No. of Tracks: 5
Track Listing:

01: "Black Sabbath"
02: "the Wizard"
03: "Wasp/Behind the Wall of Sleep/Bassically/N.I.B."
04: "Wicked World"
05: "A Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning"

You must be registered for see images

I have never kept it a secret.... I have been a major fan of Black Sabbath and Ozzy for ages..... Also, that I never completely got into Ronnie James Dio era Black Sabbath...I guess mainly because whenever I think of Sabbath.. the music purist in me just automatically thinks Ozzy..... What an intricate part of the band Ozzy was (now is since theyve reunited once again), but
Iommi, Ward, and Butler cannot be overlooked either.... They were one of those rare bands that consisted of all first rate musicians on each of their respective instruments....

True..the Who and Cream rocked before them...true that Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer combined a mixture of Blues and Metal prior to Sabbath, but did any of them excel in those areas with the darkness that Sabbath added/introduced into music? No... no bands until then really had some of the most cryptic lyrics and just so ominous sounding....

The main reason why I selected this today was because of the recent (especially earlier this morning) conversations I've had in this forum regarding the most influential bands..the ones that you would trace some of your current favorite bands (or ones that surfaced over the past 10-15 years) roots back to...and it all pretty much started with "Black Sabbath"...

Faith No More recognized the sheer impact of Sabbath with their cover of "War Pigs" on "the Real Thing"....Van Halen, Alice-in-Chains, Soundgarden, and Tool (just to name a few) owe their debt to Sabbath... all follow the same formula/blueprint for the most part... A striking dynamic singer, a virtuoso guitarist (who has the knack of coming-up with some of the best solos of all-time), bass players who help anchor the songs along, but will shine in the spotlight whenever called upon...I found it only fitting a few years ago when "NIB" was remade that Ozzy collaborated with Primus knowing that really only Les Claypool could pull off Butler's mastery perfectly..the same goes with drumming.. Carey of Tool and Mike Bordin of Faith No More would probably list Ward among their idols (who they aspired to be)....

I was toying with the idea of doing "Paranoid", however, I couldnt pass-up posting about "Black Sabbath" because of my favorite Sabbath song which happens to be "NIB".... It all starts off with Butler's impeccable bass segment, then just lifts-off out-of-nowhere... It's all about timing in this song... everyone in the band measured everything so well in this song that it couldnt have gone better than planned... Even something simplistic as Ozzy's first "Oh Yeah" added to the song rather than detract... He blended it in so well with the groove that had already been progressing and allowed for the rest of the song to mount.... Ward's precision drumming with Butler's rocketing bass lines... the lyrics... how Ozzy delivers them (its a ballad in a way, but one with balls..so sinister).... Then the other defining part of the song was Iommi's guitar solo... He knew he had to do something to accompany the greatness that Butler achieved earlier and he came through in a big way.... Butler just didnt sit there and say...I dont want to be outdone.. in fact..he added to Iommi's solo with that looping bass groove....

"Black Sabbath" title song was mezmerizing..... "The Wizard" containing Ozzy at his best on harmonica was splendid....."Wicked World" with Ward embracing jazz-style drumming with Iommi's blistering blues guitar solo in the beginning just swung the song into high gear.... and again it's Butler holding fort on bass..anchoring it all so well..... Ozzy comes in with some of his most stunning vocals again..and just coincides well with everything else he was surrounded with on that track....The segment of songs on the final track just show-off all of Sabbath's versatility....each member of the band demonstrated that they could play any style of their choosing so flawlessly...
They're all masters of their craft......

I know the original line-up has reunited a couples of times, but the question has always been....will they record/release a new studio album? I believe this time they will... True..it's been 35 years since "Black Sabbath" has been released, but it keeps on getting better with age.... and also each member of Sabbath can still rock with the heavier bands..even if they're well nto their 50s...Ozzy today at 57 still sings like he did in his 20s.. he's a freak of nature and Ward, Iommi, and Butler havent lost anything with time either... If they do record a new album...Oh wow... ..and I must hear "NIB" live.... Nothing like "NIB" and nothing like the impact Sabbath has and always will have in the history, present, and future of music.....

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only Sabbath cd i have is their compilation We Sold Our Souls... I've always liked Ozzy, and the influence they've had is undeniable, but for some reason I never really liked them enough to delve deeper into their catalogue.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
The only Black Sabbath CD and for that matter any CD by ozzy I listen to is 'Paranoid' I'll check this one out though

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Griffin said:
The only Sabbath cd i have is their compilation We Sold Our Souls... I've always liked Ozzy, and the influence they've had is undeniable, but for some reason I never really liked them enough to delve deeper into their catalogue.

I've noticed several of the bands you posted on that New Release site of yours (which I still really appreciate that you share with us by the way), and if you enjoy most of those bands you listed on there, then you'd certainly enjoy this album since it had a heavy influence on those.... One of the first albums to incorporate metal with a dark element to it.......

Brandon_Webb said:
The only Black Sabbath CD and for that matter any CD by ozzy I listen to is 'Paranoid' I'll check this one out though

If you like listening to "Paranoid", then you'll appreciate "Black Sabbath"... You love Tool obviously and I recall you specifically stated how you preferred "Aenima" over "Undertow".... The reason why I mention that here is that I somewhat parellel that between the progression between "Black Sabbath" and "Paranoid".... Both were both band's respective first 2 albums, and you'd appreciate the rawness of the debut and then the progression they made on the ensuing album... "Black Sabbath" just flat-out rocks...it's all about "N.I.B." and you should definitely check-out the version that Ozzy did with Primus... Claypool was simply amazing.......