2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By whom? I certainly heard nothing like that about Chriss here or on RGM or the two Facebook Suns sites I frequented that season. Willie Cauley-Stein would have been a much better comparison given all the videos out there demonstrating how he'd remade his game but even still, it's irrelevant. This is a unique off-season and it's much easier to believe that someone has remade their body this year than usual.

Despite your negative review of him, Terry has a lot of supporters when it comes to his basketball IQ, passing ability and shooting skills. The concerns about him typically centered around his size, strength and athleticism. His height will always be somewhat of an issue but he's gone a gone a long way toward satisfying most of those concerns AFAIC.

Terry has already won the basketball IQ battle.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyrell Terry isn't going to go in the top 10 but he has some traits that will make him good. He can shoot with range, has an incredibly quick release and can get to the rim. There is no reason he can't be a good passer as well.

He's already a good passer but his height could potentially be a small problem especially if he's playing in the wrong system. And don't be so sure he's not going in the top 10. I think we'll see a lot of surprises in the top 15 this season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's already a good passer but his height could potentially be a small problem especially if he's playing in the wrong system. And don't be so sure he's not going in the top 10. I think we'll see a lot of surprises in the top 15 this season.

If you have neither size, nor strength, nor speed, nor athleticism for your position, you need to be a generational player in terms of other skills along the lines of Steve Nash or Stephen Curry in order to succeed in the NBA. Tyrell Terry hasn't shown anything close to what Nash (carried his team to NCAA Tournament wins in consecutive years) and Curry (carried his team to the Elite Eight and almost to the Final Four) had shown going into their respective drafts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you have neither size, nor strength, nor speed, nor athleticism for your position, you need to be a generational player in terms of other skills along the lines of Steve Nash or Stephen Curry in order to succeed in the NBA. Tyrell Terry hasn't shown anything close to what Nash (carried his team to NCAA Tournament wins in consecutive years) and Curry (carried his team to the Elite Eight and almost to the Final Four) had shown going into their respective drafts.
This is disingenuous at best. He may not be Steve Nash at this point, but you can't compare NCAA tournament appearances and wins when one of the two guys you're comparing never even had the chance to go to the tournament.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ Martin could be a steal in the draft or as a free agent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have had at least two Zoom meetings with Kira Lewis Jr.

Maybe something more?

By Kellan Olson Arizona Sports:

Alabama point guard Kira Lewis Jr. has had at least two Zoom meetings with the Suns, per SNY’s Ian Begley.

In some fun social media investigating, Suns head coach Monty Williams was at Alabama A&M University, visiting his daughter who plays volleyball there. Williams responded to a comment on his Instagram post saying this was actually a draft trip, which begs the question of who he was going to see.

https://arizonasports.com/story/244...ick-williams-moving-up-suns-speak-with-lewis/

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is disingenuous at best. He may not be Steve Nash at this point, but you can't compare NCAA tournament appearances and wins when one of the two guys you're comparing never even had the chance to go to the tournament.

You're reinforcing my point. Everything with Terry at this point is pure speculation. What he has empirically demonstrated to date is meh. Nash and Curry, opportunity or not, had already demonstrated special, generational qualities when they were drafted. Terry has done nothing to warrant expending a Top 10 pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Obi Toppin will go earlier but he would not get past the Knicks at #8.

"I think eight is definitely the lowest he goes," said Jonathan Givony on The Lowe Post. "The guy who recruited him all year who signed him, you know, is running the team that has the number eight pick. I think from all understanding, he's dying to get Obi Toppin. There's nobody that he trusts more in this draft. We're talking about Leon Rose and the Knicks.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260174/Knicks-Dying-To-Select-Obi-Toppin

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
After reading be that article from the ringer on Terry, I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him at 10. He appears to be able to shoot and he's proven to have a work ethic over the last 5 months.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're reinforcing my point. Everything with Terry at this point is pure speculation. What he has empirically demonstrated to date is meh. Nash and Curry, opportunity or not, had already demonstrated special, generational qualities when they were drafted. Terry has done nothing to warrant expending a Top 10 pick.

There simply aren't those kind of players in this draft. Compare Terry to the others in this draft and he doesn't look so bad.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would be happy picking any of these guys:

Terry
Lewis
Riller
Nesmith

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
John Hollingsworth with The Athletic released his new mock today. He has us taking Hayes but I found this tidbit to be interesting:

“The word is pretty strong out there that the Suns are targeting the backcourt with this pick, and that makes sense strategically given Ricky Rubio’s age and the fact Phoenix’s free-agent money will likely be spent on a power forward.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Hollingsworth with The Athletic released his new mock today. He has us taking Hayes but I found this tidbit to be interesting:

“The word is pretty strong out there that the Suns are targeting the backcourt with this pick, and that makes sense strategically given Ricky Rubio’s age and the fact Phoenix’s free-agent money will likely be spent on a power forward.”

This fits with what we have been hearing. Most of the talk regarding the Suns has been about back court players in the draft and much of the free agent talk has centered around Jerami Grant.

There were some rumors about VanVleet but I seriously doubt the Suns would pay what he would cost.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So just going over the draft possibilities again.

I think my rankings based on who should be available at 10 are now

1. Hayes
2. Nesmith
3. Vassell
4. Lewis

Hayes actually has a lot of similarities to Bookers game. He is currently a crappy shooter, but his ability to move around the court and finish looks quite advanced for his age.

If he is on the board I think we need to take him.

I am actually quite excited that one of these guys is going to be there, because I feel like at least the top 3 are going to very good players. Lewis is probably going to be a solid career backup PG, but he does have potential to be more

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This fits with what we have been hearing. Most of the talk regarding the Suns has been about back court players in the draft and much of the free agent talk has centered around Jerami Grant.

There were some rumors about VanVleet but I seriously doubt the Suns would pay what he would cost.

Give me one of Bertans, Wood, or Grant and a promising PGOF in the draft and I am very happy with this offseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me one of Bertans, Wood, or Grant and a promising PGOF in the draft and I am very happy with this offseason.

I've always thought the Suns were very close to a playoff team needing only a couple of tweaks, more depth and the continued improvement of Ayton and Booker.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean this is absolutely what should happen.

Just worried James Jones may screw it up with some Chris Paul trade though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There simply aren't those kind of players in this draft. Compare Terry to the others in this draft and he doesn't look so bad.

There are plenty of prospects who have size, speed, strength and/or athleticism and/or have shown more on the court than Terry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson