Arizona lands the #1 JUCO player (Holmes - all posts merged)

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Good luck to UA with their jc kids, I'd rather have kids that could qualify at a D1 program out of high school...
JUCO reliance rooted in prep recruiting failings
Chris Karpman
ASUDevils.com Publisher

In the last recruiting cycle the Sun Devils signed seven defensive recruits enrolled in various junior colleges and it seems very likely they'll elect to ink another big crop of JUCO prospects on this side of the ball in the upcoming signing class. The primary reason for this, we believe, is a necessary byproduct of the program's recent recruiting failings at the high school level.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Actually, we have a 4* defensive end in Caldwell, we have a 4* transfer DE from Florida in Morant, and we have another 4* transfer from BYU at DE...Not to mention that Dexter redshirting this year, and that the top recruit in Az is a kid named Williams, who has committed to ASU(another 4*), etc, etc,...DO you maybe think that the kid wanted to come to ASU, but we didn't offer because we didn't have room for him? How many stud defensive ends can you have on one team???
Good luck to ua with their jc kids, I'd rather have kids that could qualify at a D1 program out of high school...

No, Kotter tried to get Holmes to come to ASU, but he was way behind. So you are telling me that you had too many transfer DE's to offer Holmes, when Pete Carroll was still calling Holmes for hours even after he told Pete he was going to UA. USC is loaded and they wouldn't give up on this guy.

Grades and not getting playing time are two different things. Howard is gonna be good for you guys, but don't say Holmes wasn't good enough to extend another offer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
No, Kotter tried to get Holmes to come to ASU, but he was way behind. So you are telling me that you had too many transfer DE's to offer Holmes, when Pete Carroll was still calling Holmes for hours even after he told Pete he was going to UA. USC is loaded and they wouldn't give up on this guy.

Grades and not getting playing time are two different things. Howard is gonna be good for you guys, but don't say Holmes wasn't good enough to extend another offer.

I agree. It reminds me of ASU's recruitment of Bobby Wade, or lack there of. I talked to Cozzeto, who was on ASU's offensive staff at the time, and he told me that ASU didn't go hard at Wade because Wade insisted that any school that gave him a scholarship, had to give Andrae Thurman a scholarship as well (I knew Wade personally; we both went to DV).

This situation won't hurt as bad in the short run since ASU has quite a few good players on the dline here and coming, but it will hurt in the future.

Well ASU didn't want Thurman, so they didn't give Wade an offer. Wade, like Holmes, was a guy that you went after hardcore. Giving a scholarship to Thurman shouldn't have stopped ASU, but it did. To make the situation worse, Thurman was actually a pretty decent player. ASU could've used Wade AND Thurman...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
So we ended up with Shaun Macdonald the year that we passed on Wade(correct me if I'm wrong)...Now Shaun is the #3 receiver for the Rams, while Wade just got cut by the Bears.

Who was "rated" higher?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
So we ended up with Shaun Macdonald the year that we passed on Wade(correct me if I'm wrong)...Now Shaun is the #3 receiver for the Rams, while Wade just got cut by the Bears.

Who was "rated" higher?

I'm not sure. But Wade was a heck of a player at U of A, and a trio of McDonald, Wade, and Thurman would've been one of the best in the country.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
The only thing missing is the common sense from Kotter. He gets a new extension and then the top JUCO player in the nation pretty much says Kotter didn't do his job.

So he's the top juco player in the nation, but he was only named as a 2nd team WSFL?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
So according to the WSFL, there were at least 2 better players at his postion in junior college in the immediate area surrounding Az?...Wow, ASU certainly missed on that guy :thud:

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
So according to the WSFL, there were at least 2 better players at his postion in junior college in the immediate area surrounding Az?...Wow, ASU certainly missed on that guy :thud:
Yeah, USC, Ohio State, Florida, LSU etc. wanted to sign Holmes because he is the third-rated JUCO DE in Phoenix. You are really reaching now.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
UA is also a front runner to get Texas soph. DB Bobby Tatum, the brother of UA freshman DB Brandon Tatum, who is transferring next year. :thumbup:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Few could block Holmes, based on his 192 tackles, 40 tackles for losses and 16 sacks during his two-year career at Scottsdale.

Comon guys, if there are 2 better DE's in Scottsdale or even the entire nation let me know. Don't try and spin this, because you are making yourselves look foolish.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
Comon guys, if there are 2 better DE's in Scottsdale or even the entire nation let me know. Don't try and spin this, because you are making yourselves look foolish.

No spin just facts...He was 2nd team wsfl, how is that spin???
You are the only one looking foolish.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
But if Bonney gives the kid 5 stars, then he must be right :shrug:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Question?

Since when is the immediate surrounding area of Az smaller than the immediate surrounding area of Phx???

Amm i speeking a forin languag?

The WSFL doesn't stand for the Western Suburb of Fenix League...

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Since when is the immediate surrounding area of Az smaller than the immediate surrounding area of Phx???

Amm i speeking a forin languag?

The WSFL doesn't stand for the Western Suburb of Fenix League...
I can't tell. You sure seem to be writing in a foreign language.

You're trying to tell us that the best team in the nation, USC, wanted Holmes, but he really isn't any good? Seriously?

You are really making a fool of yourself now.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
UA recruiters' recipe for success
By Charles Durrenberger
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 12.19.2005

By drawing seven commitments in a week, including two big-time defensive linemen, Arizona's recruiting class has everyone asking the same question:

How are the Wildcats doing it?

The UA now has 19 nonbinding verbal pledges with a little more than five weeks remaining until national signing day on Feb. 1.

Its current class is ranked 11th nationally by Scout.com and 24th by Rivals100.com (not updated yet), a pair of recruiting services.

Arizona's recipe has been equal parts:

● Strategy in identifying the best players early.
● Dogged determination in not taking "no" for an answer.
● Selling the program, the city and the university.
● Getting kids on campus during the season to meet the players and take in the game-day atmosphere.

"Our whole coaching staff is aggressive in recruiting," UA recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz said. "They don't negative recruit. They sell the university, the city and the program, and kids respond to that."

The No. 1 junior-college player, Scottsdale Community College defensive end Louis Holmes, is aboard. His friend, Fullerton (Calif.) College defensive tackle Gabe Long has also said he will sign on Wednesday — the first day that mid-year transfers can sign.

Both received five out of five stars in the ranking systems set up by Scout.com and Rivals100.com. The seven players who committed to Arizona in the past seven days average 3.9 (out of five) stars.

"The current guys they are getting feel good about the direction of the program," said Allen Wallace, SuperPrep publisher and Scout.com national editor. Coach Mike Stoops has redirected the Cats' efforts to lure the very best prospects from primarily California, Texas and Arizona.

The UA has commitments from Arizona's No. 2 (running back Brooks Reed from Sabino), No. 4 (fullback Glyndon Bolasky from Sabino) and No. 6 (tight end Cody Anderson from Apache Junction) prospects.

"More and more kids are making their decisions earlier and earlier, so it's important to get them on your campus during the season so they take in the whole game day atmosphere," Berezowitz added. "Our fans and student section created a pretty awesome atmosphere."

A number of recruits have commented on how impressed they were with UA's strength staff of Corey Edmond and Mark Hill, and their track record of developing players. Recruits' eyes widen when they realize pros like Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris and Mark Clayton train here in the off-season.

"Mike Stoops has a reputation of being a very aggressive-minded coach," said Wallace, a longtime West Coast analyst. "He is willing to do whatever it takes — put in as much time as it takes — to get the very best talent to fit his program."

Hiring top-shelf recruiters – who well work together – has also left no stone unturned in pitching the merits of the program and university.

Assistant coach Tim Kish has snared Holmes, highly-regarded wide receiver DeLaShaun Dean, four-star tight end A.J. Simmons, "Our staff really works well together and 'team recruit' to where a player gets to know his position coach," Berezowitz said.

Without a doubt, the biggest fish for Kish was Holmes.

The 6-foot-6-inch, 270-pounder has been clocked at 4.49 in the 40-yard dash. SCC defensive coordinator Doug Madoski said Holmes brings a passion for the game.

"With Louis on the field, you know that every play could be the big play that turns the game for you," Madoski explained. "When he decides he's going to hit you, he hits you."

Holmes, from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., originally signed with Ohio State but did not qualify academically. He carried 17 semester hours last summer and 18 hours this fall, enabling him to graduate and transfer to Arizona at mid-term.

Arizona offensive coordinator Mike Canales has also been busy on the recruiting trail.

Two-star defensive end D'Aundre Reed committed to Canales on a home-visit late Friday.

The 6-foot-4-inch, 215-pounder also played tight end at Rancho Verde High School in Moreno Valley, Calif. — the hometown of UA star safety Darrell Brooks.

D'Aundre Reed de-committed from Colorado after coach Gary Barnett stepped down last week. He also visited Fresno State.

"I think Arizona is an up-and-coming program," D'Aundre Reed said. "I also wanted to stay in the Pac-10."

Canales also got pledges from top-10 quarterback Tyler Lyon, and Brooks Reed and Bolasky.

Stoops' first full year of recruiting resulted in a 2005 signing class that featured 12 four-star prospects, including quarterback Willie Tuitama, and JC safety Michael Johnson — impact players this past season.

"This is an important class for us," Berezowitz added. "We want to package this talent with the talent from last year to form our core for the future.

Tatum joins brother

Safety Bobby Tatum intends to transfer from Texas to Arizona to join his brother, Wildcat defensive back Brandon Tatum.

The 6-foot, 200-pound Tatum, a sophomore, is required to sit out one year, and will have two years' eligibility remaining. He posted 10 tackles in 17 career games at UT, and also returned a blocked punt for a touchdown last year.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
This is getting out of hand. You are trying to tell us that because he was 2nd team in his conference he isnt any good. The guy is a JUCO All-American and the #1 JUCO player in the nation. Bonney doesn't rank the players, Scout.com does, so I dunno where you got that idea.

Ill take Scout.com, Rivals.com, and ESPN.com's facts over yours. They all have him the top JUCO player in the nation and rated 5* DE.

Keep trying to put the 2nd team conference = no good spin on it, because you are the only one believing it. ASU didn't land him, so god knows he must not be any good. Kotter screwed up his recruitment or else you guys owuld be talking about Louis Holmes and possibly Gabe Long too.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Holmes was also named to the All-NJCAA Region 1 team, along with 2 of the 4 guys who are better then Holmes, according to you.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Friday, December 16, 2005

Trojans spend three hours trying to lock up Holmes
ANTHONY GIMINO
Tucson Citizen

SCOTTSDALE - Louis Holmes was 45 minutes late for his news conference yesterday, in part because USC football coach Pete Carroll wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I had to cut my phone off because he wouldn't stop calling" Holmes said.

By the time he had dodged the last-second pleas and made it back to Scottsdale Community College, Holmes had out-run the Tigers, stiff-armed the Trojans and given Arizona its most significant recruit since . . . since . . . ever?

"I'm one who looks at things differently," said Holmes, a defensive end who is widely considered the nation's top junior college prospect. "I wanted to go somewhere that would best suit me, rather than where everyone else thought I should be."

Carroll thought Holmes should be in USC cardinal and gold, singing "Fight On" and starting on the Trojans' defensive line, which will have a vacancy at defensive end next season.

The Trojans - winners of two consecutive national titles, three of the past four Heisman trophies and 34 games in a row - thought so much of Holmes that Carroll, offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin spent three hours with Holmes last week.

They met in Scottsdale coach Ken Giovando's cramped office, amid the books, tapes and boxes, the all-mighty Trojans intent on leaving with a commitment.

"It wasn't like they came in here and were like, "Hi, hi, adiós," said Giovando, adding that he has never seen recruiters stay for as long as three hours in his 40-year coaching career. "They weren't going anywhere.

"From the stuff I heard, they need him. They made that very clear. The defensive line coach had his laptop out, showing plays and pointing out where Louis would be. They made a joke that if he didn't show up, they were going to cancel their schedule. You know, ha ha ha."

But seriously, folks . . .

Isn't a scholarship from golden boy Carroll an offer you can't refuse?

"It wasn't too hard because (UA coach Mike Stoops) is a good coach," Holmes said. "He knows defense and is known for coaching some good defensive players, too. He has won championships. He is as good a coach as Pete Carroll."

But look at it this way: USC has won the same number of games this season (12) as UA has in the past four.

Yet the Wildcats, whose record indicates that maybe they should be competing with New Mexico, San Diego State and Washington State on the recruiting trail, are living somewhere in the neighborhood of the penthouse.

"We're not afraid to battle USC head to head," said Arizona recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz. "We're not afraid to battle Texas head to head."

Carroll battled to the end (although the official end is technically Wednesday, when Holmes can sign as a midyear transfer), calling Holmes repeated times yesterday, and getting on a three-way hookup with Franklin.

It has to take a pretty strong person to say no to that kind of USC pressure.

"Yeah, it does because they're winning and competing for national championships every year," Holmes said.

"Most of the top players want to go somewhere where it is already set. I want to set my own mark, be a part of something special.

"That could be the reason UA hasn't been successful lately. Maybe some top recruits don't want to step up to take the challenge."

Maybe it just takes one guy to get the ball rolling.

"Exactly," Holmes said.

Without Holmes' commitment, which had been made privately days earlier, the Wildcats probably don't get five-star junior college player Gabe Long, a defensive tackle who stated he wanted to play alongside Holmes. Long was a onetime USC commit who was sidetracked to junior college.

This recruiting high life has UA fans giddy . . . and USC backers a bit puzzled.

The Trojans' message boards were buzzing yesterday, with plenty of mocking of Holmes' decision:

"I look forward to seeing Holmes and Long on their backsides next year."

"We didn't need him anyway and I didn't want him. We can do a lot better."

Well, Carroll did want him. Badly. Which makes this recruiting win so special for an up-and-coming program such as Arizona.

"Coach Carroll did a great job recruiting him," Giovando said. "He was talking about how USC was bigger than ever, even bigger than when O.J. was there."

All that was just talk to Holmes, who spent some time chatting with Stoops' former players, including Oklahoma All-American defensive tackle Tommie Harris.

One bit of advice Holmes picked up: "It's not about what school I go to, it's what I do at the school," he said.

To USC's dismay, that school is UA...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
:( Are you guys reading between the line's on my posts??? Because I'm not trying to hide any true facts!!!! Your boy is at best the 3rd best payer at his position in the WSFL...I don't vote on this! Koetter doesn't vote on this! Stoops doesn't vote on this...But yes Bonney has a HUGE say in the Az ratings, as he's in charge of those ratings...Open your eyes kids...Bonney is a huge ua fan, yet lives in Ohio, and furthermore, rates the west coast kids without seeing them in person...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
:( Are you guys reading between the line's on my posts??? Because I'm not trying to hide any true facts!!!! Your boy is at best the 3rd best payer at his position in the WSFL...I don't vote on this! Koetter doesn't vote on this! Stoops doesn't vote on this...But yes Bonney has a HUGE say in the Az ratings, as he's in charge of those ratings...Open your eyes kids...Bonney is a huge ua fan, yet lives in Ohio, and furthermore, rates the west coast kids without seeing them in person...
Holmes was rated as a 5 star recruit before he ever signed with UA.

I have no idea who votes for all-conference in the WSFL and I'm guessing you don't either. Maybe it is a popularity contest. Maybe the coaches and media all vote for their own/local players. Who cares?

I know all the schools that recruited Holmes like USC, Florida, Florida St., Tennessee, LSU and Ohio St. have seen him play. Those schools haven't been successful by recruiting players who can't perform at the highest collegiate level.

Anyway, I can see this is going nowhere, so keep on believing Holmes is no good if you must. You'll be seeing plenty of him and Gabe Long in opposing backfields next season. :D

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I'm not saying he isn't any good, I'm just saying he is rated on potential, and not what he did in the WSFL...He didn't show it on the field, and I'd rather have a player like Nance who is the Texas big school player of the year as a 2 star running back, then some kid that couldn't qualify at SC out of high school and couldn't even make first team in his JC division...Once again, just facts.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Renz said:
Holmes was rated as a 5 star recruit before he ever signed with UA.

I have no idea who votes for all-conference in the WSFL and I'm guessing you don't either. Maybe it is a popularity contest. Maybe the coaches and media all vote for their own/local players. Who cares?. :D

I certainly don't care, but you're the one who keeps bringing up your "potential" player's ratings, so I thought I should throw some facts act you...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard