Arizona lands the #1 JUCO player (Holmes - all posts merged)

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Hmm...

Do these kids really want to go to ua (or any college), and can they qualify?

It's kinda sad that they need a Dean's signature just to enroll...can you really start a class 8 weeks late???
I know I couldn't do that at a University...

That's Sad!!!

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/112212

Last edited:

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
Very intereseting. Long has not even started the application process. It will be interesting to see what happens. Go Devils.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
Just a heads up about in-state recruiting. Rivals.com has listed its postseason Arizona Top15 and ASU has commitments from 6 of the top 15 including #1 and #2, while UofA only has 3 commitments. I think its safe to say that Koetter has one the in-state battle this year.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
Just a heads up about in-state recruiting. Rivals.com has listed its postseason Arizona Top15 and ASU has commitments from 6 of the top 15 including #1 and #2, while UofA only has 3 commitments. I think its safe to say that Koetter has one the in-state battle this year.

They're still losing in the over-all to Arizona....hopefully the in-state's what matter much this next season

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU can have all the Arizona kids they want. High school football in Arizona is not even close to the level it is in Texas and the Cats have five of the top 100 players in Texas coming next year. The pipeline from Texas is alive and well for the Cats.

I'll take Texas and California players over Arizona kids any day.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1375&Year=2006

Last edited:

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
I was just posting in response to the remarks made last year about Koetter's in-state recruting and how Stoops has him beat. The sad part is that all those texas and cali boys you have result in back to back 3-8 seasons.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
I was just posting in response to the remarks made last year about Koetter's in-state recruting and how Stoops has him beat. The sad part is that all those texas and cali boys you have result in back to back 3-8 seasons.
Yep, since it was Stoops' recruits that got us there. He really blew by bringing in useless players like Mike Bell and Dick Kovalchek. Oh wait, the nucleus of the last two teams were Mackovic's players. If we're still going 3-8 with the guys our current staff has brought in Stoops will be looking for a job. I wonder how much success ASU's next basketball coach is going to have with Chad Goldstein, Serge Angounou, Antwi Atuahene, Bruno Claudino, and Bryson Kruger logging major minutes?

Last edited:

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Do these kids really want to go to ua (or any college), and can they qualify?

It's kinda sad that they need a Dean's signature just to enroll...can you really start a class 8 weeks late???
I know I couldn't do that at a University...

That's Sad!!!

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/112212

Of course they want to go the UofA. They wouldn't have chose them if they didn't. The school is protecting themselves and the student by waiting for their grades to post and for the transcripts to arrive. You can't just take the student's word on anything anymore. This is what they SHOULD have done last year with that WR who signed with them but is now not allowed to play for any PAC10 school because one of his grades were garbage. The article says that any student can enroll 8 weeks late with a deans signature. I don't think it has anything to do with being able to qualify or not. It's all technicalities... Don't get too excited, they'll still be Cats!

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:

Uh, yeah... That's cause not all of them have played due to redshirting and being freshmen. Some of Stoops recruits are barely going into their Junior year. Don't forget that Stoops was, and is, still working with some of Mack's kids. Let Stoops put four years into the program and your 3-8 remarks will be irrelevant.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
ASU can have all the Arizona kids they want. High school football in Arizona is not even close to the level it is in Texas and the Cats have five of the top 100 players in Texas coming next year. The pipeline from Texas is alive and well for the Cats.

I'll take Texas and California players over Arizona kids any day.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1375&Year=2006

Am I wrong, or isn't that exactly what Armani said?

Yet, you all complain that the cupheard(sp?) was bare, when stoops took over...Hmm, still haven't figured out the errors in your past coache's ways?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
BTW, ASU has the STATE offensive player of the year and his best Olineman comitted to ASU, but why would you want a bunch of winners coming to Tucson? I'm sure the rankings show that the big school state champ kids aren't as good as the players they beat...

Keep that pipline open...W's and L's don't really matter during football season, do they?

Did I mention those kids are from Texas?

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Am I wrong, or isn't that exactly what Armani said?

Yet, you all complain that the cupheard(sp?) was bare, when stoops took over...Hmm, still haven't figured out the errors in your past coache's ways?

Oh, the cupboard wasn't bare... It was just full of crap. The players Mack brought in, or at least most of them, had no business being on a D1 football team. Yes, there were plenty of errors in our coach's ways... That's why he was canned. Everyone knows damn well that Mack set the UofA program YEARS...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Fair enough, I was just pointing out the errors in zona90's thinking, that you should ignore your backyard when recruiting...

IMO, you cherry pick from other states, while building quality depth from your own backyard...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its very important to recruit in state, in all sports. Obviously Arizona isn't too the point that Texas, Florida and California are. And Arizona never will be, because it will never be as populous as those states. However, I do think its likely that ASU could become a mid major type of state for recruiting. The more the valley (and the southwest at large) continue their population boom, more quality HS players will be here.

If Koetter (or any coach) establishes pipelines w/ local dominant HS's now, it obviously pays immense dividends in the future.

I also think Koetter is doing a good job creating pipelines in California and Texas. In Texas its Trinity, where D.Nance is from, as well as one of their O-lineman who is also coming to ASU.

In California, he is making some nice connections w/ the JC, College of the Canyons, landing S Troy Nolan, CB Justin Tyron, and P Jonathan Johnson (what an unfortunate name).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Its very important to recruit in state, in all sports. Obviously Arizona isn't too the point that Texas, Florida and California are. And Arizona never will be, because it will never be as populous as those states. However, I do think its likely that ASU could become a mid major type of state for recruiting. The more the valley (and the southwest at large) continue their population boom, more quality HS players will be here.
I also think the status of ASU and Arizona's football programs (and arguably the Cardinals) could very well play into the quality of talent that will become available. Some states with comparable populations as Arizona such as Alabama and Louisiana produce much better players than we do in this state because football is huge there stemming from the success of LSU, Auburn, and Bama. If the Territorial Cup was actually a big deal and was an annual sold-out, important game instead of determining who goes to the Aloha Bowl or the Insight Bowl then football would become huge statewide and draw in transplanted Arizonans with no allegiance to UA or ASU which would lead to more money for both programs. More kids would end up playing football instead of skateboarding or video games which would then translate to better local recruits for both schools. This same scenario could apply in basketball as well.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
BTW, ASU has the STATE offensive player of the year and his best Olineman comitted to ASU, but why would you want a bunch of winners coming to Tucson? I'm sure the rankings show that the big school state champ kids aren't as good as the players they beat...

Keep that pipline open...W's and L's don't really matter during football season, do they?

Did I mention those kids are from Texas?

Just wanted to give you a heads up... You tend to question when some of the UofA recruits try to better their SAT scores. A lot of bashing comes out of your mouth... Well, apparently the top Arizona high school player who is committing to ASU, Mr. Jermaine Williams, can't even pass it the first time. So far he's 0-2.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0201hsfoot0201.html

Now, I hope the kid makes it just for the sake of him getting a shot at a college degree. But I'd be careful what you say when one of your own top recruits can barely spell his name.

Go Cats!

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Yes, I was well aware of JW's situation a LONG time ago, which is why I wasn't pumping up his signing...

Was I??? You make it sound like I was???

I don't promote nonqualifiers on my favorite college team, but for some reason nonqualifiers on ua's team are all hyped big time...

Either way, I don't know why you pasted that post of mine...I was referring to 2 all 1st team Texas players...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Top JC recruit reaffirms pledge
By Charles Durrenberger
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 02.10.2006

Arizona's No. 1 junior college recruit from the class of 2006 says he is sticking with the Wildcats, despite not enrolling at midterm.

Louis Holmes, a defensive end from Scottsdale Community College, is taking six hours at Pima Community College to satisfy graduation requirements.

"It's my fourth junior college semester," Holmes said Thursday. "I am on track. If I had enrolled at midterm, it would have been nothing more than a bonus."

Holmes is under the care of a personal trainer, but he is not allowed to work out with the Wildcats because of NCAA recruiting rules.

He was ranked by Scout.com recruiting service as the nation's top-ranked junior college prospect.

Holmes signed with the UA in December, but that letter of intent is invalid because he did not enroll in January.

"I'm a Wildcat," Holmes said. "I'll be here for training camp. It's all good. I'm busy working out and going to school.

"I want all the Wildcat fans to relax, and to know that I will be in an Arizona uniform. No worries."

The other UA recruit in Holmes' position, Gabe Long, could not be reached.
Long, a defensive tackle, is working on his graduation from Fullerton (Calif.) College. Like Holmes, he signed with the UA in December.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/115272

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Renz said:
Top JC recruit reaffirms pledge
By Charles Durrenberger
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 02.10.2006

Louis Holmes, a defensive end from Scottsdale Community College, is taking six hours at Pima Community College to satisfy graduation requirements.

"It's my fourth junior college semester," Holmes said Thursday. "I am on track. If I had enrolled at midterm, it would have been nothing more than a bonus."
http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/115272

Didn't he also spend 2 YEARS in prep school, after he got out of high school?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that 4 years of school after high school graduation, just to be allowed to enroll in a university?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Renz said:
Prep school is high school.

So he went to high school for 6 years? and then went to jc for 2 years? Shouldn't he be graduating from college instead of still trying to get into college?

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
So he went to high school for 6 years? and then went to jc for 2 years? Shouldn't he be graduating from college instead of still trying to get into college?

Please give us a link or some sort of information on this, because you only quoted him saying that he went to JC for 4 semesters (2 years). It is hard to help you out when we do not know where you get your info.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Please give us a link or some sort of information on this, because you only quoted him saying that he went to JC for 4 semesters (2 years). It is hard to help you out when we do not know where you get your info.

I don't need any help...Why do you need a link? Simply look at his age...I guess ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
I don't need any help...Why do you need a link? Simply look at his age...I guess ignorance is bliss.

So you will not produce any evidence to back up your bold claims? You should really touch up on your rhetoric.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson