Philadelphia Phillies @ Arizona Diamondbacks Aug 6 - Aug 8, 2018

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very funny! I'm saying we should be better than middle of the pack.

DWKB, seriously, as we try to hold on to first place, don't you see how many games we've had more runners left on base and runners left in scoring position? I know you're not rooting for that.

If we could use more strategy (which the NL is supposed to be known for), we could take a step forward and solidify a lead. Strategy such as doing what it takes to win more games.

When all is said and done, the only team stats that matter are the numbers under "R" at the end of the game.

I sincerely would like to see our D-backs become innovators when it comes to maximizing our runners on base/runners in scoring position. Hitting the ball through the vacated side of the infield is a lot easier than reaching the seats.

I’m not trying to be funny. You posted a stat and essentially said “this matters”. The teams that excel at this stat are SDP & NYM and the team that fails the most is CHC.

If the conclusion is incorrect that we should be more like SDP & NYM and less like CHC then maybe one should step back and evaluate what they are claiming. Either you’re making the wrong deduction or you’re missing context.

Yes, the ultimate result is the “R”, but if the team that leads the league in “R” is worst in “LOB” and two of the three teams worst in “R” are two of the best in the league in “LOB” then maybe they don’t tie together like you think. Maybe there is something more basic that makes both “R” and “LOB” trend together.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That May offense is back

If we go anywhere, it will be with pitching and defense.

The good news is I’ve heard a lot of people say something about pitching, defense, and championships.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before the series started, you’d think PHI should have won last night and we should have won tonight, but baseball is funny and the opposite happened. Tomorrow favors us. Home team and better SP.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I trust the Phils so much more at home then on the road. I've been ecstatic with the starting pitching through the lase two weeks or so. You guys are the kind of tough opponent we don't see often so I'm at a loss for a feel on the game today.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
3) This concept of “lift” BC is obsessed with came from Ted Williams, who obviously knows nothing about hitting and is just a stat geek:

In The Science of Hitting, Ted Williams bemoaned that hitters "always heard that the ideal swing is level or `down."' The Hall of Famer advocated a "slight upswing" because it "puts the bat flush in line with the path of the ball for a longer period." That is, if the ball is traveling down from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove, the best chance at solid contact is to swing the bat on the same plane — up toward the pitcher's release point.

You must be registered for see images attach
It makes sense! But I believe that the concept of "slight upswing" has been exaggerated by today's players. Which is why there was such a preponderance of popups, strikeouts and sub-.200 batting averages for a large part of this season.

Our D-backs, especially Paul Goldschmidt, is an example. I'm hoping that it will turn the corner. Bob Brenly is saying at this moment that he thinks the hitters will begin to go back to taking advantage of what the defense gives them and there will be less shifts. That is the opinion of a professional player/manager/TV analyst, and I agree.

Back to Ted Williams. He is considered to be the greatest natural hitter of all time. THE greatest natural hitter of all time. And he became one of the worst managers. Because he expected his ballplayers to have the same skills as he. But there was only one Ted Williams at-bat.

And now, every marginal hitter is exaggerating "lift". Inducing popups and strikeouts. And sub-.200 batting averages and runners left in scoring position and on base.

As most good things in life, Ted Williams' "lift" has reached the point of causing more harm than good. I hope that Bob Brenly is right and that the overdone trend will reverse. And, once again, DWKB, I wouldn't call my point of view an obsession, just as I wouldn't call yours that.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Freight Train has just tripled in two runs in the 3rd. He is clearly the best, and most consistent, hitter on the team. And hardly the player you'd expect to hit triples.

I'll repeat my prediction that (if he stays healthy) David Peralta will win a batting championship in the future ... as long as he has some good hitters around him.

Speaking of that, now a sac fly by Escobar and the D-backs lead 3-0.

In the 4th, a hit-and-run single by Avila with Marte having singled. Hey, maybe there is a chance that D-backs are bringing back good ol' National League strategy.

Corbin's double play grounder, but another runs scores. Now 4-0. And Jon Jay doubles, but Goldy grounds out to end the inning.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Freight Train has just tripled in two runs in the 3rd. He is clearly the best, and most consistent, hitter on the team. And hardly the player you'd expect to hit triples.

Why do you say that? He is 4th all-time among Dbacks in triples

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avila doubles, but Corbin can't bring him home.

4-0 good guys after 6

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I recently predicted the D-backs results with even number series coming up. It was based mathematically on the difficulty in winning a 2- or 4-game series. Having to sweep the 2-game series and win 3 out of 4 in the 4-game series.

Well, following the 3-game series coming up in Cincinnati (where we can hope for 2-out-of-3) . . .

The following three series are all even number series. 2 @ the Rangers; 4 @ the Padres; and 2 vs. the Angels at home.

We would have to sweep the Rangers; take 3 out of 4 from the Padres; and sweep the Angels to win all three series.

A split in each series would be .500 for the eight games. Even 3 out of 4 @ the Padres would make us 5-4 for the three series.

So, realistically, we will probably not be in 1st place by the end of the 4 series. At this time, I don't want to look ahead in the schedule beyond that. 'Too far. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson