Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier himself says people just keep guessing knowing there's no repercussions for being wrong.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So how does Ace respond, by admitting he's wrong? nope, he replies to the tweet saying except for PGU, and is posting on PGU that Trier loves us he knows we're the only ones who know.

Meanwhile Scheer is essentially quoting Trier having told him I don't know when I'm coming back, and Ace is still insisting he knows.

Seems like you guys are rolling right now, with PJC back soon if you get Trier back around 1/11 seems like should be time to fit all the pieces together and have a very strong conference sesaon.

Oregon has it rolling now 9 in a row, UCLA and USC obviously unbeaten, seems like that's the top 4 in some order. Getting worried about Welsh's knee, he's missing tonights game too and they're saying they hope to have him back by Oregon.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Trier himself says people just keep guessing knowing there's no repercussions for being wrong.

So how does Ace respond, by admitting he's wrong? nope, he replies to the tweet saying except for PGU, and is posting on PGU that Trier loves us he knows we're the only ones who know.

Meanwhile Scheer is essentially quoting Trier having told him I don't know when I'm coming back, and Ace is still insisting he knows.

Seems like you guys are rolling right now, with PJC back soon if you get Trier back around 1/11 seems like should be time to fit all the pieces together and have a very strong conference sesaon.

Oregon has it rolling now 9 in a row, UCLA and USC obviously unbeaten, seems like that's the top 4 in some order. Getting worried about Welsh's knee, he's missing tonights game too and they're saying they hope to have him back by Oregon.

Barring more injuries UCLA is the closest F4 shoo-in since the Anthony Davis team. That would be a gut shot to Arizona fans since they could win it all in Phoenix.

I'm surprised how bad ASU is. Thought Hurley was a really good hire but he looks like a poor in-game coach compared to Herb. I liked it cause Hurley is more passionate and well known and they went with the opposite-of-Sendek approach. Bet he's regretting going to Tempe where it's impossibly to win consistently with the arena, fan support, history etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barring more injuries UCLA is the closest F4 shoo-in since the Anthony Davis team. That would be a gut shot to Arizona fans since they could win it all in Phoenix.

I'm surprised how bad ASU is. Thought Hurley was a really good hire but he looks like a poor in-game coach compared to Herb. I liked it cause Hurley is more passionate and well known and they went with the opposite-of-Sendek approach. Bet he's regretting going to Tempe where it's impossibly to win consistently with the arena, fan support, history etc.

I haven't seen ASU much this year but my impression is they're a very small team, they don't seem to really play anybody over 6'8" and that's really mainly 1 guy that big. UCLA is loaded at guard but even with us playing 4 guards we can only do it a few minutes here and there or the lack of size becomes a major issue, ASU is trying to do it most every game from what I've seen.

UA is sort of the opposite right now with the roster where it's an enormous team. PJC coming back will balance that out some and if Trier plays it gets back to normal. I am happy to see Alkins playing so well I really liked him in HS. Simmons shooting the ball this well is a major surprise to me too.

For the conference the big question is it's so common for freshmen to hit a wall, does that favor Oregon or are the freshmen at UCLA and Arizona so good it's not going to be a big issue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give some Hami Diallo on the wing.

That's a fascinating situation the NCAA declared him draft eligible for the next draft but then cleared him so he can enroll anywhere right now and play. Sounds like its' between UK, Arizona and UCONN. based on personnel you'd assume it's UA or UK. UK's a title contender right now, add an elite wing like him they probably become the favorite. UA either instead of Trier or in addition to Trier would be pretty insane.

I can't see him at UCONN they're in a situation where by the time he were eligible they'd almost be eliminated from the tournament unless they won their conference tourney.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That's a fascinating situation the NCAA declared him draft eligible for the next draft but then cleared him so he can enroll anywhere right now and play. Sounds like its' between UK, Arizona and UCONN. based on personnel you'd assume it's UA or UK. UK's a title contender right now, add an elite wing like him they probably become the favorite. UA either instead of Trier or in addition to Trier would be pretty insane.

I can't see him at UCONN they're in a situation where by the time he were eligible they'd almost be eliminated from the tournament unless they won their conference tourney.

Yeah in terms of showcasing his skills I think AZ is the right fit. UCONN is a pretty bad team and Malik Monk shoots everything. Between Diallo and Trier I'd take Diallo, Miller could use an exciting offensive player in the NBA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah in terms of showcasing his skills I think AZ is the right fit. UCONN is a pretty bad team and Malik Monk shoots everything. Between Diallo and Trier I'd take Diallo, Miller could use an exciting offensive player in the NBA.

From what i've seen and read Trier is MUCH better than Diallo, an experienced soph vs a raw incoming kid who was like the 7th leading scorer on the US national team. Diallo is a great athlete, but quite raw. Perfect guy to come off the bench and would help either UK or UA right away. From what I read this morning people think UCONN is the favorite because he's very tight with Ollie and another coach on the staff.

Will be interesting I imagine this is a loophole the NCAA will work to close pretty quickly, Auburn just got a C in the same way. You can't fault the kids for exploiting the system but it's clearly not in the spirit of college sports to allow kids in for about 3 months they'd basically take about 4 classes, all of them introduction to being a student athlete type courses, and then go pro if they're good enough. Makes one and dones look scholarly by comparison.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A little off topic but man is UK's class pretty stacked, with the recent addition of Vanderbilt and the fact that they are in on a hand full of remaining Top 15 prospects in the 2017 class is remarkable. I mean, they have to know that minutes will not be guaranteed because there is so much competition on the team with other highly ranked players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A little off topic but man is UK's class pretty stacked, with the recent addition of Vanderbilt and the fact that they are in on a hand full of remaining Top 15 prospects in the 2017 class is remarkable. I mean, they have to know that minutes will not be guaranteed because there is so much competition on the team with other highly ranked players.

Didn't realize they picked up Vanderbilt. They're currently #1 and the leader for Mo Bamba. Honestly Kentucky's current bigs look very raw and underwhelming. Adebayo is a monster physically but can't do anything away from the basket. Gabriel looks lost.

If AZ can land one of Bowen/McCoy they will finish #2 in the class rankings.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There's some noise about Diallo redshirting this year and playing next season. Miller probably knows it would scare off Bowen and Diallo could still declare for this draft and end up losing out on both. Probably best to move on.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things on Trier from discussing with a reporter.

I now get why he didn't just bolt UA for the D league or overseas. most overseas leagues have foreign player limits and with rosters already set, most teams can't just sign an American without releasing another foreign player, most of whom have contracts. So you're cutting a guy under contract to bring in a kid who hasn't played in months and is only staying a few months. Very rare.

Trier missed all the tryout dates for the D League, they're all in Sept/Oct when he was still hoping to win an appeal and get reinstated right away. So to get into the D league, he has to join the "waiver pool". That is an unpaid position though, you only get paid if you get signed by a D League team. the waiver pool essentially is under contract to the league itself, you get some benefits but apparently no real salary.

If you get signed by a team the salary is 19,500 a year. But he'd get that prorated so he'd have had to go into the pool impress enough to get signed, and then he'd get like 10-12 K the whole year. The waiver pool is only for players who have not been through an NBA draft, and a rule is waiver pool players can NOT play in the NBA that first year. So even if he gets signed by the Warriors D League team, he still can't then be called up so whatever salary he got, is all he's getting that year. He could be the best player in the whole league but still could not move up to the NBA this season.

So makes sense to me now why he's still at Arizona if it's true as being reported that he does not know yet if he's going to be reinstated. Financially he's not losing much if anything by staying at UA. He gets his scholarship money(I assume) he gets food and a place to live and he's in class. If he's reinstated he can play. If not, he still would go through the draft even if he were in the D league this year he'd have to go through the next draft.

He's even practicing so the only advantage to being in the D league is small salary and playing in games.

Still such a bizarre case I can't believe by now he doesn't know if he'll be reinstated or not but he's apparently telling people just that.

Edit, obviously if he did leave, he could sign with an agent and get money from the agent but apparently his stock is not so high that he's guaranteed to get that much money loaned by an agent. A kid like Ayton could, but Trier while very good is not so good that an agent is certain he's going to get his money back via him getting drafted and signing a big contract.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is a big week for Trier and his eligibility. He could be back tomorrow or Saturday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a big week for Trier and his eligibility. He could be back tomorrow or Saturday.

If you go by the half season it's saturday. Tonight is game 16 so that's half of 32 so he'd be reinstated for 17 which is Sat.

It's being reported that he's told several people he has NOT been told by the NCAA if he'll be reinstated or not, not when but if, but then he may simply not be allowed to say anything. I'm at the point where I expect him to play Saturday. Doesn't make sense the NCAA would let him practice and be at games if they're not going to eventually let him play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to move on and stop worrying about it at this point.

If you read teh Daily Star story, Pascoe says they've filed multiple reqeusts for info and it's always rejected under Privacy and FERPA.

Someone on a UCLA site said he was told by someone at Arizona that the story there is a doctor gave Trier steroids to treat a sinus infection. I have a hard time buying that because he'd have proof, a prescription that he could show the NCAA. I had chronic sinus infections for years, after sinus surgery the doctor put me on prednisone which is a steroid, I don't know if it's on a PED list or not, I hope not that stuff is terrible for you, can't see any way it would enhance performance.

I still think the logical story is tested postive for PED's, claims it's related to some medical condition he takes meds for, because of that it falls under privacy rules and that's it.

I'd be absolutely furious if the NCAA made a kid miss 17 games and counting because some doctor put him on prednisone or something like that for sinusitis, that would be utterly insane. I just doubt it's that simple.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what Miller said about Trier after last night's game, he will be playing this year. Classes start on Wednesday, maybe he will play Thursday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xavier Johnson once again

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what Miller said about Trier after last night's game, he will be playing this year. Classes start on Wednesday, maybe he will play Thursday.

Possibly but doesn't really make much sense it's been pretty clear it's not an academic suspension so 2nd semester etc doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Half season makes sense, the NCAA likes round numbers so the next one would be 20 games maybe I don't know at this point.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

I'm about 95% sure I know why he's suspended as the whole 2nd half of the season or 2nd semester theory is officially out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

This is not an academic issue.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not an academic issue.

I never said that it was and I know it's not an academic issue. I was just thinking the NCAA might let him play once the spring semester started. Maybe they are using an even number for games suspended, like 20.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I never said that it was and I know it's not an academic issue. I was just thinking the NCAA might let him play once the spring semester started. Maybe they are using an even number for games suspended, like 20.
If there was a predetermined time, we'd know by now, but there isn't, even with the "even number of games" hypothesis. The situation is fluid and Trier will be reinstated when he's met the NCAA's requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk