Alex Smith

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Smith isn't going to survive the preseason, much less the regular season. He's already taken two hard blindside hits vs the Saints.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 2nd one was a real doozy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Unless he's playing the Arizona Cardinals with almost zero edge rush :D

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
early reports are saying the whiners have 0 run game, no pass protection and look pretty awful altogether :)

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I can think of one head coach that really wants luck...
I think Luck and Harbaugh planned that the whole time. Luck stayed at Standford because he knew he would've gone to the panthers. Harbaugh gets to implement his system for a year, and suck on purpose so they can grab luck with the #1 overall. Im not much on conspiracy theories, but that makes perfect sense lol

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think Luck and Harbaugh planned that the whole time. Luck stayed at Standford because he knew he would've gone to the panthers. Harbaugh gets to implement his system for a year, and suck on purpose so they can grab luck with the #1 overall. Im not much on conspiracy theories, but that makes perfect sense lol

Won't work. Instant Karma will get you.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
nobody plans to lose all their games for a draft choice, no matter how bad they would like a pick. I doubt V.Davis and some of those guys on that team would ever approach a game in that fashion. I hate the niners, but they play with professional pride as much as any team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nobody plans to lose all their games for a draft choice, no matter how bad they would like a pick. I doubt V.Davis and some of those guys on that team would ever approach a game in that fashion. I hate the niners, but they play with professional pride as much as any team.

Not to mention money. Throwing away a season for a draft pick would cost a lot of players a lot of money come FA/contract time. Also, it's a pretty surefire way to insure your coaching career ends in short order. How many new coaches can survive a horrible year followed by a couple more horrible years while the rookie grows into a real player?

Steve

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Not to mention money. Throwing away a season for a draft pick would cost a lot of players a lot of money come FA/contract time. Also, it's a pretty surefire way to insure your coaching career ends in short order. How many new coaches can survive a horrible year followed by a couple more horrible years while the rookie grows into a real player?

Steve
Most scouts think Luck is the next Tom Brady. The whiners wouldn't technically 'try' to lose, but it seems like they didnt put in 100% effort to improve the team. The whiner fans hate Smith, so im sure they would love to have Luck, no matter what.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most scouts think Luck is the next Tom Brady. The whiners wouldn't technically 'try' to lose, but it seems like they didnt put in 100% effort to improve the team. The whiner fans hate Smith, so im sure they would love to have Luck, no matter what.

The 49ers have some purse string issues but I just don't buy the "Luck" conspiracy. I could see a team sit a few key players late in the season for one game (perhaps even two) but there's just no way an organization plans from the offseason onward to lose for a draft pick. The risks just do not measure up. And keep in mind, most scouts thought Tom Brady would actually be Tom Brady, roughly the 200th best player in his draft class.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

You're right no professional team would ever tank games to improve their draft position. Now why is it again that the NBA has a Lottery? :D

K'pernick was 9 of 19 with two interceptions. I love irony and it seems to love the Cardinals as well. So I see visions of the Texans trading Leinart to the 4and9ers.

One year in SF and Leinart becomes like the former 3rd string Texas QB who was spotted on the sidelines at a game and now makes huge money as a model. No he wasn't spotted playing the bongos naked. But for $8 million a picture I'll play the Bongos anyway you want.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have a feeling Kapernack (sp) will be starting by Week 11 when we first play them this season. Alex Smith has had a short leash for the last couple of seasons. I can only imagine how short it is now that they picked a QB in the 2nd round.

By then, the 9ers could easily be 2-7 or 3-6 and all but out of playoff contention (I will be shocked if their record is better than that). This team top to bottom is going to struggle immensely.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sort of buying into the Luck conspiracy myself....and i'm just fine n dandy with it....even if it proves to be true.

I've got no problem with a division rival rolling over and playing dead in 2011.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Alex Smith is my favorite 49ers player of all time. He's always good enough to keep them returning to him, but mediocre enough that they don't win the division or get a good draft pick. I'd rather he wasn't hurt. Kaepernick might be able to to sway the win/loss column one way or the other.

I hope he plays out his career there.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Look on the bright side. The NFC West will have three QB's and maybe four of Pro Bowl caliber, Bradford, Luck and Orton. Seattle may end up withe USC QB. Not too shabby.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Unless he's playing the Arizona Cardinals with almost zero edge rush :D

The 3-4 pass rush has a little bit to do with schemes. With Davis those schemes weren't used effectively. Davis also NEVER used them in pre-season and Horton has already showed a little. Like Whiz's vanilla offense in the pre-season I'm sure Horton will keep a bunch of what he's planning under wraps. Having Horton though is encouraging and there's no reason why young studs like Schofield and Washington and Peterson and Bradley et al can't pressure the QB's.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 3-4 pass rush has a little bit to do with schemes. With Davis those schemes weren't used effectively. Davis also NEVER used them in pre-season and Horton has already showed a little. Like Whiz's vanilla offense in the pre-season I'm sure Horton will keep a bunch of what he's planning under wraps. Having Horton though is encouraging and there's no reason why young studs like Schofield and Washington and Peterson and Bradley et al can't pressure the QB's.

I listened a Horton interview on KTAR(?) and he said that he doesn't worry about showing too much in preseason games. He won't go vanilla just because he believes:

1)His players need to practive in live game situations what they will actually be doing during the regular season.

2)There is already plenty of tape in the NFL on the fire zone blitz scheme so it's not like he can suprise teams with a completely new look.

He did state that there will be wrinkles during the regular season and game planning for particular opponents will create some different looks but they will practice a lot of their plays during preseason.

I know this is contrary to Whiz's beliefs but I think the difference between Offense and Defense allows for the opposing philosophies.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

When you call an all-out blitz on the first play and zero pressure is produced, it's a personnel problem, not a scheme problem.

Bill Davis's schemes were fine; it was the players executing them that were awful. Running Joey Porter out there down after down was roughly equivalent to playing 10 men.

Excellent Bill Simmons Mailbag question yesterday comparing Alex Smith to Jason Voorhies. Hilarious.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I've been hearing from fans for several years the same thing...we're not showing much because it's preseason...baloney!!! Get to the regular season & see the same ****, nobody can get to the QB. Reality says we don't have the peeps to make it happen. Until this team get's 2 edge rushers it's not gonna matter who the DC is, we will see the same unproductive results!!! The edge guys can't rely on just a quickness upfield, they have to have more than 1 move to be successful.

Though I'm hoping for the best & see upside, Shofield still really hasn't shown much as that rusher & I'm concerned Acho isn't fast enough...we will see.

When you call an all-out blitz on the first play and zero pressure is produced, it's a personnel problem, not a scheme problem.

Bill Davis's schemes were fine; it was the players executing them that were awful. Running Joey Porter out there down after down was roughly equivalent to playing 10 men.

Amen K9 :thumbup:

A blitz is only good when you get there & leaves you exposed for big plays when you don't. Didn't the Raiders burn us for a long PI on that blitz the other night?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard