An Idea

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think most of us are in pain over the continuation situation with our team. As long term fans who pay to get into the stadium or pay big fees to access Direct TV to watch the Cardinals we are not being treated fairly in my opinion.

We can all compain to each other and the best that gets us is to vent and maybe feel a little better for a few minutes.

Is there anything, not matter how small, that might make a "real difference"?
I will offer up this: Let us appoint a point man in Airizona perhaps someone like Jim Skane and each of us who are willing contribute $50.00 or whatever we can afford or what ever it takes to raise enough money to take out a sizeable add in the local paper. I propose it be an open letter to the Airizona Cardinal organization or to Bill Bidwill Jr whatever seems appropriate. We would express our concerns in a genteleman like mannner but in a firm matter about our thoughts on improving the organization and what we perceive as a lack of real effort to put a competitive team in Airizona. It could be signed by all the contributors or anyone that wanted to join in regardless of contribution. We might total up years of all the people have been fans. We could easily come up with 1000 years and we would have signatures from many parts of the country. Maybe one of you guys in the Valley could check on the price of a 1/4 page or 1/8 page add. The letter would have to be reasonably short and well thought out. I think such an ad could produce somewhat of a groundswell in the area and certainly get the attention of the Cardinals and probably force them to reply. Surely the sports editors would pick up on it and give us some copy. I will offer up $100 right now as a first contribution. Jim would you be willing to take this on? I really feel strong that we as fans are being short chained. OK let me hear your feedback? Crazy Card fan in Arkansas.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Actually, the letters already been written, just re-write the post "The End" by Tired Cardinal.

I too would pony up the money. Seriously.

Anyone volunteer to take point?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea, but have you ever been in a copywriting meeting? It's hard enough to write something with 3 people's input much less hundreds.

How do you propose developing the content of the letter?
Maybe on this board we could decide the three main points we want to convey and then appoint a committe that will develop and draft the letter from those points. Sort of a Republic of Cardinals Fans.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pitch in some bucks.

Walter is one that always seems to write compelling posts.

I say we have people post topics. We then put up a poll of top five. Vote on the top three.

Then, have someone compose it and post it for everyones review. Then send it in.

I think this is a great idea. If anything they will see a bunch of fans who are passionate for a winner.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then, have someone compose it and post it for everyones review.

It's the "everyone's" review part that will bog us down beyond belief. I think we need a small group representing everyone.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then what we do is nominate and then take a poll vote. This is the USA......

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I like the idea, but have you ever been in a copywriting meeting? It's hard enough to write something with 3 people's input much less hundreds.

How do you propose developing the content of the letter?
Maybe on this board we could decide the three main points we want to convey and then appoint a committe that will develop and draft the letter from those points. Sort of a Republic of Cardinals Fans.

I think Jeff is in advertising and I would propose he make a first draft if he is willing and post it. If he is not willing I would be willing to give it a go. I suggest sending the letter to Jim Skane and let him pass final muster and approve it. I would trust both of these guys. Let this thread run for about two weeks and let us see how much people are willing to throw in. Total it up and see what that will buy us. I think even a small add on the Sports Page is going to draw some attention from sports writers and could even get a little national attention like the Bengal fans who were going to sue the Bengals. I will stand by my $100 contibution. At the end of two weeks if we have at least $1000 I think we could get a one day (perhaps Sunday or Saturday) ad in the sportsection of the Republic. Let us see how this thread goes and we can get more definitive. Let me hear from Jeff and Jim if you are willing to join in. I certainly due not want a rude letter but one that clearly and succintly expresses our concern for the future.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
So you don't have balls enough to carry your own water?
You communicated your point here, write your own letter.

If you don't like what's going on in the Cards HQ, then let them know about it, if you'd like. Or don't buy a ticket or don't get DirecTv or just go and hide.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Just a thought,

Do you all think it would be prudent to wait and see what transpires with Colvin, Stewart, Chike, Holliday, Jackson, etc. before this goes into motion, or was the Plummer and Boston (especially Boston) fiasco what instigated this?

I was just thinking, if all the planets aligned and the football gods smiled on us and we got several of these guys signed than our complaints and money would fall on deaf ears.

Just a thought.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derm
So you don't have balls enough to carry your own water?
You communicated your point here, write your own letter.

If you don't like what's going on in the Cards HQ, then let them know about it, if you'd like. Or don't buy a ticket or don't get DirecTv or just go and hide.
:rolleyes:

I think it's a good idea--and carries more weight with more people behind it.

I'm an out of work PR hack so I have plenty of time and some writing skills if Jeff doesn't have the time or the inclination.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
By the way Derm,

Complaining about 50+ years of ineptitude isn't whining, it's a legit complaint.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by HarleyRider
Just a thought,

Do you all think it would be prudent to wait and see what transpires with Colvin, Stewart, Chike, Holliday, Jackson, etc. before this goes into motion, or was the Plummer and Boston (especially Boston) fiasco what instigated this?

I was just thinking, if all the planets aligned and the football gods smiled on us and we got several of these guys signed than our complaints and money would fall on deaf ears.

Just a thought.

Good point. I'm out until training camp...

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
If it's publicity with a message that you want, save your money. For free you can deliver your message via TV and radio. Just get a set of drums, and then stay slightly off in the distance at the stadium ground breaking ceremony and chant the following into a megaphone to the beat of the drums.

WE WANT FOOTBALL, NOT BIDWILL!

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me hear from Jeff and Jim if you are willing to join in
I'm willing to pitch in, but my gut tells me we shouldn't do it. Stay with me while I try to figure it out in print. Here goes:

I assume the objective of this exercise is to get Cardinal management to listen to our concerns, take them seriously and act upon them appropriately.

If we publish a letter in the AZR, the fact we did it will become the issue and not the reasons why we did it. The only message they'll hear is that "a lot of Cardinal fans are angry." There's a strong likelihood Cardinal Mgt. will just get pissed and defensive and tune out our message altogether.

1. Let's see how the next week (or two goes). It wouldn't surprise me if the Cards announced something "good" by the end of today. Well before day's end, serious formal offers have now been made to Kordell and Colvin and there have been Graves' (intentional or unintentional) slips of the tongue (i.e. "things will begin to happen", "we'll get this thing moving") that, if nothing else, suggest something may be in the wind.

2. What would be the impact of a full page ad on prospective free agents weighing whether the "football environment" in the Valley is condusive to building a winner?

3. What can we say in an ad that Cardinal Management doesn't already know?

4. Trying to get the regulars on this BB to agree on everything to go in letter will be like "trying to herd cats."

Here's an alternative proposal:

A. We air our dirty linen in private.

B. We use Jim O as our communication channel.

C. We draft a letter and collect signatures.

D. We send it to Graves, Mikey and Mr. B.

E. We either release to the press or hold out the option of releasing to the media later - the fact that X-hundred Cardinal fans sent a formal letter of protest to Cardinal Management.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Jeff's alternate proposal in all honesty. Maybe if we did that Jim could even get a rep from the organization on the board here to answer some of our questions with some candor.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Let me hear from Jeff and Jim if you are willing to join in
I'm willing to pitch in, but my gut tells me we shouldn't do it. Stay with me while I try to figure it out in print. Here goes:

I assume the objective of this exercise is to get Cardinal management to listen to our concerns, take them seriously and act upon them appropriately.

If we publish a letter in the AZR, the fact we did it will become the issue and not the reasons why we did it. The only message they'll hear is that "a lot of Cardinal fans are angry." There's a strong likelihood Cardinal Mgt. will just get pissed and defensive and tune out our message altogether.

1. Let's see how the next week (or two goes). It wouldn't surprise me if the Cards announced something "good" by the end of today. Well before day's end, serious formal offers have now been made to Kordell and Colvin and there have been Graves' (intentional or unintentional) slips of the tongue (i.e. "things will begin to happen", "we'll get this thing moving") that, if nothing else, suggest something may be in the wind.

2. What would be the impact of a full page ad on prospective free agents weighing whether the "football environment" in the Valley is condusive to building a winner?

3. What can we say in an ad that Cardinal Management doesn't already know?

4. Trying to get the regulars on this BB to agree on everything to go in letter will be like "trying to herd cats."

Here's an alternative proposal:

A. We air our dirty linen in private.

B. We use Jim O as our communication channel.

C. We draft a letter and collect signatures.

D. We send it to Graves, Mikey and Mr. B.

E. We either release to the press or hold out the option of releasing to the media later - the fact that X-hundred Cardinal fans sent a formal letter of protest to Cardinal Management.

Jeff.........that is a reasonable and, in my opinion, prudent course of action. We need to move in a manner which will have the Cards management be receptive to us, be open minded, and not defensive. Taking out an ad in the Repulsive, I think, would have the opposite effect. I think Jeff's suggestion has merit. I would add that we should actually wait until the first week of April. That would be enough time for RG to work on some items. It would also be enough time before the draft and June 1.

I would also kick in $$ for this. Easiest way to do it would probably be through paypal.

Last edited:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I agree with Jeff. However, if Jim O becomes our proxy, I hope mgmt doesn't shoot the messenger.

Loudspeaker @ HQ: Jim O, Mr B and Michael B want you to go to the owner's office, immediately

Mr B: Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim. Your father has been with the family for 4 decades. We respect him and he is secure in his role here.

Jim O: What are you getting at?

Michael: I know it was you, Fredo err Jim O. You broke my heart. You broke my heart.

Jim O: Do you mean the letter I forwarded from some concerned fans?

Bill Jr: I'm your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over!

Michael ignores Billy's plea

Jim O: I can handle things, I'm smart, not like everybody says. Not dumb, I'm smart, and I want respect!

Jim O continues: Oh, oh, Michael; Michael, you are blind. It wasn't a miscarriage, it was an abortion. An abortion, Michael. Just like our marriage errr team is an abortion -- something that's unholy and evil. I didn't want your son, Bill Sr.. I wouldn't bring another one of your sons in this world. It was an abortion, Michael. It was a son; a son, and I had it killed cuz this must all end. I know now tha it's over; I knew it then. There would be no way, Michael. No way you could forgive me. Not with this Sicilian errr Cardinal thing thats been going on for 2000 years.

Michael: Fredo errrr Jim O, you're nothing to me now you're not a brother, you're not a friend, I don't want to know you or what you do -- I don't want to see you at the hotels -- I don't want you near my house -- when you see our mother eerrr team I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there -- you understand.

Jim O walks out to the parking lot

Jim O: Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners...

As Fredo errrr Jim O speaks we can still hear the Archbishop continuing in Latin errrr Bidwill on the phone with Graves. The gunshot fires and Michael, watching from the boathouse errr owner's office, bows his head.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
I agree with Jeff. However, if Jim O becomes our proxy, I hope mgmt doesn't shoot the messenger.

Loudspeaker @ HQ: Jim O, Mr B and Michael B want you to go to the owner's office, immediately

Mr B: Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim. Your father has been with the family for 4 decades. We respect him and he is secure in his role here.

Jim O: What are you getting at?

Michael: I know it was you, Fredo err Jim O. You broke my heart. You broke my heart.

Jim O: Do you mean the letter I forwarded from some concerned fans?

Bill Jr: I'm your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over!

Michael ignores Billy's plea

Jim O: I can handle things, I'm smart, not like everybody says. Not dumb, I'm smart, and I want respect!

Jim O continues: Oh, oh, Michael; Michael, you are blind. It wasn't a miscarriage, it was an abortion. An abortion, Michael. Just like our marriage errr team is an abortion -- something that's unholy and evil. I didn't want your son, Bill Sr.. I wouldn't bring another one of your sons in this world. It was an abortion, Michael. It was a son; a son, and I had it killed cuz this must all end. I know now tha it's over; I knew it then. There would be no way, Michael. No way you could forgive me. Not with this Sicilian errr Cardinal thing thats been going on for 2000 years.

Michael: Fredo errrr Jim O, you're nothing to me now you're not a brother, you're not a friend, I don't want to know you or what you do -- I don't want to see you at the hotels -- I don't want you near my house -- when you see our mother eerrr team I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there -- you understand.

Jim O walks out to the parking lot

Jim O: Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners...

As Fredo errrr Jim O speaks we can still hear the Archbishop continuing in Latin errrr Bidwill on the phone with Graves. The gunshot fires and Michael, watching from the boathouse errr owner's office, bows his head.

Is this from My Big Fat Stupid Greek Wedding or something?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
Shut up....a compilation from the Godfather trilogy *bitch slapping you across the face*

I'm sorry I'll do this next time:

[sarcasm] text [/sarcasm]

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
I will stand by my $100 contibution. At the end of two weeks if we have at least $1000 I think we could get a one day (perhaps Sunday or Saturday) ad in the sportsection of the Republic.

I would think that if you thought this was such a great idea, you would know exactly how much such an ad would cost before you came to the table to propose the idea.

By the way, $1,000.00 isn't even close.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
I would think that if you thought this was such a great idea, you would know exactly how much such an ad would cost before you came to the table to propose the idea.

By the way, $1,000.00 isn't even close.

Uh......WIZ.......this is not a job or his job.......lighten up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson