Barnes recharged with Suns

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/07/22/20080722suns0723.html

Matt Barnes was anticipating nothing but great things at this time a year ago. He was coming off a superb playoff run with the Golden State Warriors, and the vagabond forward felt he finally was within reach of finding a long-term home.

A few months later, with the season getting under way, his world collapsed. His 52-year-old mother, Ann, died of cancer, and Barnes went through a difficult 2007-08 campaign.

The free-agent forward, 28, signed a one-year deal with the Suns on Tuesday, and he hopes new surroundings and a fresh start with his sixth NBA team will re-energize his career. He signed for $1.2 million, but the Suns are responsible for only $797,000, with the rest coming from a league fund.
You must be registered for see images

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said he sympathized with the difficult circumstances surrounding Barnes. He said that, along with his willingness to turn down more money elsewhere because of his desire to play in Phoenix, shows a lot about his character.

The 6-foot-7, 226-pound Barnes played two years for the Warriors and has averaged 6.1 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career with Golden State, New York, Philadelphia, Sacramento and the Los Angeles Clippers. He averaged 6.7 points in 2007-2008 and described the season as an emotional rollercoaster.

"My mother was my best friend," he said. "She was diagnosed with cancer November 1, and she died the 27th of November. So that process was really tough, and I kind of had to be the backbone for my family, and still at the same time, the crazy thing about it was the whole time my mother was sick, she's like, 'You need to get back out on the court, you need to be with your team.'

"I couldn't really grasp that, because losing my mom was losing my best friend, so it was a tough situation."

Barnes tried his best to work through the pain, but he eventually landed a seat at the end of coach Don Nelson's bench.

He said he learned a lot about himself during that period, especially on how to take things in stride.

"I was pretty much under the weather the whole season, just as far as missing my mom and trying to deal with basketball and the rest of my family," he said. "I got counseling with a family counselor (after the season) and really got my feelings out and talked about it.

"I'm at peace at where she's at now, and what she's doing, and I know she's watching down, so now I'm ready to get back out there and not duplicate but go a little bit further with what I did a couple of years ago."

Despite having only a one-year deal, Barnes is confident that things will work out, adding he can see himself finishing his career with the Suns and "winning a few titles."

"I've always been hungry, because my career has been a one-year deal," he said. "When I'm out there, I'm going to play 100 percent, no matter what."

Barnes is valued as a versatile player on both ends of the court. He's known for being able to get under an opponent's skin, which he considers part of his job description.

"Anything I can do to mentally distract somebody, kind of take away their focus from what they need to do, is a good job," he said.

IMHO, Barnes should be a better than adequate substitue for GG. GG was a more consistent outside shooter, but Barnes should be a better defender and rebounder able to the play SF.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
VIDEO of the above article.
mms://phxsuns.wmod.llnwd.net/a205/o2/barnes_080722.wmv
I'm excited for Barnes. He had a breakout performance in the '06-'07 playoffs and appered ready to elevate his game with more opportunities in '07-'08 but as the article & video shows, it wasn't meant to be quite yet.
I'm hoping he shines this year for the SUNS & for himself.
PUMPED!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMHO, Barnes should be a better than adequate substitue for GG. GG was a more consistent outside shooter, but Barnes should be a better defender and rebounder able to the play SF.
Not to mention that Barnes will bring a little more feistyness and toughness than GG did and Barnes is a much better athlete.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well, can't wait to see Barnes in action always liked the guy and I know he struggled last year, but I think he will definitely help out this team. He also brings some more size, although he's not huge, but he's bigger than Giricek.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I think they will try to evolve a 10 man lineup.

Shaq - Lopez
Stoudemire - Diaw
Hill - Barnes
Bell - Barbosa
Nash - some PG

That leaves Tucker and Strawberry as role guys spending time in D-League. Another inside guy will be on the regular roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What pgs are potentially available at this point (FA or trade)?

I think we are going to have to get Dragic or the backup pg duties will be DJ and LB.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think they will try to evolve a 10 man lineup.

Shaq - Lopez
Stoudemire - Diaw
Hill - Barnes
Bell - Barbosa
Nash - some PG

That leaves Tucker and Strawberry as role guys spending time in D-League. Another inside guy will be on the regular roster.
You're probably right about that rotation.

I've always felt, though, that ideally a Championship contender should be at least 3-deep at PG and C, and 2-deep at SG, SF and PF, to play from a position of strength.

With a 9- or even 10-man rotation. That way, you always have two legitimate Point Guards and 2 legitimate Centers available in the case of injury, foul trouble, suspension, fatigue, match-ups, etc.

My only exception would be if you have 3 healthy, talented Guards who are skilled swingmen. The same with Forwards. Or twin towers at C and PF.

But it would take skilled swingmen to accomplish it, something the Suns have not had. Amare or Diaw moved up to Center--no. Barbosa at the Point--no.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
"I've always been hungry, because my career has been a one-year deal," he said. "When I'm out there, I'm going to play 100 percent, no matter what."

We have a winner. Not saying "110 percent" shows actual intelligence.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

We have a winner. Not saying "110 percent" shows actual intelligence.
I like your post, Cheesewater. Except for open ended things such as gasoline prices, for example -- which reflects rate of increase, rather than capability.

If someone exceeds what was thought of as his or her 100%, it evidently wasn't.

Perhaps it should be called a "perfect 100%" . . . but that would be as superfluous as a "full stop" at a stop sign. A "stop" is either lack of motion or it's not.

OK, I'm done. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What pgs are potentially available at this point (FA or trade)?

I think we are going to have to get Dragic or the backup pg duties will be DJ and LB.

I want the Suns to sign Dragic as their backup PG now and hopefully he will be the PG of the future. However, a Boston paper was speculating Cassell might come to the Suns. I'm sure there must be other lower tier options. Did Jason Williams or Arroyo sign anywhere?

If DJ or LB is the primary backup PG, the Suns should just as well as kiss the post season goodbye or expect a early exit. Kerr even said in an article that he is not counting on DJ as the backup PG as he is more of a combo guard... or words to that effect. And the Suns already know LB is not a PG. There must be some available PG riding the bench out there or a FA. I saw today that Brevin Knight was traded for Jason Hart which probably means nothing except there are some PG bodies floating around out there.

I think the Suns have their eyes on Dragic first. I think Cassell will turn 39 in November.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Sam has much left, but I'm not sure who the remaining prospects are either.

Change in subject: I was intrigued by this comment on Barnes

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/121419

A former high school all-American wide receiver in Sacramento, Barnes has some of the physical tools of a Shawn Marion — he guarded everyone from point guards to centers at Golden State, has great leaping ability and loves to finish on the break. But also brings the no-holdsbarred mentality of a Raja Bell — doing the dirty work defensively.

The knock against Barnes has been that his effectiveness lies in playing amid chaos, and that he struggles in a slower, more structured game. But while the Suns figure to be more deliberate with Shaquille O’Neal in the middle, the Suns still want to use their signature up-tempo, createmismatches style that was effective for him in Golden State.

Barnes could start or back up Grant Hill at small forward. He can defend point guards with his quickness and big forwards — as he proved with Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs — with his toughness. He shot 36 percent from 3-point range two years ago, although that part of his game (29 percent) also tumbled last year.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, if u realise, the addition of Barnes, plus Tucker's good show in summer league, have made Diaw, and even Barbosa more and more expendable. It remains highly possible one of them got traded b4 training camp, or maybe even both. During such a trade, we'll probably retrieve a backup PG, and expiring contract.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Guys, if u realise, the addition of Barnes, plus Tucker's good show in summer league, have made Diaw, and even Barbosa more and more expendable. It remains highly possible one of them got traded b4 training camp, or maybe even both. During such a trade, we'll probably retrieve a backup PG, and expiring contract.

I think Diaw has been expendable for a while.

Barbosa and Bell are the only 3pt shooters on the roster, therefore I think he is much more valuable.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

Right now it is not clear there is anybody who wants Diaw more than the Suns. He's making as much as the Hawks are offering Josh Smith. Why do people keep insisting he can be traded for value?

Boris will be on the team this year. You can trade him for garbage, but with his contract not much more. There is hope he can up his game, but even if all he does is sit, the Suns don't have any more draft picks to throw away to unload him.

As for Barbosa, I think it is premature to give his slot to Tucker. Tucker has not proven himself as an outside shooter. He needs to prove himself in the NBA and not just summer league and D-League.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Barnes: He can defend point guards with his quickness

All the more reason he should start with Nash & Barbosa....leaving Hill & Bell to come off the bench w/Diaw.
IMO Barnes will be the starter here but we'll just have to wait & see.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless the "deal of the century" presents itself, we're gonna need Diaw's ability to defend the post as well as create offense
(not necessarily score alot) from there.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the "deal of the century" presents itself, we're gonna need Diaw's ability to defend the post as well as create offense
(not necessarily score alot) from there.

Boris has long arms and can defend guys who are listed two or three inches taller. He's not hugely strong, but he's the same guy on defense as he was in 2005-06. On a team with only three other inside guys, you can't trade him for a guard without a plan for who will play inside.

Unlike virtually everyone else, Boris had better stats (other than free throw shooting) in the playoffs than during the regular season.

Season 8.8 ppg, 47.7% 31.7% for three 74.4% FT, 4.6 rpg
Playoff 14.8 ppg, 54.7% no threes, 50% FT 5.6 rpg.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Stats only show half of the player. We all know clearly what is Diaw's problem. He is versatile and capable of playing some positions in some games against some opponents with quality performance. But in general, his game is in middle of no where. Tell me which position u can start him in this team, or in any contender in the league. Even D'Antoni couldn't!

I don't think we can trade Diaw for something in good value ... The best we can get would probably be one usefull role player plus expiring contract. Such as, if New York could eventually unload Zach Randolph, they'll probably take Diaw by giving us Malik Rose and David Lee (decent backup PF). Otherwise, we'll probably just dump Diaw for cap space and use MLE on quality FAs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison