Arizona lands the #1 JUCO player (Holmes - all posts merged)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
I certainly don't care, but you're the one who keeps bringing up your "potential" player's ratings, so I thought I should throw some facts act you...

you are beyond the comprehension of reason and logic (as well as facts for that matter....)

i will refrain from even reading your posts or taking them seriously being that you seem to be bias at a level previously reserved for employees of the university or mothers of the football players. I urge other UA posters to disregard you as well....

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
I'm not saying he isn't any good, I'm just saying he is rated on potential, and not what he did in the WSFL...He didn't show it on the field, and I'd rather have a player like Nance who is the Texas big school player of the year as a 2 star running back, then some kid that couldn't qualify at SC out of high school and couldn't even make first team in his JC division...Once again, just facts.

"Few could block Holmes, based on his 192 tackles, 40 tackles for losses and 16 sacks during his two-year career at Scottsdale. "

That is the second time I've posted his stats, but you still say he did show it on the field. Get real.

Also as I said earlier he made 1st team all region, All-American, and the top player in the nation by 3 different scouting websites. So ill trust more in that then him being voted 2nd team WSFL.

One last comment, Bonney DOES NOT rank players for Scout.com. I don't know where you keep getting this information, but you are way off.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
UA Recruiting: Arizona may lack a spot for Tatum
Transfer from Texas would prefer to join his brother in Tucson.
ANTHONY GIMINO
Tucson Citizen

Defensive back Bobby Tatum announced his transfer from Texas last week, with his first option being to go to Arizona to join his brother, Brandon.

But Tatum said yesterday he is unlikely to be a Wildcat.

"That was my plan, but it doesn't look like they will have a spot for me in January," said Tatum, a former four-star recruit who was a sophomore with the Longhorns.

"I'm not waiting. I have a lot of other offers from other schools. I don't want to sit around at home."

It's not that Arizona doesn't want him, but the Wildcats are running into a numbers problem, with 19 commitments and several top-level recruits still undecided.

Tatum said UA coach Mike Stoops told him he might not know if a scholarship is available until letter-of-intent signing day on Feb. 1, but Tatum wants to be enrolled somewhere in the spring.

Transfers and junior college players can sign tomorrow.

Bobby Tatum is still holding out hope.

"If Arizona offers before I go anywhere else, then that is what I would do,'' he said. "If they offer me, there's a 100 percent chance I'll go there.''

Tatum, a backup who played in nine games this season, made four tackles and broke up one pass. Brandon Tatum, a backup safety, played for UA this season as a true freshman, mostly on special teams. The Tatums are from Fort Worth, Texas.

Elsewhere, running back Derke Robinson, who has committed to the Wildcats, helped Hebron High of Lewisville, Texas, win the Class 4A Division II state title Saturday.

Robinson rushed for 107 yards on 22 carries and caught six passes for 76 yards as Hebron won 28-0 over Corpus Christi Calallen. The Hawks finished the season 16-0.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
"Few could block Holmes, based on his 192 tackles, 40 tackles for losses and 16 sacks during his two-year career at Scottsdale. "

That is the second time I've posted his stats, but you still say he did show it on the field. Get real.

Also as I said earlier he made 1st team all region, All-American, and the top player in the nation by 3 different scouting websites. So ill trust more in that then him being voted 2nd team WSFL.

One last comment, Bonney DOES NOT rank players for Scout.com. I don't know where you keep getting this information, but you are way off.

This is starting to get old...Bonney has a HUGE influence on scout ratings, and you know it(and yes, bonney lives in ohio, and doesn't see az kids firsthand).

Once again this is starting to get old too, Holmes is a fine player and I'm not dissing him...All I'm saying is that the powers that be, who watch the wsfl, consider him at the VERY best, 3rd best at his postion...

I'm just stating facts! I don't mean to hurt any of your feelings, just as I wasn't trying to hurt them when I told you that Rattay, Jenkins, Smith, Kovalcheck, etc, weren't any good...But don't let the facts get in your way.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Furthermore...

Some more FACTS for you...

Louis Holmes star ratings:

Out of H.S. 2003:
Scout - 2 stars
Rivals - 2 stars

Out of Prep School 2004:
Scout - 1 star
Rivals - not rated

Facts are great huh?

But what do I know I about facts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:

Out of H.S. 2003:
Scout - 2 stars
Rivals - 2 stars

Out of Prep School 2004:
Scout - 1 star
Rivals - not rated

Facts are great huh?

Are you arguing with yourself?

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Arizona beating out big-timers for recruits
JOHN MOREDICH
Tucson Citizen
December 23, 2005

The University of Arizona's football team has not backed away from anybody in terms of recruiting.

That may start paying dividends on game days with the signing of three prominent junior college players.

The Wildcats have recorded victories over USC, LSU, Oregon and Texas, among others, in recent weeks on the recruiting trail.

Despite a 6-16 record over the past two seasons, the Wildcats pulled off two key wins over two-time defending champ USC to sign defensive end Louis Holmes and defensive tackle Gabe Long.

Arizona also recorded a victory with the signing of first-team Grid-Wire All-American James Tretheway.

"Getting guys like this shows how strong we have developed the program and how far the maturity level of the program has come to attract the quality of players like that and to beat some of the competition that we have," Arizona coach Mike Stoops said yesterday.

Arizona has 16 other known commitments who can sign on Feb. 1, including Nate Ness, another JC Grid-Wire first-team All-American, from El Camino (Calif.) College.

The Wildcats pulled off a recruiting bonanza by signing Holmes, the national recruiting services' top junior college player.

Holmes, from Scottsdale Community College, is arguably the most sought-after player Arizona has ever signed.

"Some people are saying that he is afraid of competition. That is not the case. He wants to take us to the next level," Stoops said. "He is a big-time player. He is a dynamic player who will bring some excitement and some stability along our D-line, but so will Long. This enters us in another phase for our program."

Long, from Fullerton, Calif., was rated the top defensive tackle after the 2004 season by College Football News. He will help provide needed bulk along the defensive front.

Stoops has made it no secret the Wildcats need more physical presence at the line of scrimmage. But he may not be talking so much about that after receiving letters of intent from players slated to enroll in January and take part in spring practice.

"In order to win consistently at this level, you have to control the line of scrimmage and have a physical presence about you. That is something we have worked on improving," Stoops said. "We needed guys like this to put more pressure and speed on the field for us. We have struggled in that area."

Arizona was exploited defensively at times in 2005, especially against the run, allowing 184 yards per game. That was mostly because of the lack of containment in the trenches.

Holmes brings a huge presence with not only his 6-foot-5, 280-pound frame but also with his aggressive play.

"He is so unique. To have that size, strength and speed is not typical for your average player," Stoops said. "He is so explosive. There is so much he can do. It is crazy. As a staff, we are really excited about working with him and seeing what he can do for us on the field."

Holmes ended his two-year JC career with 192 tackles, 40 tackles for loss and 16 sacks.

Long sat out this season after committing to USC a year ago, then not meeting the Trojans' academic requirements.

The 6-4, 280-pound tackle had 13 sacks as a freshman and eight sacks after his first five games of the 2004 season.

"(Long) is physical, and his strength is impressive," Stoops said. "He has kept himself in good shape. We don't think there will be any problem with him being out for a year after (going) through spring ball and our offseason conditioning program."

The addition of Tretheway along the offensive line can only help, as well.

The 6-6, 305-pound lineman from San Mateo (Calif.) JC can play either guard or tackle.

"Tretheway really gives us some options along the offensive line," Stoops said. "He is a very intelligent player who has a long body and gives us great options."

Options along both front lines have not been a luxury for the Wildcats until now.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/sports/..._fb_recruiting

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:

Out of H.S. 2003:
Scout - 2 stars
Rivals - 2 stars

Out of Prep School 2004:
Scout - 1 star
Rivals - not rated

Facts are great huh?

Fact: Louis Holmes was offered a scholarship by Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, USC, Florida, and Tennessee. But I guess these scouting services and the brilliant minds over in Tempe know more about football than the Bob Stoops and Bobby Bowdens of the world.

It's pretty foolish to downgrade the ability of a kid you've never seen play when those who have seen him play seem to think he has the chance to be a pretty good player. Keep reaching though. And since rankings are so useless, can you please refrain from using them to prop up ASU players.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
All this chatter about how big of a recruit he is, blah blah blah, is pointless right now. Lets see if he produces on the field, JUCO ball is one thing, D-1 football is another. The only way to solve this debate is to wait til next season starts, until then he and every recruit in the nation is unproven.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
All this chatter about how big of a recruit he is, blah blah blah, is pointless right now. Lets see if he produces on the field, JUCO ball is one thing, D-1 football is another. The only way to solve this debate is to wait til next season starts, until then he and every recruit in the nation is unproven.

:D

Will one of u devil fans just sack up and say it was an impressive signing?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
This is starting to get old...Bonney has a HUGE influence on scout ratings, and you know it(and yes, bonney lives in ohio, and doesn't see az kids firsthand).

Once again this is starting to get old too, Holmes is a fine player and I'm not dissing him...All I'm saying is that the powers that be, who watch the wsfl, consider him at the VERY best, 3rd best at his postion...

http://recruiting.scout.com/3/bios.html

I dont see Bonney's name as being one of the recruiting experts and I seriously doubt he has that much of a influence on west coast recruiting while living in Ohio.

I understand what you are saying. If the "powers that be" rate him the 3rd best DT in his conference, why did he make 1st team in his division, over the same guys that are better then him. Why did those players not make 1st team all-american over him?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
http://recruiting.scout.com/3/bios.html

I dont see Bonney's name as being one of the recruiting experts and I seriously doubt he has that much of a influence on west coast recruiting while living in Ohio.

I understand what you are saying. If the "powers that be" rate him the 3rd best DT in his conference, why did he make 1st team in his division, over the same guys that are better then him. Why did those players not make 1st team all-american over him?

Just a guess, but the coaches vote for all-conference rankings, while they don't vote for many of the other awards...:rolleyes:

So, basically people like Bonney ignore what the coaches think...But hey, I'm sure Bonney is smarter than the coaches...

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pete Carroll of USC wanted Holmes very bad. He was calling him before his press conference, trying to change his mind. Sounds to me he is a player.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
So, basically people like Bonney ignore what the coaches think...But hey, I'm sure Bonney is smarter than the coaches...
You mean the coaches from USC, Florida, Tennessee, Florida St. and LSU that recruited Holmes? Those coaches?

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Turrell Turner goes public

By Brad Allis/Chris Bonney
Jan 5, 2006

The Cats have done quite well offensively with the letter “T”. Willie Tuitama and Mike Thomas formed a formidable duo, while Travis Bell was a nice late season find. The Cats added a verbal commitment from Terrell Reece in December and now another “T” has made his verbal commitment public. Terrell Turner committed to the Wildcats back in December and is now just making his decision known.

The December 9th weekend was a huge one for Wildcat recruiting. Following that weekend seven players made public commitments to Mike Stoops and the staff. Now that number can be boosted to eight as Turner has finally decided to make his pledge known.

“I committed to Mike Stoops in his office before I left (Tucson),” Turner said. “During the meeting he asked if I felt comfortable and he asked if I was going to be back and I said ‘yeah, I’ll be back this summer.’ That is kind of how I committed to him.”

Turner did not want his commitment to become public until after the holiday so that he could avoid a deluge of phone calls from the media. Now that the quiet period for coaches is over, Turner wants the world to know he’s a Wildcat.

Turner originally gave his visit a ‘10’, liking everything from the coaches to the women. Although he had a laundry list of things he really liked in Tucson, one aspect of the program really stood out.

“The strength and conditioning coach is what did it for me,” Turner said. “Everything else was great but watching him and listening to him, he individualizes the workout for each position.”

Turner feels that the weight room is a key to seeing the field early on. The 6-1, 180-pound receiver from Lakeview Centennial High School in Garland, TX believes that adding more muscle to his frame will really benefit him and his chances to contribute from day one.

“If I come in and hit the weights and books, I think I can see the field in my freshman year,” Turner explained.

His lead recruiter was Mark Stoops and the two formed a sort of bond.

“Me and Coach Mark get along really well,” he said. “That dude is something else man, I really like him a lot. I get along great with Coach Mike Stoops too. I met with him and it went really good. He told me that I would be a big part of the program and I think I can come in and help a lot from the start.”

Needless to say, the Wildcats’ defensive coordinator was thrilled at the pledge.

“Man, coach Mark was bouncing around and giddy,” Turner said chuckling.

Turner wants to major in computer science and minor in entrepreneurship and should get a jump start on his studies when he arrives in Tucson over the summer to take some summer courses and immerse himself in the weight program and system.

Turner had offers from a number of schools, but liked the promise of the future for the Wildcat program.

“Watch out the Cats are going to be prowling man,” Turner said.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Mark is going to make a fine coach one day, hopefully he stays at Arizona if Mike leaves.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
Mark is going to make a fine coach one day, hopefully he stays at Arizona if Mike leaves.

???

I just don't understand the reasoning?

An assistant coach on a team that has won 6 games (4 against D1 opponents) over 2 years is destined to be a good head coach? Assistant coach? Jr high coach? Pop Warner coach?

I like to sip the kool aid also, but jeez...And where is Mike going? Has he proven to the Pac 10 that he knows defense? I thought he was going to show the Pac10 what Defense was all about? Is he overmatched on the sidelines? Does he want to go back to the big XII, where only one or two teams actually have capable offenses?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Renz said:
You mean the coaches from USC, Florida, Tennessee, Florida St. and LSU that recruited Holmes? Those coaches?

No I meant the coaches that actually coached and schemed against him in JC, I didn't think that was soo hard to understand...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Pete Carroll of USC wanted Holmes very bad. He was calling him before his press conference, trying to change his mind. Sounds to me he is a player.

Really, were you standing next to your boy while he got those phone calls?

Or by "before his press conference" you mean 1 month before his press conference?

Once again, nobody says Holmes isn't good...No need to defend the kid, he is good.

Although the JC coaches don't think he's even 1 of the top 2 at his position in his conference...But, maybe that's why they're JC coaches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Wildcats hope for few more big fish

By Charles Durrenberger
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.06.2006

Arizona has recruited to fill a handful of needs — with less than four weeks remaining before national signing day — with hopes of reeling in a few more big fish.

The good news could resume today for a program ranked anywhere from 10th to 14th nationally by recruiting analysts.

After the end of a holiday dead period — when contact with prospects is prohibited — the Wildcats could snare a pair of California standouts during the annual U.S. Army All-American Game in San Antonio on Saturday (Channel 4, 11 a.m.). The game features 78 of the nation's top prospects in an East vs. West matchup.

Devin Ross of Rancho Cucamonga, rated as the No. 2 cornerback in the country, is expected to choose between Arizona and Oregon.

Derrick Hill of Oakland is regarded as the No. 1 defensive tackle in the state. His choices are down to USC, Cal and Arizona.

Another All-American game participant, defensive tackle Joseph Faifili of Kahuku, Hawaii, is expected to name his school from a list that includes the UA, BYU, Oregon State and Utah.

In other news, five-star running back C.J. Gable has reaffirmed he will visit Tucson later this month. Gable, a 5-foot-11-inch, 180-pound back from Sylmar, Calif., has said he will pick USC or Cal. He is making the trip on Jan. 20 out of respect for coach Mike Stoops, and to make sure he is not overlooking the Cats.

"Mike has continued to go after the very best recruits," said UA recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz, who cannot comment about specific prospects because of NCAA rules. "That's the formula they followed at Oklahoma, and that's what this staff is doing here."

Arizona has 19 known commitments, and is expected to add a full allotment of 25 players on Feb. 1, the first day recruits can sign national letters of intent.

Thirteen recruits are on the offensive side of the ball, and four are junior college players.

The three midyear transfers are being looked to for immediate help.
Defensive end Louis Holmes (Scottsdale Community College) is rated as the top junior college prospect nationally, with defensive tackle Gabe Long (Fullerton College) right behind. And James Tretheway (College of San Mateo) should be in the mix on the offensive line.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/110192

If the Cats land Ross and OL Jovon Hayes I will be stoked!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I like Ross. Everything I have read on his is great! I am crossing my fingers that he signs with us!!

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I like Ross. Everything I have read on his is great! I am crossing my fingers that he signs with us!!

The Army game is over and I didn't see where Ross committed to. Anyone else pick up on it?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
He elected not to commit today, which means he is waiting for USC, who is hot on his trail, to offer him a scholarship. It's not looking too good for arizona anymore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson