Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton ruled eligible for the season. Randolph sounds like a 1&done based on this exhibition game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/896799068201996288

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little bit I saw of Randolph last year he looked really good but not one and done. honestly there are very few one and dones in this freshman class, Ayton is clear one of them and if Bagley is in this class(announces tonight) he is too.

I guess the highlight was labelled wrong the poster by Randolph from what I clicked on was a jumpshot?

With Ayton cleared Arizona is absolutely loaded.

I still think Bagley to duke or overseas but if he picks UCLA or USC and actually plays watching him and Ayton head to head a few times would be fun. although IIRC we only play you guys once this year.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The little bit I saw of Randolph last year he looked really good but not one and done. honestly there are very few one and dones in this freshman class, Ayton is clear one of them and if Bagley is in this class(announces tonight) he is too.

I guess the highlight was labelled wrong the poster by Randolph from what I clicked on was a jumpshot?

With Ayton cleared Arizona is absolutely loaded.

I still think Bagley to duke or overseas but if he picks UCLA or USC and actually plays watching him and Ayton head to head a few times would be fun. although IIRC we only play you guys once this year.

Were Kobi and Ike expected to be OAD before the season? Rawle almost left too...

If SC lands Bagley we have to hope for chemistry problems b/c they're stacked. Top-5 team... His 11pm eastern announcement bodes well for the LA schools.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were Kobi and Ike expected to be OAD before the season? Rawle almost left too...

If SC lands Bagley we have to hope for chemistry problems b/c they're stacked. Top-5 team... His 11pm eastern announcement bodes well for the LA schools.

Kobi was, everyone knew he had no interest in staying in school. Alkins was a guy who many weren't even sure would qualify so it's no surprise he considered leaving but made the right call to stay. With Ike he's such a big strong kid that showing anything at all got him NBA attention and then when you add in that he has a bad knee, it just made sense to go pro early and get NBA money while he could. Apparently the medical reports on his knee were such that it didn't really matter if he came back and improved he wasn't going to move up in stock that much because of the knee.

Randolph is certainly talented but there are so many good SG's in the NBA, to get there as a one and done is truly tough and with Trier and Alkins ahead of him it's going to be tough for him to get enough minutes. I actually think he's a very good prospect but seems likely he's in college at least 2 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forgot to add yeah on paper with Bagley, USc has to lose someone but still they'd be loaded. I'm not a huge fan of Enfield the coach, he teaches shooting well and has great recruiters, but I don't think they have played to their talent level since he's been the coach. as athletic as they are the defense should have been better. But it's kind of hard to do much wrong with a kid like Bagley, what makes him so special is he's not just big and freakishly skilled, he plays hard all the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DUKE just landed Tre Jones, does that help them seal the deal with Bagley?

I don't know if there's much of a connection with Jones and Bagley but it won't hurt. Duke is the favorite although there are rumors on UCLA boards he's picking UCLA and rumors on USC boards he's picking SC. In the end the easy way to go is Duke and he probably will. Even if he picks UCLA I'm not excited until he actually suits up I still think right now it's more likely he doesn't play college ball than he does.

I have a suspicion he knows he's going overseas and is doing the whole reclass and announce stuff just to get lots of media attention before he ultimate winds up overseas. It's not clear to me what happens if he's not able to reclass, probably has to go one more year of HS.

I do hope we get to see him in college but I don't expect we will.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hope he picks China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope he picks China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Evan Daniels and Jerry Meyer posted on Twitter that he CAN play in college in 2017 if he wants to which implies someone in the Bagley camp told them he's been cleared to reclassify.

No idea.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18-0 in the Pac this year. No LA trip

On paper definitely the case, with Bagley not in the conference UA has the best team.

I expect if Bagley actually clears that makes Duke preseason #1.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
On paper definitely the case, with Bagley not in the conference UA has the best team.

I expect if Bagley actually clears that makes Duke preseason #1.

No doubt. I think USC with Bagley is better than Duke with Bagley but they wouldn't have put SC #1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I think USC with Bagley is better than Duke with Bagley but they wouldn't have put SC #1.

Depends on how good Duval is and if Bolden is legit and Goodman is saying he's heard Bolden has looked terrific this offseason. With Bolden and Carter there I assume Coach K was able to sell Bagley I won't play you as a post I'll move you around and that wasn't going to be the case at USC or UCLA he would have been a 4, at USC he might have had to play some 5.

I sure hope you guys play Duke at sometime this year if Bagley can play, would love to watch him and Ayton go head to head in a real game. i've seen some footage of them in AAU type settings but they don't really guard each other much

TJ

Reaction score
This Duke team might struggle with defense, but I didn't realize it wouldn't have much shooting, either:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Duke team might struggle with defense, but I didn't realize it wouldn't have much shooting, either:

They will have issues but I think he's overstating that some. I seriously doubt Carter, Bolden and Bagley will be on the court together too much remember they still have Gary Trent Jr coming in a terrific shooter, they have Duval, and they return Grayson Allen who when he's not tripping people is a good shooter. O'Connell another freshman is supposed to be a very good shooter, not sure how much he'll actually play with Allen and Trent.

They should be really big, neither Carter nor Bolden are bigtime shot blockers, Bagley can be but he doesn't really want to play the post so who knows where they play him defensively. But they're going to be extremely long and should be a menace rebounding wise.

I think the biggest question will be playing time and finding the right lineups but that's always a nice problem.

Everyone has weaknesses, Kansas has a lack of depth due to having several transfers sitting out, especially their front line, UK as always inexperienced, Arizona the question is likely PG, Duke has some too.

I certainly don't think Bagley guarantees Duke an NC, I'm still not clear he'll actually play although it sounds much more likely based on what is being said now about his academics.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They will have issues but I think he's overstating that some. I seriously doubt Carter, Bolden and Bagley will be on the court together too much remember they still have Gary Trent Jr coming in a terrific shooter, they have Duval, and they return Grayson Allen who when he's not tripping people is a good shooter. O'Connell another freshman is supposed to be a very good shooter, not sure how much he'll actually play with Allen and Trent.

They should be really big, neither Carter nor Bolden are bigtime shot blockers, Bagley can be but he doesn't really want to play the post so who knows where they play him defensively. But they're going to be extremely long and should be a menace rebounding wise.

I think the biggest question will be playing time and finding the right lineups but that's always a nice problem.

Everyone has weaknesses, Kansas has a lack of depth due to having several transfers sitting out, especially their front line, UK as always inexperienced, Arizona the question is likely PG, Duke has some too.

I certainly don't think Bagley guarantees Duke an NC, I'm still not clear he'll actually play although it sounds much more likely based on what is being said now about his academics.
I think the NCAA will clear him academically, he's too much of a draw being the #1 overall player in the class. The only obstacle Duke has is if his father steers him overseas to start getting paid.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

----------

When I heard about the first tweet I believed it right away considering Quinerly committed but glad he's staying. He should be the guy in year 2-3.

TJ

Reaction score
Whoever hacked him is a dick. Not funny for him or the fans.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever hacked him is a dick. Not funny for him or the fans.

A few days ago someone on BRO asked about this possibility and I said I didn't think it was remotely possible given how Williams has been so positive and seemed to know Quinerly was going to UA too.

After the hacked tweet someone on BRO immediately jumped on my post and said I guess you were wrong, he's back open. I've been out of contact for almost 3 days now, very limited wifi, and I get back and surprise, he's not decommitted and that person yanked down their post on BRO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously BRO is getting hilarious. Now people are claiming Williams is lying about being hacked because Twitter is "pretty tough to hack" and that he just deleted it after changing his mind and then claimed he was hacked.

One guy who's pretty sharp pointed out that hacked probably means Williams left his phone sitting on a table somewhere unlocked and one of his buddies picked it up and posted that on Twitter as a joke.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Even though it may not count eventually this year will still be fun.

TJ

Reaction score
Even though it may not count eventually this year will still be fun.

Win the natty and have it vacated a year later. I’ll still have it on DVR and the t-shirt to prove it happened.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching the Red/Blue game, this is the most athletic UofA team I have ever seen. Ayton is a man among boys. I would love to see him in a Suns uniform next year. I like what I see from Barcello too. He will see playing time this year. The defense is going to be one of the best in the country. I think nothing less than a Final Four will be a disappointment.