2020 Free Agents - How do we fill this roster? Who do you want?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the only way it happens is if DJ takes a paycut. Even though its guaranteed...he can still agree to less.

It all depends on what DJ wants to do.

Happy being a back-up - stay with the Cardinals another year and collect your 10m.
Actually want a chance to start and get your career back on track - take a paycut/restructure that allows yourself to be traded to a better situation.
Or collect your $10 million as a backup, save a year of wear and tear on your body. If you want to "play" again at that point take a pay cut in the form of a 1yr prove it deal and bet on yourself. I can't imagine any football player, especially a 28yr old RB giving up any amount of money.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Maybe we agree to take Cameron Brate back? They have OJ Howard and Brate is set to make 6+ million a year for the next 4 years.

David Njoku may be available for trade as well. He came back from injury and was in the doghouse/inactive for the rest of the season so far.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Regardless of whether he is or not, we still have to pay him. I think he will be our starter, but he's either going to get $14 million or whatever while franchised, or a $30-$35 million signing bonus (or whatever he gets, I don't want to nitpick those numbers in this thread). For all intents and purposes, we do not have a starting Left Tackle signed to play in 2020 yet. So that is going to bite a chunk out of the cap number everyone is so excited about.

Edit: My point is, people are acting like we get $77 million plus DJ, when we get $77 million minus whatever DJ costs, with other positions that absolutely must be addressed.
The cap does go up next season. I've heard figures ranging from 8-12 million per team. If you go high end on that (12 million cap raise) & we tag DJ (14 million) then that definitely helps.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The cap does go up next season. I've heard figures ranging from 8-12 million per team. If you go high end on that (12 million cap raise) & we tag DJ (14 million) then that definitely helps.
I get that it goes up, but it goes up for everyone, which basically means contracts will just go up by that same percentage across the board, not that we can suddenly afford another player.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What about offering DJ and a 5th round pick to Tampa Bay for Cameron Brate?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What about offering DJ and a 5th round pick to Tampa Bay for Cameron Brate?

We'd be trading a $10.2m salary for $6m in return and control Brate for 3 or 4 seasons at relatively the same annual cost. Cards would also have to account for a $6m dead money CAP charge in 2020. Could work if the additional 5rh is deemed sufficient.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We'd be trading a $10.2m salary for $6m in return and control Brate for 3 or 4 seasons at relatively the same annual cost. Cards would also have to account for a $6m dead money CAP charge in 2020. Could work if the additional 5rh is deemed sufficient.
Why do we want to pay Brate $6 million a year and if TBay want to get his salary off the books, why wouldn't they just cut him, there is no dead money?
https://overthecap.com/player/cameron-brate/3770/

Why are so many convinced that BA wants to spend $10 million on a player that either no longer wants to play football or is too big and has lost more then a step? Why wouldn't BA just sign a guy like Drake, who is clearly the better player, for $6-7 million?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why do we want to pay Brate $6 million a year and if TBay want to get his salary off the books, why wouldn't they just cut him, there is no dead money?

Why are so many convinced that BA wants to spend $10 million on a player that either no longer wants to play football or is too big and has lost more then a step? Why wouldn't BA just sign a guy like Drake, who is clearly the better player, for $6-7 million?

I don’t know about “clearly the better player,” as I think BA could really pull off a resurrection for DJ, and I think Drake is... good. But a DJ used in the right offense would be a clear upgrade to what Tampa has at the moment.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was merely suggesting the parameters of the earlier suggestion. I have no idea as to the mindset and objectives of any of the principals, something wr share.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don’t know about “clearly the better player,” as I think BA could really pull off a resurrection for DJ, and I think Drake is... good. But a DJ used in the right offense would be a clear upgrade to what Tampa has at the moment.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I have a feeling Solar about DJ, he simply is not into football anymore and is more interested in what his family has to say about life after football, which means he has no real incentive to be a NFL running back because that position requires one to be aggressive. Even with the money, I would not be shocked if he retired if he had to relocate with his family to any other team other than Tampa where he has some comfort with Arians who might still believe in him under the pretext of his past experience with him as a coach... he just seems to be very lax about everything in general

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have a feeling Solar about DJ, he simply is not into football anymore and is more interested in what his family has to say about life after football, which means he has no real incentive to be a NFL running back because that position requires one to be aggressive. Even with the money, I would not be shocked if he retired if he had to relocate with his family to any other team other than Tampa where he has some comfort with Arians who might still believe in him under the pretext of his past experience with him as a coach... he just seems to be very lax about everything in general
I would personally be the same way, haha. I'd retire after this contract, but I'd stick around for the guaranteed $10 million. He and his family are set up for life/generations.

I still think DJ cares more than some here do, but it's because I really like him as a person. That doesn't help us win games, I know, but I'm not as excited about shedding him for a Kenyan Drake or other FA.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get that it goes up, but it goes up for everyone, which basically means contracts will just go up by that same percentage across the board, not that we can suddenly afford another player.
I know they go up for everyone. I was just pointing out that a DJ franchise tag, could possibly be covered by an expanded salary cap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard