Arizona Cardinals have interest in bringing WR A.J. Green back

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In the Vikings game there's a play that just totally summed up Green. They had a CB who in the game was having back spasms, Bashaud Breeland. Locked up man to man Green beats Breeland untouched off the line down the right sideline. Kyler drops the ball in perfectly for a 29 yard gain and Breeland tackles Green. A younger AJ Green scores on that ball but Kyler knew Green doesn't have that gear anymore he hit him in stride but even an injured Breeland easily made up the cushion despite completely whiffing at the LOS and caught him.

That was the 2nd game of the season but that happened over and over last season, AJ won at the LOS but his lack of top end speed now allowed the D to just recover on him. I recall in some of the game threads people saying Kyler has to throw that ball more in front etc, it was really apparent why he didn't he realized AJ doesn't have the gear to separate and get it if he beats the guy off the LOS you have to throw it to him right now, or the guy is going to recover and catch him very quickly.
That's what surprised me more than anything about AJ, I thought he was supposed to be one of the faster guys in the league. But, I didn't watch a ton of Bengals in the past few years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Vikings game there's a play that just totally summed up Green. They had a CB who in the game was having back spasms, Bashaud Breeland. Locked up man to man Green beats Breeland untouched off the line down the right sideline. Kyler drops the ball in perfectly for a 29 yard gain and Breeland tackles Green. A younger AJ Green scores on that ball but Kyler knew Green doesn't have that gear anymore he hit him in stride but even an injured Breeland easily made up the cushion despite completely whiffing at the LOS and caught him.

That was the 2nd game of the season but that happened over and over last season, AJ won at the LOS but his lack of top end speed now allowed the D to just recover on him. I recall in some of the game threads people saying Kyler has to throw that ball more in front etc, it was really apparent why he didn't he realized AJ doesn't have the gear to separate and get it if he beats the guy off the LOS you have to throw it to him right now, or the guy is going to recover and catch him very quickly.
That's what surprised me more than anything about AJ, I thought he was supposed to be one of the faster guys in the league. But, I didn't watch a ton of Bengals in the past few years.
And yet his yards per catch were astonishingly good…

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But there's no YAC. He gets the jumpballs and the plays like the Vikings game where he wins at the LOS but then the guy recovers quickly/

He's not useless by any stretch but it points out why Kyler threw to him the way he threw to him, you can't lead him because he's not fast enough to go get it, unless the DB falls down if you lead him the DB will outrun him to the ball. You have to throw it right to him, either high on the sideline or drop it in the second he gets separation.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But there's no YAC. He gets the jumpballs and the plays like the Vikings game where he wins at the LOS but then the guy recovers quickly/

He's not useless by any stretch but it points out why Kyler threw to him the way he threw to him, you can't lead him because he's not fast enough to go get it, unless the DB falls down if you lead him the DB will outrun him to the ball. You have to throw it right to him, either high on the sideline or drop it in the second he gets separation.
15.7 is pretty awesome anyway you slice it no matter how he gets it… I do see what you’re saying but that’s productive when he is catching the ball.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the minority that thinks he wasn't all that bad last season. He had some brain farts but who didn't? Wouldn't break the bank for him but if he came back for the vet minimum or a little more why not? Keim won't sign/draft anyone better more than likely.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15.7 is pretty awesome anyway you slice it no matter how he gets it… I do see what you’re saying but that’s productive when he is catching the ball.

I'm good with him coming back but if he's the #2 WR again we're in deep doo doo. Others have been saying it but with the current roster essentially Ertz is our #2 Wr. Since we don't know when Maxx comes back and how good he'll be, it makes sense to bring Green back but we gotta get a real #2 Wr. Unless Rondale takes a monumental jump and becomes #2, we don't have one on the roster IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't. He could always high point the ball, every much like D-Hop. They are/were the same type of player, but AJ is a shell of his former self.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I know AJ is not what he was.

My thoughts are this:
He doesn't hurt our comp pick projections.
He isn't signed and hopefully can come back cheap. Like super cheap hopefully.
He knows the playbook.

I do get it though...... If he doesn't come cheap...... We have to move on.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Where is the speed on this offense, outside of our 5'7" gadget player? Where is the YAC ability? Keim needs to stop trying to reassemble the Pro Bowl roster from 2018 and get some pieces that actually fit this offense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the speed on this offense, outside of our 5'7" gadget player? Where is the YAC ability? Keim needs to stop trying to reassemble the Pro Bowl roster from 2018 and get some pieces that actually fit this offense.
It was supposed to be Isabella before that.... sigh

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm in the minority that thinks he wasn't all that bad last season. He had some brain farts but who didn't? Wouldn't break the bank for him but if he came back for the vet minimum or a little more why not? Keim won't sign/draft anyone better more than likely.
lol he's not coming that cheap.

Reactions: TRW

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is stupid. I mean, I'll take him over no one but he is not a solution. There has to be other WR available or something. Maybe Keim will finally hit in the draft. I feel like the only good WRs he has drafted are Kirk and Moore and Moore is still debatable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is stupid. I mean, I'll take him over no one but he is not a solution. There has to be other WR available or something. Maybe Keim will finally hit in the draft. I feel like the only good WRs he has drafted are Kirk and Moore and Moore is still debatable.
It's crazy to me after seeing a full season of an unreliable AJ Green, we may have ZERO other ideas but to bring him back.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally, you bring in a vet and still draft (if it works out that way) one of the top wrs.

We might really roll with Wesley and a guy taken in the 3rd round.
I'd prefer that to drafting one in rounds 1 or 2. We need offensive and especially defensive line help in the worst way.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I'm super down on the next season. And probably the 4 after that.
I was somehow fine with last season, even with the epic collapse, because I felt we overachieved.

This year feels like I am on a Japanese game show (batsu)

You must be registered for see images attach

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd prefer that to drafting one in rounds 1 or 2. We need offensive and especially defensive line help in the worst way.
If its not one of the top guys then I have no problem going guard in the 1st round. However, people are vastly underrating the loss of Kirk. Its no guarantee Rondale can fill that role. So if we can get a young WR that's ready to play then we need to get one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard