Anyone going to or been to Pearl Jam?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I am sorry but Pearl Jam sold out.

I view them talking politics at their concerts the same way I view theater chains showing commercials before a movie. I purchased a ticket to see the main attraction, not be a captive audience to someone else's person agenda.

BTW, I have seen Pearl Jam in concert 4 times

This is interesting. I agree with you that live albums and greatest hits records are simply ways for bands to live up to contracts with their labels, and the new trend in recording is to put out old music with a couple "previously unrelaesed" tracks in an attempt to juice sales, AND that the practice is deplorable (breathe....heh) but....

But to say that you dont want to hear the political rantings of a band who's been ranting politically since DAY 1, is kind of absurd. Anyone who goes to a Pearl Jam show and expects to not be ranted at, obviously hasnt listened to the intense social commentary that Eddie Vedder (and I think he's a whining bitch, byt the way) has been putting in his songs for a dozen or so years now. Its like going to church and getting pissed the cause the minister talked about God all day. Thats a big DUH in my book.

Secondly, to say you go to a show just to listen to the music.... I dont get it. His lyrics are part of the music. His banter between songs is part of the show, and overall they make up a performance given for an exhorbitantly high price to suckers who think it's (even 40 bucks is a total joke) is a good price for a show.

You all need to explore music some more. I see fantastic bands weekly for 6 bucks a head, and that usually a four act show. The music is out there. Look it up.

Stadium Rock sucks.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
...also, if you think they made a live album for the fans you are just sadly mistaken. I don't know how they do it in your country, but here in America is all about $$$. They don't give a rats ass about the fans, if they did, they would have offered the album for free, or atleast for free download. Brian posted a link for lawn tickets at $110.00

I have seen countless bands for under $30.00 with great seats, yeah, these guys really care about the fans :rolleyes:

Actually, Ryan, bands make a pittance off their album sales. Ill agree with you that bands do it as an easy way to meet the demands of their contracts, and to keep their names in the forefront, but I can't see it as being about making money.

Bands make their money off of merchandising, and live performances, not album sales. I suppose one could argue that bands like PJ and Madonna and Metallica make a ton of money form album sales, but thats simply a supply a demand thing, and bands like that are in the minority (why else was the overwhelming majority of musicians NOT on Madonna and Metallica's side with regard to internet music sharing???) Per capita, bands make about 15 cents per song, per record sold. so, for every record sold that has 12 songs, the band generally gets paid a buck 80 and thats AFTER the label re-coups all its expenses, generally in the millions of dollars for bands of that level. And dont forget that of the 15.99 you pay the label itself only gets about 5.99 of that, as there are mark ups to disturbutors and finally to retailers, before the CD ever hits the shelf, Add in cost per units of around 2 bucks per, and the MOST money is being made by the sellers of the product, the label and the distibutor, NOT the artist and rarely the retailer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. You're lumping Pearl Jam with Britney Spears. Sellouts? Give me a freaking break.

They are the only grunge band remaining--but because they are popular, they are given a bad rep. Why? And are they really all that popular? One guy posts a thread about it and BIM and Ryan gang up with their hatred (that's what it is) instead of just saying, "I don't like them, but have fun." Instead, Brian turns it into a pissing contest that he is fully intent on winning. Who is spouting the most rhetoric: Eddie Vedder or the people against him?

I'm going to see them on June 6th in Vegas. Do I want to hear his political rhetoric? No, of course not, but I will gladly sit through it to see the rest of their show live. They are an amazing live band.

What about U2? By definition, aren't they "sell-outs"? Oh wait, if you actually LIKE a band, they can't be a sell-out, right?

Give me a break. Grow up. Don't support the politics, but in the end it's all about the music.

ehale911

Veteran
Reaction score
I have never been a big fan of Pearl Jam, but Riot Act is probably the worst album ever, right along side Soft Parade by the Doors. On top of that, Bushleaguer is the worst song ever. It managed to overtake Soft Parade, which is a pretty big accomplishment.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
You all need to explore music some more. I see fantastic bands weekly for 6 bucks a head, and that usually a four act show. The music is out there. Look it up.

Stadium Rock sucks.

Excellent post. :thumbup:

I've seen everyone fom Eddie Rabbit to Neil Diamond to Springsteen to Ozzy and Anthrax in concert, but have had more fun at mostly local shows in smaller venues. That's where you find acts that really care about the fans and musicians that can actually use some of your hard-earned dough.

BTW, Chap - I did tell Billythekid this: Not everyone is going to like everything done by Pearl Jam - live with it. I tried to put an end to all the back-and-forth squabbling on an issue which he doesn't see eye to eye with Ryan and I.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually Chap, arguably the inventors of Grunge ane what I believe to be the greatest grunge band EVER is still out and playing and putting out records, and doing it for 10 bucks a show.

That band?

MUDHONEY. THAT'S GRUNGE. To me, Pearl Jam happened to come from a town associated with that mucisal monniker that was misused by labels and the media alike as a means to hype the next big thing. Im not saying anything about Pearl Jam here per se, but if you want true grunge, the sound before the major labels hyped it, listen to Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, EARLY Soundgarden, Possibly Screaming Trees and MArk Lanegan, and even bands that spwaned from an amagamation of all these bands like MOnkeywrench and the sorts.

The common held belief that bands like Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains, and STP were grunge bands was pretty much a misnomer. As soon as your production value hit major label status, you almost by definition ceased to be grunge.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd

The common held belief that bands like Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains, and STP were grunge bands was pretty much a misnomer. As soon as your production value hit major label status, you almost by definition ceased to be grunge.

Apples and oranges, Dave. If you want to talk semantics, fine, you're right. Of course MotherLoveBone and early Soundgarden are precursers to Pearl Jam anyway...

But you are right about Mudhoney, but they don't have even half the kind of exposure Pearl Jam has.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Apples and oranges, Dave. If you want to talk semantics, fine, you're right. Of course MotherLoveBone and early Soundgarden are precursers to Pearl Jam anyway...

But you are right about Mudhoney, but they don't have even half the kind of exposure Pearl Jam has.

Its not apples and oranges or semantics. Its crummy buck hounding record labels trying to jump on the next hot trend so they can milk it dry and then discard it. Grunge was an interesting, non conformist, no linear musical style that got co-opted by major labels who in turn signed every band from the region they could and lumped them into the catagory to boost sales. Pearl Jam was probably the last band of the era that one could even legitimately call grunge, and that was by time period alone, certainly not by musical style. As for the rest, boring ass hard rock in my opinion.

As far as Mushoney not having half the exposure Pearl Jam has???

I say THANK GOD.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
:rolleyes:

Not pretentious, are you Dave? :D

Seriously? Whats pretentious about not wanting to see a band from a 1/4 mile away in a cavernous horribe acoutically set up area for anywhere from 40-125 dollars with 15 to 20 thousand other idiots when I can see the same band in a warm sounding 500 person venue from about 15 feet away for 10 bucks and have a drink while IM at it? (like the times I saw Nirvana in the good ole days)

No pretense in there at all.

Have I ever mentioned that I detest emotions? Heh.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
pearl jam grunge!?!?!

ha ha ha... they are and always have been straight ahead guitar rock with drama queen vocals crying about this and that. Props to them for making it big. I like how the flag hugging wight ringers get up in arms about Vedder's shallow lefty politics. All sound and fury, signifying nothing as Bill Shakespeare said.
Low priced shows? I saw Fugazi last year for SIX BUX! That's keeping it real! PJ cultivate a populist image, but are as greedy as any other sellout f***s.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re: Dillinger 4!

Originally posted by andikrist
yeah!

The Datsuns
The D4
The Paybacks
The 45's
The Mooney Suzuki
Bad Wizard
Supersuckers

SO MUCH GREAT rock and roll that doesnt cost a gajillion dollars to see....

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re: pearl jam grunge!?!?!

I saw Fugazi last year for SIX BUX!

You know whats great? (And I'm not a big fan of Fugazi) is I saw their show in 1990 for....... 6 bucks. I love it when a band can make a comfortable living, enjoying what thay do, and never once worry about being stars....

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
fugazi

... the reason they pull this off is that they're self managed, and don't have an entourage. They are self produced, so no A&R creeps. Humble lifestyles. Wiser than most - kept it small but potent, no corporate poison.
Yeah schutd - we have similar taste in music - cool

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Fugazi definitely rocks, Ian MacKaye and others have been running Dischord, their label that sells direct to fans for low costs ever since back in the Minor Threat days. I wrote them an email back when I first moved to DC asking when they were playing localy next and Guy Picciotto wrote back to me himself. They're pretty down to earth, which is cool.

I personally don't think I can ever justify paying more than $25 to go to a concert, and that I guess is why I haven't been to a big venue to see anyone since, well I guess the last big show I saw was the original Tibetan Freedom concert in San Fran.

I always liked the small shows anyway, I think I would have to draw the line at anything over the size of Mesa Ampitheatre. Which just happens to be one of my favorite places to see a show. Small venues are the best, I saw Frank Black play twice at Club Congress in Tucson, and although that place is laid out like absolute crap, the intimacy of a show there rocks.

Oh also, Mudhoney kicks ass. Let it Slide is an great song.

OP
OP
Billythekid

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
MotherLoveBone was the creation of Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament and Andy Wood who died. Jeff and Stone are in Pearl Jam. I'm not saying Pearl Jam are the creators. They DID come out of that scene when it was big. They give props all the time to guys like Fugazi and have big connections with Chris Cornell. and half of Mudhoney were with PEarl Jam members to form Green River. so despite what you think Pearl Jam was very much into the uprising in Seattle. Just so happens when EV handed a demo track to Stone and Jeff they took notice and so did everybody else...everywhere.

When your a success it's considered a sellout in some people's eye. Thats a pathetic bitter attitude without knowing much about them and their strong believes as far as anti commericalism and exposure goes.

PS and Brian. that ticket page must have been VERY late listings or scalpers. I've talked to numerous Pearl Jam people in the states and none have payed that much.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: mothelovebone

... had a couple good songs all cuz of the dead junkie singer - those gutarists are mediocre

Whew! Man, thanks for clarifying that... I've been waiting for clarification from you on that...

OP
OP
Billythekid

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Anyone attend Pearl Jam in Phoenix?

Ryan or Brian? :wave:

Chap, you make it to Vegas? A friend of mine caught Ed's tambourine at the end of the Vegas show :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I caught it in Vegas.

Worst concert I've EVER been to. Worst waste of 40 bucks I've ever had.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen