BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like what?

Smith - Rebounding
Okongwu - Shot-Blocking and Athleticism
Achiuwa - Rebounding, Shot-Blocking and Athleticism
Vassell - Defense and Athleticism
Lewis - Dribble Penetration and Speed
Nesmith - Shooting (with better size for his position)
Hayes - Passing (plus much better size for his position)
Stewart - Rebounding and Strength

And Haliburton and Toppin were far more productive and have better size for their positions.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Smith - Rebounding
Okongwu - Shot-Blocking and Athleticism
Achiuwa - Rebounding, Shot-Blocking and Athleticism
Vassell - Defense and Athleticism
Lewis - Dribble Penetration and Speed
Nesmith - Shooting (with better size for his position)
Hayes - Passing (plus much better size for his position)
Stewart - Rebounding and Strength

And Haliburton and Toppin were far more productive and have better size for their positions.

I feel like if you can't shoot you're a backup at best. If Toppin was available, I would probably take him. We seem to have a lot of wings. I could see Lewis with his speed and handle being a good pick but I think I prefer the Stanford kid based on his shooting and his makeup.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like if you can't shoot you're a backup at best. If Toppin was available, I would probably take him. We seem to have a lot of wings. I could see Lewis with his speed and handle being a good pick but I think I prefer the Stanford kid based on his shooting and his makeup.

Just remember that Jimmer Fredette was considered the best shooter in his draft. There is still more to the NBA than shooting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that Jimmer Fredette was considered the best shooter in his draft. There is still more to the NBA than shooting.

That's true but if the NBA is all about any one single thing, it's the ability to put the ball in the hoop.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Kira should be the pick.

He is one of the fastest players in the draft

His 3 ball at 36% would put him in the top 100 in NBA.

He plays at least decent on D avg 1.8 steals per game.

He is young at 19 but has 2 yrs experience in a tough conference.

He might be this yrs, Coby White who picked up his play at seasons end.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kira should be the pick.

He is one of the fastest players in the draft

His 3 ball at 36% would put him in the top 100 in NBA.

He plays at least decent on D avg 1.8 steals per game.

He is young at 19 but has 2 yrs experience in a tough conference.

He might be this yrs, Coby White who picked up his play at seasons end.

In addition to having some KJ in him, he also has some De'Aaron Fox in him...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't hate the pick at 10 but I have some doubts about Kira. Watching him play a half dozen times I got the feeling that he wasn't much of a student of the game. He just doesn't seem to play at the level you'd expect considering his physical gifts. And while it might be a little thing, I always worry about the emotional makeup of a player that occasionally shows the world he's disappointed when he misses a shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Nesmith has worked out for the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saddiq Bey wouldn't say on Zoom which teams he has worked out for.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
You've really staked out this position that Terry is unathletic, I think you're incorrect.
While I believe Terry gets high grades on shooting and basketball IQ, I also would be in the camp of low grades on athleticism.

For arguments sake, let's say we could break down NBA athleticism into three key categories: speed, explosion (bounce, vertical, separation, etc), and agility.

Speed: Terry is woefully slow. He makes up for it with his smarts, but this is a definite weakness. It's visible both on the offensive and defensive end.

Explosion: I haven't seen an official vertical on him but I can't believe it's very high. He gets very little lift on his shots or on when he finishes at the rim. He doesn't seem to recover very well on D. I don't see him create much separation when attacking the rim against college players.

Agility: I'll give him a minor plus on this as I've seen him make some savvy moves around the rim. He also is able to create shooting space with a nifty step back. He's not an NBA passer yet, but there are some moments when you can see the potential. If handles is in this category I'd give him a minus. He's too weak with the ball at times.

I'm not one to put strength as a characteristic of athleticism, but if I did I'd give a very poor grade to Terry. Sure, he might have bulked up. But I need to see how that translates to the court before I make a decision (private workouts will help). *[This is a problem in evalutaion for all of us fans since we can't actually see how his strength increase has impacted his game.]

While there are some players that can still excel with low grades in these areas, they had to do some massive tightening in the offseasons to compensate. I actually think Terry is capable of making these corrections. But it's still not enough for me to be comfortable taking him over guys like Lewis, Smith, or Nesmith.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I am not a big fan of Okoro on the Suns if we keep Oubre but if we trade Oubre then Okoro is a very interesting prospect.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I am not a big fan of Okoro on the Suns if we keep Oubre but if we trade Oubre then Okoro is a very interesting prospect.

He certainly would give us much needed athleticism. Unfortunately his shot is as ugly as Josh Jackson's.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I was watching the NBA prospects on ESPN they said he was one of the best defensive players in the draft, if not the best.

There are questions about his shooting so this is a bit of a turnoff. Obviously a lot of people who like him as almost every mock has him going in the top 10.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I was watching the NBA prospects on ESPN they said he was one of the best defensive players in the draft, if not the best.

There are questions about his shooting so this is a bit of a turnoff. Obviously a lot of people who like him as almost every mock has him going in the top 10.

I don't think he fits the Suns play style, and I am surprised they would even interview him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He certainly would give us much needed athleticism. Unfortunately his shot is as ugly as Josh Jackson's.

Josh was worse.

Okoro was 66% from the line.
Josh was 56%.

Okoro was also much better from 2pt range: 61% to 55%.

3pt volume too low to draw many conclusions.

Also, he was a full year younger during critical time of development (18-20) for shooting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he fits the Suns play style, and I am surprised they would even interview him.

Monty coached Chris Paul in New Orleans and he reportedly likes Monty's style of play.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty coached Chris Paul in New Orleans and he reportedly likes Monty's style of play.

He’s talking about Okoro I think.

Okoro seems like he fits Monty’s style quite well actually (provided he develops into a passable shooter).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s talking about Okoro I think.

Okoro seems like he fits Monty’s style quite well actually (provided he develops into a passable shooter).

Thanks. I misread that.

@Proximo

If Okoro can learn to shoot I don't see why he wouldn't fit Monty's system either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks. I misread that.

@Proximo

If Okoro can learn to shoot I don't see why he wouldn't fit Monty's system either.

Well that's just it, he can't shoot, and he's not much of a passer. Those are kind of requirements to run our .5 offense.

Just saying I would think the Suns would be far more interested in Vassell, Nesmith, and even Sadiq Bey for our offense.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
While I believe Terry gets high grades on shooting and basketball IQ, I also would be in the camp of low grades on athleticism.

For arguments sake, let's say we could break down NBA athleticism into three key categories: speed, explosion (bounce, vertical, separation, etc), and agility.

Speed: Terry is woefully slow. He makes up for it with his smarts, but this is a definite weakness. It's visible both on the offensive and defensive end.

Explosion: I haven't seen an official vertical on him but I can't believe it's very high. He gets very little lift on his shots or on when he finishes at the rim. He doesn't seem to recover very well on D. I don't see him create much separation when attacking the rim against college players.

Agility: I'll give him a minor plus on this as I've seen him make some savvy moves around the rim. He also is able to create shooting space with a nifty step back. He's not an NBA passer yet, but there are some moments when you can see the potential. If handles is in this category I'd give him a minus. He's too weak with the ball at times.

I'm not one to put strength as a characteristic of athleticism, but if I did I'd give a very poor grade to Terry. Sure, he might have bulked up. But I need to see how that translates to the court before I make a decision (private workouts will help). *[This is a problem in evalutaion for all of us fans since we can't actually see how his strength increase has impacted his game.]

While there are some players that can still excel with low grades in these areas, they had to do some massive tightening in the offseasons to compensate. I actually think Terry is capable of making these corrections. But it's still not enough for me to be comfortable taking him over guys like Lewis, Smith, or Nesmith.

I don't think he's the most athletic player but I think he's got enough that it won't hinder him. Did you read the ringer article and see the clips?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well that's just it, he can't shoot, and he's not much of a passer. Those are kind of requirements to run our .5 offense.

Just saying I would think the Suns would be far more interested in Vassell, Nesmith, and even Sadiq Bey for our offense.

Why do you say he’s not much of a passer?

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/17/isaac-okoro-scouting-report-2/

Really good passer for a wing…and it’s a shame Auburn didn’t use him more as a creator, because he had really nice flashes. Quick decision-maker who can react quickly to closing defenders and a good (and quick) swing passer. Good accuracy on passes, with the ability to hit all areas of the court with bounce passes, over-the-top / lead passes, and flashed some really nice live-action passes…though it was not something he did often, when it did, it looked very natural and popped bigtime. More comfortable passing out to the perimeter than on the interior. Good drive and kick passer, drive and drop-off passer, etc. Does a nice job getting the defenders to commit to him downhill before making the pass to the open pass…but also prone to not making a pass until it’s just a bit too late, leading to tipped passes and turnovers – would like to see him improve moving from his handle to a pass, though he is still solid here. I do not think he has elite vision, but does a nice job reading the defense and knowing where the open man is going to be because of it – for example, if he knows the help is coming in from the top of the key, he’ll pass it back; if he sees the help coming from a corner, he’ll pass it there; etc. Pretty accurate on passes, but passes into the low post / high post need work on his touch – can overshoot his man, leading to turnovers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson