Arizona Diamondbacks @ SF Giants Aug 27 - Aug 29, 2018

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes it is that simple. When did you have a microphone stuck in your face and then have thousands of people question your comments the next day? We are in first place! Enjoy the ride!
You're talking about his public relations. I'm talking about that and his managing.

He is getting paid for both and he is coming up short on both. There is no guarantee that a Major League manager will excel when he reaches that level.

Regarding 1st place, we're in a weak Division. I'm looking ahead to our hopefully peaking for the post-season.

Shut out again today through the first 8.5 innings. I look to our manager and coaching staff to find a solution. Do you deny that to a fan? Why?

As 82CardsGrad pointed out we are now at (updated) 28 consecutive innings without scoring a run. It's time for managerial strategy, don'tcha think?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
You're talking about his public relations. I'm talking about that and his managing.

He is getting paid for both and he is coming up short on both. There is no guarantee that a Major League manager will excel when he reaches that level.

Regarding 1st place, we're in a weak Division. I'm looking ahead to our hopefully peaking for the post-season.

Shut out again today through the first 8.5 innings. I look to our manager and coaching staff to find a solution. Do you deny that to a fan? Why?

As 82cCardsGrad pointed out we are now at (updated) 28 consecutive innings without scoring a run. It's time for managerial strategy, don'tcha think?
I think TL has a strategy but he is not in the lineup. Slumps happen, you know that.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Can't the closers just get a 123 inning?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One pitch.. Dbacks stink it up again.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think TL has a strategy but he is not in the lineup. Slumps happen, you know that.
Thanks for your response. Actually, I don't believe that slumps happen. That is passive. I look for good athletes (and their coaches) to react and make things happen.

Specifically, I disagree with Lovullo's haphazard lineups from game to game. I believe you choose a lineup (or two specific platoon lineups) and let it gel.

Picking a different lineup every game on a whim makes each a hit-or-miss situation. Spring training and early in the season are the times to experiment. I understand if you have a different opinion about that.

And, BTW, the D-backs lose again on a walk-off. Results speak!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I to hate how they have a different lineup ever game. They do need to gel. TL has had enough games to figure out what line up works and stick with it now in the race for the playoffs. He hasn't and looks like he won't.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Actually, I don't believe that slumps happen. That is passive. I look for good athletes (and their coaches) to react and make things happen.

Specifically, I disagree with Lovullo's haphazard lineups from game to game. I believe you choose a lineup (or two specific platoon lineups) and let it gel.

Picking a different lineup every game on a whim makes each a hit-or-miss situation. Spring training and early in the season are the times to experiment. I undersyou have a different opinion about that.

And, BTW, the D-backs lose again on a walk-off.
Yes they did. We’re tied for first in a division where 3 teams have 71+ wins. Time to jump off the bandwagon.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I to hate how they have a different lineup ever game. They do need to gel. TL has had enough games to figure out what line up works and stick with it now in the race for the playoffs. He hasn't and looks like he won't.
And to compound it, Shaggy, he announced recently that he would stick with a set lineup from this point on and has not.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes they did. We’re tied for first in a division where 3 teams have 71+ wins. Time to jump off the bandwagon.
I've supported the Diamondbacks from the start, through thick and thin. And continue to do so. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be so critical of them doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Bandwagon? Not I! I have been a National League home area baseball fan since 1952. I can't run as fast as I used to, but I can root just as hard. :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And to compound it, Shaggy, he announced recently that he would stick with a set lineup from this point on and has not.

LOL... and if he was sticking to a set lineup game after game, and players were burned out by August 1st, you’d be screaming for Torey’s head...
AJ, Souza, Goldy, Marte, Escobar, Ahmed and Mathis were all in the game tonight. Perralta sat.. maybe because MadBum is about as tough a lefty as they come...

Get over your fixation with the lineup. The key guys have had and will continue to get more than enough chances to contribute... if they’re healthy. I have my doubts about AJ’d health, but nonetheless, I expect the key guys to get the vast majority of playing time, as they have all season long.
Torey has been right to give other guys playing time as well, as coming down the stretch and IF this team somehow makes the playoffs, they will need contributions from the bench. Those bench players (mainly Jay & Descalso), will have needed to have had time off the bench.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
LOL... and if he was sticking to a set lineup game after game, and players were burned out by August 1st, you’d be screaming for Torey’s head...
AJ, Souza, Goldy, Marte, Escobar, Ahmed and Mathis were all in the game tonight. Perralta sat.. maybe because MadBum is about as tough a lefty as they come...

Get over your fixation with the lineup. The key guys have had and will continue to get more than enough chances to contribute... if they’re healthy. I have my doubts about AJ’d health, but nonetheless, I expect the key guys to get the vast majority of playing time, as they have all season long.
Torey has been right to give other guys playing time as well, as coming down the stretch and IF this team somehow makes the playoffs, they will need contributions from the bench. Those bench players (mainly Jay & Descalso), will have needed to have had time off the bench.

'Sorry, '82, but despite his announcement, Torey has continued to rotate in the infield and outfield and three Catchers game after game, not just in tonight's game. Nothing changed! That's the fact! Which I why I have lost confidence in the Manager -- his strategy and his word.

Are you inferring that Shaggy's concurring opinion is a fixation, too? 'Way too personal. Do you really not tolerate other posters having opinions different than yours? And please, don't announce what you think I'd "be screaming for". That is conjecture. I'll speak for myself. BTW, children scream. Adults talk.

Let's each hope, each in our own way, that the D-backs find a solution to their decline. What we post will have no bearing on it when all is said and done. :thumbup:

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this team is literally a .500 team that got lucky and had a hot start. they have played .500 baseball for 80% of the season.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
September will show what kind of team this is. Series with L.A., Rockies, Astros, Scrubs...that is a brutal stretch run.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think September will show anything. I think the last 2 or 3 weeks have shown what this team is and that's a .500 baseball club.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So... we have a team that by most common measures, is under-resourced with regard to talent, depth and money... And yet, for 2 consecutive years now, they have somehow scratched and clawed and fought their way into post season contention in back to back seasons. Last year getting thru the Wild Card game and Torey winning Mgr of the Year.
While I know it's so seductive when our team is actually winning and has a legit shot at post season play... it's stretches like this where we are reminded of the odds that are so stacked against a team like the Dbacks - and IMO, the incredible job Hazen and his team, and Torey and his staff have done in patching together a team with so many players who would not be seen on a routine basis on most other major league rosters.

But hey, we're here... Still tied for first place on August 29th! Truly amazing. And unlike last season when at this time we had a very comfortable feeling about reaching the post season, this year we are now effectively in post season play. And it's that reality that is now setting in and in some cases, causing guys to choke. Ahmed's running mistake last night is Exhibit A. And of course, being shut-out in back to back games when our starting pitchers have tossed gems, and when we had multiple instances of runners in scoring position, only to fail time and again...Exhibits B, C and....

Having played the game for the first 26 years of my life, I can recall a few occasions where I witnessed this first-hand. I can remember a few times where, when the ship sprung a leak and we were suddenly tossed off course over a sustained period of time late in a season with a ton riding on each game, guys began to look at one another in different, more cynical ways. "Maybe he's not the player I thought he was..." "Maybe I need to do more to cover up for his inadequacies..." "Maybe I need to step up and be the hero..." I would not at all be surprised if this is happening right now on this team. It's an easy trap to fall into and sometimes, you don't even know you're in this mindset until it's too late! Like Ahmed...I would bet a lot of money that prior to the moment he was rounding 3rd base, he was not consciously thinking to himself - "I need to be a hero in this game...I need to make a play to get this team a W..."
But, in my own experiences, it took leadership to snap us out of this mindset. First from our coach, and then from our best player who, one night on the bus after yet another disappointing loss, gathered us all in the back of the bus and helped us clear our heads. He level-set expectations... Reminded us of why we play the game and all of the great stuff that had taken place over the entire season that brought us to the point we were at (leading our division with less than 12 games left in the regular season).
We had a game 2 days after that bus trip, which we won. We played .500 the rest of the way which was enough to get us into the playoffs, where we lost a gut-wrenching nail-biter of a series to the team that would go onto to winning the championship.
The point here is that both Torey and Goldy need to step up as leaders, level-set this team, bring them together as they were at the start of the season, and inspire.

The reality is that just based on talent alone, this team shouldn't be where it is... Therefore, there may likely be no words and no real ability for Torey and Goldy to use that would get this team above and beyond the level of play they are at right now. Given the woes on offense and the now very clear melting down of our bullpen, would it really be a shock if this team finished the season 3rd in the West?? Don't think so...

Anyway, I am certain Torey is keenly aware of all of this. One of his strengths is being able to relate, communicate and inspire players. So I have no doubt he is doing this as I type. I hope it can somehow translate onto the field. Though, looking at the schedule and what lies ahead, and knowing that both LA and COL are superior teams with respect to talent, I'll stick with my prediction that the Dbacks ultimately finish 3rd in the West...but hoping beyond all hope that I am happily proved wrong!!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
'Sorry, '82, but despite his announcement, Torey has continued to rotate in the infield and outfield and three Catchers game after game, not just in tonight's game. Nothing changed! That's the fact! Which I why I have lost confidence in the Manager -- his strategy and his word.

Are you inferring that Shaggy's concurring opinion is a fixation, too? 'Way too personal. Do you really not tolerate other posters having opinions different than yours? And please, don't announce what you think I'd "be screaming for". That is conjecture. I'll speak for myself. BTW, children scream. Adults talk.

Let's each hope, each in our own way, that the D-backs find a solution to their decline. What we post will have no bearing on it when all is said and done. :thumbup:

Just to complete my comments on this topic...
While not perfect, as injuries play a big factor, I took a look at how the Dbacks compare to the Red Sox in terms of a "steady" lineup... I specifically looked at # of at-bats. And here is what I found:

The Red Sox have 5 players with more than 400 at-bats. They also have 3 more with more than 350 at-bats.
The Dbacks have 4 players with more than 400 at-bats (Goldy, Perralta, Marte and Ahmed). Pollock has 311. Jay has 230. Descalso has 292. Lamb, Owings and Dyson all have over 200... with Lamb and Dyson gone due to injury. And all three catchers have around the same, roughly between 160-180 at-bats.

I looked at the Yankees as well, and found that they have 4 players with more than 400 at-bats. 2 with more than 350...
The Cubs have 3 players with more than 400 at-bats. And 5 more with over 350.

Now, feel free to dice that up and describe how the Dbacks are vastly different than most other contending teams... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard