2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shout out to JJ Redick on giving Mikal his flowers defensively. I love the way he describes Bridges as an anchor on defense even though some counting stats may not show his full impact. He should be first team all-defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 76ers beat the Grizzlies in overtime 122-119 but not without a Ja Morant highlight play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shout out to JJ Redick on giving Mikal his flowers defensively. I love the way he describes Bridges as an anchor on defense even though some counting stats may not show his full impact. He should be first team all-defense.

I think because the Suns switch a lot on defense, Bridge's defensive play sometimes gets lost in the action.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I could see an argument for a no-call, but not sure what would prompt an offensive foul on this.

I'm obviously happy with how the team is doing, but could you imagine if we got a little bit lucky and had a shot at Ja in 2019?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
By definition, the defender has to be stationary. He wasn't even close. Even if Ja pushed off, and he didn't, it would be a questionable offensive foul.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
By definition, the defender has to be stationary. He wasn't even close. Even if Ja pushed off, and he didn't, it would be a questionable offensive foul.
Stationary on the ground, but there's some verbiage around verticality and what is/isn't allowed. That may be exactly what you were implying, just clarifying in case that wasn't.

Source: https://official.nba.com/nba-rule-authority-restricted-area-and-verticality-plays/

The defender is allowed to jump straight up or jump backward, but turning is not ok. Drummond here is almost legally jumping back at first glance, but in the replay it's clear he's jumping across Ja's driving angle.

For the record, the call was challenged and upheld.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Ja but he’s going to be one of those guys that’s always in and out if the lineup because of the way he plays. Dude is second on the team in rebounding.

He skies so high. It's always something I worry about when I see him play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stationary on the ground, but there's some verbiage around verticality and what is/isn't allowed. That may be exactly what you were implying, just clarifying in case that wasn't.

Source: https://official.nba.com/nba-rule-authority-restricted-area-and-verticality-plays/

The defender is allowed to jump straight up or jump backward, but turning is not ok. Drummond here is almost legally jumping back at first glance, but in the replay it's clear he's jumping across Ja's driving angle.

Yeah he definitely wasn't jumping straight up. His body position was actually really good he was just jumping right instead of up.

Plus, Ja vs. Drummond. Yeah, we know who would get the benefit of the doubt in that matchup.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draymond gets away with stuff all the time. Looks like the ref had his mind made up to give Drummond the foul. Should have been a no-call

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draymond gets away with stuff all the time. Looks like the ref had his mind made up to give Drummond the foul. Should have been a no-call

I stopped it upon initial contact and to me it looked like Drummond got him on the arm.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup. Because he was drifting sideways that’s a block and not offensive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested in Rising Stars roster.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
On a back to back, Kerr rests Curry, Thompson and Wiggins. Wonder if Phoenix will do the same to get some rest for the heavy minutes guys in the future.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a back to back, Kerr rests Curry, Thompson and Wiggins. Wonder if Phoenix will do the same to get some rest for the heavy minutes guys in the future.
I am starting to fear Monty riding CP3 into the ground.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IIRC, Monty didn't rest Paul and Booker until the final game of last season against the Spurs.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
IIRC, Monty didn't rest Paul and Booker until the final game of last season against the Spurs.
Yup, there was a lot of emphasis last year of controlling their own destiny, so the fought until the last game which IIRC could have still impacted the final seeding.

Either way they need to get a point where they're confident enough in their players to get rest for the key guys and potentially sacrifice some wins.

Pop used to do it strategically too where he'd rest key guys against likely opponents, or at least that's what I remembered

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, there was a lot of emphasis last year of controlling their own destiny, so the fought until the last game which IIRC could have still impacted the final seeding.

Either way they need to get a point where they're confident enough in their players to get rest for the key guys and potentially sacrifice some wins.

Pop used to do it strategically too where he'd rest key guys against likely opponents, or at least that's what I remembered

IMO, it all comes down to adding another consistent guard to rest Paul and Booker periodically.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And it winds up being the best win of the season. In addition to those 3, no Draymond, no Iggy, no Porter no Bjelica. 9 players total to play, Looney the only starter. They're down 17 in the 4th Q and then GP 2 and Kuminga take over, GP didn't score a point but had 4 steals, 3 of them just taking the dribble away. The bummer was on the 4th one he rolled an ankle and had to go to the lockerroom, hopefully he's ok. They had Kuminga, Lee, Quindary Weatherspoon, Chris Chiozza, and GP2. Eventually Poole and Moody came in for Payton and Chiozza. They got all the way back and won by 4, 35-16 in the 4th quarter.

I am not a Moody guy I wanted Chris Duarte who went the pick before, but this was a great game by Moody, 20 7 boards 6 threes and he was on the floor diving for loose balls over and over, really impressive game. And my guy Kuminga had a terrible first 3 and then took over in the 4th. He's obviously not the ball handler or the passer but when he goes to the rim he reminds me of LeBron, he just is so big and fast he is like a boat he creates a wake as he drives in, if he gets a millimeter of his shoulder past someone they can't recover he's so strong. 19, inconsistent but man that kid is going to be legit.

Hoping GP2 is ok he really started the whole run on defense he's just amazing he was stealing the ball, getting deflections, closing out on 3's. 5 steals in 17 minutes.

Jordan Poole hit the go ahead 3 really proud of him Klay coming back could have been a big blow to his ego but he's handled it well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson