Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he's transferring after less than a semester, something isn't right. Miller isn't going to revisit Froling.

His loss. This is why you don't choose SMU over UofA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supposedly he is not happy with his role so far plus IIRC Larry Brown was key reason he picked SMU along with his sisters going there but since Brown resigned the new coach and his style may not be meshing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's transferring after less than a semester, something isn't right. Miller isn't going to revisit Froling.

His loss. This is why you don't choose SMU over UofA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he's apparently trying to turn pro overseas from what was posted on Scout.com's recruiting page.

He committed when Larry Brown was still the coach, probably should have asked out of NLI when that changed but didn't. Not playing much, doesn't want to be in school so considering turning pro.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
2 interesting rumors on BRO, one that UCLA is trying to get back into the McCoy recruitment out of concerns Anigbogu might blow up and turn pro. And then last night rumors that McCoy might be close to announcing for Arizona.

The Arizona thing came out of nowhere 1 day ago we were told Cal, Oregon, USC, UCLA and Michigan State were his top 5 but the Arizona rumor is from usually reliable people

One of the MSU insiders on Scout is predicting McCoy to AZ over MSU. I think a lot of people assumed Ayton would hurt their chances with him but sounds like the opposite. It's not Ristic would threaten his playing time. Arizona would be the heavy favorite with UCLA losing 4 starters.

Kinda nervous about this GCU game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the MSU insiders on Scout is predicting McCoy to AZ over MSU. I think a lot of people assumed Ayton would hurt their chances with him but sounds like the opposite. It's not Ristic would threaten his playing time. Arizona would be the heavy favorite with UCLA losing 4 starters.

GCU is pretty good but I don't think big enough to hang with UA.

McCoy is so hard to read, one minute he and Ayton are friends and want to play together, the next he's going to Cal because he wants to be the man. I don't know where the UCLA rumors came from I'd be pretty surprised if Anigbogu went pro and the people who reported the rumors even said they were skeptical of them they had seen no confirmation UCLA was trying to get McCoy again. But literally the next day after being told UA wasn't in the top 5 now, we were told Mccoy was leaning towards committing to UA so who knows.

The interesting thing to me is I keep reading that people think they work together because Ayton is the 5 and McCoy is the 4, except that half the time they say McCoy is the 5 and Ayton is the 4. Both kids think they're 4's so that's the whole question of them playing together. It worked in AAU but AAU ball is not structured. But they are friends and both are great players who could presumably play together in college.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I think they keep it close, but UofA pulls away in the 2nd half.

No one on that team can guard Marrk, Alkins, and even Ristic has an advantage here.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Trier or Miller or someone needs to address this mess publicly. If the team will be this frustrating all year then being kept in the dark will just make it more excruciating.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Tough loss to U of A

We have played some tough teams this year home to Louisville @ Duke @ U of A

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Trier or Miller or someone needs to address this mess publicly. If the team will be this frustrating all year then being kept in the dark will just make it more excruciating.

They definitely shouldnt. It will play out, but there is nothing the NCAA, UA, or Trier can do...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From what the papers are saying it's a privacy rule that prevents them from commenting so they probably can't say anything.

Ordinarily I'd say UA shouldn't let Trier practice until they know he can play so he's not taking time away from others, but with such a short roster having him practice is actually helping the other guys get better.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2274&start=1900

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think Russ may have alluded to this. The NCAA possibly holding him out for an official time period i.e. half the season or a semester so it's not just a random number?

Yeah they have set suspensions. PED's is one calendar year. For things like amateurism violations it's usually 9 games, or 6. And for other things it's one half season which is 13-14 games. 9 is supposed to be 1/3.

Second semester to me sounds different though, that sounds like academics and again that makes no sense. if they made public they suspended Comanche for academics, why wouldn't they be able to do so for Trier? It also doesn't make sense to me because he was suspended in the offseason.

It's absolutely fascinating to me at this point, the whole thing makes zero sense.

But whatever happens, Ace will be right.

:)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah they have set suspensions. PED's is one calendar year. For things like amateurism violations it's usually 9 games, or 6. And for other things it's one half season which is 13-14 games. 9 is supposed to be 1/3.

Second semester to me sounds different though, that sounds like academics and again that makes no sense. if they made public they suspended Comanche for academics, why wouldn't they be able to do so for Trier? It also doesn't make sense to me because he was suspended in the offseason.

It's absolutely fascinating to me at this point, the whole thing makes zero sense.

But whatever happens, Ace will be right.

:)

I don't think Ace was right. He said there would be a press conference that Monday which never happened and also said he would play against Gonzaga. Ace had a 50% chance of being correct and he probably made money for people visiting his site.

I do agree with you, it is not academics unless he was caught cheating.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ace is blaming the NCAA on his site and pretty much gone dark on twitter regarding anything about Trier. He was trolling UCLA fans by saying Allonzo was the better Zo then deleted it. Cringeworthy stuff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ace is blaming the NCAA on his site and pretty much gone dark on twitter regarding anything about Trier. He was trolling UCLA fans by saying Allonzo was the better Zo then deleted it. Cringeworthy stuff.

Yeah I was joking by saying no matter what Ace is right, that's how he sees things.

It's absolutely clear he doesn't know any more than anybody else.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Trier posted on Instagram something about don't worry things are looking up or something similar like that which seems to suggest he expects to be back.
Apparently 2nd semester is jan 11th which would mean his first game back is 1/12 against ASU, then the next week they'd be at USC and at UCLA so if true he'd miss the first 4 Pac 12 games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier is on the plane to Houston and the line is a PK.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Remember they cleared him to travel, Miller said he didn't make the last trip because they figured it was better to stay home with finals up soon. I'm assuming they're done with finals now so he's travelling again.

But that twitter post of his above sure sounds like he's not playing yet.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to A&M and was definitely expecting a much better effort early on. And, they have two legitimate studs in the paint. Thought that would give au, anyone really, a lot of trouble. They had a house-on-fire comeback to get within two points late, but the early crap play was too much for the Aggies to overcome.

Very disappointing, as Aggie basketball is really getting so much better the last three years. This was almost like the epic comeback against UNI in the NCAA tournament last year, but you can't dig such big holes against good teams and win them all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to A&M and was definitely expecting a much better effort early on. And, they have two legitimate studs in the paint. Thought that would give au, anyone really, a lot of trouble. They had a house-on-fire comeback to get within two points late, but the early crap play was too much for the Aggies to overcome.

Very disappointing, as Aggie basketball is really getting so much better the last three years. This was almost like the epic comeback against UNI in the NCAA tournament last year, but you can't dig such big holes against good teams and win them all.

TAMU is the 2nd best team UCLA has played this year behing UK IMO.

Their issue is outside shooting and guard play. That kid Williams the freshman big is a stud.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TAMU is the 2nd best team UCLA has played this year behing UK IMO.

Their issue is outside shooting and guard play. That kid Williams the freshman big is a stud.

Yeah, they really miss Caruso. He was the rock the last two years when a G play had to be made.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some good news, looks like PJC could be back for the conference opener against Cal. They were talking on the radio that they believe he could see some playing time by the Cal game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since UA was on the final 5 out of HS, lots of rumors Chase Jeter is fed up at Duke and is deciding to either transfer mid year or leave at the end of the year. I would assume UNLV will be on the list too since he's local, and some USC fans are insisting if he leaves he's going to USC.

Classic case of a kid who didn't listen to people, the more he was told don't go to Duke, the more he wanted to. He's actually been quite lucky, he wouldn't have played at all but last year Jefferson got hurt and missed a ton of games and this year Giles and Bolden were hurt.

They just played UNLV in Vegas so I'm sure that's where the rumors are coming from but he has to see the writing on the wall with Bolden back and Giles apparently coming back soon.

Ayton wouldn't concern him at all because he's a one and done so he'd practice against Ayton but never actually compete with him for PT.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Quick, someone go dig up the Kit Carson Rifle!