Cardinals Defense: An Appreciation Thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much maligned each game but a solid group that bends but usually does not break. The defense keeps us in games and keeps games within reach if we could just get a solid offense going. Evidenced by how many games we have lost but still covered the spread.

Today we intercepted a QB that rarely throws interceptions - 3 times.

Props to Hamilton for his personal sacrifice.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this was the main thing Texan fans were saying as we walked out of the stadium.

I think CJ had one or two interceptions before today. We turned that guy over.

But my god, Stroud is so good at working his way through progressions. He was so fun to watch. K1 vs stroud was electric.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hope is that with further development of the younger guys, another year in the system for veterans, and some talent added via the draft and free agency that the defense can get a lot better.

The problem is that the Cardinals desperately need a true #1 receiver.
Agree. I really don’t want to waste cap space signing a Wr like Higgins ( or Brown).
MJH and a OT makes sense. Two high priced positions would be set for a while.
This offense has to be brought up to 2023 standards. I keep hearing Kyler needs weapons and a surrounding cast. That’s what we need to do. We have to remove every reason and excuse for Kyler to succeed.
If we do that and Kyler fails at least we’d be set up for the next Qb.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If we don't end up in a position to take MHJ, I think Kool-Aid McKinstry (CB - Bama), or whoever emerges as the top corner prospect, might be our biggest target.

If not our first pick, there are some mid-late 1st round quality CBs that might be there for the Texans pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we don't end up in a position to take MHJ, I think Kool-Aid McKinstry (CB - Bama), or whoever emerges as the top corner prospect, might be our biggest target.

If not our first pick, there are some mid-late 1st round quality CBs that might be there for the Texans pick.
No thanks.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Heroic effort by a no-name, rag-tag, but-we'll-be-dammed-if-you-think-you-think-you're going-to-score-another-touchdown-against-us defense. So proud of them!

And I hope they write songs about Hamilton's interception.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going into next season we need two new CB's. No doubt that the Defense plays with maximum effort, but like the saying goes, "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

Yeah we keep talking about DTs, OTs, WR and Edge in round 1.

Got to think King or Wiggins is going to be the 2nd first rounder.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I always think if a defense can keep other team to less than 21-22 points, you win a lot more games than lose. Yesterday, offense and not taking field goals where the problem

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
When I think about this defense I think about which came first - the chicken - or the egg

Which should come first? The culture or the talent? One would prefer to see these simultaneously but Rallis doesn't really have the latter now - does he?

So we're doing the culture change thing - saw it right away in the first game - and while the aggression and unbridled enthusiasm has regressed a tad we can begin to see the Rallis vision take shape

We're going to get to the quarterback - that's a given - but truth is we don't have the secondary to complement the effort

Some side dressing: while I don't think Gannon is in on the tank - wtf man - "questionable calls" doesn't do it it justice

Not only do we miss out on points - it again overloads the circuits we call our defense - our offense is bad enough lol he can't be compounding the problem like that

Anyways - love the effort - hate the mistakes - some bright spots - yada yada - if we throw some Robert Dinero at free agency and don't have to address the QB position in the draft - we might maybe be okay next year

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When I think about this defense I think about which came first - the chicken - or the egg

Which should come first? The culture or the talent? One would prefer to see these simultaneously but Rallis doesn't really have the latter now - does he?

So we're doing the culture change thing - saw it right away in the first game - and while the aggression and unbridled enthusiasm has regressed a tad we can begin to see the Rallis vision take shape

We're going to get to the quarterback - that's a given - but truth is we don't have the secondary to complement the effort

Some side dressing: while I don't think Gannon is in on the tank - wtf man - "questionable calls" doesn't do it it justice

Not only do we miss out on points - it again overloads the circuits we call our defense - our offense is bad enough lol he can't be compounding the problem like that

Anyways - love the effort - hate the mistakes - some bright spots - yada yada - if we throw some Robert Dinero at free agency and don't have to address the QB position in the draft - we might maybe be okay next year
agree.
But, I would like to see them "Fix" one side of the ball this off season... for expediency I prefer they fix the offense.
That means invest in the oline, get a true number 1 WR,...add speed to the RB room. an offense that can control the ball and put up 35 points goes a long way in making this defense less of a drawback...because as undertalented as they are...they do make plays as long as they aint totally gassed.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree.
But, I would like to see them "Fix" one side of the ball this off season... for expediency I prefer they fix the offense.
That means invest in the oline, get a true number 1 WR,...add speed to the RB room. an offense that can control the ball and put up 35 points goes a long way in making this defense less of a drawback...because as undertalented as they are...they do make plays as long as they aint totally gassed.
Totally agree. We MUST do this. This organization needs to erase any excuses for Kyler to succeed.

What don’t want to see is piece mealing different parts all over the roster.
A GREAT offense will make a (even this one) better.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score

JJ and AJ seem to really like the way Gardeck is performing this year. At around 1:43:50 they start to talk a little bit about him.

Edit: Sorry but can't figure out how to put the video directly in my post.

Last edited: