Philadelphia Phillies @ Arizona Diamondbacks Aug 6 - Aug 8, 2018

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes sense! But I believe that the concept of "slight upswing" has been exaggerated by today's players. Which is why there was such a preponderance of popups, strikeouts and sub-.200 batting averages for a large part of this season.

Our D-backs, especially Paul Goldschmidt, is an example. I'm hoping that it will turn the corner. Bob Brenly is saying at this moment that he thinks the hitters will begin to go back to taking advantage of what the defense gives them and there will be less shifts. That is the opinion of a professional player/manager/TV analyst, and I agree.

Back to Ted Williams. He is considered to be the greatest natural hitter of all time. THE greatest natural hitter of all time. And he became one of the worst managers. Because he expected his ballplayers to have the same skills as he. But there was only one Ted Williams at-bat.

And now, every marginal hitter is exaggerating "lift". Inducing popups and strikeouts. And sub-.200 batting averages and runners left in scoring position and on base.

As most good things in life, Ted Williams' "lift" has reached the point of causing more harm than good. I hope that Bob Brenly is right and that the overdone trend will reverse. And, once again, DWKB, I wouldn't call my point of view an obsession, just as I wouldn't call yours that.

Again, you know not of what you speak.

Stick to the stands waiving the pennant and cheering “rah rah”. Stay out of the dugout and especially the FO. One should not desire to look the fool.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Stick to the stands waiving the pennant and cheering “rah rah”. Stay out of the dugout and especially the FO. One should not desire to look the fool.

You're amazing! Do you really think that attacking a poster with your childish sarcasm solidifies your opinion? Sarcasm is a coward's way of insulting!

I guess you're saying that you are more knowledgeable than Bob Brenly and his decades of calling pitches, Managing and doing in-game baseball commentary. LOL.

I'll remind you that he said, on the air, that too many players are trying to hit home runs. Baseball runs in cycles, which eventually become too extreme and get reversed, until they become too extreme. The Ted Williams Shift was not the .220 Hitters Shift. It was invented for baseball's last .400 hitter over seventy years ago, the best natural hitter in the game.

The best hitter on the Diamondbacks does not swing for HR's on every pitch. David Peralta picks his pitches and situations. It is a pleasure to watch him and Escobar primarily hit line drives as they carry the team while the others popup and strikeout with runners on base.

I respect your having a different opinion.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Let him have his opinion. Stop berating him because yours is different them his. Can't you have a normal back and forth conov with out the insults?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard