Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In what regard?

He seems to contradict himself quite a bit. He'll say this is the big week for Trier but then he'll say nobody knows that's going on. Then it's for sure not about this/that.. Maybe it's an unfair criticism seeing how he really isn't an insider. I like his rundowns in the weekly reports and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable about breaking down games and stuff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still guessing that he tested positive for something, said it was caused by meds he takes and now is in the awkward position cyclists and body builders get into when they do that of answering the question, if your meds caused it, how come it's only happened once?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Little off topic but Diallo picked UK, I know there was some buzz that UA land him mid season but this ends that speculation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little off topic but Diallo picked UK, I know there was some buzz that UA land him mid season but this ends that speculation.

The claim is he won't play for UK until next season but of course lots of people suspect he might wind up just going pro after the season. use his time now to practice against Fox and Monk for 3 months, get seen by NBA scouts and then turn pro.

Would be interesting, I imagine if he looks really good UK might ask him to skip the RS and play but there's some people who think he doesn't want to risk injury in games in case he decides to turn pro.

So UA might not have actually lost a thing by not getting him

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The claim is he won't play for UK until next season but of course lots of people suspect he might wind up just going pro after the season. use his time now to practice against Fox and Monk for 3 months, get seen by NBA scouts and then turn pro.

Would be interesting, I imagine if he looks really good UK might ask him to skip the RS and play but there's some people who think he doesn't want to risk injury in games in case he decides to turn pro.

So UA might not have actually lost a thing by not getting him
Oh, I would much rather land either McCoy or Bowen than Diallo, no sarcasm.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I would much rather land either McCoy or Bowen than Diallo, no sarcasm.

I love Bowen, terrific mid range shooter and he's expanded his range. They were on tv not that long ago against Romeo Langford's team and Bowen was absolutely on fire from 3 in that game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When the Arizona Wildcats get Allonzo Trier back does it push them over the hedge to be a championship contender? — Haden (@HadenGoodwin)

First of all, let me say that you could make a strong case that Sean Miller is the leading candidate for national coach of the year. Arizona has had to deal with multiple injuries on top of Trier’s ineligibility. Miller’s rotation is basically down to just seven players, three of whom are freshmen, yet here they are, owning a 15–2 record and ranked No. 16 in this week’s AP poll.

As for Trier, if he does return, I believe that it will dramatically transform this team. I say that not only because the kid is an NBA talent—the 6' 5" sophomore was due to be Arizona’s leading returning scorer after averaging 14.8 ppg last year—but also because he has continued to practice and travel with the team while waiting for his eligibility issue to be resolved. From everything I’ve heard, Trier is much improved and matured over last season, and he is killing it in practice. Unlike an injury situation, where a player is usually idle, Trier should be able to step onto the court and compete with very little rust. It’s still unclear exactly when he will rejoin the team, but last week Miller went further than he usually does and told the Pac-12 Network that he expects Trier to play for Arizona at some point this season. When that happens, I expect the Wildcats to be able to contend for a Pac-12 title and a spot in the Final Four. They’re that good.
http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...izona-allonzo-trier?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a grain of salt as always but supposedly Trier will play tonight, no NCAA or UA statement will be given to explain why, he'll just play.

The guy who as far as I know originally started all the rumors on this was a Vegas handicapper who posted he's suspended for a year for PED use. Now a different handicapper in Vegas is reporting he'll play tonight.

Near as I can gather at some point Vegas froze the betting line on the game and then after it was reopened the point spread was higher and that's presumably why this guy thinks Trier will play.

Will be interesting to watch.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
With a grain of salt as always but supposedly Trier will play tonight, no NCAA or UA statement will be given to explain why, he'll just play.

The guy who as far as I know originally started all the rumors on this was a Vegas handicapper who posted he's suspended for a year for PED use. Now a different handicapper in Vegas is reporting he'll play tonight.

Near as I can gather at some point Vegas froze the betting line on the game and then after it was reopened the point spread was higher and that's presumably why this guy thinks Trier will play.

Will be interesting to watch.

I thought the initial line was high considering ASU has been in every conference game so far... Hmm.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the initial line was high considering ASU has been in every conference game so far... Hmm.

Yeah the site I looked at I think it was 17 points not sure. Obviously at McKale, UA the better team it should be high but I read the rumor then looked at that site to see the spread and thought might be on to something that does seem high.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
We're thiiis close. Right around the corner, just not tonight.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah clearly rumor was wrong. So this is game 18. Clearly the next round number is 20 which would mean he misses SC and UCLA and then plays against WSU but there's absolutely no logic in that.

At this point I quit trying, he'll play when he plays, we will probably not be told why and then he'll go pro and we'll wait for the book.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Disgusting letdown in the second half. Let ASU rain threes at will. Based on first 10 minutes, we should've won by 40. 16 at home against ASU is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Yeah clearly rumor was wrong. So this is game 18. Clearly the next round number is 20 which would mean he misses SC and UCLA and then plays against WSU but there's absolutely no logic in that.

At this point I quit trying, he'll play when he plays, we will probably not be told why and then he'll go pro and we'll wait for the book.

It has nothing to do with any amount of games. Its totally arbitrary based on things outside of anyone's control. It could be game 5, 19, or 25.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Disgusting letdown in the second half. Let ASU rain threes at will. Based on first 10 minutes, we should've won by 40. 16 at home against ASU is a joke.

Hard to blow a team out for 40 min. Ristic and Lauri were eating them alive which is nice to see.

Does USC have legit big men? They've fallen kinda hard since starting undefeated...

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hard to blow a team out for 40 min. Ristic and Lauri were eating them alive which is nice to see.

Does USC have legit big men? They've fallen kinda hard since starting undefeated...

Arizona has had issues closing out teams late. A&M is the poster example, but there are others including the last three games, this team cannot afford to get complacent/tired in the end against teams like Oregon and UCLA. I mean. When/if Trier plays, it might give us the closer we need in the end,

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with any amount of games. Its totally arbitrary based on things outside of anyone's control. It could be game 5, 19, or 25.

Yeah I am assuming there is some test issue that has to be resolved. It's why I keep going back to the idea that if you're claiming your meds caused a positive test, then you have to deal with what cycling and bodybuilding do often which is then require the athlete to prove that. By that I mean if asthma meds used normally can cause a positive test, and you get tested regularly, you should test positive again.

There was a famous cycling case where a guy got medical experts to insist that his body naturally produced something that made him test positive and he wasn't doping. He got suspended, got tested regularly for several months, and then had an appeal hearing. and at the hearing he presented all his medical test information expecting to be reinstated and essentially the drug board said "that's all very impressive and yet we've tested you X times since the original test and you haven't tested positive once, we don't believe you."

that's been my guess on Trier for awhile now, the NCAA told him if the meds caused this we'll take that under consideration, he's presumably being tested regularly because he tested positive once, and the NCAA is essentially waiting for proof that regular meds caused it. And like everyone else, if Trier was in fact doping, he stopped, and is no longer testing positive.

Just a guess though,. I hope he's back soon the games with UCLA and ARizona this year have a chance to be epic I want both teams at full strength.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Maybe Miller took some mercy upon Hurley... who knows. But the glaring fact is that the game was like watching an NBA team play a high school team. The difference is size, athleticism, basketball IQ and overall talent was stunning. I know ASU has a bunch of guys out due to injury, but... wow.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just Metu who's really good but that's it. The other big is a freshman and not good at all.

Arizona is huge.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Yeah I am assuming there is some test issue that has to be resolved. It's why I keep going back to the idea that if you're claiming your meds caused a positive test, then you have to deal with what cycling and bodybuilding do often which is then require the athlete to prove that. By that I mean if asthma meds used normally can cause a positive test, and you get tested regularly, you should test positive again.

There was a famous cycling case where a guy got medical experts to insist that his body naturally produced something that made him test positive and he wasn't doping. He got suspended, got tested regularly for several months, and then had an appeal hearing. and at the hearing he presented all his medical test information expecting to be reinstated and essentially the drug board said "that's all very impressive and yet we've tested you X times since the original test and you haven't tested positive once, we don't believe you."

that's been my guess on Trier for awhile now, the NCAA told him if the meds caused this we'll take that under consideration, he's presumably being tested regularly because he tested positive once, and the NCAA is essentially waiting for proof that regular meds caused it. And like everyone else, if Trier was in fact doping, he stopped, and is no longer testing positive.

Just a guess though,. I hope he's back soon the games with UCLA and ARizona this year have a chance to be epic I want both teams at full strength.

Or the NCAA is waiting for their test to hit a certain number before clearing him. What he took and why, is the Q/A that wont be leaked.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who don't know Ayton and Brandon Randolph are on tv right now on ESPN playing against each other. Randolph looks terrific.

If he's only a 4 star there are a ton of good guards in this class.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort