Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Figure we can have a thread dedicated to the games this season and ongoings for this roster. The Miller Does it Again thread is a bit off of its original topic.

31 point favorites over Northern Colorado tonight.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kobi and Rawle just too raw offensively at this point. They'll be fine but we'll need Zo back vs better teams. Ristic should be dominating these games.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Sloppy play to start the game, but Zona figured it out. PJC is starting to come around. If anything, he's playing with more confidence than the last 2 seasons.

I don't like to see teams that don't have anyone taller than 6'8" out-rebound us. Unacceptable given our size in the front court. Rustic needs to be more assertive.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ristic sucks

He's weird there are games where he is completely unstoppable, scores everytime he gets the ball. The problem is he's also pretty much a black hole, not Tony Parker at UCLA level black hole but generally speaking when the ball goes in to him he's going to shoot unless they triple him and make him pass. So when he's NOT making shots he's very detrimental to an offense and he's of course not a good defender.

He's off to a slow start you have to assume he'll play better. Simmons and Alkins are actually shooting better from 3 than I expected, I'm skeptical it will hold up as the games get tougher but if it does they're going to be awfully good since both of them are good at getting to the line. The scary thing is UA is averaging 16 more FTA's a game then their opponents so far and you don't even have Trier back who was 2nd only to Anderson in FTA's last year and figured to lead the team in it this year. If Trier is indeed coming back Arizona is going to be very tough to defend as long as the refs call games this way.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
PJC likely out 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain. Back to 7 scholarship players.

This is an absolute joke, right now

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
All this crap has to happen the year Glendale hosts the F4. At this point I've accepted the thought of UCLA running away with the Pac but a top-3 finish and S16 appearance looks pretty good right now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this crap has to happen the year Glendale hosts the F4. At this point I've accepted the thought of UCLA running away with the Pac but a top-3 finish and S16 appearance looks pretty good right now.

It was weird when he went down I immediately though that's a bad injury, but they were acting like it was no big deal so I assumed I was wrong. Then I switched over to other stuff and when I came back to the UCLA game they were talking about PJC's injury.

On UCLA, remember UCLA has 7 guys right now too, the 8th is JC Ike who is effectively a good walkon. Goloman is on crutches with his foot in a boot although nobody seems to think it's a long term thing but that's precisely how his foot injury started last season and then he missed a bunch of games.

Ike is back but not in shape yet and Ali is a few weeks away so should be at 8 or 9 by then but right now UCLA is just as thin as UA. The prospect of playing JC Ike as the 8th man against UK on Saturday is a bit alarming.

The scary thing on PJC is if you know his history he's had a LOT of ankle problems as a kid, one of the reasons his ranking fell in HS is all the ankle injuries

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Ace is completely oblivious. Literally, every step of the way with the Trier situation, including the beginning of the season, he's been proven wrong. Now he has the audacity to keep denigrating others while cleaning the egg off of his face? Dude is a narcissist in every form and I hope, albeit unlikely due to his cult-like followers, that this situation cripples his site as he's a giant embarrassment to not only the university, but to journalism.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ace is completely oblivious. Literally, every step of the way with the Trier situation, including the beginning of the season, he's been proven wrong. Now he has the audacity to keep denigrating others while cleaning the egg off of his face? Dude is a narcissist in every form and I hope, albeit unlikely due to his cult-like followers, that this situation cripples his site as he's a giant embarrassment to not only the university, but to journalism.

He's on record as saying if Trier doesn't come back he will delete PGU.

Of course if he didn't coem back he wouldn't delete it he'd say the NCAA changed their minds blah blah. He's just guessing.

The reason this rumor started is Trier went from street clothes to sweats on the bench and that suddenly made it appear he was more engaged so he must be coming back. I remember seeing on PGU people discussing how long would it take for him to get in shape once he started practicing. Then it came out, not on PGU, that he has apparently been practicing all along. And during this entire discussion of how long it would take him, not one person who had this inside knowledge from the pay part of PGU bothered to say well he's practicing already. Which of course means they didn't know, and that's because Ace didn't know.

I think his prediction is vague enough that unless Trier never plays again for UA he can claim hes' right.

If you read that thread he posts a link to an explanation of the NCAA appeals process, and said explanation completely contradicts what he says is going on. It has a timeline and the last 2 things on the timeline are NCAA notifies school and individual their final ruling on appeal, then public announcement. He's been saying for nearly 2 weeks now that they've cleared Trier, so where is the public announcement? he's claiming they can't do it because the appeals process is anonymous, they get a case with no name and they rule on the case so if they made an announcement about Trier, then it would bias the case. But that's completely stupid he's claiming they already exonerated him.

It's not even clear to me the appeals process even applies if it's a PED thing, that appears to be a completely separate process. When his suspension rumor first came out the first thing I heard was he was suspended for taking gifts from Kevin Durant. I've mentioned that before he met Durant during KD's rookie year in Seattle, Trier was a youtube sensation there and they became friends. Trier even appears in a commercial with Durant and assured the NCAA he wasn't paid for it. Trier has openly talked about his extensive collection of shoes and "gear" and has admitted much of it comes from Durant. The reason he moved to OKC and played HS ball there(home schooled league) was because the Sonics moved to OKC and he moved to follow Durant. So that rumor made total sense, NCAA just decided the entire basis of their friendship was basketball, Trier had presumably crossed a line on how much he took, and was suspended. It seemed logical he was planning on going pro, took more gifts from Durant, then changed his mind to stay and was now suspended over said gifts.

But then the PED rumor came out and was so consistent that I assumed the money rumor was false. Now 97Cats is claiming it's academics which we already know UA makes public since they did with Comanche. So why isn't his suspension public if it's academics? And why is he allowed to practice, PED, Academics, money all 3 of them you're not supposed to practice, even when under appeal from what I understand.

This is a really weird one, I guess eventually the truth will be known.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
My friend is at hard rock and wanted to bet on Zona and they took the line down, presumably because of uncertainty around if Trier will be reinstated for the game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend is at hard rock and wanted to bet on Zona and they took the line down, presumably because of uncertainty around if Trier will be reinstated for the game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah it was reported he was with the team on the trip but not yet cleared so not surprised there's no line now

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ristic sucks.

Nice to see Markennan is real deal.

Ristic isn't a pro caliber player in any country. Not even Guatemala.

I was hoping Comanche would put it together with Dusan struggling but neither guy is giving us anything down there. Markannen had an off night so give credit to Gonzaga.

The game has slowed down for Rawle and he's looking more comfortable while Kobi looks like a 3-year player... Hard to believe Kadeem was a JC superstar. Says a lot about the difference in level of play.

Maybe we can get Zo back by conference play and compete with UCLA for a half??

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ace is still insisting Trier was cleared 2 weeks ago and the NCAA is just dragging their feet on reinstating him. That board is now officially hilarious with everyone assuming Ace is telling the truth and then going off from there. Sue the NCAA, Trier should sue them he's losing money on this(he is?). This isn't fair if he can travel he should play, none of us know for sure what the suspension even is how do we know what the rule is?

My guess now is the NCAA has ruled on him and my guess is his first game will be 12/10 against Missouri. That means he misses one more game which makes 9, and then gets reinstated for the rest of the year. If he doesn't play against Missouri then it gets dicey I'd then say he misses half the season because the NCAA seems to normally do this in set amounts of games, 9 is considered 1/3 so 14 would be roughly half.

I think he's practicing and was allowed to travel because they've already ruled and they know he WILL be allowed back, just not yet.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Miller said PJC will be out closer to 8 weeks which cuts deep into conference play...

Hopefully Trier is back by the GCU game. That would be an embarrassing loss even though they played Louisville tough. If Miller goes anywhere I wouldn't mind Majerle stepping in. He could be a hot commodity down the road.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Miller said PJC will be out closer to 8 weeks which cuts deep into conference play...

Hopefully Trier is back by the GCU game. That would be an embarrassing loss even though they played Louisville tough. If Miller goes anywhere I wouldn't mind Majerle stepping in. He could be a hot commodity down the road.

Majerle is 51 and by the time he would've taken GCU anywhere, he will be in his mid to late 50s. He would have to prove to be one of the top dog coaches in his division to be considered for a job like Arizona. Russell Turner at UC Irvine is ready for the next level and almost got the Cal job when it was available. As it stands, the only job that scares me w/r/t Miller leaving is UNC.

We should beat GCU when it comes to Tucson, though.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Majerle is 51 and by the time he would've taken GCU anywhere, he will be in his mid to late 50s. He would have to prove to be one of the top dog coaches in his division to be considered for a job like Arizona. Russell Turner at UC Irvine is ready for the next level and almost got the Cal job when it was available. As it stands, the only job that scares me w/r/t Miller leaving is UNC.

We should beat GCU when it comes to Tucson, though.

Back during the Maryland fiasco (still not even sure if he was legitimately considering it) but think 97cats said there's only a few jobs he'd consider and one of them could be Ohio St. Matta had a pretty good run there but it seems like their bball program has gone stale. I can't imagine he'd leave for anything less than a blue blood powerhouse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 interesting rumors on BRO, one that UCLA is trying to get back into the McCoy recruitment out of concerns Anigbogu might blow up and turn pro. And then last night rumors that McCoy might be close to announcing for Arizona.

The Arizona thing came out of nowhere 1 day ago we were told Cal, Oregon, USC, UCLA and Michigan State were his top 5 but the Arizona rumor is from usually reliable people

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't remember a worse team with a top-3 projected pick than Washington. Romar is probably safe because of their incoming class but damn.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember a worse team with a top-3 projected pick than Washington. Romar is probably safe because of their incoming class but damn.

CBS guy Aaron Torres did a story yesterday essentially saying how does Romar have a job. Possible first overall pick and they almost have to win the Pac 12 tourney to get a bid now because of their OOC losses.

Next year he has Porter coming in so Torres said they should fire Romar and make Porter's dad the interim coach. that way you keep the recruiting class and get rid of Romar. Of course they won't do that since Romar is Porter's godfather but I strongly suspect next year we'll be having a similar conversation how can Porter be that good and the team be this poor.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Off topic for this thread but Harry Froling whom UA was in on until he picked SMU is now transferring from the school.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Off topic for this thread but Harry Froling whom UA was in on until he picked SMU is now transferring from the school.
If he's transferring after less than a semester, something isn't right. Miller isn't going to revisit Froling.

His loss. This is why you don't choose SMU over UofA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose