2020 Free Agents - How do we fill this roster? Who do you want?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would trade David Johnson to Tampa Bay for a 6th round pick.

I would franchise DJ Humphries and sign Drake to a 3 year/20 million deal with 12 guaranteed.

I would sign Jack Conklin, Chris Jones, and Bud Dupree as my 3 main FA targets.

I would draft Isiah Simmons, Raekwon Davis, and Creed Humphry on the first 2 days (ILB, DL, OC)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I would franchise DJ Humphries and sign Drake to a 3 year/20 million deal with 12 guaranteed.

I would draft Isiah Simmons, Raekwon Davis, and Creed Humphry on the first 2 days (ILB, DL, OC)

Dude nobody is giving draft capital for DJ. If we attach a late pick or young player we might be able to shed him. Given Keim’s bullish remarks regarding Drake I could see him going that route.

Everything else looks good...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We would have to offer DJ AND a 6th round in return for a 7 th round.
I agree tagging Humphries unless he gave us a hometown discount. Remember tagging him is a 15m gaurantee. I agree with Drake but it might take a little more. I also want Fitz.

Tagging Humphries will eliminate your Conklin idea and I don’t think Jones and Dupree will be available.

I lean toward Littleton from the Rams. I don’t think the Rams can afford him. If we were to go out on a limb maybe we could consider Robby Anderson at wr.

Now we are free to draft bpa. The way everyone is talking up Isiah Simmons I’ll roll with that.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Give me an average pass rush/elite secondary over elite pass rush/average.

You can scheme up a quick passing game against an elite pass rush. Much harder to do it against elite coverage.

If those pass rushers were one dimensional players then I’d agree. The Colts had Freeney/Mathis but could never stop the run.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah! I'm sure Bruce and Co. are champing at the opportunity to pick up DJ's contract.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah! I'm sure Bruce and Co. are champing at the opportunity to pick up DJ's contract.
I’d say it’s possible but the cards would have to add a 5th and receive a 7 th in return. The Bucs can always redo DJ’s contract and he’d probably be open to that to get out of Arizona.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We might be able to make it work...and if we have to attach something we can. DJ was the centerpiece of BA's offense, and honestly doesn't have that many miles on his legs since the last time he was great. BA has to think he could make him good again.

Plus, its not THAT horrible of a deal for Tampa. They could redo DJ's deal now, while he is at his lowest value, and spread that money out over a couple more years. If he won't redo it, then they can get out of it after 1 year.

Tampa has ZERO at RB, a QB that turns it over at historic levels, and they still managed to have a decent season. I think BA can sell the idea that with DJ they could be a playoff team next year.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe we agree to take Cameron Brate back? They have OJ Howard and Brate is set to make 6+ million a year for the next 4 years.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d say it’s possible but the cards would have to add a 5th and receive a 7 th in return. The Bucs can always redo DJ’s contract and he’d probably be open to that to get out of Arizona.

Why would he redo a contract that is already guaranteed in 2020?

(and whatever arrangement he makes going forward does get the Cards off the hook for the CAP hit.)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he redo a contract that is already guaranteed in 2020?

(and whatever arrangement he makes going forward does get the Cards off the hook for the CAP hit.)
Because he would get additional money. Instead of his 10 m he could get 15 over the next three. Of course he could say no, make his 10 m and become a free agent in 2021 or retire.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We might be able to make it work...and if we have to attach something we can. DJ was the centerpiece of BA's offense, and honestly doesn't have that many miles on his legs since the last time he was great. BA has to think he could make him good again.

Plus, its not THAT horrible of a deal for Tampa. They could redo DJ's deal now, while he is at his lowest value, and spread that money out over a couple more years. If he won't redo it, then they can get out of it after 1 year.

Tampa has ZERO at RB, a QB that turns it over at historic levels, and they still managed to have a decent season. I think BA can sell the idea that with DJ they could be a playoff team next year.

You should take a moment to actually read the contract!

His $10.2m salary for 2020 is already guaranteed and I have a hard time imaging TB taking that on.

https://overthecap.com/player/david-johnson/3934/

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he would get additional money. Instead of his 10 m he could get 15 over the next three. Of course he could say no, make his 10 m and become a free agent in 2021 or retire.

This is a business and I'll take my $10m upfront, thank you - and bet on myself going forward.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Just find a way to get rid of DJ. The guy runs and blocks like a driver who is texting. If you have to add a fourth round pick to the mix to make it happen, then that's what you do. DJ is a great guy, but not a guy I want now if winning is the objective. If he goes somewhere else and becomes dynamic, then good for him because he's a great guy but the current situation here for years is a wasted roster spot which is eating our cap

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a business and I'll take my $10m upfront, thank you - and bet on myself going forward.
The 10 m would still be gauranteed. Just restructured. 5 m salary 5 m bonus and add a couple of years to lower the teams cap hit over three years.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 10 m would still be gauranteed. Just restructured. 5 m salary 5 m bonus and add a couple of years to lower the teams cap hit over three years.

Understand your point but he isn't going to take a beating for an extra 2 seasons for $5m.

How do we get $10.2m off the books (with a $6m CAP hit) is the creative dilemma? The Cards will have to pay the price in draft pick(s) with real value and possibly take back a contract.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Understand your point but he isn't going to take a beating for an extra 2 seasons for $5m.
He hasn't taken a beating for 3 out of the last 4 years, so that isn't much to worry about. :D

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just find a way to get rid of DJ. The guy runs and blocks like a driver who is texting. If you have to add a fourth round pick to the mix to make it happen, then that's what you do. DJ is a great guy, but not a guy I want now if winning is the objective. If he goes somewhere else and becomes dynamic, then good for him because he's a great guy but the current situation here for years is a wasted roster spot which is eating our cap
If you can see DJ is "not a guy I want now if winning is the objective", then why would any team in the NFL pay him $10 million dollars next year to be on their roster. Wouldn't your observation make him untradable?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why are teams adding years and money to his already bad contract?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we are stuck with him and the bad contract, use him as a pass catching back, which he's still pretty good at him, and get what you can out of him. He seems like a good guy and good teammate.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If you can see DJ for is "not a guy I want now if winning is the objective", then why would any team in the NFL pay him $10 million dollars next year to be on their roster. Wouldn't your observation make him untradable?

Find a sucker. I heard Dan Synder is still in Washington and Guise can't seem to stay on the field, while the Browns though they have Chubb are still the Browns, Arians and his 'I'll show you" loyalty is in Tampa, while Keim is in Arizona and might not be able to retain Drake... wait, Keim is our GM lol

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found myself rapping to this.lol
Find a sucker. I heard Dan Synder is still in Washington and Guise can't seem to stay on the field, while the Browns though they have Chubb are still the Browns, Arrians and his 'I'll show you" loyalty is in Tampa, while Keim is in Arizona and might not be able to retain Drake... wait, Keim is our GM lol
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are teams adding years and money to his already bad contract?

This is all based on a theory that BA is certain he could resurrect DJ’s career. I wouldn’t do it but conjecture is BA might be the one guy who would consider it. Personally I think we are stuck with him.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

How do we get $10.2m off the books (with a $6m CAP hit) is the creative dilemma? The Cards will have to pay the price in draft pick(s) with real value and possibly take back a contract.

I think the only way it happens is if DJ takes a paycut. Even though its guaranteed...he can still agree to less.

It all depends on what DJ wants to do.

Happy being a back-up - stay with the Cardinals another year and collect your 10m.
Actually want a chance to start and get your career back on track - take a paycut/restructure that allows yourself to be traded to a better situation.