A Thin Keim Line

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
One has to wonder what is going through Steve Keim's mind these days.

Having built what many pre-season pundits deemed a championship worthy roster---and then watching the team implode, must be very frustrating for Keim.

During the off-season, Keim quickly got on a roll. He made the Chandler Jones trade. He re-signed RB Chris Johnson and TE Jermaine Gresham despite their having received more lucrative offers elsewhere. He re-signed QB Drew Stanton---and claimed it was one of his top priorities. He signed G Evan Mathis to shore up the offensive line and then signed DB Tyvon Branch to be a sticky cover guy on taller WRs and TEs.

Then, in the draft he rolled the dice on DT Robert Nkemdiche who was supposed to be an inside pass rushing threat. He took a chance on CB Brandon Williams, a tall, fast, but green as grass cover man. He drafted C Evan Boehm to challenge A.Q. Shipley at center. He raved about adding Adrian Wilson's small school gem, S Marqui Christian. Then he added OL and CB depth in G Cole Toner and CB Harlan Miller.

Following the draft, many fans expected Keim to round out the roster with low-cost veteran additions at LS, T, ILB, OLB, CB and P. However, save for adding CBs Mike Jenkins and Alan Ball when it appeared expected starter at RCB Justin Bethel was still sideline by a foot injury, and adding ILB Donald Butler to a prove it deal...the signings halted...and lo and behold the Cardinals were heading into the season appearing very untested and vulnerable at LS, T, CB and P.

Many fans, including myself, were wondering how a GM who was supposedly "All In" for making a Super Bowl run would take so many gambles.

When Bethel was still hurting, with Jenkins headed to the IR and with rookie Brandon Williams struggling, Keim made a last ditch trade to acquire CB Marcus Cooper. But, the trade did not come in time to help the team in game one versus the Patriots---a game in which Williams made a couple bad and costly rookie mistakes. Then, the underrated rookie long snapper wilted under the bright lights and suddenly the Cardinals were looking like chokers.

In retrospect---Keim gambled right on RT D.J. Humphries---he improved the edge rush in adding Chandler Jones---his hope that Evan Mathis would hold up at RG failed---his trade for CB Marcus Cooper paid good dividends early, but not so good as the season went along---his initial decision to go with CB Justin Bethel as the starter at RCB now seems more iffy than it was at the time---his depth at ILB turned out to be so thin that Kevin Minter became a 3 down LB, which has hurt the team in coverage---his depth at OLB was so thin that the early sack production from Markus Golden and Chandler Jones has fallen off significantly, just when it was needed the most (still have a hard time understanding why Dwight Freeney wasn't re-signed to another incentives contract)---and his decisions to ride an underrated rookie at LS and to remain committed to a bottom of the league punter now seem very symbolic of how and why the Cardinals' STs are such a low priority to the organization. There is still no viable kickoff or punt returner---and let's face it, Patrick Peterson is a pretender in that role now.

In terms of the draft---Keim deserves some satisfaction as to how his 2015 draft is shaping up. However, once again failing to get any significant contribution from his 1st round draft pick has to sting. Keim went out on a limb to draft Nkemdiche---even Michael Bidwill was brought in to sign off on the move---but to get absolutely zero from him in light of the circumstances is more than a tad demoralizing and worrisome in terms of the pattern.

One may wonder what Keim feels about BA and his coaches and their often reluctant and slow development of younger players. One may wonder, for example, what Keim felt when his 2015 1st round pick was early branded with the nickname "Knee Deep."

Which leads to the question of just how acquiescent Keim has to be to BA's total control of the coaching staff and of the roster.

If I were Steve Keim---right now I would be very concerned about the direction BA is heading.

What I would want to do this off-season, if I were him:

1. Move on from Amos Jones. 4 years of sub par and at times embarrassing STs is way too long. Make day 3 of the draft a focus on STs.

2. Make the QB position competitive. In my opinion, the only way to get Carson Palmer to turn the ball over less is to threaten his playing time. If Palmer continues to make his 3-4 poor decisions a game, this team is not going to a Super Bowl next year, nor will it likely make the playoffs. Plus, if Palmer gets hurt, there needs to be a stronger option than Drew Stanton. Moreover, how much longer can the team afford to give the QB Wednesdays off? Tom Brady is older and he doesn't take days off.

3. Move D.J. Humphries to LT and switch Jared Veldheer to RT. Sign a good veteran RG. Go with Boehm at center, but draft another center on Day 3 this year to challenge Boehm.

4. Switch some of the past focus on speed at WR to toughness by adding a couple of tough slot WRs.

5. Draft a punt returner.

6. Sign the best possible punter.

7. Find a way to keep Campbell and Jones without having to use the f-tag.

8. Add pass rushing depth.

9. Add a dynamic tackler to pair with Deone.

10. Sign a good UFA CB.

11. Sign Jefferson or Swearinger (hopefully both if reasonable), and add a deep cover FS for the sub packages.

12. Sign a new CB coach---enough is enough. Poor technique continues.

13. Convince BA to use a FB when necessary.

14. Convince BA to reduce Fitz's interior blocking responsibilities for the sake of his longevity.

15. Convince BA to maximize pass protection rather than minimize it.

16. Advise BA to stop dropping repeated f-bombs on the refs.

17. Advise BA to get a reliable guy in the booth to call down for challenges.

18. Advise BA to stop berating players to the media.

Obviously it is going to take some real wheeling and dealing and cajones to get most of these areas addressed. What worries me is that Keim may find it more difficult to sign UFAs at decent salaries because free agents may be leery of playing for Arians, particularly if Fitz retires or asks to be traded.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch maybe sometimes u go too hard. But I have to agree about keim being too passive ....I dont know what to say, at my eyes it looks like BA actually has multiple roles in arizona
Coach manager president

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Re:

2. Turning the ball over is less about competition or diligence than it is about regular pass rush pressure and poor WR play.

7 I think signing both ignores market contract realities.

13-17 is a GM micromanaging a coach

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MItch I doubt SK has the cojones to challenge BA on all of this but hopefully he mans up for some of it. This off season will be fun to watch because there is much to be done and there are still many very good pieces in place and returning from injury.

It will be interesting to see what kind of toll this disappointing season and BA's act has on the players and how active the vets will be in promoting AZ to FAs. This will also be telling in how committed our own FAs are to re-signing with us. We have enjoyed the benefit of being a destination for some good FAs but we'll see if that is still the case. We have some cap and we need an infusion of some talent and passion.

I like the prospects of flipping our Tackles and landing a solid guard. Would like to see Boehm get some reps this season to see what we have and determine if we need to add a center.

I hope Fitz does not retire but it wouldn't shock me. We definitely need an upgrade at WR with Floyd gone and Brown's health issues. Might need two or three here if Fitz leaves.

We seem to have too many needs for premier positions to address in the draft so keeping Campbell, Jefferson/Swearinger would avoid creating another premier position need on D. Those premier positions on D are MLB and CB#2. On O we need to lock down a couple TEs and address premier positions of WR, QBOF and interior OL.

Special teams could be a do-over. We obviously need punter, probably need a more reliable long snapper and maybe need to consider a new kicker. I think the coverage issues will be easily improved.

Mitch if Todd Bowles and Chuck Pagano end up on the street do you see BASK bringing either of them in and if so what does that do to the coaching staff?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scoping out position weaknesses at year's end and translating this into a draft strategy ignores the traditional BPA approach to the draft. Are you comfortable with that?

Player evaluation recruitment and acquisition is an imperfect science (some would say an "art") because of the many variables that go into building a winning football roster.

A case could be made that (with the exception of special teams, which was mishandled badly) Steve K made fundamentally good decisions but ran into an unbelievable streak of bad luck (especially injuries to OL's, WR's, TE's and DB's) magnified by bad ST and decisions and inability to acquire an acceptable #2 corner.

(Like many of you, I take the old school position that coaches and players make their own luck and shouldn't whine, but in this case, I'd opt to continue sharing the fox-hole with Steve).

But fix the bleeping ST's, OK?

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad is Boehm if he hasn't replaced Shipley already? I'm not confident about Boehm doing anything. Isn't Shipley the one constant on the oline this year? Not saying that is a good thing, but throwing Boehm in the now is a recipe for further disaster.

I don't see Bettcher going anywhere no matter who becomes available.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
regarding Keim -

his drafts are usually a mix of low floor players and projections

Buccanon and Golden are perfect example of low floor players: may not become all-pro, but you are going to get a dependable level of performance you can win with

David Johnson, Tyrann Mathieu, Brandon Williams and Nkemdiche are examples of projections: some are about great athletes that ought to be NFL players ( DJ, Williams) and some are about great college players you hope mature into solid NFL players (Mathieu and Nkemdiche)

clearly, some projections pan out and some dont.

the 2016 draft was full of projections;

Nkemdiche, Williams, Toner, Christian, Miller --- either big school guys with ? about them, or, small school guys looking to make the jump

about the only low floor pick was Evan Boehm --

I really think the only reason Boehm hasnt played is because Shipley is the only guy consistently healthy week to week -- to add a rookie to the current mix at center would be asking for more trouble than you already have due to injuries

Toner is the guy i wonder about -- played well in the preseason, yet Wetzel and Boggs are ahead of him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Re:

2. Turning the ball over is less about competition or diligence than it is about regular pass rush pressure and poor WR play.

7 I think signing both ignores market contract realities.

13-17 is a GM micromanaging a coach

2. It's as much about Palmer throwing into double coverage repeatedly---and playing hot potato in zero sets.

7. I think you are 100% correct. Calais is already talking about how this week's game may be his last at U of P. And, I have started to wonder whether Jones would rather play somewhere else---he has two brothers in the league and they might be advising him to take the one year f-tag and be a UFA in 2018. Jones' effort the past few weeks has been very disappointing.

13-17. It's micro-managing iof Keim insists that BA make the changes---but otherwise it is constructive advice. After all, it is the GM's job to evaluate the HC and his staff each year.

Great posts, karma!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
MItch I doubt SK has the cojones to challenge BA on all of this but hopefully he mans up for some of it. This off season will be fun to watch because there is much to be done and there are still many very good pieces in place and returning from injury.

It will be interesting to see what kind of toll this disappointing season and BA's act has on the players and how active the vets will be in promoting AZ to FAs. This will also be telling in how committed our own FAs are to re-signing with us. We have enjoyed the benefit of being a destination for some good FAs but we'll see if that is still the case. We have some cap and we need an infusion of some talent and passion.

I like the prospects of flipping our Tackles and landing a solid guard. Would like to see Boehm get some reps this season to see what we have and determine if we need to add a center.

I hope Fitz does not retire but it wouldn't shock me. We definitely need an upgrade at WR with Floyd gone and Brown's health issues. Might need two or three here if Fitz leaves.

We seem to have too many needs for premier positions to address in the draft so keeping Campbell, Jefferson/Swearinger would avoid creating another premier position need on D. Those premier positions on D are MLB and CB#2. On O we need to lock down a couple TEs and address premier positions of WR, QBOF and interior OL.

Special teams could be a do-over. We obviously need punter, probably need a more reliable long snapper and maybe need to consider a new kicker. I think the coverage issues will be easily improved.

Mitch if Todd Bowles and Chuck Pagano end up on the street do you see BASK bringing either of them in and if so what does that do to the coaching staff?

I think BA would offer either Bowles or Pagano an assistant HC position as overseer of the defense and defensive game planning. Although---if BA can psyche up Bettcher to take over the STs for the betterment of the team, then Bowles or Pagano can slide right in as DC.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That's a long list Mitch. The tackling woes, and poor OL play and add to that vets that can not be counted on for the 16 games, scream a new direction. It can't be fixed in one off season. They could squeeeekkkk IN next season, but for what??? Top priority for me is a mobile young QB. The league is has progressed beyond stay in the pocket passers, imo. A QB that can break down coverages with at least a modicum of movement and PR avoidance skills is not just a necessity anymore, it's a primary need on teams. Even someone like big Ben who isn't really mobile, yet can extend plays. Flaco is another example. I don't know if there is anyone worth taking in the 1st Rd when we pick, but we should be willing, ready and able to pull the trigger.

Getting some HEALTHY vets (without injury issues) along the OL and ILB spots would be a very advantageous direction in the off season as well. That's the one good thing about Minter. Since he's been a starter he's been durable at least. If there is an upgrade to be had I'm all for it.

ST's will be addressed across the board possibly.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think BA would offer either Bowles or Pagano an assistant HC position as overseer of the defense and defensive game planning. Although---if BA can psyche up Bettcher to take over the STs for the betterment of the team, then Bowles or Pagano can slide right in as DC.
Do you think he would let Amos Jones go after so adamantly denying that he would?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Do you think he would let Amos Jones go after so adamantly denying that he would?

BA has changed his mind before. I don't think he would let Jones go, he would just re-assign him as defensive assistant. But---if the Cardinals STs remain an embarrassment or even sub par another year under Amos Jones, even BA said "I might as well fire myself." BA's butt is on the line---so yes, when he evaluates the staff at the end of the year, he might choose to take a fresh STs approach with someone else and keep his buddy Jones in some other capacity.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Plain and simple Keim needs to overrule Arians on several things this off season and Amos Jones is one of them. He also needs to make better draft decisions and grab a player in the first round who will actually play next season and in that respect he may need to sit Arians down and say if rookies are out playing vets they need to start or get playing time. It's not out of the realm that Arians may just up and leave especially if he maintains his stubbornness. Arians may have been in the league a long time but he hasn't been a HC very long. My way or the highway isn't going to cut it much longer for Arians. At some point Arians needs to realize he doesn't have all the answers and his answers are not always the best for the team.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians may have been in the league a long time but he hasn't been a HC very long. My way or the highway isn't going to cut it much longer for Arians. At some point Arians needs to realize he doesn't have all the answers and his answers are not always the best for the team.
+1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Good organizations don't overreact to struggles. Your thread is a significant overreaction. Arians needs to stick to coaching. Kiem needs to stick to personnel. Both have been ok, but need to show better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Plain and simple Keim needs to overrule Arians on several things this off season and Amos Jones is one of them. He also needs to make better draft decisions and grab a player in the first round who will actually play next season and in that respect he may need to sit Arians down and say if rookies are out playing vets they need to start or get playing time. It's not out of the realm that Arians may just up and leave especially if he maintains his stubbornness. Arians may have been in the league a long time but he hasn't been a HC very long. My way or the highway isn't going to cut it much longer for Arians. At some point Arians needs to realize he doesn't have all the answers and his answers are not always the best for the team.
"Overruling" is how rifts between coach and FO occur, and make for a toxic relationship. Believe it or not, that'd make things worse.

Rather, Keim and BA will team up and formulate a plan to improve upon this season and get back to double digit victories. Because that's what successful organizations do: they discuss matters, not "overrule" one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: