"Arizona" Sports Radio.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Really, that is all you guys have.

The AZ sports shows are OK, but on a Monday to listen to a show, specifically, Burns and Gambo, and for the 1 1/2 for the show to not talk about a single Arizona team is a little ridiculous.

Its Monday, with so many Arizona teams that played, how in the heck can you set up your show that way.

1. Auburn vs. Alabama
2. USC coach change
3. Slobbing Nick Foles' knob

Why not just replay Colin Cowerd all day, and fire the local guys ?

There was the beginning of the show.....oh, sorry, they did mention the Cardinals when Gambo the Giants fan, told our coach to shut up.

Really? I mean really ? That is an epic fail for that station.

You guys deserve better than that. No wonder Arizona has such a hard time getting fans to local teams, the have NO HELP in drumming up interest.

Swimming up river with floating feces, to bowling balls strapped to your waist and cannon fire all around. That is what it must feel like to get a sports team going in Arizona.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well what do you expect from a town that has or had a radio station that broadcasts Nebraska Cornhusker football games? 1060 KDUS. A school that is over 1300 miles away from Phoenix.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That is all that needs to be said.

I avoid 620 in the afternoon. After 2 it is 910 or nothing.

Tragically Bickley's is the best show that station has.

Thanks.

I will check out 910.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Love MJ's podcasts {and tweets}. If I lived in the valley that would be my drive time choice.

He has Kent Somers on Mondays, Mike Sando, Ross Tucker and occasionally B.A. or Steve Keim or Cardinal players.

MJ all the way. ;)

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I agree with the op. I listen to Burns/Gambo on my drive home, because they are far more interesting than anything I've got locally but I'm tuning in to 620 specifically for AZ sports.

I do like Doug & Wolf in the morning. They strike me as an AZ local, low-budget version of Mike & Mike (ha, like Wallace and Ladmo were for me as a kid back in the 70's). Unfortunately, I only get to hear them during daylight savings (Nov-Mar) as they they don't come on until after I arrive at work (east coast) for most of the year. But at least most of their show is dedicated to AZ sports.

I'm not familiar with 910. I'll give them a shot tonight. Thanks for the referral.

Go Cards!!!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I like the Sports Zone with Bob Kemp 10-1 1060 KDUS

Agreed. Bob talks Arizona sports far more than any other broadcast.

MJ on 910 is good, but I HATE this new tool they have in Jody. He goes off on these tangents for ten minutes about never having eaten Peanut Butter and Jelly (or whatever happens to be the convo that day) and MJ and Bauer get sucked right in. That show has totally devolved sinced Bickley left. It's like MJ and Bauer don't have strong enough personalities to rein that moron Jody in.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MJ on 910 is good, but I HATE this new tool they have in Jody. He goes off on these tangents for ten minutes about never having eaten Peanut Butter and Jelly (or whatever happens to be the convo that day) and MJ and Bauer get sucked right in. That show has totally devolved sinced Bickley left. It's like MJ and Bauer don't have strong enough personalities to rein that moron Jody in.

I have noticed that he trys to take the spotlight on the show as well

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

No argument there. Bickley can be annoying at times, but Jody takes it to a new level.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True, but sometimes it is hilarious.

You have to remember he is from what amounts to a Third World country... :D

chickenhead

Reaction score
I don't have anything against the tri-state (I lived in NY for 12 years),but it just seems like there's this assumption at work about the Phoenix audience wanting/needing an east coast-style sports radio tone. I think a lot of it actually has to do with WFAN being the genesis of 24h sports radio, with nearby ESPN replicating it, and this mindset about this being the tone of the format has spread. (Also, I'm sure a lot of producers and personalities replicate it in the hopes of moving "up" the ladder to markets back east).

Phoenix is kind of in a weird position: not big enough to have a singular identity like NY, LA, Chicago, but too big to be ultra local the way that smaller cities' media can be.

Edit: I should qualify, though, that I'm talking about talk format and call-in shows. I think the Diamondbacks radio coverage is great, and who's going to argue against Al McCoy?

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything against the tri-state (I lived in NY for 12 years),but it just seems like there's this assumption at work about the Phoenix audience wanting/needing an east coast-style sports radio tone. I think a lot of it actually has to do with WFAN being the genesis of 24h sports radio, with nearby ESPN replicating it, and this mindset about this being the tone of the format has spread. (Also, I'm sure a lot of producers and personalities replicate it in the hopes of moving "up" the ladder to markets back east).

Phoenix is kind of in a weird position: not big enough to have a singular identity like NY, LA, Chicago, but too big to be ultra local the way that smaller cities' media can be.

Edit: I should qualify, though, that I'm talking about talk format and call-in shows. I think the Diamondbacks radio coverage is great, and who's going to argue against Al McCoy?

yeah our game coverage for football, baseball and basketball is fantastic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry National shows for the most part suck. When I listen to sports talk Radio it's to hear some information on local teams. The Arizona teams rarely are even discussed on national shows.

P.S. Bob Kemp sucks. I am sorry, he likes the sound of his own voice and says things to rile up callers. He doesn't even come off as having convictions for half the crap that comes out of his mouth. My favorite is when a caller is calling him out on his B.S. or throws facts in his face......Kemp does what he always does and hangs up on the guy or cuts him off. He is a tool.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I agree with the op. I listen to Burns/Gambo on my drive home, because they are far more interesting than anything I've got locally but I'm tuning in to 620 specifically for AZ sports.

I do like Doug & Wolf in the morning. They strike me as an AZ local, low-budget version of Mike & Mike (ha, like Wallace and Ladmo were for me as a kid back in the 70's). Unfortunately, I only get to hear them during daylight savings (Nov-Mar) as they they don't come on until after I arrive at work (east coast) for most of the year. But at least most of their show is dedicated to AZ sports.

I'm not familiar with 910. I'll give them a shot tonight. Thanks for the referral.

Go Cards!!!

There is not one local sports talk personality that drives me more nuts than Doug. I think he absolutely sucks in every possible way. He is rank amateur quality, comes across as a juvenile and is beyond irritating. He may be a decent guy, but he is brutal on the radio. The Doug & Wolf show desperately needs to be re-purposed. Their schtick is so old and so annoying...
Second on this list is Burns. The gap between him and Doug is very tiny. They are truly two of the worst sports radio talk personalities I have ever heard. And Wolf and Gambo are merely slightly better...
It's hard for me to say this, but Bickley is probably the best of a very sad bunch, with MJ right behind followed by Vince.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not one local sports talk personality that drives me more nuts than Doug. I think he absolutely sucks in every possible way. He is rank amateur quality, comes across as a juvenile and is beyond irritating. He may be a decent guy, but he is brutal on the radio. The Doug & Wolf show desperately needs to be re-purposed. Their schtick is so old and so annoying...
Second on this list is Burns. The gap between him and Doug is very tiny. They are truly two of the worst sports radio talk personalities I have ever heard. And Wolf and Gambo are merely slightly better...
It's hard for me to say this, but Bickley is probably the best of a very sad bunch, with MJ right behind followed by Vince.

Oh I beg to differ. Actually Doug doesn't bother me. Kemp bothers me, Gambo can be obnoxious (although very entertaining). However, Wolf I think might be the worst radio guy pound for pound.