ASU 2007-2008 Men's Basketball Thread

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
FYI Harden made the midseason top 30 for the Naismith award list, Bayless didn't.

Assuming it's based on Bayless missing games.

Yeah I saw that too, its pretty funny considering how well Harden is playing, Bayless might be playing even better. Also the list is a joke, because you dont even have to be on it to win the award. I dont think Harden comes close, but it sure is an accomplishment that he deserves.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I dont think Harden comes close, but it sure is an accomplishment that he deserves.

Umm im confused by the nature of this sentence:shrug:

Bayless and Harden are both playing well. The difference is ASU is seen as a one man show (and Devil fans before you go all crazy - i mean on a national level - no one outside of 480 know who the hell Jeff Pendergraph is) and is carrying them.

Bayless has help from future lotto pick Budinger and Jordan Hill.

Pretty funny how even though that is the case there numbers are very similar. Take from that what you will.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bayless and Harden are both playing well. The difference is ASU is seen as a one man show (and Devil fans before you go all crazy - i mean on a national level - no one outside of 480 know who the hell Jeff Pendergraph is) and is carrying them.

Bayless has help from future lotto pick Budinger and Jordan Hill.

Pretty funny how even though that is the case there numbers are very similar. Take from that what you will.

Yeah to me there's not much argument that favors one over the other. Bayless when he was out UA was clearly not the same team. Harden gets a groin injury and ASU loses 2 straight while he's playing at less than 100%. I would argue ASU only lost to UW because Harden was playing hurt.

Bayless is a better playmaker, Harden a better rebounder.

Both great players I only assume Harden made the list and Bayless didn't because Bayless played fewer games but i guess even that makes no sense 19 to 16 isn't a huge gap in games played.

Maybe the correct assumption is people consider Harden a 2 and Bayless a 1 and there's more competition at the 1?

Both great players IMHO.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

It means Harden deserves the love, just like Bayless does, only Bayless isnt on the list. They both are two of the best freshman in the country and clearly have made their teams much much better than last year. Harden wont win the award, but deserves to be on the list. Bayless deserve to be on the list as well and he has a better shot at winning the award.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i mean on a national level - no one outside of 480 know who the hell Jeff Pendergraph is)

This is funny since many draft projections last year had Pendergraph going late in the first round this year. I don't even think Pendergraph is a first rounder, but the notion that Pendergraph is a complete secret beyond Tempe is just your own naivety.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I think Pendy will stay for his senior year and then be a (deserved) 1st round pick after that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is funny since many draft projections last year had Pendergraph going late in the first round this year. I don't even think Pendergraph is a first rounder, but the notion that Pendergraph is a complete secret beyond Tempe is just your own naivety.

Hey bud - I'll tell you what. There are dozens of players listed on NBA Draft EXPRESS right now that even the most diehard of basketball fans (such as myself) don't know who the hell some of these playes are. Because a player is on these "projections" (and I stress that word) - doens't mean a damn thing in terms of if the player is any good let alone an NBA prospect.

And it certainly doesn't mean that other then the scouts who get paid for this kind of thing, know who the heck Pendergraph is. That includes the people who vote for the Wooden award (the point of my comment) That's what I mean by on a national level - the general college basketball watching populace. I would be willing to bet many of the analysts paid to know this kind of thing wouldn't know Pendergraph if he was in a police line up even.

Not to take you to task but you are A) an ASU fan and B) live in the Valley. You have little context of perception. I in turn live in Miami, talk to non AZ sports fans every day, and listen to local and national radio out here. Point being my perspective is some what less slanted.

That doesn't make my opinion's any more important than yours. But I am not claiming to understand the outside world perception while living in the asylum either ;)

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ASU plays UCLA tonight at 8:30PM. The game will be on FSN Prime Ticket and FSNAZ (delayed, 10:30 p.m.)/KTAR-FM (92.3).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU plays UCLA tonight at 8:30PM. The game will be on FSN Prime Ticket and FSNAZ (delayed, 10:30 p.m.)/KTAR-FM (92.3).

Yep this is going to be tough the game will be 90 minutes in when the new season of Lost starts.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Isn't he on track to graduate a year early?

Hm, I don't know anything about that. But from interviews I've heard with Herb and Jeff, I just sort of got the impression he was going to stay. While I think he's a terrific player, I don't think he's quite ready for the NBA. He could definitely benefit from staying another year. Plus with Harden developing more next year, and two bigger players (Coy and Rohde) coming in to help shore up ASUs front line, its reasonable to think ASU could make a nice run into the tournament next year and thus increase Pendy's exposure, and thus, his draft stock.

EDIT: VV Could be. Unless it becomes a major news story (i.e. a kid getting kicked off a team or suspended for grades), I don't really pay attention to athletes majors, grades or personal lives. I find keeping that much information in my brain about college aged males to be a bit creepy.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm, I don't know anything about that. But from interviews I've heard with Herb and Jeff, I just sort of got the impression he was going to stay. While I think he's a terrific player, I don't think he's quite ready for the NBA. He could definitely benefit from staying another year. Plus with Harden developing more next year, and two bigger players (Coy and Rohde) coming in to help shore up ASUs front line, its reasonable to think ASU could make a nice run into the tournament next year and thus increase Pendy's exposure, and thus, his draft stock.

I might be wrong. Awhile back I posted that I'd read the reason UCLA didn't offer him when they got his teammate Collison was his grades. An ASU fan corrected me saying he's a very good student and gave me a link and sure enough it said he was a Deans List student and I thought on track to graduate early.

Doesn't mean he'll leave of course, many don't. Oregon has 4 kids this year I think that already graduated, Hairston, Taylor, Leunen and one other I think.

Presumably for the reason you mentioned they think they can improve their NBA stock by staying another season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey bud - I'll tell you what. There are dozens of players listed on NBA Draft EXPRESS right now that even the most diehard of basketball fans (such as myself) don't know who the hell some of these playes are. Because a player is on these "projections" (and I stress that word) - doens't mean a damn thing in terms of if the player is any good let alone an NBA prospect.

And it certainly doesn't mean that other then the scouts who get paid for this kind of thing, know who the heck Pendergraph is. That includes the people who vote for the Wooden award (the point of my comment) That's what I mean by on a national level - the general college basketball watching populace. I would be willing to bet many of the analysts paid to know this kind of thing wouldn't know Pendergraph if he was in a police line up even.

Not to take you to task but you are A) an ASU fan and B) live in the Valley. You have little context of perception. I in turn live in Miami, talk to non AZ sports fans every day, and listen to local and national radio out here. Point being my perspective is some what less slanted.

That doesn't make my opinion's any more important than yours. But I am not claiming to understand the outside world perception while living in the asylum either ;)

It was actually an ESPN projection, and your point was no one outside of the area knew who he was, as if ASU fans had somehow overvalued his merit as a player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that was surprising, UCLA has struggled against zones the entire Howland era but ASU was so concerned about Love they gave SHipp wide open looks and he just wasn't missing.

That play by Love off the Harden made FT when he hit Collison for a layup with no dribble, that's the single best play I've seen in college all year. It wasn't a spectacular dunk or block or crossover it was an unreal play because of how hard it is to throw a chest pass that far, on the money.

Totally agree wtih the announcers last night ASU has to get help for Pendergraph, they really need Boateng to contribute.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several comments.

ASU lost this game before tip-off. Scared and intimidated the whole first half. Unsure and a step slow. No self-confidence.

Good learning experience. They'll realize that playing scared never helps or they will collapse. I think Sendek will get them righted.

The talent gap, in speed and athleticism, between UCLA and ASU, is still wide. Particularly among the bigs.

Such is life in the PAC. Get better or get squashed.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Several comments.

ASU lost this game before tip-off. Scared and intimidated the whole first half. Unsure and a step slow. No self-confidence.

Good learning experience. They'll realize that playing scared never helps or they will collapse. I think Sendek will get them righted.

The talent gap, in speed and athleticism, between UCLA and ASU, is still wide. Particularly among the bigs.

Such is life in the PAC. Get better or get squashed.

Agree.. the good thing, is a win at USC on Saturday and everyone will forget all about this loss....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree.. the good thing, is a win at USC on Saturday and everyone will forget all about this loss....

Sounds like Hackett won't play they're saying he may have a chipped hip bone and or a broken rib.

Without him ASU has a good chance to win. FYI in the post game interviews both Shipp and Westbrook mentioned they weren't sure Harden was 100% they said he was wincing on cuts and coming through screens. So he may still be having problems with the groin injury.

Sometimes the blowout losses are easier to forget than the really close ones.

Edit: Times says Hackett just has a hip pointer and is a game time decision tomorrow, no broken rib or bone chip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ASU plays Stanford tonight at 8:30pm on FSN AZ. Will you be watching the Suns game or the ASU basketball game?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU plays Stanford tonight at 8:30pm on FSN AZ. Will you be watching the Suns game or the ASU basketball game?

Yes. That's what the "Previous" button is for on my DirecTV remote. At halftime, I'll stick more with the better game of the two.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ASU game will end sooner than the Suns game,so I'll mostly watch the ASU game if it's competitive.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ASU takes on Washington followed by U of A vs Washington St. The ASU game is at 4pm on FSN AZ

GO DEVILS
:sparky:

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ASU plays UCLA tonight at 8:30 on FSN AZ. Daron Sutton will be taking the place of Trey Bender for both the UCLA and USC game.

GO DEVILS
:sparky:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard