ARZCardinals Mock Draft (First 18 picks)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He weighs 263 at 21/22 years of age. He isn't 25. He will be at 275 within 3 seasons just to hold up to the pounding of the NFL.

Oohhh... Someone didn't do their homework. Here, I'll start for you:

Mario Williams at the 2006 Combine: 295 lbs

Mario Williams in 2010 for the Houston Texans: 295

I'll let you click around the two sites and lead yourself out of the thicket of misinformation you've built for yourself. Oh... One more, just for fun:

Jared Allen 2004 Combine: 265 lbs.

Jared Allen 2010 for the Minnesota Vikings: 270 lbs.

It's not like this information is hard to find and check. Actually, learning things is kind of interesting.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oohhh... Someone didn't do their homework. Here, I'll start for you:

Mario Williams at the 2006 Combine: 295 lbs

Mario Williams in 2010 for the Houston Texans: 295

I'll let you click around the two sites and lead yourself out of the thicket of misinformation you've built for yourself. Oh... One more, just for fun:

Jared Allen 2004 Combine: 265 lbs.

Jared Allen 2010 for the Minnesota Vikings: 270 lbs.

It's not like this information is hard to find and check. Actually, learning things is kind of interesting.

Hey look Mom, I can do it too...

Clay Matthews 2009 Combine: 240 lbs.

Clay Matthews 2010 for the Green Bay Packers: 255 lbs.

yawn...

I will concede on one point, and that is that weight gain by young players in the NFL is not a given. You are correct in that statement. Here is why I stated that I thought that Aldon Smith would gain weight: (from NFL.com)

Strengths
Smith has outstanding height and length to go along with good speed. Very smooth athlete for his size. Can get to the passer with a variety of moves, impressive agility, and fast hands. Can be disruptive against the run when he gets into the backfield. Has the range to make plays on the backside.

Weaknesses
Needs to add some bulk but has the frame to do so. Really needs to watch his pad level. Must improve his ability to anchor at the point of attack. Does not possesses elite initial burst for an edge player. Would like to see more sustained effort in run pursuit.

However, yes you are correct in the fact that a player will not automatically gain weight just by going from college to the pros. Because you are right in this regard, please apply your logic to the "Patrick Peterson will out grow CB crowd."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hey look Mom, I can do it too...

Clay Matthews 2009 Combine: 240 lbs.

Clay Matthews 2010 for the Green Bay Packers: 255 lbs.

yawn...

I will concede on one point, and that is that weight gain by young players in the NFL is not a given. You are correct in that statement. Here is why I stated that I thought that Aldon Smith would gain weight: (from NFL.com)

Strengths
Smith has outstanding height and length to go along with good speed. Very smooth athlete for his size. Can get to the passer with a variety of moves, impressive agility, and fast hands. Can be disruptive against the run when he gets into the backfield. Has the range to make plays on the backside.

Weaknesses
Needs to add some bulk but has the frame to do so. Really needs to watch his pad level. Must improve his ability to anchor at the point of attack. Does not possesses elite initial burst for an edge player. Would like to see more sustained effort in run pursuit.

However, yes you are correct in the fact that a player will not automatically gain weight just by going from college to the pros. Because you are right in this regard, please apply your logic to the "Patrick Peterson will out grow CB crowd."

So a guy who was probably a PEDs user gained a ton of weight when he was likely asked to by his team? :shocked:

I'm not saying that players can gain weight when they're asked to. Both Calais Campbell and Lyle Sendlein have been able to. But to treat it as a given doesn't make sense. I don't think that Aldon Smith is an OLB in the NFL, and if he's going to be a 4-3 DE he'll likely have to gain some weight. But I don't think it's the fait accompli that you're making it out to be. If that were the case, I'd be more bullish about Daryl Washington or Von Miller being able to gain weight, and I don't think either will.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't see where you get that Smith is better equipped to make the transition to OLB from that article.

Its at the bottom of the page.

Almost sure things

Dontay Moch of Nevada and Chris Carter of Fresno State run so well and are athletic enough that they should be able to make the transition pretty easily. With his hustle and ability to make plays all over the field, Sam Acho’s best chance of success might in at OLB in a 3-4. Despite a pedestrian workout, Arizona’s Ricky Elmore appears to have the movement skills to drop and cover on a limited basis.

Would need some work

We know Aldon Smith can rush the passer, but can he drop and cover?
Missouri’s Aldon Smith is a name you hear a lot associated with 3-4 teams, but Smith might take some time to adjust. Scouts consider him a little stiff, and probably best suited to play with his hand down, but he’s athletic enough to make some people envision Willie McGinest. Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue sure looked like he could drop in drills at the combine, but not all scouts are sold on his ability to play linebacker. As one front office man said, “We’re have a debate about it.” Kerrigan probably would not fit every 3-4 team – he would have to go to one that lets him rush most of the time. Scouts are also divided on if Arizona’s Brooks Reed has the athleticism to cover. Pittsburgh’s Jabaal Sheard is probably instinctive enough for a position switch, but he may struggle when he tries to turn and run with a fast tight end. Cliff Matthews of South Carolina might have to lose a few pounds to improve his flexibility and quickness.

Probably would struggle
Given his size and movement skills, North Carolina’s Robert Quinn definitely is more suited to be a defensive end. He will have enough of a transition to play the same position he played before taking a year off. A transition to a new position might be too much for him. Scouts have doubts about Georgia’s Justin Houston being able to do anything other than rush the passer every down. His instincts and hustle would not serve him well as a linebacker. Cameron Jordan of Cal might not have the feet to make the move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard