OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Giants look to extend modest winning-streak against scuffling Diamondbacks

Hitter to Watch
Not all who put on the hideous Diamondbacks uniforms are lost. John Ryan Murphy, a tertiary character from a William Faulkner novel and tertiary catcher on Arizona’s depth chart, is hitting .265/.291/.614. In just 87 plate appearances, he’s hit 8 home runs and put together a .349 ISO. One of those home runs, he hit against the Giants. It’s been all-or-nothing for him, though, as he has a 27% strikeout rate and a 3% walk rate. Basically, he’s been Gorkys Hernandez but with more power and less batted-ball luck.

Pitcher to Watch
In two starts against the Giants, one of which being a complete-game shutout, Patrick Corbin has pitched 14.1 IP, struck out 17, while only giving up 3 runs on 6 hits and 3 walks. Corbin has found a lot of success this year by throwing his slider much more often and relying on his sinker rather than his fastball. Even after getting knocked around for 6 runs his last time out, he still has an ERA under 3.00 (but just barely at 2.99).

He’s starting Tuesday night against Bumgarner, so if you love baseball but hate all the run-scoring, that’s the game to watch.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2...co-giants-arizona-diamondbacks-series-preview

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peralta has been doing great in the clean-up spot. And Goldy better in #2

:bang:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Peralta has been doing great in the clean-up spot. And Goldy better in #2

:bang:
Just as Pollock did.

It makes it even clearer that Goldy has lost the skills that made him a heart-of-the-order hitter.

When two line drive hitting guys batting leadoff can each step in and out-perform him under the same circumstances.

Unfortunately Goldy pulling a couple of pitches lately, fair and foul, hasn't changed the big picture.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I see that tonight's Game 1 batting order vs. the Giants is totally rearranged at the top again.

1 - Ahmed
2 - Peralta
3 - Goldy
4 - Murphy
5 - Lamb

When a person buys lottery tickets regularly, I wonder if it is better to take the same numbers each time and hope that it hits. Or totally different numbers each time.

I would think that sticking with the same numbers would increase the odds vs. random numbers each time.

I assume the Giant starter is a lefty. Hopefully, Torey Luvullo's pot-luck batting order will produce a victory tonight. We'll need runs with Godley on the mound.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Goldy seems to hit well there.
I hope that is so. We'll see if it is "seems" or "seemed".

Despite my evaluation that Goldy is no longer the player he once was, if he somehow steps up and turns it around, I would be thrilled. IIRC, he didn't do it at Dodger Stadium, which he previously "owned".

But I still believe that we should not be offering him a new contract when the time comes. Despite his accepting less money than he should have, compared to other players. That was his decision.

He is, and will always be, a quality person. And a big part of D-backs history. It just seems that he is over the hill at the relatively early age of 30.

Not based upon generalizations, but rather his inability to get around on fastballs, whatever the cause.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MARTE!!!!!

He about knocked the cover off that ball! 2-0 Dbacks!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And just like that, Godley with a couple of pitches and it's tied 2-2. I can't wait for a real starter to come back from injury. Godley sucks!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Godley is notorious for losing the lead in the same inning they get it. He is not the same as he was last year.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Then gives up a single and then a walk.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And another walk. Baseloaded. What in the world happen to this kid?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Two more runs on a bases loaded single. Under-freaking-believable.

I'll say it again. Why is he still in there? They are just now sending someone to the bullpen.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Man, that escalated quickly! I mean that really got out of hand!!! :(

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I mentioned in Post #6, "We'll need runs with Godley on the mound."

Well, he was charged for 7 runs in the 4th inning.

If I knew that, why didn't Torey have someone up in the bullpen earlier? Really!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This bullpen stinks. Why is Jake back. He stunk last year to.