A Little Help Please

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone teach me how to post quoted remarks from other posters at the beginning of my posts when I am commenting on what that poster said. I like to acknowlege the creator of the post, (and I see it in gray backgound all the time on the site), but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the ineptitude. PS this can be on a Phone Call if you wish---my cell number is ****. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can someone teach me how to post quoted remarks from other posters at the beginning of my posts when I am commenting on what that poster said. I like to acknowlege the creator of the post, (and I see it in gray backgound all the time on the site), but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the ineptitude. PS this can be on a Phone Call if you wish---my cell number is 480 748 1082. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just click the "quote" button in the bottom, right of the text box.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone teach me how to post quoted remarks from other posters at the beginning of my posts when I am commenting on what that poster said. I like to acknowlege the creator of the post, (and I see it in gray backgound all the time on the site), but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the ineptitude. PS this can be on a Phone Call if you wish---my cell number is *******. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just hit "quote" button in bottom right hand corner of post you want to quote.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Can someone teach me how to post quoted remarks from other posters at the beginning of my posts when I am commenting on what that poster said. I like to acknowlege the creator of the post, (and I see it in gray backgound all the time on the site), but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the ineptitude. PS this can be on a Phone Call if you wish---my cell number is *******. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Catfish, I just click the button that says "quote" under the text of their post, in this case yours. Sometimes I shorten whats left as it shows up at the beginning of my response. Some people are adept at posting several shortened "quotes" in one response. They are better than I am.

edit: as are Shane and Mike for beating me to the easy response.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Catfish, I just click the button that says "quote" under the text of their post, in this case yours. Sometimes I shorten whats left as it shows up at the beginning of my response. Some people are adept at posting several shortened "quotes" in one response. They are better than I am.

i have given up trying at that.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

OK, --- Here goes. I hope it works --- Thanks for your quick responses. You guys are great.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
YEEEEEAAAAAA HHHHH !!!! Thanks fellas, it isn't hard at all, just another thing for me to learn. You guys are wonderful.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
YEEEEEAAAAAA HHHHH !!!! Thanks fellas, it isn't hard at all, just another thing for me to learn. You guys are wonderful.

Sweetness. Now take your cell phone off your initial post or you are going to get some entertaining phone calls from people with nothing better to do.

And if there is a question on how to do that, just look around the same place as you found the quote button, on your original post, and you will find and edit button.

Have fun.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cat - One other small "trick of the trade" -

After you click the "quote" button, you'll see the quote show up in your text window.

You can delete stuff between the two [/quote] hypertext thingies at the beginning and end of the quote.

You may want to do this because you may only want to refer to 7 or 8 words buried inside a quote that's a gazillion words long.

And, by deleting all but those 7 or 8 words and surrounding them with three-dot elipses ("... the 7 or 8 words...") you let the reader know that the quote you're leaving in has been grabbed from within the context of a much longer quote.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i have given up trying at that.

After you click the "quote" button, you'll see the quote show up in your text window.

You can delete stuff between the two hypertext thingies at the beginning and end of the quote.

You may want to do this because you may only want to refer to 7 or 8 words buried inside a quote that's a gazillion words long.

And, by deleting all but those 7 or 8 words and surrounding them with three-dot elipses ("... the 7 or 8 words...") you let the reader know that the quote you're leaving in has been grabbed from within the context of a much longer quote.

Even better.... To the right of the quote button, there is a 'multi-quote' button. This allows you to reply to more than one persons quote in a post. You continue to hit that button and it will turn red. Once you have clicked this button for all of the posts that you want to quote, then hit the regular quote button.

What happens is what you see above.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can delete stuff between the two
hypertext thingies at the beginning and end of the quote.

[/QUOTE]

This is a test.

Even better.... To the right of the quote button, there is a 'multi-quote' button. This allows you to reply to more than one persons quote in a post. You continue to hit that button and it will turn red. Once you have clicked this button for all of the posts that you want to quote, then hit the regular quote button.

This is a test.
Advanced Thank you to DCR.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TEST---I've always wondered what the multiquote thingy was

Catfish, I just click the button that says "quote" under the text of their post, in this case yours. Sometimes I shorten whats left as it shows up at the beginning of my response.

Some people are adept at posting several shortened "quotes" in one response. They are better than I am.

OK, --- Here goes. I hope it works --- Thanks for your quick responses. You guys are great.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, and thanks for removing my cell # from my original post on this matter. You guys are great, and VERY much appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson