Arizona lands the #1 JUCO player (Holmes - all posts merged)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Good call! :thumbup:
:thewave:

HOLMES IS A CAT!!

By Chris Bonney
Football Editor
Date: Dec 15, 2005

In two years under head coach Mike Stoops the Arizona Football program has made big gains on the field so far. Offensively and defensively the coaching staff has laid the foundation for the future of Arizona Football. The foundations for successful programs are built on the road and on the recruiting trail. So far Mike Stoops and his staff have recruited at a level never before seen by Wildcat fans. In just the span of two days the announcements of two 5-Star commitments have been made public.

Just moments ago Scottsdale Community College 5-Star defensive end Louis Holmes announced that he will sign with the University of Arizona. Holmes chose the Cats over USC, LSU, Florida, Florida State and Oklahoma among others. Holmes was kind enough to give CatTracks.net a full interview where he spoke candidly about his commitment.

“I committed to Mike Stoops when I was still down there on my official,” Holmes told CatTracks Wednesday night. “Coach Stoops was really happy and he was real excited. I only committed to him because I wanted everyone else to find out at my press conference tomorrow. We started talking about the future of Arizona Football and where I fit in and everything. I am a Wildcat.”

Holmes said that it came as a tough choice and was ultimately between Arizona and USC for his services. Actually up until his official visit to the U of A he was seriously considering committing to the Trojans.

“Until like last Wednesday or Thursday I was really thinking a lot about it,” he said candidly. “Coach Carroll was here last Monday and it was a great visit and I was going to go to USC for an unofficial and if I went I probably would have committed then. But I decided to set the official with U of A and the rest is history really. It all just started coming down last Thursday and I just felt that U of A was the best place for me all of a sudden.”

The reasoning behind the official visit for Holmes was to get a different feel for Tucson.

“I have been down there so many times but it is always unofficial visits to see friends and stuff,” Holmes said. “I wanted to go on the official so I could just get a different feel and maybe see some things that I hadn’t before. I knew before I went down that I was pretty sure I wanted to go to U of A but the visit just made it complete.”

Louis went on to say that his visit could not have gone any better. He was able to see some things that he hadn’t before and he was able to just get to know the coaches more than he had before.

“The people down there have always been great,” he said. “I have always gotten along with the coaches and stuff but on the official I was able to talk more to them and spend more good time with them and I just developed that great comfort level with them and the school.”

Holmes added that the overall comfort level with Arizona was a big factor in his decision to be a Wildcat among other things.

“Being here in Arizona for two years and going down there I just had a much better comfort level,” he admitted. “I liked all of the coaches that recruited me and everything but I know that the U of A coaches care about their players. They all do and they show it and you can tell that it isn’t fake.”

The big defensive end was being recruited by Arizona Linebackers coach Tim Kish, who recruits the Phoenix area for the Wildcats. Holmes says that he and Kish have a good relationship and that Kish is a solid recruiter.

“Coach Kish is a relentless recruiter man,” he said with a laugh. “He can really sell the program. He never talks bad about other schools or anything he just sells you on his school and he sold me on Arizona. He is a great recruiter and a good coach. He cares about his guys.”

Holmes joins Gabe Long as the two 5-Star commitments for Arizona to date. They are arguably the biggest recruits in the history of Arizona Football and Holmes is looking forward to playing with Long.

“Man, it’s gonna be reckless,” he said about the future of the Arizona defensive line. “Playing with Gabe is going to be great. I played with some good tackles here but Gabe is another level man. Gabe and I have the chance to spend two years together helping bring back the tradition of Arizona defense. We get to play for two years together and get better together.”

Ultimately it came down to comfort level for Holmes, like he said, but there was one other thing that Holmes just could not pass up.

“Man playing for Mike Stoops is gonna be great,” he said. “He is building something down there and I want to be a part of it. I am just a big piece to a much bigger puzzle and we are gonna get it done in Tucson. I am excited to be a Wildcat.”

Holmes is the second 5-Star prospect to commit to the Cats this week and the 5th overall to give his verbal commitment in the same span.

Cat Tracks will have full video of Holmes’ press conference later today as well as a one on one video interview with the man himself.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Good call! :thumbup:

Your post is the first i have heard so im guessing its bad news.....

bummer...

Still a 3 win team going toe to toe with three time CHAMPION says something....

hopefully a good year next year will get us over the edge.....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Your post is the first i have heard so im guessing its bad news.....

bummer...

Still a 3 win team going toe to toe with three time CHAMPION says something....

hopefully a good year next year will get us over the edge.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

YOu were being sarcastic!!!!!!!! YEAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Alright Cats fans.....knock one back for this victory....THIS IS HUGE:beer:

:hijack: BEARDOWN ARIZONA

Last edited:

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
What a waste...just another future wildcat lost in the gutter of the pac-10. The decision seems simple to me, contend for national titles every year OR contend for 8th place in the Pac-10 every year...must be a reason why he didnt qualify at Ohio State out of highschool.

Reaction score
Keep fooling yourself, BAS. Soon, the truth will become evident to even the most myopic and ignorant devil fans.

The wheels are in motion in Tucson, and the resurrection of Desert Swarm has begun.

Look out, Pac-10.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
What a waste...just another future wildcat lost in the gutter of the pac-10. The decision seems simple to me, contend for national titles every year OR contend for 8th place in the Pac-10 every year...must be a reason why he didnt qualify at Ohio State out of highschool.
:biglaugh:

You must be registered for see images

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Telamonian Aias said:
Keep fooling yourself, BAS. Soon, the truth will become evident to even the most myopic and ignorant devil fans.

The wheels are in motion in Tucson, and the resurrection of Desert Swarm has begun.

Look out, Pac-10.

The funny part about this quote is that ASU beat ua 7-6 the year the "Desert Swarm" was around...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Renz said:

HOLMES IS A CAT!!

By Chris Bonney
Football Editor
Date: Dec 15, 2005

In two years under head coach Mike Stoops the Arizona Football program has made big gains on the field so far. Offensively and defensively the coaching staff has laid the foundation for the future of Arizona Football. The foundations for successful programs are built on the road and on the recruiting trail. So far Mike Stoops and his staff have recruited at a level never before seen by Wildcat fans. In just the span of two days the announcements of two 5-Star commitments have been made public.

Just moments ago Scottsdale Community College 5-Star defensive end Louis Holmes announced that he will sign with the University of Arizona. Holmes chose the Cats over USC, LSU, Florida, Florida State and Oklahoma among others. Holmes was kind enough to give CatTracks.net a full interview where he spoke candidly about his commitment.

“I committed to Mike Stoops when I was still down there on my official,” Holmes told CatTracks Wednesday night. “Coach Stoops was really happy and he was real excited. I only committed to him because I wanted everyone else to find out at my press conference tomorrow. We started talking about the future of Arizona Football and where I fit in and everything. I am a Wildcat.”

Holmes said that it came as a tough choice and was ultimately between Arizona and USC for his services. Actually up until his official visit to the U of A he was seriously considering committing to the Trojans.

“Until like last Wednesday or Thursday I was really thinking a lot about it,” he said candidly. “Coach Carroll was here last Monday and it was a great visit and I was going to go to USC for an unofficial and if I went I probably would have committed then. But I decided to set the official with U of A and the rest is history really. It all just started coming down last Thursday and I just felt that U of A was the best place for me all of a sudden.”

The reasoning behind the official visit for Holmes was to get a different feel for Tucson.

“I have been down there so many times but it is always unofficial visits to see friends and stuff,” Holmes said. “I wanted to go on the official so I could just get a different feel and maybe see some things that I hadn’t before. I knew before I went down that I was pretty sure I wanted to go to U of A but the visit just made it complete.”

Louis went on to say that his visit could not have gone any better. He was able to see some things that he hadn’t before and he was able to just get to know the coaches more than he had before.

“The people down there have always been great,” he said. “I have always gotten along with the coaches and stuff but on the official I was able to talk more to them and spend more good time with them and I just developed that great comfort level with them and the school.”

Holmes added that the overall comfort level with Arizona was a big factor in his decision to be a Wildcat among other things.

“Being here in Arizona for two years and going down there I just had a much better comfort level,” he admitted. “I liked all of the coaches that recruited me and everything but I know that the U of A coaches care about their players. They all do and they show it and you can tell that it isn’t fake.”

The big defensive end was being recruited by Arizona Linebackers coach Tim Kish, who recruits the Phoenix area for the Wildcats. Holmes says that he and Kish have a good relationship and that Kish is a solid recruiter.

“Coach Kish is a relentless recruiter man,” he said with a laugh. “He can really sell the program. He never talks bad about other schools or anything he just sells you on his school and he sold me on Arizona. He is a great recruiter and a good coach. He cares about his guys.”

Holmes joins Gabe Long as the two 5-Star commitments for Arizona to date. They are arguably the biggest recruits in the history of Arizona Football and Holmes is looking forward to playing with Long.

“Man, it’s gonna be reckless,” he said about the future of the Arizona defensive line. “Playing with Gabe is going to be great. I played with some good tackles here but Gabe is another level man. Gabe and I have the chance to spend two years together helping bring back the tradition of Arizona defense. We get to play for two years together and get better together.”

Ultimately it came down to comfort level for Holmes, like he said, but there was one other thing that Holmes just could not pass up.

“Man playing for Mike Stoops is gonna be great,” he said. “He is building something down there and I want to be a part of it. I am just a big piece to a much bigger puzzle and we are gonna get it done in Tucson. I am excited to be a Wildcat.”

Holmes is the second 5-Star prospect to commit to the Cats this week and the 5th overall to give his verbal commitment in the same span.

Cat Tracks will have full video of Holmes’ press conference later today as well as a one on one video interview with the man himself.

What Bonney doesn't tell you is that Holmes didn't qualify at usc, so he had to settle for the cats...what Bonney also doesn't tell you is that Holmes needs to turn things around in the classroom before he can qualify at ua...But hey, what would some person in Ohio know about Arizona prospects that he's never seen in person? I don't even know why the scout network even allows Bonney to evaluate Az prospects...

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
What Bonney doesn't tell you is that Holmes didn't qualify at usc, so he had to settle for the cats...what Bonney also doesn't tell you is that Holmes needs to turn things around in the classroom before he can qualify at ua...But hey, what would some person in Ohio know about Arizona prospects that he's never seen in person?
Did you get this scoop from the same "insiders" that told you Holmes would never go to Arizona?

Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
What Bonney doesn't tell you is that Holmes didn't qualify at usc, so he had to settle for the cats...what Bonney also doesn't tell you is that Holmes needs to turn things around in the classroom before he can qualify at ua...But hey, what would some person in Ohio know about Arizona prospects that he's never seen in person? I don't even know why the scout network even allows Bonney to evaluate Az prospects...

First, you're thinking of Gabe Long. Holmes has a 3.7 GPA.

Second, you're wrong anyway.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
My bad.
Yes I was thinking of Long.

I do stand by my comments of Bonney though...

Last edited:

peterman

Veteran
Reaction score
i'm real excited about what mike stoops is doing with this program and im real excited. I've been a uofa fan for a long to time and i haven't been this excited about uofa football stoops is the man!!!!!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
U missed it....we already hijacked the "Koetter gets extension" thread with the news...

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
UofA friend sent this to me this morning...

As many as 40 colleges offered scholarships, and Holmes said he was fielding "about 50 calls a day" on his cell phone from eager coaches. ASU, however, was not on the radar. "They waited too late," Holmes said of the UA's rival down the street from SCC. "If things would have been different, I probably would have been a Sun Devil."

:thud:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
UofA friend sent this to me this morning...

As many as 40 colleges offered scholarships, and Holmes said he was fielding "about 50 calls a day" on his cell phone from eager coaches. ASU, however, was not on the radar. "They waited too late," Holmes said of the UA's rival down the street from SCC. "If things would have been different, I probably would have been a Sun Devil."

:thud:

:thumbup:

Theres the common sense i was looking for....now go talk to your boy DevilprideBAS....

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Cats Land Another 4-Star Stud

By Chris Bonney
Football Editor
Date: Dec 16, 2005

When you’re hot you’re hot and Mike Stoops and the Arizona coaching staff is simply sizzling. After the huge news today of the commitment of 5-Star defensive end Louis Holmes it didn’t look like it could get any better. But then 4-Star tight end/defensive end A.J. Simmons decided to make Tucson his new home.

Bishop O’Dowd tight end/defensive end A.J. Simmons committed to Arizona tonight during an in-home visit with his lead recruiter, Arizona linebackers coach Tim Kish.

“I committed to coach Kish tonight when he was here,” said the 4-Star standout. “As soon as I said it coach Kish got all excited, it was great. Man, he was so excited he was like a 6 year old at Disneyland for the first time. It was great. Coach (Josh) Heupel and Coach (Mike) Stoops were both really excited too. It was a great time and I am a Wildcat.”

Simmons visited Tucson for the Cats game against the Oregon Ducks. It is the Ducks who Arizona ultimately beat out for Simmons. The Ducks may have won the game, but the Cats won Simmons.

“My visit was awesome,” Simmons said. “I feel really good about the coaching staff and I got to know them all when I was down there. I hung out with all of the players and they are all good guys and it was just great. The city of Tucson and the school are just great places to be.”

A.J. is projected by the Arizona coaches as a tight end and that is exactly where he wants to play in college. Simmons is also very confident that he can come in and play right away.

“I know they have a couple of good guys down there at tight end,” he said. “I think I can beat them out though. I want to play right away and I have the confidence and I know that I can beat them out. They are good football players and I am looking forward to the challenge.”

Arizona linebackers coach Tim Kish was Simmons’ lead recruiter and according to A.J. the two get along as well as two people can.

“He has been a good friend to me,” Simmons said. “We have developed a real good friendship and I know that he cares about me both as a person and as a football player. Coach Kish is an unbelievable person and I just really like him. He is always so pumped up and excited and he is a great guy to be around.”

Simmons was quick to say nice things about his other final school, the Oregon Ducks.

“Coach Bellotti and the Oregon program is great,” he said. “Oregon is a great program and I have a lot of respect for them but I am a Wildcat and Arizona is the place for me.”

Coach Josh Heupel will be coaching Simmons while he is in Tucson and A.J. had nothing but good things to say about his future position coach as well.

“Coach Hype man, he is just cool,” Simmons said. “He always has jokes and is a real fun guy to be around. He is always making you laugh and everything but he is very professional and he works hard and is a good coach too.”

When asked if he was a solid commitment to Arizona Simmons quickly responded with, “Oh heck yeah, I am a Wildcat. There is no way I am going anywhere else. We are going to do great things down there and I can’t wait to be a part of the program and of the Wildcat family. I am a Wildcat, period.”

Simmons is now the Cats’ 18th verbal commitment for the 2006 recruiting class. He is the second tight end as he joins Apache Junction, Arizona standout Cody Anderson.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
:thumbup:

Theres the common sense i was looking for....now go talk to your boy DevilprideBAS....

The only thing missing is the common sense from Kotter. He gets a new extension and then the top JUCO player in the nation pretty much says Kotter didn't do his job.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
The only thing missing is the common sense from Kotter. He gets a new extension and then the top JUCO player in the nation pretty much says Kotter didn't do his job.

Actually, we have a 4* defensive end in Caldwell, we have a 4* transfer DE from Florida in Morant, and we have another 4* transfer from BYU at DE...Not to mention that Dexter redshirting this year, and that the top recruit in Az is a kid named Williams, who has committed to ASU(another 4*), etc, etc,...DO you maybe think that the kid wanted to come to ASU, but we didn't offer because we didn't have room for him? How many stud defensive ends can you have on one team???
Good luck to ua with their jc kids, I'd rather have kids that could qualify at a D1 program out of high school...

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Not a 4 or 5 star recruit, but he provides quality depth and could develop into a very good Div. 1 player. Another good capture by Stoops and Co.

UA lands seventh commitment in one week

Ryan Stevens
GOAZCATS.com Staff Writer

The hits just keep on coming as Arizona received its 19th verbal commitment tonight and seventh in the last week. California defensive end Deandre Reed committed tonight during an in home visit with offensive coordinator Mike Canales. Reed is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound defensive end with the body type to add weight fast. He is a great pickup who has seen his ranking rise over the last season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stoops is kicking butt. Last year's recruiting class was ranked in the top-20 and this class right now is ranked 12th. :thumbup:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Actually, we have a 4* defensive end in Caldwell, we have a 4* transfer DE from Florida in Morant, and we have another 4* transfer from BYU at DE...Not to mention that Dexter redshirting this year, and that the top recruit in Az is a kid named Williams, who has committed to ASU(another 4*), etc, etc,...DO you maybe think that the kid wanted to come to ASU, but we didn't offer because we didn't have room for him? How many stud defensive ends can you have on one team???
Good luck to ua with their jc kids, I'd rather have kids that could qualify at a D1 program out of high school...

And your forgetting to mention that Loren Howar a COLLEGE ALL-AMERICAN is transferring to ASU....