Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As bizarre as it seems o am not sure Ayton truly knows how to use all the tools he has for everything yet. His timing in lob passes is off too. i feel like because of his size and the fact that he looks 40 some of the things he hasn’t developed yet are much more noticeable.
I agree. It seems like he’s not fully aware of what he can do. I’ll admit at times I’m wary of his drive. He seems so blaise in the court. That said demeanor can be deceiving (See Tim Duncan).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As bizarre as it seems o am not sure Ayton truly knows how to use all the tools he has for everything yet. His timing in lob passes is off too. i feel like because of his size and the fact that he looks 40 some of the things he hasn’t developed yet are much more noticeable.

it's just weird. I know it's not science it's a game but if one guy is taller, with a longer reach and a MUCH better vertical, there's just no way he should not win the tip. He must not time it right, even the opening tip he just barely got the tip over Welsh. In the game there are plays where Ayton rebounded the ball and he's 18 inches higher than Welsh, it's obvious when he has a step or two for momentum he can absolutely sky off the floor, but he just doesn't seem to know how on the jumps. I suspect it's why he's not the elite shot blocker you think he would be at his size and reach, its a timing thing.

Phenomenal player. There was one play last night in the OT where he caught a lob in the middle of the zone, reverse pivoted and nailed the short jumper. Watching it live I immediately said "he walked." Then they showed the replay and in fact it was a completely legal move, it's just not something you see a kid that age at that size do so you assume it's a walk and it's really not.

And last night for the first time all year that I saw, he hit a half hook over his left shoulder against Welsh. you could see the look on Welsh's face was holy crap I finally got him where he couldn't just face up and shoot over me, and he hits that shot. But it looked perfect.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
it's just weird. I know it's not science it's a game but if one guy is taller, with a longer reach and a MUCH better vertical, there's just no way he should not win the tip. He must not time it right, even the opening tip he just barely got the tip over Welsh. In the game there are plays where Ayton rebounded the ball and he's 18 inches higher than Welsh, it's obvious when he has a step or two for momentum he can absolutely sky off the floor, but he just doesn't seem to know how on the jumps. I suspect it's why he's not the elite shot blocker you think he would be at his size and reach, its a timing thing.

Phenomenal player. There was one play last night in the OT where he caught a lob in the middle of the zone, reverse pivoted and nailed the short jumper. Watching it live I immediately said "he walked." Then they showed the replay and in fact it was a completely legal move, it's just not something you see a kid that age at that size do so you assume it's a walk and it's really not.

And last night for the first time all year that I saw, he hit a half hook over his left shoulder against Welsh. you could see the look on Welsh's face was holy crap I finally got him where he couldn't just face up and shoot over me, and he hits that shot. But it looked perfect.
He’s really skilled for such an athletic specimen. As long as he has the drive and coachability he should be great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. It seems like he’s not fully aware of what he can do. I’ll admit at times I’m wary of his drive. He seems so blaise in the court. That said demeanor can be deceiving (See Tim Duncan).

true, but Duncan was always an animal on D, even in college and he excelled moreso on fundamental basketball than athleticism.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true, but Duncan was always an animal on D, even in college and he excelled moreso on fundamental basketball than athleticism.

Ayton's a great athlete but what has impressed me the most this year is his passing. Two of the big plays early in the 2nd half were him drawing a double and kicking to PJC for a 3. One was clearly a set play, the announcers even said Arizona was working on it earlier in the day when they watched their run through, but the 2nd one was just a really good find by Ayton. For a kid who didn't grow up playing basketball that stuff is impressive. Tony Parker grew up playing hoops, and played 4 years at UCLA, and he still could never figure out how to kick the ball out when he got doubled he'd just try to go through the double. Seeing a kid like Ayton who is so good at that as a freshman is very impressive.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Difference between a OAD player and a four-year guy. Even specimens like Ayton are raw coming out of college and have a lot to learn. This is why it’s so imperative that these dudes are coachable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difference between a OAD player and a four-year guy. Even specimens like Ayton are raw coming out of college and have a lot to learn. This is why it’s so imperative that these dudes are coachable.

That’s a good point, but even so, Duncan always had dog in him on D.

That said, I still think Ayton has generational talent and he IS coschable. Which is good because he’s gonna need someone to push him a little harder to become an elite defender. The tools are there.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry Scott said it was a great turnout by Pac-12 fans, he should of said "thank you Arizona" because if not for the great support from UofA fans, the Pac-12 tournament would be holding the tournament in a smaller arena.

TJ

Reaction score
Larry Scott said it was a great turnout by Pac-12 fans, he should of said "thank you Arizona" because if not for the great support from UofA fans, the Pac-12 tournament would be holding the tournament in a smaller arena.

Scott needs to understand where his bread is buttered. We'll still turn out for Vegas next year, but not to this degree. Stop being a prick to Arizona.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to see DeAndre Ayton in a Arizona uniform six more times.

He was remarkable in that tourney but I guess the cynic in me says I don't think UCLA is a very good team, and it took OT to beat us on a day where our best player was 5-20 from the floor.

Arizona's starting 5 is as good as anybody in the country, I'm not sure you get enough from the bench to win the whole thing. The announcer at the end last night was talking about all the controversy Arizona had to play through and how at the end they rallied around it and are playing their best ball, against USC and Colorado I would agree, 2 very impressive performances dominating teams that were playing quite well. The UCLA game was a better defensive performance, and an absolutely awesome performance by Ayton, but it wasn't nearly as good a performance as a team as the other 2 wins were. That's the problem in the NCAA tournament, if you play like that against a really good team, and UCLA isn't really good, you just might lose.

This years tourney is wide open, it wouldn't stun me at all to see UA get to the FF this year, it wouldn't stun me to see them lose their 2nd game, it all depends on the draw.

The other concern if I were a UA fan, Trier's 3 point shot seems to have gone south. Since he got reinstated over the PED use issue, he's gone 6-30 from 3. He's obviously got plenty of time to get in the gym and work through his slump but that's going to be a key to your postseason, the way Ayton is playing teams are going to have to dare your guards to beat them. PJC did it against UCLA, Trier was 2-10 and one of those that went in nearly broke the rim and then somehow went in, and he had 2 airballs, very unusual shooting from him of late.

I think right now I'm leaning towards Michigan State as the favorite but it's wide open. The 2 most interesting teams to me are Arizona, all that talent, the FBI story, and no final fours yet for Miller, this could be the year, and Virginia, another great regular season, #1 seed, but Bennett seems to underperform his seed every year, will be fascinating to watch.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He was remarkable in that tourney but I guess the cynic in me says I don't think UCLA is a very good team, and it took OT to beat us on a day where our best player was 5-20 from the floor.

Arizona's starting 5 is as good as anybody in the country, I'm not sure you get enough from the bench to win the whole thing. The announcer at the end last night was talking about all the controversy Arizona had to play through and how at the end they rallied around it and are playing their best ball, against USC and Colorado I would agree, 2 very impressive performances dominating teams that were playing quite well. The UCLA game was a better defensive performance, and an absolutely awesome performance by Ayton, but it wasn't nearly as good a performance as a team as the other 2 wins were. That's the problem in the NCAA tournament, if you play like that against a really good team, and UCLA isn't really good, you just might lose.

This years tourney is wide open, it wouldn't stun me at all to see UA get to the FF this year, it wouldn't stun me to see them lose their 2nd game, it all depends on the draw.

The other concern if I were a UA fan, Trier's 3 point shot seems to have gone south. Since he got reinstated over the PED use issue, he's gone 6-30 from 3. He's obviously got plenty of time to get in the gym and work through his slump but that's going to be a key to your postseason, the way Ayton is playing teams are going to have to dare your guards to beat them. PJC did it against UCLA, Trier was 2-10 and one of those that went in nearly broke the rim and then somehow went in, and he had 2 airballs, very unusual shooting from him of late.

I think right now I'm leaning towards Michigan State as the favorite but it's wide open. The 2 most interesting teams to me are Arizona, all that talent, the FBI story, and no final fours yet for Miller, this could be the year, and Virginia, another great regular season, #1 seed, but Bennett seems to underperform his seed every year, will be fascinating to watch.

I feel better about this team than I did last year even though they were a 2 seed. I just think PJC holding his own vs really good PG’s and Ayton being much better than Markkanen is the difference. Much more worried about Rawle than Zo. Like always they could go out early with a bad matchup.

With Romar going to Pepperdine Miller will need to hire two new assistants. Pastner is probably too toxic given our situation. Hopefully they’ll have some international ties.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s the story during EVERY PAC-12 tournament, not just this one.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really rough draw for us. 4 seed, Kentucky waiting in round 2, the overall number 1 looming in the sweet 16...

Yikes.

TJ

Reaction score
NCAA is free basing today.

ASU and Syracuse should’ve been out. USC should’ve been in.

Arizona in ththe South region against possibly UK in the 2nd round?

Horseshit

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I think zona got hosed. Tough pull. Gotta earn it now boys. Kentucky zona in round 2 should be epic. If we are lucky maybe a matchup of future suns teammates (ayton and shai gilgeous Alexander)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, Arizona dropped one spot this week per the committee from 15 to 16.

Between this and OK State, Louisville, and USC getting left out I guess you could say the NCAA handed out their penalties early.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NCAA is free basing today.

ASU and Syracuse should’ve been out. USC should’ve been in.

Arizona in ththe South region against possibly UK in the 2nd round?

Horseshit
ASU had a strong case. Two wins over #1 seeds.

TJ

Reaction score

Also had a worse RPI and overall SOS than USC by a pretty wide margin. They were great wins, but using two games as the rationale for getting in over another team is silly. There were 30+ other games played

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really rough draw for us. 4 seed, Kentucky waiting in round 2, the overall number 1 looming in the sweet 16...

Yikes.

Kentucky is name only though. Admittedly they didn't have Vanderbilt when UCLA beat them, but I was not impressed with their guards that day at all. They are not that great, they have athletes but they have no prayer at stopping Ayton inside.

My take on USC not getting in is the same as Oklahoma State, the NCAA picked ASU over USC, and OU over OSU because USC and OSU are implicated in the FBI story and given a choice they picked the team that's less likely to have to vacate games later on.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Arizona dropped one spot this week per the committee from 15 to 16.

Between this and OK State, Louisville, and USC getting left out I guess you could say the NCAA handed out their penalties early.

Exactly, when in doubt they left out teams who might have to vacate later and they might have even down seeded arizona for the same reason.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tough to say, they also beat USC head to head, but just barely. In the same conference over a full pac 12 season they finished well behind USC.