AZ 42 DET 17 Assessments

RINGLESS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen a couple people say Okafor had a below average game. Here is what I saw on the plays he had a hand in on the All 22:

14:18 Left in the first quarter pushes his man back to the point he is lateral to Stafford. Flushes stafford to his left Stafford throws across his body while running left results in an interception.

10:04 Comes from the outside of the left tackle. He cuts all the way across to make a top on the right side to make a tackle after a 4 yd gain.

4:04 in the first. Reads screen correctly and misses tackle. Would have been a play for no gain and instead results in a gain of 6

8:53 2nd qtr It is a run play and Buccannon shoots the gap Okafor sheds black to assist in finishing the tackle

5:54 2nd QTR Okafor this time is lined up over the RT and beats his man resulting in a QB pressure and disrupting the throw. It in intended for Golden Tate deep left but ends up being overthrown.

3:11 Okafor Again lined up over the RT. Instantly pushes his man back into Stafford. Stafford just throws the ball at the ground

3:03 Okafor is left unblocked and runs straight towards stafford, stafford has to throw it quickly and does a touch pass over Okafor who tries to jump to bat it down. Incomplete.

:57 Okafor again pushes his man right into Staffords lap. Stafford dumps the pass off while his linemen is on top of him to his RB for a loss of 1.

1:07 left in the third. Okafor blows past his man it’s a quick screen to Golden Tate and he throws a hand up to deflect the pass incomplete.

One thing is he really does only have one move and thats his bull rush. Even then he occasionally has bad pad level and gets stood up and neutralized.

I love the Cardinals as much as anyone, and I like to delve into things like the cap in the NFC West. But at the same time it's my nature to look for weakness. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy our wins or all that we accomplish. There is no doubt that our offense is playing at a high level. But I think our Defense is going to give us a few big let downs this season.

I only watched until the end of the third on the all 22. We didn't have one three and out forced on Defense. Some of the interceptions we got seemed like the QB and the WR had different plays in mind. Ie: Peterson interception, one of Rashad's interception. The first interception of the game while it was a throw Stafford can make. It was a poor choice for a right armed QB to be running left laterally and try to throw that across his body. As a result he floated it.

I really don't have anything to say negative about our offense. Of course there is going to be missed plays but Carson makes the right reads, our line opens up holes and we have good blocking at the second level.

Once we start playing a little better competition I think we will find out that our defense can be a liability at times. Luckily we have some of the most intelligent DB's in the league to make up for the LB situation and it's an ugly one right now.

I know Arians said Freeney might only get 15-20 Snaps a game but I think he might easily take over Woodleys role and that Woodley could end up with a significant decrease in playing time.

I wouldn't mind trading Ellington for Tambi, but not Dee Ford. Dee Ford is a complete unknown for everyone including the Chiefs. Ellington is a known with a lot of film. We need someone to help with the pass rush to push us over the edge.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I've seen a couple people say Okafor had a below average game. Here is what I saw on the plays he had a hand in on the All 22:

14:18 Left in the first quarter pushes his man back to the point he is lateral to Stafford. Flushes stafford to his left Stafford throws across his body while running left results in an interception.

10:04 Comes from the outside of the left tackle. He cuts all the way across to make a top on the right side to make a tackle after a 4 yd gain.

4:04 in the first. Reads screen correctly and misses tackle. Would have been a play for no gain and instead results in a gain of 6

8:53 2nd qtr It is a run play and Buccannon shoots the gap Okafor sheds black to assist in finishing the tackle

5:54 2nd QTR Okafor this time is lined up over the RT and beats his man resulting in a QB pressure and disrupting the throw. It in intended for Golden Tate deep left but ends up being overthrown.

3:11 Okafor Again lined up over the RT. Instantly pushes his man back into Stafford. Stafford just throws the ball at the ground

3:03 Okafor is left unblocked and runs straight towards stafford, stafford has to throw it quickly and does a touch pass over Okafor who tries to jump to bat it down. Incomplete.

:57 Okafor again pushes his man right into Staffords lap. Stafford dumps the pass off while his linemen is on top of him to his RB for a loss of 1.

1:07 left in the third. Okafor blows past his man it’s a quick screen to Golden Tate and he throws a hand up to deflect the pass incomplete.

One thing is he really does only have one move and thats his bull rush. Even then he occasionally has bad pad level and gets stood up and neutralized.

I love the Cardinals as much as anyone, and I like to delve into things like the cap in the NFC West. But at the same time it's my nature to look for weakness. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy our wins or all that we accomplish. There is no doubt that our offense is playing at a high level. But I think our Defense is going to give us a few big let downs this season.

I only watched until the end of the third on the all 22. We didn't have one three and out forced on Defense. Some of the interceptions we got seemed like the QB and the WR had different plays in mind. Ie: Peterson interception, one of Rashad's interception. The first interception of the game while it was a throw Stafford can make. It was a poor choice for a right armed QB to be running left laterally and try to throw that across his body. As a result he floated it.

I really don't have anything to say negative about our offense. Of course there is going to be missed plays but Carson makes the right reads, our line opens up holes and we have good blocking at the second level.

Once we start playing a little better competition I think we will find out that our defense can be a liability at times. Luckily we have some of the most intelligent DB's in the league to make up for the LB situation and it's an ugly one right now.

I know Arians said Freeney might only get 15-20 Snaps a game but I think he might easily take over Woodleys role and that Woodley could end up with a significant decrease in playing time.

I wouldn't mind trading Ellington for Tambi, but not Dee Ford. Dee Ford is a complete unknown for everyone including the Chiefs. Ellington is a known with a lot of film. We need someone to help with the pass rush to push us over the edge.

I would mind trading Ellington because this is a game of depth. Sure we look like we have a three headed monster at the back position but one cannot lose sight one gets banged up, one is thirty and the other is a rookie and having then all three backs being a huge advantage in my opinion :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Great post! Thank you!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I would mind trading Ellington because this is a game of depth. Sure we look like we have a three headed monster at the back position but one cannot lose sight one gets banged up, one is thirty and the other is a rookie and having then all three backs being a huge advantage in my opinion :)

badda-bing! :thumbup:

We have another rookie they're high on; - M. Golden - use him. Get Martin more involved.

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can net a player that can upgrade one of our biggest weaknesses at a premier position (Like Hali) for a 26 year old, often injured backup running back (Ellington) I'm pretty sure that's a no brainer.

I personally don't think Ellington's trade value is very high. If this was reversed, I think we would want more in return for a proven pass rusher. Michael Floyd or Bobbie Massie would probably be more realistic.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can net a player that can upgrade one of our biggest weaknesses at a premier position (Like Hali) for a 26 year old, often injured backup running back (Ellington) I'm pretty sure that's a no brainer.

I personally don't think Ellington's trade value is very high. If this was reversed, I think we would want more in return for a proven pass rusher. Michael Floyd or Bobbie Massie would probably be more realistic.

I think Floyd is the more logical choice to trade although I don't think we HAVE to trade him unless the deal is right. He has only 8 catches and no TD's yet and the offense is humming along. If he picks it up we'll get better but the idea is we can probably afford to lose him more than Ellington IMO.

The problem as others have said is we look great at RB right now but trade Andre and now it's just Chris and David with the 3rd string RB being Taylor or Kerwynn. Make that trade and you're now relying on a 30 year old coming off a gunshot wound, and a rookie RB.

I think it's kind of moot, NFL teams don't normally trade good pass rushers.

RINGLESS

Veteran
Reaction score
Today's article on the main site almost quotes what I said about Okafor exactly on the 4th play of the game

"WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va. – On the fourth play of the Cardinals’ 42-17 victory on Sunday, pocket pressure by linebacker Alex Okafor forced Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford to scramble left." Stafford had an open receiver, but throwing across his body while on the run proved too difficult. The pass sailed five yards short of its target, landing in the waiting hands of safety Rashad Johnson.

Anyways, some stats don't show up on the stat sheet. Okafor has been pretty good for us this year. Very happy to hear his injury is minor. Don't take him for granted.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Today's article on the main site almost quotes what I said about Okafor exactly on the 4th play of the game

"WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va. – On the fourth play of the Cardinals’ 42-17 victory on Sunday, pocket pressure by linebacker Alex Okafor forced Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford to scramble left." Stafford had an open receiver, but throwing across his body while on the run proved too difficult. The pass sailed five yards short of its target, landing in the waiting hands of safety Rashad Johnson.

Anyways, some stats don't show up on the stat sheet. Okafor has been pretty good for us this year. Very happy to hear his injury is minor. Don't take him for granted.

Good point! Thank you for pointing this out!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it was in garbage time & it was limited action, but Fua looked pretty good out there. Coverage & blitzing. The way he was closed in on Dan O was insane. Wouldn't mind seeing him get more PT.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard