2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's just it, he can't shoot, and he's not much of a passer. Those are kind of requirements to run our .5 offense.

Just saying I would think the Suns would be far more interested in Vassell, Nesmith, and even Sadiq Bey for our offense.

On this we agree. Okoro is not there yet. Maybe the Suns are simply doing their homework.

If I had an inclination, I'd prefer the Suns draft a point guard or a power forward if the right one is there. Of course if the Suns trade Oubre, they might decide to add a wing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kept waiting for Archie Goodwin and it never happened. The same with Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis.

and Jalen Leque and Ben Simmons and many more.

Some players improve their shooting from bad to good. Most don't. You have to remember most guards/wings have been shooting since they were 10 years old, if they still can't shoot well by the time they are 20 they likely never will.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why do you say he’s not much of a passer?

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/17/isaac-okoro-scouting-report-2/

Really good passer for a wing…and it’s a shame Auburn didn’t use him more as a creator, because he had really nice flashes. Quick decision-maker who can react quickly to closing defenders and a good (and quick) swing passer. Good accuracy on passes, with the ability to hit all areas of the court with bounce passes, over-the-top / lead passes, and flashed some really nice live-action passes…though it was not something he did often, when it did, it looked very natural and popped bigtime. More comfortable passing out to the perimeter than on the interior. Good drive and kick passer, drive and drop-off passer, etc. Does a nice job getting the defenders to commit to him downhill before making the pass to the open pass…but also prone to not making a pass until it’s just a bit too late, leading to tipped passes and turnovers – would like to see him improve moving from his handle to a pass, though he is still solid here. I do not think he has elite vision, but does a nice job reading the defense and knowing where the open man is going to be because of it – for example, if he knows the help is coming in from the top of the key, he’ll pass it back; if he sees the help coming from a corner, he’ll pass it there; etc. Pretty accurate on passes, but passes into the low post / high post need work on his touch – can overshoot his man, leading to turnovers.
He sounds like draymond green.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not as long, or thick, but cut from similar cloth. Smart hard worker that makes things easier on stars.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I don't think he's the most athletic player but I think he's got enough that it won't hinder him. Did you read the ringer article and see the clips?
I don't believe I read the article, however I did watch him play a few full games. There's certainly something there that suggests he can overcome his dearth of athleticism.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
When I was watching the NBA prospects on ESPN they said he was one of the best defensive players in the draft, if not the best.

There are questions about his shooting so this is a bit of a turnoff. Obviously a lot of people who like him as almost every mock has him going in the top 10.
I haven't scouted all the prospects, but Bolmaro stood out to me as the best defender with top 20 offensive talent. I'd much rather have him than Okoro. I think the analysis on his defense is purely based on potential. His film doesn't show elite level defensive prowess (in comparison I liked the defensive film on De'Aaron Fox much better).

Honestly, in all the film I watched on Okoro I never saw anything that made me want to take him. At best he reminds me of Iggy coming out of Arizona. But that's the absolute best comp I can come up with. I just don't see it with him.

I'd much rather have Oturu in the 2nd than Okoro in the 1st.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't scouted all the prospects, but Bolmaro stood out to me as the best defender with top 20 offensive talent. I'd much rather have him than Okoro. I think the analysis on his defense is purely based on potential. His film doesn't show elite level defensive prowess (in comparison I liked the defensive film on De'Aaron Fox much better).

Honestly, in all the film I watched on Okoro I never saw anything that made me want to take him. At best he reminds me of Iggy coming out of Arizona. But that's the absolute best comp I can come up with. I just don't see it with him.

Iggy coming out of Arizona is a good comparison. I would much rather have that than Terry, who reminds me more of Gabe York coming out of Arizona.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/9/21555854/tyrell-terry-nba-draft-lottery

If I could embed the clip I would. I know he hasn't had a great freshman year of college but he has a good foundation and is showing a willingness to work. I would rather take a chance on that makeup.
Are those 9 foot rims!?!

Okay, yeah, that isn't the young man I watched play at Stanford. That video would certainly give me pause. If he's gained some hop and explosiveness AND strength we might be talking about a whole different prospect.

His workout with teams might be the most important workout for any 1st round prospect in this draft.

Edit: BTW, thanks for reposting the article for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Okoro was one of the players I didn't do a draft thread on. I've seen some video on him but not much. I didn't think the Suns would be interested in a 6' 6" small forward that wasn't an outstanding shooter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those 9 foot rims!?!

Okay, yeah, that isn't the young man I watched play at Stanford. That video would certainly give me pause. If he's gained some hop and explosiveness AND strength we might be talking about a whole different prospect.

His workout with teams might be the most important workout for any 1st round prospect in this draft.

Edit: BTW, thanks for reposting the article for me.

Yeah the offseason workouts and reports have had me interested for a few weeks now, prior to that I just thought he was a nice college player with a limited pro future. It's always risky to put too much stock in workout videos and trainer praise but he looks like a different player in very key respects.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Okoro was one of the players I didn't do a draft thread on. I've seen some video on him but not much. I didn't think the Suns would be interested in a 6' 6" small forward that wasn't an outstanding shooter.

They will if Oubre bounces.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will if Oubre bounces.

Okoro is down to number 9 in the current Tankathon mock.

If Killian Hayes is there at 10 as projected, I think he may be the pick. Of course I think Okobo is from France.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The player I'd really like to move up for in this draft is Onyeka Okongwu and not just because we could have a blast misspelling his name. IMO, 5 years from now, he has the best chance to be the dominant player from this class. It's a gamble putting him and Ayton out there together but I think it's worth the risk.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Okungwu is the best player in this class a lot of the time. Should go #1 easily.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The player I'd really like to move up for in this draft is Onyeka Okongwu and not just because we could have a blast misspelling his name. IMO, 5 years from now, he has the best chance to be the dominant player from this class. It's a gamble putting him and Ayton out there together but I think it's worth the risk.
I love Okongwu and think that he is going to be a stud in this league, but not only do I have apprehensions about his fit next to Ayton, but also his fit in the offense that Monty runs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Okongwu and think that he is going to be a stud in this league, but not only do I have apprehensions about his fit next to Ayton, but also his fit in the offense that Monty runs.

Yeah I have some concerns there too but it centers partly around our point guard. If we can get a good scoring point guard I think we can pair the two big men without sacrificing spacing too much. And with two young big men, you can get way with offsetting their playing time enough to survive the offensive challenges the two of them together might present (for a year or two, anyway).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to see how the Suns could move up to draft him. The break-off in the draft seems to be number 7 with Patrick Williams going to the Knicks. It's hard to see Okongwu going later than 6. Why can't this be the 2019 draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see how the Suns could move up to draft him. The break-off in the draft seems to be number 7 with Patrick Williams going to the Knicks. It's hard to see Okongwu going later than 6. Why can't this be the 2019 draft.

Maybe. I wouldn't want to break the bank to make it happen but Oubre and the number 2 pick might (?) let us move up 4 or 5 spots should he fall to that range. But it's quite possible he goes in the top 3 and if that's the case, we're likely out of luck.