AZ 42 DET 17 Assessments

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What a reverse outcome of a week ago. The Cardinals this week created the turnovers (6 of them to be exact) and scored an array of TDs (6 of them), not FGs. Coaches talk about "cleaning things up" after sloppy games---and while the Cardinals still have some things to clean up, the clean up from last week has left quite a polish on their early ascension into first place in the NFC West.

Watching the Lions on MNF was a help---first of all, it made it clear to the Cardinals that even though the Lions were 0-4, they remain a very talented team, one very capable of beating even the Seahawks in Seattle.

The 4 PM (EST) start was a help to both teams as that's the normal staring time for the Cardinals and with the Lions coming off a short week, it gave them a little extra time to get themselves ready to turn things back in their favor.

Clearly, from the start, the Cardinals' defense appeared well aware of the Lions' offensive tendencies and were able to cash in early on the first of Rashad Johnson's two interceptions. Johnson may not be the fastest FS on the block, but he is mentally tough and knows how to anticipate throws.

Combine Johnson's play with two other Johnny-on-the-spot safeties in Tony Jefferson and Tyrann Mathieu and what you have is a trio of superb, capitalistic playmakers. Jefferson was at the top of his game---landing tough hits and strips on the Detroit RBs and TEs. Mathieu needs to be accounted for at all times, because he has a nose for the ball and a penchant for creating chaos in that backfield off of blitzes.

One gets the sense that the Rams' physical play in the secondary the week before re-energized and motivated the Cardinals' secondary.

Patrick Peterson did a fabulous job on Megatron for the second year in a row, save the two holding penalties, the first of which was iffy, the second of which was unjustified. Peterson remains a little too handsy in his coverage, and one would think he would be given more of a benefit of the doubt by the officials, but that was not the case in this game. However, what was great to see was the adjustment he made on Calvin Johnson when he shunned the hands-on approach to shadow coverage which allowed him to turn his head back to the ball when Johnson did. In doing so, Peterson recorded a textbook interception on an intended back shoulder fade---and he converted it into a 40 yard dash return.

At ILB Kevin Minter and Deone Bucannon are establishing themselves as reliable playmakers, shooting gaps and chasing plays down laterally. They also have been very solid in coverage.

Up front, Calais Campbell at the NT position continues to be an ingenious ploy by young DC James Bettcher. Campbell's size, strength and slither-ability is especially daunting for opposing QBs.

When the Lions abandoned their running game, we saw Bettcher switch into a 4 man front with some timely LB and S blitzes. Corey Redding's textbook read and react interception of a Stafford screen pass, showed not only how great it is to have veterans like Redding in the rotation, but how well Bettcher and the defense is trying to address what has been a perennial weakness---screen pass coverage.

Rodney Gunter was especially active in the middle and Josh Mauro made a superb play diving in for Abdullah's fumble and ripping it away from him. However, the Cardinals need to defend the off-tackle plays better as rookie Zach Zenner beat them on several good runs.

The best edge rusher on this day was Markus Golden, who created pressures on his outside rush---and while he was steered wide of the target, he made his presence felt.

Alex Okafor was not having one of his better games and seemed a little out of sorts, especially missing an easy tackle on a swing pass when he tried to tackle too high. Alas, he injured a calf and is now awaiting MRI results back in AZ. This is tough news for the Cardinals, who have not been getting any real pressures from LaMarr Woodley. Kareem Martin and Josh Mauro will likely get more edge rushes from the nickel but they would appear to be too heavy to play in space as 34 OLBs. Could Shaq Riddick be brought into the fold this week?

A suggestion from my post last week was to try Sean Weatherspoon at OLB---which now seems like a given. Another answer could be Alani Fua, who saw some solid action at ILB in the 4th quarter and showed good chasing speed.

Steve Keim may have to try to make a trade---and one willing participant may be the Kansas City Chiefs, who have just lost RB Jamaal Charles. While it would be tough to give up RB Andre Ellington, could he land the Cardinals Tamba Hali or Dee Ford? Hali's salary was all in a $5M signing bonus and thus all it would cost the Cardinals this year is about $680K. Ford broke a rib in pre-season, but he is healthy again and his pro-rated salary for this year would be around $720K and his salaries for 2016 and 2017 are in the $1.5M range per.

There are no OLBers on the Cardinals' PS.

Tough break for ST LB Kenny Demens, who was off to a good start this year. If Keim promotes from within, PS ILB Gabe Martin is the next man up.

As for the the offense---it was tough to imagine going two consecutive 3 and outs after the defense got them the ball. On the first series, BA tested the interior of the Lions' line, decimated by the loss of starters Ngata and Walker---but what makes the Lions tough in the middle is their propensity to run blitz up the A and B gaps, which is what Chris Johnson was met with twice in a row.

After going 2 for -1 yards, it was tough to imagine that Johnson's next 9 carries would result in 107 yards. And then a 3 carry 63 yard performance from Andre Ellington. on top of two solid rush TDs from rookie David Johnson. The adjustment BA made was running away from the inside run blitzes through the C and D gaps.

Gotta love the way Chris Johnson maintains his balance and lunges forward after solid contact on his carries. Love too his nose for daylight and how he kicks into that added gear in the open field. Ellington can learn a lot from him in these regards and it looks like he already has.

David Johnson's power has been a superb surprise. He hit those TD runs hard and finished them off with bang.

On the second three and out, Carson Palmer picked up where he left off the week before by sailing a couple of passes---but, on the third series he settled down beautifully and threw two picture perfect strikes to TE Darren Fells, the second of which was the best TE red zone seam TD we have seen in years.

The epitome of Palmer's performance came on the masterful 99 yard drive where he dropped the deep sideline go to a streaking John Brown "in the basket." Then, Palmer's TD pass to Brown on the post/cross pattern was on the money.

The play of WR Larry Fitzgerald continues to be an inspiration---not only that he caught a league leading 6th TD, but how about the blocks he threw to spring Johnson and Ellington---plus, the ball he caught in traffic while surrounded by three DBs was classic Fitz, and he even tried to drag the DBs into the end zone.

Play call of the day by the FOX crew? Calling the WR screen to John Brown a "Smoke Screen"!

The offensive line had a big day---but they also know they have to clean up their interior protection on twists and A gap blitzes. As much as BA puts Carson Palmer in a "zero" formation (0 backs), the guards and center need to know their assignments and switches pre-snap and be able to execute them. Twice in this game in particular, Iupati didn't switch on a T/E twist and Ziggy Ansah came at Palmer untouched, and on another occasion ILB Josh Bynes came right through Sendlein's and Cooper's A cap untouched at was at Palmer with a second of catching the snap. These interior mistakes were magnified last week versus the Rams and remain a high priority moving ahead.

The special teams were solid, save a couple of poor punts by Drew Butler, which would seem inexcusable when punting in a dome. He was saved on a third short punt when the ball hit the turf and got a good bounce.

Chandler Catanzaro's kickoff were better this week, which showed progress.

Patrick Peterson is starting to look comfortable as the punt returner.

Brittan Golden was solid on his one punt return and he made a nice tackle in punt coverage.

Justin Bethel was the ace on STs again and his blitz in the second half on defense was impressive.

So---the team is spending the week at the Greenbrier in West Virginia---and Carson Palmer was emphatic that the team would not be using the spa because it is a business trip---but, as long as they practice hard and keep their impressive film study on track, there's nothing wrong with the players and coaches hitting the spa or the golf course in their free time. This team has earned the right to carpe the diem.

There is no question that the team knows how much this upcoming game in Pittsburgh means to BA. BA will likely downplay it---but everyone knows what beating the Steelers at Heinz Field would feel like for BA. One can imagine his saying something to the effect of "reports of my retirement have been grossly exaggerated.":newcards:

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be interested in the Hali trade, but Ford isn't good at all.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, couple of things:
1. Should we be worried about Dan Orlovsky's performance? I haven't seen the game, but it seems he went no huddle and moved the ball pretty well. Or was it that we were just playing the clock?
2. We'll know that this is the Cards' year, if Riddick or Weatherspoon comes in and plays well at OLB.
3. Problem with trading AE is that we'd be one injury away (CJ) from having a DJ/Taylor backfield. Of course, KC would be crazy to make the deal, because if they couldn't win with Charles, why would AE make any difference? He's already (last year) shown that he's not an every down back.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I would be interested in the Hali trade, but Ford isn't good at all.

I still think Dee Ford will be good---but going by what you are saying maybe the Cardinals wouldn't have to part with a player like Ellington in order to acquire him. For Hali too, perhaps, seeing as he is a UFA next year.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, couple of things:
1. Should we be worried about Dan Orlovsky's performance? I haven't seen the game, but it seems he went no huddle and moved the ball pretty well. Or was it that we were just playing the clock?
2. We'll know that this is the Cards' year, if Riddick or Weatherspoon comes in and plays well at OLB.
3. Problem with trading AE is that we'd be one injury away (CJ) from having a DJ/Taylor backfield. Of course, KC would be crazy to make the deal, because if they couldn't win with Charles, why would AE make any difference? He's already (last year) shown that he's not an every down back.

1. The Cardinals' secondary started to get gassed---and who can blame them? So did the rushers. Also, it sure is easier to pass when you have nothing to lose. However, watching Nick Foles struggle versus the Packers' rush, which was good from the edge is an indicator that the Cardinals really need better pressure, especially from the edge if they are going to contend for championships.
2. I think Weatherspoon may carve himself a nice role---if his head is on straight and he can stay healthy. Riddick probably should be used initially as a situational edge rusher.
3. Yeah, good points. No fan wants to see the Cardinals trade Ellington and compromise the good RB depth the Cardinals have. But, if the Cardinals are going to contend, they need to add an edge pass rusher, especially now that Okafor may be out indefinitely. If Nick Foles can have his way and not fear the Cardinals' rush---imagine what Aaron Rodgers and other top QBs can do. To get a promising edge rusher the Cardinals will have to pay a price at this point. How about Shaq Barrett of the Broncos? Might be harder to trade for now that DeMarcus Ware was injured.

Anyone have an edge rusher in mind whom you think Steve Keim may be able to acquire?

Many of us have been wondering about Dwight Freeney---but there has been no word about him anywhere, has there?

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Damn good post Mitch & spot on! :thumbup:

Luv that thought of Hali for Dre, never thought of that. Problem is would KC be willing to make that deal when their season is going nowhere at 1-5?

This team has to get an edge rusher right now IMO for the stretch drive, a Super Bowl title may be hinging on that. I'm intrigued by Shaqs speed & think he could perform just as well as Woodley in the worst case scenario.

In case we don't go after Hali, how do you think Freeney would perform in Cardinal Red? I know his sack numbers were down last year, but he still had 40 QB pressures last year. I've been pimping him to the Big Red for 3 games now.

Buckybird

Reaction score
But, if the Cardinals are going to contend, they need to add an edge pass rusher, especially now that Okafor may be out indefinitely. If Nick Foles can have his way and not fear the Cardinals' rush---imagine what Aaron Rodgers and other top QBs can do.

Yeppers!

Btw I just can't see Spoon being something he's really not been for his career...a sackman or even a big pressure player off the edge.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Yeppers!

Btw I just can't see Spoon being something he's really not been for his career...a sackman or even a big pressure player off the edge.

Heck---the way Justin Bethel blitzed the edge---that was some kind of impressive, very A-Dub-esque!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Damn good post Mitch & spot on! :thumbup:

Luv that thought of Hali for Dre, never thought of that. Problem is would KC be willing to make that deal when their season is going nowhere at 1-5?

This team has to get an edge rusher right now IMO for the stretch drive, a Super Bowl title may be hinging on that. I'm intrigued by Shaqs speed & think he could perform just as well as Woodley in the worst case scenario.

In case we don't go after Hali, how do you think Freeney would perform in Cardinal Red? I know his sack numbers were down last year, but he still had 40 QB pressures last year. I've been pimping him to the Big Red for 3 games now.

Ellington is Andy Reid's kind of all-purpose RB and the fact that it will take Charles time to recover and given that Ellington has another year on his contract beyond this year---plus, knowing Reid and that a wild card in the AFC this year might be 8-8---there might be some interest from the Chiefs, who have dang good talent otherwise.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Ellington is Andy Reid's kind of all-purpose RB and the fact that it will take Charles time to recover and given that Ellington has another year on his contract beyond this year---plus, knowing Reid and that a wild card in the AFC this year might be 8-8---there might be some interest from the Chiefs, who have dang good talent otherwise.

Very good points.

So what about Freeney?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're going to trade a regular rotation guy I would think Floyd would be more likely than Ellington but hard to say.

Ellington might be tough to trade, he's got the reputation as not being an every down guy and he has also essentially outplayed his rookie contract so teams may think of him as a guy who's going to want a new deal.

I like the trio of RB's we have now, if we can get any help at OLB for Floyd I'd love to do it. KC also needs help at WR they're the team that went ages without a WR TD catch so instead of offering Ellington maybe Floyd.

My guess is we won't make any trades at all, they're just not that common in the NFl.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Very good points.

So what about Freeney?

Just saw that KC is brining in Ben Tate for a visit. Tate has not looked good in a while, however.

There's been no word on whether Freeney is even considering a return to the NFL and one would think if he were interested then he would be signed by someone by now. Plus, is he in football shape? Rushing the passer requires great stamina.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Just saw that KC is brining in Ben Tate for a visit. Tate has not looked good in a while, however.

There's been no word on whether Freeney is even considering a return to the NFL and one would think if he were interested then he would be signed by someone by now. Plus, is he in football shape? Rushing the passer requires great stamina.

I saw a segment on TV about 3 weeks ago, showing him training & pushing for the right team to sign him, that's when I started tooting his horn. He looked pretty good to me, but $$$ may become the issue.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If I were GM -- two guys I would try to acquire:

the already mentioned Tamba Hali of KC, and

Elvis Dumervil of the Ravens

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
If I were GM -- two guys I would try to acquire:

the already mentioned Tamba Hali of KC, and

Elvis Dumervil of the Ravens

Dumervil missed the 2nd half of yesterday's game with a groin injury---plus, with Suggs on the IR, he's their only bona fide edge rusher now. His salary for the next three years is very team friendly at $4-5M per, although he is 31.

Good call, though. He would be a huge upgrade, if healthy.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Our defense was definitely gassed at the end. Hell, DET dominated TOP and our offense had a short field to work on virtually all day. I think DET set an NFL record for passing attempts in the game yesterday (70+?). That'll wear any defender out.

That being said, the Cards were just playing the clock at that point. Soft coverage, sure tackles. That was the name of the game. Garbage time will make the stats a little less impressive, but the D was very, very solid today.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our defense was definitely gassed at the end. Hell, DET dominated TOP and our offense had a short field to work on virtually all day. I think DET set an NFL record for passing attempts in the game yesterday (70+?). That'll wear any defender out.

That being said, the Cards were just playing the clock at that point. Soft coverage, sure tackles. That was the name of the game. Garbage time will make the stats a little less impressive, but the D was very, very solid today.

I read somewhere that Detroit had like 95 offensive snaps in the game which is 30 more than their average. Of course the defense is going to be gassed in that situation. In any case, garbage time defense should be of minimal concern.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much complaining as there has been about Minter being slow and a liability in coverage, I'm surprised no one has rebutted the statement that "Minter is establishing himself as a reliable playmaker"

Weatherspoon at OLB? He was inactive for the game, unless I'm mistaken. That tells me what the coaches think about using him for anything more than helping the trainers load cases of adhesive tape.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As much complaining as there has been about Minter being slow and a liability in coverage, I'm surprised no one has rebutted the statement that "Minter is establishing himself as a reliable playmaker"

Weatherspoon at OLB? He was inactive for the game, unless I'm mistaken. That tells me what the coaches think about using him for anything more than helping the trainers load cases of adhesive tape.
I'm not as disappointed as some with Minter--IMO he does what he's capable of doing.

You know the player hurt most by our journeyman LB core? Calais Cambell, by far and without question. He really sacrifices a lot for this team. The guy could be a JJ Watt type player in a different scheme with a different supporting cast. He is unquestionably the best player, sometimes better than 2 or 3 guys combined, all along the line and past the line-backing unit. You have to go into the secondary and safeties to find anyone close in talent on the defensive unit.

I've seen Cambell numerous times over the past few weeks, while playing the nose, stand the Center and Left Guard up, with one hand on each line-men's pad. That's perfect for a twist, stunt, or any kind of action from a competent LB. That's making a play for your teammates, but too often the LBs just crash into the line instead of exploding through gaps. Other times, especially against St Louis, he tried to beat the double teams on speed rushes and had good penetration in those games. He's very versatile.

Too often however, his sacrifice is for naught. Cambell can only bench press two 330 lb linemen with each arm for so long. Line play is about balance and leverage, you have to have either fast LBs or LBs with great play recognition to run through those gaps. We have neither.

End of rant. Feel much better. Lol

(edit: Freeney will know exactly how to take advantage of what Cambell is doing, I just don't know if he has the athleticism to capitalize)

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, Darkside. Minter is what he is. I watched him a lot at LSU and had much higher hopes for him, much like I did for his teammate, Ali Highsmith, but we know how that turned out.

As far as watching Calais goes, I don't have much knowledge of interior line play so I'm like... I don't know much about art but I know what I like, kind of thing and I like watching him play.

btw, are you a fan of Campbell? :D

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heck---the way Justin Bethel blitzed the edge---that was some kind of impressive, very A-Dub-esque!

That was awesome. Glad they tried that, he is so quick off the edge on kicks, why not?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Detroit had like 95 offensive snaps in the game which is 30 more than their average. Of course the defense is going to be gassed in that situation. In any case, garbage time defense should be of minimal concern.

I think they were gassed from blocking on all those interception returns.:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard