"Arizona" Sports Radio.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry National shows for the most part suck. When I listen to sports talk Radio it's to hear some information on local teams. The Arizona teams rarely are even discussed on national shows.

P.S. Bob Kemp sucks. I am sorry, he likes the sound of his own voice and says things to rile up callers. He doesn't even come off as having convictions for half the crap that comes out of his mouth. My favorite is when a caller is calling him out on his B.S. or throws facts in his face......Kemp does what he always does and hangs up on the guy or cuts him off. He is a tool.

honestly kemp sounds bored and like he doesnt care. I still listen if its one because he talks local sports but his personality over the air is pretty bland.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I beg to differ. Actually Doug doesn't bother me. Kemp bothers me, Gambo can be obnoxious (although very entertaining). However, Wolf I think might be the worst radio guy pound for pound.

love wolf IN GAME.

Cant stand him elsewhere.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MJ on 910 is good, but I HATE this new tool they have in Jody. He goes off on these tangents for ten minutes about never having eaten Peanut Butter and Jelly (or whatever happens to be the convo that day) and MJ and Bauer get sucked right in. That show has totally devolved sinced Bickley left. It's like MJ and Bauer don't have strong enough personalities to rein that moron Jody in.

MJ needs a solid partner who can set the topic and keep it going. Vince was able to do that as was Bickley for the most part. Bickley's problem would be there were major football games and he wants to talk tennis or golf. CANNOT stand Bauer. He seems like the nerdy kid who tries to act cool and hang with the jocks. He is just juvenile and annoying. Jody is really, really amateurish and lame.

The rest of the talk scene in Phoenix is pretty pathetic. Burns, Gambo, Doug and Wolf are hacks and I can't stand listening to them at all. Burns, Gambo and Doug all think they are quite clever and funny and Wolf is just on another planet and is like listening to a poor man's Jesse "The Body" Ventura's old WWF schtick.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Bob is the kind of guy you either hate or love. I am of the latter. I like his atte til. To AZ sports. I also like the fact he does not take crap from the dumb callers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly avoid sports talk radio in Arizona because most seem like they are all commercials on the time. IMO, it seems like many broadcasters talk to hear themselves talk. However, I'm sure there are exceptions, especially when top local sports stories erupt or special interviews. Otherwise I leave them alone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob is the kind of guy you either hate or love. I am of the latter. I like his atte til. To AZ sports. I also like the fact he does not take crap from the dumb callers.

Not taking crap and being a coward when you are being called out or can't dispute a valid take is another.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is not one local sports talk personality that drives me more nuts than Doug. I think he absolutely sucks in every possible way. He is rank amateur quality, comes across as a juvenile and is beyond irritating. He may be a decent guy, but he is brutal on the radio. The Doug & Wolf show desperately needs to be re-purposed. Their schtick is so old and so annoying...
Second on this list is Burns. The gap between him and Doug is very tiny. They are truly two of the worst sports radio talk personalities I have ever heard. And Wolf and Gambo are merely slightly better...
It's hard for me to say this, but Bickley is probably the best of a very sad bunch, with MJ right behind followed by Vince.

+1000!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Not taking crap and being a coward when you are being called out or can't dispute a valid take is another.

I side with him most of the time, just my opinion. He knows AZ sports better than the others.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Love me some Burns & Gambo cause they're not the ridiculous homers Doug & Wolfe are. I think some listeners get sensitive over certain things but it's just radio. They talk plenty of local sports too, frankly I'd like to hear more of what happens outside of PHX teams.

For interviews I suggest B&G cause they're not insufferable suck ups.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pathetic Here it seems like 24/7 365 Redskins.

You should be in my neck of the woods. We have 3 sports talk radio stations: 94FM WIP, 97.5FM The Fanatic, and 97.3 ESPN Radio which airs some local sports talk. All 3 it's all Eagles all the time. No BS all 3 stations combined when it comes to local sports is around 75%-80% Eagles. Doesn't matter when. In the middle of June, it's Eagles talk. Super Bowl Sunday, Eagles talk. It's amazingly lame. When I lived in Tucson, I can't remember the station, I listened to national sports talk radio who had on people like Jim Rome and The Fabulous Sports Babe(who was excellent I might add) not to mention that the Tucson Citizen considered the Cowboys as Tucson's team which was odd because they declared that right in the middle of the Cards' 1998 playoff run so yeah, AZ doesn't do that great a job at promoting it's teams.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's honestly not their fault. It's all the transplants they dont care about the local teams and apparently, that's the vast majority of their listeners because that's who they cater to. That demographic.

I have actually, for real, I have heard people call into KTAR in the midst of Suns or Cards or Dbacks talk to COMPLAIN that they are talking about the local teams too much. They take the call on the air and apologize to the caller and start talking about the Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers instead. I've heard that happen many, many times on KTAR alone. They suck.

And 82 you couldn't be more right about Doug Franz. He's horrible. I hear people complain about Wolf all the time, and he is annoying too, but Doug Franz is the worst radio personality in the valley, bar none. Not even close.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
One other thing that really sucks about these guys and their shows is that they completely eliminated listener "call in" opportunities. It's as if they know they suck and they know there are fans whom are more informed and they don't want to be called out and made to look like the fools they are... Pathetic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You should be in my neck of the woods. We have 3 sports talk radio stations: 94FM WIP, 97.5FM The Fanatic, and 97.3 ESPN Radio which airs some local sports talk. All 3 it's all Eagles all the time. No BS all 3 stations combined when it comes to local sports is around 75%-80% Eagles. Doesn't matter when. In the middle of June, it's Eagles talk. Super Bowl Sunday, Eagles talk. It's amazingly lame. When I lived in Tucson, I can't remember the station, I listened to national sports talk radio who had on people like Jim Rome and The Fabulous Sports Babe(who was excellent I might add) not to mention that the Tucson Citizen considered the Cowboys as Tucson's team which was odd because they declared that right in the middle of the Cards' 1998 playoff run so yeah, AZ doesn't do that great a job at promoting it's teams.

97.3 ESPN Radio

Ugh. The worst