Ask Gil Brandt

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
So, as usual, I tried asking Gil some questions about the Cardinals - about what he thought of Warner's performance, how the defense seems to be MUCH better than last season, how much of an impact Steve Breaston's late scratch and Boldin being dinged-up had on the Cards in week 1, how Hightower and Wells seem to complement each other well, and so on.... And as usual, he didn't answer a single Cardinals question until this FF question came up:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Karyn, NJ 12:50 PM ET
Chris Wells is supposed to make a big impact in AZ. So far, it looks like Hightower is safe as the starting RB. Do you think Wells is overrated or just needs time to get acclimated to the NFL?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com
I think Wells might be a little overrated. He had the good fortune of playing on a very good Ohio State team. I don't like his lower-body build for being an NFL running back. He does show flashes, but also has a tendency to fumble the ball.

Tim Hightower has made an impact catching the football so far this season. I don't think he's a great plsyer, but I do think he's a very solid player.
-----------------------------------------------------------
So, despite: 1. missing most of camp 2. turning in some seriously good runs on a team that is not known for getting big runs and 3. it's only week 2, Wells is overrated?

And he has a "tendancy" to fumble?

WRT the "fumble" label, I can understand how a guy who didn't watch the game could come to that conclusion, but overrated? Come on Gil!!!!

When Whiz brings him along slowly (a la DRC), corrects the fumblitis, and lets him loose mid-season he's gonna make everyone wonder how in the heck they passed on this kid in April. His instincts, power, and speed are OBVIOUS. He already seems to have more of "it" than any Cardinals back I have seen in a very long time. I love me some Timmy (he plays so damn hard), but Wells just looks so much more instinctive.

What do you guys think? I'm a believer in Beanie, and as happy as I was that Leinart "fell" to #10, I was blown away by the fact that Beanie "fell" to #31. I think we're gonna get a real solid player out of Wells. Heck.... he might just shred up the Colts on Sunday night!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what he means by lower body build? With McFadden it means his legs are too skinny, not sure what it means with Beanie.

I like Brandt I think he's very good at what he does, but I think Wells has shown some flashes of brilliance and he's certainly not the first rookie RB to have some fumble issues early in his career and lots of them get over it. Peterson still fumbles too much but he's just so good the Vikings have learned to live with the fumbles.

I think Beanie is for real if he can stay healthy and hang onto the ball.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JTS: Alex, I'd like to take "Relevant Football Opinions" for $800.

Alex: And the Jeopardy answer is: 1988

JTS: (DING!) What was the most recent year that Gil Brandt had an opinion that actually mattered?

Alex: That's right, please make another selection!

JTS

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wells only flaw is one that can be corrected. Other than that, he has impressed me. I'm waiting for a home run from him soon and believe me it will happen

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JTS: Alex, I'd like to take "Relevant Football Opinions" for $800.

Alex: And the Jeopardy answer is: 1988

JTS: (DING!) What was the most recent year that Gil Brandt had an opinion that actually mattered?

Alex: That's right, please make another selection!

JTS

:biglaugh:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard