2020 Draft

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe. I wouldn't want to break the bank to make it happen but Oubre and the number 2 pick might (?) let us move up 4 or 5 spots should he fall to that range. But it's quite possible he goes in the top 3 and if that's the case, we're likely out of luck.

I think Ball, Edwards and Wiseman go top 3, though I don't know in what order. After that, it's anyone's guess among a second tier of Toppin, Okongwu, Avdija, Hayes, Haliburton and Williams. The cut-off seems to be at 9, with the Suns having pick #10...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I wouldn't want to break the bank to make it happen but Oubre and the number 2 pick might (?) let us move up 4 or 5 spots should he fall to that range. But it's quite possible he goes in the top 3 and if that's the case, we're likely out of luck.

If you mean Oubre and the number 10 pick to move up 4 or 5 spots, I don't know. It feels a lot like the TJ Warren trade.

The way the Suns have reportedly bandied around Oubre in a trade lowers his value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean Oubre and the number 10 pick to move up 4 or 5 spots, I don't know. It feels a lot like the TJ Warren trade.

The way the Suns have reportedly bandied around Oubre in a trade lowers his value.

But have they really done that? I don't know.

Making him available after an injury automatically reduces his value IMO. As I've said before, I believe OO has a good chance to become the best player in this class so trading Oubre with the 10th pick appeals to me much more than the salary dump of TJ and if we can't use Kelly that way, I'd rather just bring him in and either trade him at the deadline or let him play his way through his contract. Whatever we do, I hope we do right by him to the extent it's possible.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The player I'd really like to move up for in this draft is Onyeka Okongwu and not just because we could have a blast misspelling his name. IMO, 5 years from now, he has the best chance to be the dominant player from this class. It's a gamble putting him and Ayton out there together but I think it's worth the risk.

i like him a lot also. Can’t believe he is projected to go 9th. I think it just shows how much less value nba teams are putting on big men.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But have they really done that? I don't know.

Making him available after an injury automatically reduces his value IMO. As I've said before, I believe OO will likely be the best player in this class so trading Oubre with the 10th pick appeals to me much more than the salary dump of TJ and if we can't use Kelly that way, I'd rather just bring him in and either trade him at the deadline or let him play his way through his contract. Whatever we do, I hope we do right by him to the extent it's possible.

That's why I used the word "reportedly" but if reputable sources are reporting it, it's fair to think so.

If the Suns did trade Oubre and number 10 for an early pick I wouldn't be against it especially if the Suns didn't have to take unwanted salary back. They could use that money in free agency. I do think the Suns don't value their assets the way they should.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I used the word "reportedly" but if reputable sources are reporting it, it's fair to think so.

If the Suns did trade Oubre and number 10 for an early pick I wouldn't be against it especially if the Suns didn't have to take unwanted salary back. They could use that money in free agency. I do think the Suns don't value their assets the way they should.

Sure, I think it means there's conversation about him and that we're likely engaged in it but not that the Suns are necessarily shopping him. There's no question that OKC wants to cash in on Paul and it's clear that Chris wants to control where he goes and it's quite possible that the noise is coming from that side. I wouldn't even be shocked to learn that Oubre's agent is involved in the earlier GS rumor. We just don't know, at this stage, although it usually does come out afterwards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I think it means there's conversation about him and that we're likely engaged in it but not that the Suns are necessarily shopping him. There's no question that OKC wants to cash in on Paul and it's clear that Chris wants to control where he goes and it's quite possible that the noise is coming from that side. I wouldn't even be shocked to learn that Oubre's agent is involved in the earlier GS rumor. We just don't know, at this stage, although it usually does come out afterwards.

Yeah, we don't know.

If Oubre wants out they would be wise to trade him now. Suns don't want to have an unhappy player which appeared to be the case with Bledsoe and Warren.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting the Suns did not work out Vassell - but have worked out Nesmith.

Personally I like Nesmith more, and maybe that suggests the suns do too.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I haven't scouted all the prospects, but Bolmaro stood out to me as the best defender with top 20 offensive talent. I'd much rather have him than Okoro. I think the analysis on his defense is purely based on potential. His film doesn't show elite level defensive prowess (in comparison I liked the defensive film on De'Aaron Fox much better).

Honestly, in all the film I watched on Okoro I never saw anything that made me want to take him. At best he reminds me of Iggy coming out of Arizona. But that's the absolute best comp I can come up with. I just don't see it with him.

I'd much rather have Oturu in the 2nd than Okoro in the 1st.

I agree... if we are going to focus on guys whose names begin and end with a vowel.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
On the radio Gambo says Suns will not draft: Hayes, Lewis, Vassell, Okoro, Hampton, Maxey.

Says Desmond Bane wouldn’t surprise him.

Seems like he was guessing on Bane though since he fit the Cam Johnson mold, as opposed to having any real inside info. Acted like he had inside info on the players he nixed though.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On the radio Gambo says Suns will not draft: Hayes, Lewis, Vassell, Okoro, Hampton, Maxey.

Seems like he was guessing on Bane though since he fit the Cam Johnson mold, as opposed to having any real inside info. Acted like he had inside info on the players he nixed though.

I can live with the nixes, though I am disappointed they are not considering Vassell or Lewis.

I will be livid if Bane is the pick. (We already pretty much have the exact same player in Ty Jerome, and we have seen how that worked out.)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can live with the nixes, though I am disappointed they are not considering Vassell or Lewis.

I will be livid if Bane is the pick. (We already pretty much have the exact same player in Ty Jerome, and we have seen how that worked out.)

Yeah, I heard this too. I also would be livid if Bane is the pick. Not being interested in Hayes is a big mistake. I don't like Maxey or Okorro or RJ Hampton, so I am glad to hear they aren't interested in them. Lewis and Vassell should be in consideration with Hayes as well.

I am praying they will pick Nesmith instead, who we at least know they did work out, and who I think is better in every way.

I mean if he is determined to pick Bane he needs to at least be a good enough GM to trade down to 20 or so before picking him and get some value for the 10th pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard this too. I also would be livid if Bane is the pick.

I am praying they will pick Nesmith instead, who we at least know they did work out, and who I think is better in every way.

If Bane is the pick, we will have confirmation once and for all that James Jones has tunnel vision for players who remind him of himself as a player.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would die laughing if that’s the pick. Just trade Booker now if that happens we don’t deserve him

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Don’t mistake me posting stuff about Bane as an endorsement of the pick. I would be quite annoyed if we take him at #10.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reportedly Vassell has talked to James Jones.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Don’t mistake me posting stuff about Bane as an endorsement of the pick. I would be quite annoyed if we take him at #10.

Trajan Langdon's IQ and motor were "legit special" as well. Too bad he didn't have the athletic ability to go along with it. Trajan Langdon is Bane's ceiling (I still think post-injury Davon Reed is more likely)...and Langdon was awful in the NBA.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be honest I don't hate him as a player either - He kind of reminds me of Quinton Richardson.

But he should not be drafted 10th.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Bane is an average athlete while Jerome is well below. Bane’s ability depends on his handle/playmaking. If he’s just a spot up guy and nothing else he’ll flame out with those measurements.

That said I’m hoping they steer clear because he doesn’t have any upside as a PG. We already have Carter who’s a dog and can hit open shots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bane is an average athlete while Jerome is well below. Bane’s ability depends on his handle/playmaking. If he’s just a spot up guy and nothing else he’ll flame out with those measurements.

That said I’m hoping they steer clear because he doesn’t have any upside as a PG. We already have Carter who’s a dog and can hit open shots.

Actually, Bane's lack of athleticism is indeed as bad as Jerome's, and yes he is just a spot up guy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, Bane's lack of athleticism is indeed as bad as Jerome's, and yes he is just a spot up guy.

It is not. Are you blind?

He's not a good athlete, but the guy is moving well on D and throwing down dunks. He is too small to play anything but 2 guard though. His shot release is reasonably quick also. I think he could turn into an NBA player, but why would you take this guy over Nesmith who looks like the next Ray Allen.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We could do a lot worse than Bane. I like the player a lot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson