Arizona Cardinals have interest in bringing WR A.J. Green back

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm fine with it, for the right $$$. He had mental lapses, for sure, but he wasn't a malcontent and he's obviously not the one who leaked the team/Kyler info, like some have suggested. I really think the team of Kliff, Keim and Bidwill are banking on keeping key players (Nuk) healthy, as they see that's where the team fell off and just totally lost it's mojo.

Keep Nuk healthy, put Watt on a pitch count (and enforce it this year), see if you can get about 15% more production from Green and pray the 2 young LB's show up to play.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine with it, for the right $$$. He had mental lapses, for sure, but he wasn't a malcontent and he's obviously not the one who leaked the team/Kyler info, like some have suggested. I really think the team of Kliff, Keim and Bidwill are banking on keeping key players (Nuk) healthy, as they see that's where the team fell off and just totally lost it's mojo.

Keep Nuk healthy, put Watt on a pitch count (and enforce it this year), see if you can get about 15% more production from Green and pray the 2 young LB's show up to play.
If this is the plan good luck with it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
sigh

are the weird mental lapses just him? has he always had moments where he plays like he is afraid of getting hurt?

would love to hear a Bengals fan's pov

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
AJ Green was below average last year and made a lot of errors in multiple games. Don’t really care if he’s back or not.
That is totally off, he was average and at times a bit extra which is what we needed next to D-Hop. The problem is Keim selecting the likes of complimentary WRs who cannot pan out for even that position during the draft... so happy to see Kirk and Isabella shown the door out, and time for Keim to finally draft a legit #1 or #2 WR

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The huge contracts offered Hill and others have priced Cards out of market for a FA WR. That is moving them to resign AJ at a low price. Probably a good idea. Do hope they draft a WR too. Not sure they will having just 3 picks that you would expect to ever be starters. CB, DT, IOL is about all we could hope for this time around. Not very exciting really unless some top stud falls down the board and we are smart enough to take advantage of that. I am sure all of us could list 22 players picked before us and still find someone who might turn out to be a real catch, so to speak. The main key is probably how many QBs are taken before our pick. If that number is 2 or 3, we are probably looking good.

I just did a quick mock with 2 qbs going before our pick and we had these 8 players left to pick from to name a few:
Tyler Linderbaum
Kenyon Green
Trent McDuffie
Andrew Booth Jr.
Zion Johnson
Bernhard Raimann
Jahan Dotson

A quick 2nd mock effort on a different site produced these 8 to pick from:

Trent McDuffie (CB) Washington
Garrett Wilson (WR) Ohio State
Trevor Penning (OT) Northern Iowa
Chris Olave (WR) Ohio State
George Karlaftis (DE/OLB) Purdue
Treylon Burks (WR) Arkansas
Kingsley Enagbare (DE/OLB) South Carolina
Jordan Davis (DT) Georgia

A quick 3rd mock effort with a sightly different big board produced these 8 to pick from:

Drake Jackson (DE/OLB) USC
Roger McCreary (CB) Auburn
Trevor Penning (OT) Northern Iowa
DeMarvin Leal (DT) Texas A&M
Chris Olave (WR) Ohio State
Andrew Booth Jr. (CB) Clemson
George Karlaftis (DE/OLB) Purdue
Kaiir Elam (CB) Florida

So you see, no matter how you do it, there will be a couple plums for us to choose from. Now that I said that, it just dawned on me who we have making those picks. Oh well, never mind!

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If one watches the whole season, guess some really do not... please sign him back for a reasonable contract and then get a young gun in the draft
Yeah, except we'll sign him back and Keim will consider the WR position fine. Just like he apparently sees the OL as fine. We'll get older, bring back another guy who wilted at the end and who had severe mental lapses, and we'll supposedly be fine lol Can't believe we'd be stupid enough to just run it back, only not quite as much. I'd laugh if it didn't make you cry.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is a Kyler problem more than it revolves around the WRs. This is something we should be able to see, just like us seeing the open guys which were options that Kyler for whatever reason later during the season did not take advantage of. I think what we really have is a OL problem, to be more exact a guard problem which needs to get fixed so our young QB can get over his demons and find the open guy... run the play by Kliff which could have been successful if Kyler was not mentally lazy and had some fortitude because he has the physical ability

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AJ Green was below average last year and made a lot of errors in multiple games. Don’t really care if he’s back or not.

He wasn't below average but he certainly didn't finish well. I watched the 2nd half of the Vikings game last night on NFL N, the Vikings played a gimmick defense because D Hop had 5 catches in the first quarter so they were doubling and at times tripling him daring Kyler to throw there. So Kyler went over and over to Rondale and Maxx and then later to AJ. Green had a TD on a screen pass and a couple of nice downfield catches, had a clear drop, had another play where he ran the wrong way on a route and had 2 catches where he immediately fell down without looking to run.

But he actually overall had a good game. As the season went on and D Hop got hurt seemed like Green lost interest he didn't want to be the man.

Would prefer other guys but if they're going to keep Green and he's not being relied on to be the man I guess I can handle that

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No question when you lose your top receiver the next guy gets more double coverage especially from teams playing a Tampa 2 defense. Green still got the 800 yards I predicted before the season. I wouldn’t expect quite as much this year but adding a top WR in the draft would fit this arrangement well. i also think the pressure seemed to get to Murray when Hopkins went out and he was less accurate with his passes. Green is certainly nearing the end of his career but he knows the offense and wins most 50/50 balls.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
He gets to some jump balls, has multiple mental lapses, and can't seem to separate like he used to. Sign him super cheap or move on.
Not the world we live in Indy, "you belong in a museum" Dr. Jones... but seriously, look at what Kirk just got and for better or worse this is the value scale which one then rates a WR's ability, even Green past his prime now gets a hitch to his payday and hopefully they give him a fair deal which he accepts and not some outrageous crap as the NFL goes off the deep end with contracts

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the world we live in Indy, "you belong in a museum" Dr. Jones... but seriously, look at what Kirk just got and for better or worse this is the value scale which one then rates a WR's ability, even Green past his prime and hopefully they give him a fair deal which he accepts and not some outrageous crap as the NFL goes off the deep end with contracts
Older WRs aren’t racking in the ridiculous contracts young guys are.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True.

1. Do you want AJ back?
2. If so, what price?

Me? I don't want particularly want him back, but if I could get a 3-4M deal for him, I'd do it.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
But it's Keim in the ultimate penny pinching mode all of a sudden harkening to Cardinal days of old, which might prevent us from even offering Green a fair contract in relation to the current landscape... Good Lord Keim, we have more holes right now than a golf course

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He gets to some jump balls, has multiple mental lapses, and can't seem to separate like he used to. Sign him super cheap or move on.

In the Vikings game there's a play that just totally summed up Green. They had a CB who in the game was having back spasms, Bashaud Breeland. Locked up man to man Green beats Breeland untouched off the line down the right sideline. Kyler drops the ball in perfectly for a 29 yard gain and Breeland tackles Green. A younger AJ Green scores on that ball but Kyler knew Green doesn't have that gear anymore he hit him in stride but even an injured Breeland easily made up the cushion despite completely whiffing at the LOS and caught him.

That was the 2nd game of the season but that happened over and over last season, AJ won at the LOS but his lack of top end speed now allowed the D to just recover on him. I recall in some of the game threads people saying Kyler has to throw that ball more in front etc, it was really apparent why he didn't he realized AJ doesn't have the gear to separate and get it if he beats the guy off the LOS you have to throw it to him right now, or the guy is going to recover and catch him very quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson