A First Guess At The Cardinals' Roster & PS

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I say guess, because I am expecting a number of surprises. BA said recently that if a younger player at a lower salary is close to being as good as a veteran, he would go with the young player, because the coaches get to have him in the system longer, and obviously it helps the salary cap.

QB (3)::newcards:

3 Carson Palmer
5 Drew Stanton
6 Caleb TerBush*

TerBush is a bigger, stronger athlete than Ryan Lindley---he's a project, but BA loves projects. I wrote an asterisk next to TerBush's name because it would not surprise me if BA&SK at some point sign Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch, especially if either Palmer or Stanton becomes somewhat limited due to an injury.

RB (3)::newcards:

28 Rashard Mendenhall
30 Stepfan Taylor
38 Andre Ellington

Ryan Williams is likely to be traded. BA has said he might keep 4 RBs, but Williams isn't a good all-around fit in the offense and there are other stronger ST players, including rookies Taylor and Ellington. A 4th RB in a system that loves 3 down RBs isn't roster smart.

TE (5)::newcards:

87 Jeff King
84 Rob Housler
86 D.C. Jefferson
46 Kyle Auffray
80 Alex Gottlieb*

Jefferson, Auffray and Gottlieb all bring STs ability and all are very good ahtletes. Jim Dray is too slow, and Kory Sperry fits BA's description of a veteran who can't separate from younger players. Gottlieb could overtake Mike Leach as the long snapper, thus allowing BA to keep 5 TEs.

OL (9)::newcards:

75 Levi Brown
61 Jonathan Cooper
63 Lyle Sendlein
71 Daryn Colledge*
70 Bobbie Massey
76 Nate Potter
64 Senio Kelemete
73 Chilo Rachal
78 Earl Watford

While it not might be right away, it's very likely that Daryn Colledge will be replaced in the starting lineup and when he is he will be released. It's surprising to me that SK hasn't insisted on Colledge agreeing to cut his salary in half, much the way T Doug Free just had to do with the Cowboys. But if Colledge continues on at his current salary he will be released sooner than later. As soon as Earl Watford is ready---he's the starting RG. It will also be interesting to see if Senio Kelemete gets time at center and whether he can oust Lyle Sendlein at some point. If not, I expect the Cardinals to draft a center next year.

WR (6):newcards:

11 Larry Fitzgerald
12 Andre Roberts
15 Michael Floyd
19 Ryan Swope
10 Robert Gill
13 Jaron Brown

Swope, Gill and Brown are speed compliments to Fitzgerald, Roberts and Floyd and the goal is for all the WRs to play faster and emerge and big-time deep threats. Swope assumes the role that T.Y. Hilton played in Indy last year and Gill becomes the Donnie Avery vertical speed threat. Jaron Brown's ability to split the seams gives him the slight edge over LaRon Byrd, Dan Bucker and Michael Rios---and keep an eye on Tyler Shaw who has the speed and playmaking ability BA loves.

It wouldn't surprise me if BA keeps 7 WRs if he decided to go with 3 RBs and 4 TEs (instead of 5). While BA will use double TE formations from time to time, his WR talent is so promising that in my opinion BA will lean heavily toward 3 WR/1 TE sets---and, of course, 4 WR sets.

DL (7):newcards:

90 Darnell Dockett
93 Calais Campbell
92 Dan Williams
98 Frostee Rucker
79 David Carter
48 Dan Giordano
67 Padric Scott

While Ricky Lumpkin, Ronald Talley and Everette Thompson have legitimate chances here I think BA&TB are going to love the motors of Carter, Giordano and Scott. If they sign Sedric Ellis, then Scott may have to wait his turn on the PS.

ILB (5):newcards:

58 Daryl Washington
51 Kevin Minter
55 Karlos Dansby
54 Jasper Brinkley
56 Reggie Walker

Dansby, Brinkley and Walker might be used at OLB at times, especially Dansby, once Daryl Washington returns. Minter has an excellent chance to start at SILB, although Brinkley is going to be very solid on running downs. I think Brinkley and Walker have edge rush ability---so it will be interesting if they will be used in that capacity.

OLB (4):newcards:

97 Lorenzo Alexander
94 Sam Acho
91 Matt Shaughnessy
57 Alex Okafor

It would seem likely that O'Brien Schofield will be traded---that is unless he plays lights-out in camp and can separate himself. It wouldn't appear as if he is physical enough to command the edge, and all the off-season moves indicate that BA&TB want to build a tough, physically imposing defense, especially in the front seven. I think that there could be a surprise here---possibly Zach Nash or Tim Fugger---both are a year stronger and both have intriguing edge rush potential. Matt Shaughnessy is a player to get excited about.

CB (5):newcards:

21 Patrick Peterson
25 Jerraud Powers
20 Antoine Cason
35 Javier Arenas
31 Justin Bethel

Jamell Fleming looks to be this year's A.J. Jefferson trade chip. Justin Bethel is a better athlete and has a higher ceiling. Plus, Bethel is a STs star. Another CB that could very well work his way into the mix is Bryan McCann. And I think that Ronnie Yell will be stashed away on the PS and could be called up if and when needed.

S (4):newcards:

37 Jeremiah Bell
32 Tyrann Mathieu
49 Rashad Johnson
36 Tony Jefferson

Bell is the wizened veteran here. Johnson is coming into his own, and the young combo of Mathieu and Jefferson is very exciting. The coaches are going to want to try to keep a roster spot open for Jonathan Amaya, especially because of his ST prowess. It is hard to imagine him making it over Jefferson, however. Mathieu and Jefferson are potential stars.

ST (2):newcards:

4 Jay Feely
9 Dave Zastudil

Solid combo here. Mike Leach will have to stave off Alex Gottlieb, however. Leach is very good, so I may be wrong about Gottlieb getting the nod.

PS (8):newcards:

62 T Jamaal Johnson-Webb
68 C/G Adam Bice or 60 T/G Joe Caprioglio
33 RB William Powell
7 WR Tyler Shaw
1 WR Michael Rios
59 DE/OLB Zach Nash or 53 Tim Fugger
47 LB Korey Jones
43 CB Ronnie Yell
26 S Curtis Taylor

Where the roster may still need upgrades: 3rd QB, TE, NT, Edge rusher, S.

I will update this after each pre-season game or with new signings. It should be very interesting to watch. Wow!:newcards:

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Been waiting slacker!

LOL. Kidding of course.

Can't wait to read it.
----------------------------------------------------

Good stuff. I like how you have the defense split up. IMO, while the defense seems to have very little to debate enough, I think it is the farthest thing from the truth. There is no doubt that Arians and Bowles are looking to get bigger, and stronger. Arians talks about the nickel defense so much that players are going to be kept for just that purpose. Not to mention I agree that O'Brien Schofield, and Jamel Flemming are on the bubble. I think Flemming has a better chance at keeping his roster spot then Schofield. Schofield plays special teams but he is very weak against the run, so much I cannot see him lasting long in Bowles defense. Flemming has all the skill in the world, IMO to be a good corner back in the NFL. Does the light bulb come on ? We will see.

As for offense, I think the WR position will be as interesting as you make it out to be. Jaron Brown ? For all the hype this kid has gotten, I cannot wait to see it out on the field. And my final comment, is I agree that Ryan Williams is on the bubble. They Cardinals have already cut a RB because of knee problems, Williams could be next if Ellington is half the player he is talked up to be. Not only that, if Taylor is half the player he is talked up to be then there is a very good justification for what Mitch listed as his running backs.....I would add Powell as a 4th because Mendenhall is a bit of a injury risk, but that is splitting hairs.

Anyone else feel like the Cardinal fan base as a whole is wishing on a birthday cake for Earl Watford to be a GIGANTIC surprise and start this year ? I know I am.

Mitch do you mind if I like your final 53 on my final 53 ? It will be good for comparisons. Plus nothing says, "Half crazed Cardinals fan with too much time" like debating who is going to be the 5th WR. LOL

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think Brinkley and Walker have edge rush ability---so it will be interesting if they will be used in that capacity.

So many things can happen between now and even the start of training camp so your prediction is as good as any so I wont comment on that part.

What I do have to comment on is the above quote. What in their past would suggest such a thing?

In the NFL between the two of them - 7 years - 93 games - 0 Sacks - 7 QBH's

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Colledge makes it to the regular season, he's going to stay on the roster. Once the season starts and Colledge is on the active roster, his entire salary is guaranteed by the Cards.

What trade value would Ryan Williams and O'Brien Schofield possibly have?

And where's the evidence that Bruce Arians loves projects at the quarterback position? Pittsburgh never had a developmental quarterback while he was there, and the Colts brought in the most finished collegiate prospect since Peyton Manning.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont believe anyone would give us compensation for williams, he will make the team or be cut. Obscho either.

I think theyll both make the team.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd be a but sad to Byrd go, really impressed me last preseason.

No way Williams has any trade value at this point.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, I might be completely naive but I actually think Korey Jones could make the roster. He is very athletic and could potentially play several linebacker-spots and special teams. I have no idea who he could push away from the roster, as I believe they have a lot of talented players in place, but he is one of maybe a handful of the undrafted free agents I could see surprise us all.

What makes you think Kelemete might get a chance to play center? He never tried it in college. If he could do it the interior offensive line could potentially be set for years.

Last note, I think Javon Harris might take up a spot on the practice squad. He can play both as the deep safety and up in the box. As you mentioned, there could easily be a need at safety, if nothing else then in the future, so they might want to groom Harris.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say guess, because I am expecting a number of surprises. BA said recently that if a younger player at a lower salary is close to being as good as a veteran, he would go with the young player, because the coaches get to have him in the system longer, and obviously it helps the salary cap.

Good stuff Mitch and while a ton of things can occur between now and the start of the season it is still a fun and enlightening conversation to have. I agree that BA is good with youth over experience in most cases. He makes these statements plus he played a bunch of rookies last year. I didn't follow the Colts closely enough to know how much of that was due to injuries though.

QB (3)::newcards:

3 Carson Palmer
5 Drew Stanton
6 Caleb TerBush*

TerBush is a bigger, stronger athlete than Ryan Lindley---he's a project, but BA loves projects. I wrote an asterisk next to TerBush's name because it would not surprise me if BA&SK at some point sign Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch, especially if either Palmer or Stanton becomes somewhat limited due to an injury.

Top two are a lock but it will be interesting to see how much Keim has final say. If he was the force behind drafting Lindley then he may not be ready to give up on him.

RB (3)::newcards:

28 Rashard Mendenhall
30 Stepfan Taylor
38 Andre Ellington

Ryan Williams is likely to be traded. BA has said he might keep 4 RBs, but Williams isn't a good all-around fit in the offense and there are other stronger ST players, including rookies Taylor and Ellington. A 4th RB in a system that loves 3 down RBs isn't roster smart.

BA was effusive in his praise for Williams when he was hired. Unless Williams knee hasn't fully recovered then I expect him to make the team. I know that's what I want. :D

TE (5)::newcards:

87 Jeff King
84 Rob Housler
86 D.C. Jefferson
46 Kyle Auffray
80 Alex Gottlieb*

Jefferson, Auffray and Gottlieb all bring STs ability and all are very good ahtletes. Jim Dray is too slow, and Kory Sperry fits BA's description of a veteran who can't separate from younger players. Gottlieb could overtake Mike Leach as the long snapper, thus allowing BA to keep 5 TEs.

Last year when King came back from injury is played very poorly, especially in terms of blocking. Hopefully he has regained his full abilities because even though he isn't a great receiver his blocking would be a huge asset. I agree that Dray is probably done (sorry K9) if any of the other TE's can play the H-Back position.

OL (9)::newcards:

75 Levi Brown
61 Jonathan Cooper
63 Lyle Sendlein
71 Daryn Colledge*
70 Bobbie Massey
76 Nate Potter
64 Senio Kelemete
73 Chilo Rachal
78 Earl Watford

While it not might be right away, it's very likely that Daryn Colledge will be replaced in the starting lineup and when he is he will be released. It's surprising to me that SK hasn't insisted on Colledge agreeing to cut his salary in half, much the way T Doug Free just had to do with the Cowboys. But if Colledge continues on at his current salary he will be released sooner than later. As soon as Earl Watford is ready---he's the starting RG. It will also be interesting to see if Senio Kelemete gets time at center and whether he can oust Lyle Sendlein at some point. If not, I expect the Cardinals to draft a center next year.

I don't think Kelemete has gotten any reps at Center, anyone hear that he has? Hopefully he will be given a look at C. It will be intersting to see how the Colledge situation plays out.

WR (6):newcards:

11 Larry Fitzgerald
12 Andre Roberts
15 Michael Floyd
19 Ryan Swope
10 Robert Gill
13 Jaron Brown

Swope, Gill and Brown are speed compliments to Fitzgerald, Roberts and Floyd and the goal is for all the WRs to play faster and emerge and big-time deep threats. Swope assumes the role that T.Y. Hilton played in Indy last year and Gill becomes the Donnie Avery vertical speed threat. Jaron Brown's ability to split the seams gives him the slight edge over LaRon Byrd, Dan Bucker and Michael Rios---and keep an eye on Tyler Shaw who has the speed and playmaking ability BA loves.

It wouldn't surprise me if BA keeps 7 WRs if he decided to go with 3 RBs and 4 TEs (instead of 5). While BA will use double TE formations from time to time, his WR talent is so promising that in my opinion BA will lean heavily toward 3 WR/1 TE sets---and, of course, 4 WR sets.

This will be very interesting as well. BA loves two TE sets because the D can't be sure if it will be a pass or run play. He said something to the effect that you won't get the D's best play call because they have no idea what you are going to do.

Fitz is a very good blocker as is Roberts and Floyd might be the best so a 3 WR set could still be effective running the ball. With the wealth of talent we have at WR I could see us running this set more than the two TE set.

Fitz, Floyd, Roberts and Swopes are locks to make the roster. I'm also rooting for Byrd and then whoever stretches the field best.

DL (7):newcards:

90 Darnell Dockett
93 Calais Campbell
92 Dan Williams
98 Frostee Rucker
79 David Carter
48 Dan Giordano
67 Padric Scott

While Ricky Lumpkin, Ronald Talley and Everette Thompson have legitimate chances here I think BA&TB are going to love the motors of Carter, Giordano and Scott. If they sign Sedric Ellis, then Scott may have to wait his turn on the PS.

Like Paric Scotts story and his athleticism so hope he makes the squad. Carter's rookie year was better than his 2nd but I'm not sure why.

ILB (5):newcards:

58 Daryl Washington
51 Kevin Minter
55 Karlos Dansby
54 Jasper Brinkley
56 Reggie Walker

Dansby, Brinkley and Walker might be used at OLB at times, especially Dansby, once Daryl Washington returns. Minter has an excellent chance to start at SILB, although Brinkley is going to be very solid on running downs. I think Brinkley and Walker have edge rush ability---so it will be interesting if they will be used in that capacity.

Ton of talent at ILB so it will be fun to see the different pairings and sub packages. Having LOS and DWash during obvious passing situations is a no brainer. Both great in coverage and at blitzing.

97 Lorenzo Alexander
94 Sam Acho
91 Matt Shaughnessy
57 Alex Okafor

It would seem likely that O'Brien Schofield will be traded---that is unless he plays lights-out in camp and can separate himself. It wouldn't appear as if he is physical enough to command the edge, and all the off-season moves indicate that BA&TB want to build a tough, physically imposing defense, especially in the front seven. I think that there could be a surprise here---possibly Zach Nash or Tim Fugger---both are a year stronger and both have intriguing edge rush potential. Matt Shaughnessy is a player to get excited about.

This is the unit that has me the most concerned. Someone needs to step up as a legit pass rusher. If Scho breaks out rushing the passer then his lack of ability to play the run won't be an issue. He just won't get as many snaps and will play in obvious passing situations.

CB (5):newcards:

21 Patrick Peterson
25 Jerraud Powers
20 Antoine Cason
35 Javier Arenas
31 Justin Bethel

Jamell Fleming looks to be this year's A.J. Jefferson trade chip. Justin Bethel is a better athlete and has a higher ceiling. Plus, Bethel is a STs star. Another CB that could very well work his way into the mix is Bryan McCann. And I think that Ronnie Yell will be stashed away on the PS and could be called up if and when needed.

Fleming appears to have a maturity issue or doesn't have the work ethic. Hope I'm wrong and he can step it up. Thing is why did his playing time go down towards the end of the year and Bethels increase?

S (4):newcards:

37 Jeremiah Bell
32 Tyrann Mathieu
49 Rashad Johnson
36 Tony Jefferson

Bell is the wizened veteran here. Johnson is coming into his own, and the young combo of Mathieu and Jefferson is very exciting. The coaches are going to want to try to keep a roster spot open for Jonathan Amaya, especially because of his ST prowess. It is hard to imagine him making it over Jefferson, however. Mathieu and Jefferson are potential stars.

I won't be shocked to see Bethel moved back to Safety. He is FAST and covers a ton of ground but does he have the instincts to play center field?

ST (2):newcards:

4 Jay Feely
9 Dave Zastudil

Solid combo here. Mike Leach will have to stave off Alex Gottlieb, however. Leach is very good, so I may be wrong about Gottlieb getting the nod.

I think Leach still gets down the field quickly so Gottlieb will have to have a BIG camp to unseat him.

PS (8):newcards:

62 T Jamaal Johnson-Webb
68 C/G Adam Bice or 60 T/G Joe Caprioglio
33 RB William Powell
7 WR Tyler Shaw
1 WR Michael Rios
59 DE/OLB Zach Nash or 53 Tim Fugger
47 LB Korey Jones
43 CB Ronnie Yell
26 S Curtis Taylor

Where the roster may still need upgrades: 3rd QB, TE, NT, Edge rusher, S.

I will update this after each pre-season game or with new signings. It should be very interesting to watch. Wow!:newcards:

Your thoughts?

I'm not concerned about the 3rd QB at this point. I agree that Edge Rusher is a need, appears the only real hole on the roster at this point. Safety and TE need an infusion of talent but aren't a weakness.

I'm not worried about NT but I get why you have it listed. Does Dumpster Dan keep his weight in check and improve his pass rush abilities, at least enough to push the pocket back? He does have great sideline to sideline ability so I think he will fit TB's scheme very well. Padric Scott apears to have the athleticism to play NT in this scheme as well.

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score

97 Lorenzo Alexander
94 Sam Acho
91 Matt Shaughnessy
57 Alex Okafor

Would this represent the slowest OLB group in the NFL? They'll be exposed in coverage. On top of that one is going to have to surprise to be the impact pass rusher this team needs.:sad:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After hearing coach Arians rave about Williams ability on arrival, I doubt he's out of any picture. I see Schofield as this year's designated pass rusher.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Been waiting slacker!

LOL. Kidding of course.

Can't wait to read it.
----------------------------------------------------

Good stuff. I like how you have the defense split up. IMO, while the defense seems to have very little to debate enough, I think it is the farthest thing from the truth. There is no doubt that Arians and Bowles are looking to get bigger, and stronger. Arians talks about the nickel defense so much that players are going to be kept for just that purpose. Not to mention I agree that O'Brien Schofield, and Jamel Flemming are on the bubble. I think Flemming has a better chance at keeping his roster spot then Schofield. Schofield plays special teams but he is very weak against the run, so much I cannot see him lasting long in Bowles defense. Flemming has all the skill in the world, IMO to be a good corner back in the NFL. Does the light bulb come on ? We will see.

As for offense, I think the WR position will be as interesting as you make it out to be. Jaron Brown ? For all the hype this kid has gotten, I cannot wait to see it out on the field. And my final comment, is I agree that Ryan Williams is on the bubble. They Cardinals have already cut a RB because of knee problems, Williams could be next if Ellington is half the player he is talked up to be. Not only that, if Taylor is half the player he is talked up to be then there is a very good justification for what Mitch listed as his running backs.....I would add Powell as a 4th because Mendenhall is a bit of a injury risk, but that is splitting hairs.

Anyone else feel like the Cardinal fan base as a whole is wishing on a birthday cake for Earl Watford to be a GIGANTIC surprise and start this year ? I know I am.

Mitch do you mind if I like your final 53 on my final 53 ? It will be good for comparisons. Plus nothing says, "Half crazed Cardinals fan with too much time" like debating who is going to be the 5th WR. LOL

By all means Rugby and everyone interested...put your picks up to mine and let's see where they coincide and where they differ. That's the fun of this!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice bit of analysis by Mitch modified by Cardiac's comments. In addition to Cardiac's take on BA's positive comments about Ryan Williams, I think it would be risky for us to go into the season with just 3 RB's (given durability/shelf-life concerns of ballcarriers in general).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So many things can happen between now and even the start of training camp so your prediction is as good as any so I wont comment on that part.

What I do have to comment on is the above quote. What in their past would suggest such a thing?

In the NFL between the two of them - 7 years - 93 games - 0 Sacks - 7 QBH's

Ray Horton last year had Reggie Walker rushing from the left edge a few times and I have to say Joe he went after it---he showed some burst and strength.

As for Brinkley, this is pure speculation on my part---I just remember when I was watching his tapes at South Carolina (he was a player i had in a couple of my mock drafts for the Cardinals that year) that on the few occasions where they lined him up on the outside and he blitzed, he looked impressive.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Teams are in nickel, what, 40 percent of the time?

Powers-Peterson-Cason-Matthieu-Bell

Dansby-Washington

Campbell-Dockett-Williams-Shaunessy

Could be pretty darn good . . .

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I dont believe anyone would give us compensation for williams, he will make the team or be cut. Obscho either.

I think theyll both make the team.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Williams if he's low on the depth chart on a team that likes to play 3 down RBs.

I think that if teams know he's healthy and not a system fit in AZ, he will garner some interest...like a swap of players on the roster cut to 53.

Schofield O'Brien too has to show that he's healthy and I think the Broncos whom we play in the pre-season would like him for their system, as they like smaller, faster edge players.

The problem for us with Sco is that he's too small to rush from the DE spot in the 4 man rush. What he has to hope for is to be the two-down WOLB, and he's got a good chance to earn that role if he can beat out Alexander and Okafor.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'd be a but sad to Byrd go, really impressed me last preseason.

No way Williams has any trade value at this point.

I may be totally wrong about Byrd. i really like him too. But, my hunch tells me that BA wants to load up with speed guys.

I've been wondering if BA could use Byrd in an H-back role---if so, I like his chances. Byrd is a strong and willing blocker and is a good target up the seams or over the middle.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I might be completely naive but I actually think Korey Jones could make the roster. He is very athletic and could potentially play several linebacker-spots and special teams. I have no idea who he could push away from the roster, as I believe they have a lot of talented players in place, but he is one of maybe a handful of the undrafted free agents I could see surprise us all.

What makes you think Kelemete might get a chance to play center? He never tried it in college. If he could do it the interior offensive line could potentially be set for years.

Last note, I think Javon Harris might take up a spot on the practice squad. He can play both as the deep safety and up in the box. As you mentioned, there could easily be a need at safety, if nothing else then in the future, so they might want to groom Harris.

I hear you on Korey Jones---for example, he could at some point be an excellent choice for "spy" on Wilson and Kaepernick. And I think he is going to make some noise on STs.

But I also realize that with the number of LBers on one year deals, they may try to stash him on the PS for a year.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the 3rd QB at this point. I agree that Edge Rusher is a need, appears the only real hole on the roster at this point. Safety and TE need an infusion of talent but aren't a weakness.

I'm not worried about NT but I get why you have it listed. Does Dumpster Dan keep his weight in check and improve his pass rush abilities, at least enough to push the pocket back? He does have great sideline to sideline ability so I think he will fit TB's scheme very well. Padric Scott apears to have the athleticism to play NT in this scheme as well.

Cardiac, I am not so sure that SK was the guy who pushed for Lindley. Plus, he was a 6th round pick, so it's not like it's that huge of an investment.

When it comes to QBs, SK is going to let BA and TM make the decisions.

Yes, when BA was hired he said he really liked fellow Hokie, Ryan Williams. But since then BA has signed Mendenhall and drafted Taylor and Elington. And all three are better fits as 3 down RBs, that is unless Williams suddenly can pass protect and bang it hard two-three plays in a row between the tackles.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Would this represent the slowest OLB group in the NFL? They'll be exposed in coverage. On top of that one is going to have to surprise to be the impact pass rusher this team needs.:sad:

It's one of the reasons, HotSauce, that I think we will see much more of the 43 than the 34.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Good read Mitch.Disagree about a few picks.
I think 4 RBs instead of 3.Williams or Powell stay.
8 O-Line instead of 9.Rachal or Kelemente go.
3 TEs King,Housler,Jefferson stay. Auffray PS at best.

PS
Johnson-Webb T-G
Caprioglio T-G
Shaw WR
Bice C-G
Demens LB
K.Jones LB
J. Hill CB
waiver pickup from other cuts.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardiac, I am not so sure that SK was the guy who pushed for Lindley. Plus, he was a 6th round pick, so it's not like it's that huge of an investment.

I don't know if SK wanted Lindley or not either. Thing is SK said he wants to typically take a QB every draft and yet even with extra picks from trading back the Cards didn't take one. Maybe they truly didn't like any available this year or maybe SK thinks enough of Lindley that he wants BA to have a chance to work with him.

When it comes to QBs, SK is going to let BA and TM make the decisions.

Well this may be the case but SK isn't shy and does have the final say so.

Yes, when BA was hired he said he really liked fellow Hokie, Ryan Williams. But since then BA has signed Mendenhall and drafted Taylor and Elington. And all three are better fits as 3 down RBs, that is unless Williams suddenly can pass protect and bang it hard two-three plays in a row between the tackles.

Mendenhall is coming of an injury himself. I wanted the Cards to draft a RB in 2012 because of Williams and Wells injury history and as it turns out we should have. Powell is okayish for a 4th string RB and Smith is.........well Smith. Hyphen was a good change of pace RB but not at all what BA wants because he proved he couldn't be a 3 down back for more than a couple of games a season.

I was a little suprised we took a 2nd RB in this draft but it does make sense based on BPA and the need to infuse some talent at the position. Taylor has proven to be durable in college, a ton of touches with strong results so he is the injury insurance we needed. Ellington has more giddy up and was sticking out like a sore thumb on the draft board in the 6th rd.

I also believe BA had scouted Williams and already had a high opinion of him. So maybe when he reviewed game tape he was dissapointed in how Williams played and as you stated wanted to cover his bases by bringing in 3 RB's. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Thing is I have a soft spot for Williams because he flashed huge talent during his rookie training camp and early preseason game chances. There was a lot of buzz about him and you could tell his teammates were bummed out BIG time when he was injured. Almost the reaction you would expect if Fitz had gone down.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've already given up on Williams. He'll have to show flashes of greatness this year for me to care. He joins a long line of players who showed "flashes" in college and training camp and preseason games but just couldn't hold up in the NFL. I wasn't even impressed with him last year when he was still healthy. Running outside and then cutting in and fumbling was just idiotic last year. Don't care about his injuries, his mind isn't even NFL caliber at this point, so he has a long LONG way to go. Little sweetness. Please. Seriously, just please stop.

(Edit: too bad we didn't care this much about Garrison Hearst, an actual badass)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard