Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Based on your response above regarding positive tests, you have a clear bias in the situation and it really isn’t worth explaining it to you.

Obviously, the NCAA, the entity you seem to think will give Arizona the death penalty after the Book fiasco, found the explanation reasonable when it really had no incentive to do so.
I don’t recall ever seeing Russ say anything close to death penalty. Calm down and try to engage in a real conversation.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
“...one of the biggest lies ever” - gimme a break. Even good guys end up bad guys with PEDs and drugs. Walter Davis, probably one of the greatest good guys ever . . . drug scandal.

This has been disputed by every national and local site and ever insider. many others have stuck their necks out for Trier, so he’s earned the benefit of the doubt at worst. If you choose to think Trier purposefully took PEDs, that’s your prerogative, but understand that goes against everything that’s been reported and appealed through the NCAA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This has been disputed by every national and local site and ever insider. many others have stuck their necks out for Trier, so he’s earned the benefit of the doubt at worst. If you choose to think Trier purposefully took PEDs, that’s your prerogative, but understand that goes against everything that’s been reported and appealed through the NCAA.
TJ, no offense, but your credibility about UofA has become close to nil for me today given how you similarly vehemently claimed nothing was coming out of the FBI investigation. And on top of it you’ve yet to say, “yup my bad I was wrong.” But I guess when you want to attack others it’s difficult to own up to your failures.

That entire Trier story is so difficult to believe that if he wasn’t at Arizona you’d be crying foul.

TJ

Reaction score
TJ, no offense

"I'm not a racist, but..."

but your credibility about UofA has become close to nil for me today given how you similarly vehemently claimed nothing was coming out of the FBI investigation. And on top of it you’ve yet to say, “yup my bad I was wrong.” But I guess when you want to attack others it’s difficult to own up to your failures.

And your brother can @ other posters and rub it in their nose without being called out. That must be true credibility.

That entire Trier story is so difficult to believe that if he wasn’t at Arizona you’d be crying foul.

You mean the guy who's argued for Barry Bonds, ASU alum and Giants slugger, and other known PED users and "cheaters" to get into the Hall of Fame? If you're going to judge a man's credibility, at least know where he stands on issues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'm not a racist, but..."

And your brother can @ other posters and rub it in their nose without being called out. That must be true credibility.

You mean the guy who's argued for Barry Bonds, ASU alum and Giants slugger, and other known PED users and "cheaters" to get into the Hall of Fame? If you're going to judge a man's credibility, at least know where he stands on issues.

This is hilarious.

It’s okay to just say:

I was wrong.

Seriously. It won’t hurt nearly as much as you must fear. Go check my Josh McCown Is The Answer Thread for proof it’s posdible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know that anything that started out so promising has ever ended so terribly... this f'ing sucks.

I hope in a few months we at least get a title we will later vacate.

TJ

Reaction score
This is hilarious.

It’s okay to just say:

I was wrong.

Seriously. It won’t hurt nearly as much as you must fear. Go check my Josh McCown Is The Answer Thread for proof it’s posdible.
What am I wrong about? Think about it. What prompted all of these leaks after five months of dead silence? Mistakes made by the FBI confirmed by the public. The basis of my argument is that the investigation was leaking oil because there was a lot of vital evidence that was in jeopardy of being tossed out, and none of that has changed. Never once did I predict that Miller or Arizona were getting off completely clean and I even suggested that the team consider a self-imposed ban to lessen the blow likely to be given by the NCAA.

Perhaps I should've been more clear about this distinction

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What am I wrong about? Think about it. What prompted all of these leaks after five months of dead silence? Mistakes made by the FBI confirmed by the public. The basis of my argument is that the investigation was leaking oil because there was a lot of vital evidence that was in jeopardy of being tossed out, and none of that has changed. Never once did I predict that Miller or Arizona were getting off completely clean and I even suggested that the team consider a self-imposed ban to lessen the blow likely to be given by the NCAA.

Okay.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that anything that started out so promising has ever ended so terribly... this f'ing sucks.

I hope in a few months we at least get a title we will later vacate.

Maybe we can go on a Jeff Fischer miracle Michigan-esque run where the asst. takes over for an overrated coach and takes an otherwise talented team all the way?

That was still one of the first incredible tourney runs I can clearly remember. Glen Rice going nuts, with Rumeal Robinson playing the best basketball of his otherwise pedestrian life.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Uh yeah, THAT was the message you were hammering at us . . .

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Channeling his inner Xavier Johnson

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why when they can use replay they don't. How is that not a flagrant 1 if not an ejection on Collier for grabbing PJC's ankle? PJC has a history of ankle injuries, he could have easily gotten hurt there, total non basketball play. I think they called the T on him for arguing with Ristic, NOT for the actual play which IMO he could have easily been ejected for.

At the end of the day the most important thing refs can do is protect the kids on the court

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This game must’ve been boring as hell looking at the box score. Ayton goes 4-14 and they shoot a combined 60 FT’s. With a win tomorrow they could probably get on the 3-line.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This game must’ve been boring as hell looking at the box score. Ayton goes 4-14 and they shoot a combined 60 FT’s. With a win tomorrow they could probably get on the 3-line.

Every game I watched partially yesterday was completely destroyed by the refs.

UCLA 2nd straight game had to play a walkon guard in the middle of the game due to Hands injury, and so many fouls being called. Oregon caught up and won largely due to the officiating. I barely watched the USC game so no idea on that one.

I know the refs work other conferences too, they're not just Pac 12 refs but man it seems like the games are being reffed so inconsistently.

That play by Collier was just such a dirty play I don't think you go benefit of the doubt on something like that, throw the kid out. There's just no valid reason a kid grabs a guys ankle like that

TJ

Reaction score
That play by Collier was just such a dirty play I don't think you go benefit of the doubt on something like that, throw the kid out. There's just no valid reason a kid grabs a guys ankle like that

How that wasn't a flagrant is beyong me. I'd say that's closer to a flagrant 2 than a common foul, but alas, Pac-12 refs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How that wasn't a flagrant is beyong me. I'd say that's closer to a flagrant 2 than a common foul, but alas, Pac-12 refs.

he should have been ejected. Ristic's reaction was exactly why you throw the guy out, because it's a dirty play and teammates are going to come to the aid of the player and it can escalate. the righ tmove is throw out Collier, send the message we're not allowing stuff like that no benefit of the doubt, you grab a guys ankle like that you're gone. I thought UA handled it quite well, it could have easily gotten ugly there but they just played through it pulled away and won.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the game not televised on DirectTV? Florida international is on for Pete sakes!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAn that Ayton kid is good.

I said it the first game he missed so many mid range shots in that game I knew it wouldn't happen again and I don't think he missed one midrange tonight.

UCLA was just gassed in the OT in particular Holiday playing 40 minutes back to back. Arizona's defense just wore him down, never seen PJC guard that well.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
MAn that Ayton kid is good.

I said it the first game he missed so many mid range shots in that game I knew it wouldn't happen again and I don't think he missed one midrange tonight.

UCLA was just gassed in the OT in particular Holiday playing 40 minutes back to back. Arizona's defense just wore him down, never seen PJC guard that well.

Welsh has held his own vs Ayton this year. He’s put together a nice career at UCLA. We picked a good night for Holiday’s shot to be off.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was the game I wanted because next year the Cats will not beat UCLA. Ayton was a man playing against kids. UCLA should still make the tournament but the ways things have played out, ASU might be playing in the NIT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welsh has held his own vs Ayton this year. He’s put together a nice career at UCLA. We picked a good night for Holiday’s shot to be off.

I love Welsh just a great kid. He played his butt off tonight but he kept giving Ayton that midrange without actually putting his hands up and Ayton never missed.

I've pointed this out before, how in the world does Ayton keep losing jump balls? He won the opening tip but lost the jump in the OT to Welsh, he's taller, has a better reach, and a better vertical, does he just not time jump balls well or something. Been bugging me all year how often he loses the jump ball, at this point it's about the only weakness I can find.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love Welsh just a great kid. He played his butt off tonight but he kept giving Ayton that midrange without actually putting his hands up and Ayton never missed.

I've pointed this out before, how in the world does Ayton keep losing jump balls? He won the opening tip but lost the jump in the OT to Welsh, he's taller, has a better reach, and a better vertical, does he just not time jump balls well or something. Been bugging me all year how often he loses the jump ball, at this point it's about the only weakness I can find.

As bizarre as it seems o am not sure Ayton truly knows how to use all the tools he has for everything yet. His timing in lob passes is off too. i feel like because of his size and the fact that he looks 40 some of the things he hasn’t developed yet are much more noticeable.