4th and 2 - Go For It!!!

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
Was at my annual Cards game in St. Louis yesterday, and when the 3rd and 2 wheel route didn't work, I was begging BA to go for it.

Every Cardinals fan on planet Earth knew that once we punted the ball away, it was game over. You could feel it in the stadium, the Rams were going to easily go down the field and kick the winner.

If we can't get 2 yards in 2 plays, we deserve to lose anyway. Also, if we don't get it, perhaps they kick earlier and at least we have more time to try and tie the game.

It felt like we were giving up at that point, imo.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way the wheel route call made sense to me is if we were going for it on fourth down.

I also saw the game as over when we didn't convert. No way we can give the ball back there.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I pretty much said the same thing in the game day thread. However, if Feely hits the field goal before halftime we aren't talking about this..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a little surprised we didn't go for it there, especially with the longest leg in the league on the other side of the field, in a dome, at home.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a little surprised we didn't go for it there, especially with the longest leg in the league on the other side of the field, in a dome, at home.

Which is exactly why you don't go for it there!

:doi:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is exactly why you don't go for it there!

:doi:

On the contrary, you do. You need to keep it out of their hands at the end of the game at all costs, and bleed the clock. You can't stop their TE, and their kicker can make it from midfield.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, you do. You need to keep it out of their hands at the end of the game at all costs, and bleed the clock. You can't stop their TE, and their kicker can make it from midfield.

So you want to potentially give the ball to the Rams on our 40 yard line where thier kicker was making Field goals from in warm ups? No coach in the NFL would do that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want to potentially give the ball to the Rams on our 40 yard line where thier kicker was making Field goals from in warm ups? No coach in the NFL would do that.

No, I pick up the first down and salt the game away. If you don't pick it up, ok...if you had punted you just would have put them on the 20, where they need 40 yards to pick up exactly where you were before (and a PR from being there immediately), and let them quickly march some more with their two timeouts, and kick. The minute we punted, I don't think there was much doubt they would be scoring on a FG...only question left was whether we'd have any time left to try for a last gasp.

Not saying it is a gimmie decision, but I don't find it all that risky. Superleg is going to make it anyway, and when you can't stop their TE, they will just force feed him to get in FG range. Kind of a lose/lose scenario...so might as well take the one chance at the win.

One of the few teams in the league where their kicker is a HUGE weapon...because he changes field philosophy. If they had Jay Feely? Well hell no, they got to get to the 30 and even then it's not a gimmie.

OP
OP
denverbirdfan

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score

It wasn't a question of IF the rams were going to make a field goal, it was when.

If you punt: game over with no time for tieing drive, as the Rams eat clock moving down the field with ease

If you go for it and get it: chance to win

If you go for it and don't get it: Rams kick with at least time for a tieing drive.

I like the second two options much more than the first. Be aggressive and try to win. You have Larry Fitz. You only need two yards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a question of IF the rams were going to make a field goal, it was when.

If you punt: game over with no time for tieing drive, as the Rams eat clock moving down the field with ease

If you go for it and don't get it: Rams kick with at least time for a tieing drive.

I like the second two options much more than the first. Be aggressive and try to win. You have Larry Fitz. You only need two yards.

But you guys are completely assuming stuff that wasn't in evidence at the time. If Austin doesn't make a great play, they're down on like the 2-3 yard line and need to go much further to get in FG range.

Last time they're down there we scored. I liked the 3rd down call, I liked the punt, Zastudil did his job, but Tavon Austin made a GREAT play for a rookie return guy and saved the Rams about 18 yards there.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is total non-sense. Just because you punt doesn't mean they are going to drive the field. Hell the series before the Cardinals defense held the Rams to a 3 and out. You never go for it on 4th down in a tie game where you would give the opposing team the ball in scoring position if you don't convert. NEVER!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you guys are completely assuming stuff that wasn't in evidence at the time. If Austin doesn't make a great play, they're down on like the 2-3 yard line and need to go much further to get in FG range.

Last time they're down there we scored. I liked the 3rd down call, I liked the punt, Zastudil did his job, but Tavon Austin made a GREAT play for a rookie return guy and saved the Rams about 18 yards there.

He never touched the ball but I think that was the best play the rookie WR had all day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He never touched the ball but I think that was the best play the rookie WR had all day.

Yep, I was impressed with that play. Frankly the guy did almost nothing all day(I have him on a fantasy team) but rather than pout or get frustrated he kept his head in the game and made one of the biggest plays of the game there.

If he just steps aside, we probably down that on the 2 yard line. Huge play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That is total non-sense. Just because you punt doesn't mean they are going to drive the field. Hell the series before the Cardinals defense held the Rams to a 3 and out. You never go for it on 4th down in a tie game where you would give the opposing team the ball in scoring position if you don't convert. NEVER!

I agree. If you don't have the defense to stop them then you deserve to lose. Of course in the NFL it's like it is against the rules to play defense in the last two minutes of a game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. If you don't have the defense to stop them then you deserve to lose. Of course in the NFL it's like it is against the rules to play defense in the last two minutes of a game.

yeah, if Arians had gone for it there, I would have pretty much thought he was a complete and utter idiot.

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score

This assumes that the Rams don't score a TD or can't pick up a 1st down or two and run down the clock.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You guys wanting to go for it or loco & need your heads examined. Other than the time Bellicheat did it, nobody does that! Btw he lost & was chastised after he did it.

:doi::doi::doi::doi::doi::doi::doi:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like ballsy plays. These are the Cardinals...of course we're going to lose when we punt there. Only chance is to catch the football gods napping. Hell, once they fell asleep for almost an entire playoffs...but woke up with a couple of minutes left.

and yes, that was Austin's best play of the day.

OP
OP
denverbirdfan

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
I like ballsy plays. These are the Cardinals...of course we're going to lose when we punt there. Only chance is to catch the football gods napping. Hell, once they fell asleep for almost an entire playoffs...but woke up with a couple of minutes left.

and yes, that was Austin's best play of the day.

couldn't agree more!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard