2020 Draft

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we make a move at the deadline, it might include trading away this year's first round draft pick. It might make sense to have a sense of what that pick might bring.

Here are some players that intrigue me.

1. Vernon Carey Jr. Plays a bit slow, but big, strong, and while he does not shoot many threes but has a decent percentage from the three. Shot blocker. He might fit at pf beside Ayton. Should be available wherever the Suns pick.

2. Onyeka Okongwu. Shot blocker, efficient scorer, not an outside shooter. Suns would have to get lucky to be able to pick him.

3. Tyrese Haliburton. Does a lot of stuff well. All around pg. This is one of the players in the SGA, Shamet mold. Suns would probably have to get lucky in the lottery to get a shot.

4. Obi Toppin. Interesting. Has some potential as a shooter, but I would not count on it. Blocks a few shots. Efficient scorer. Might be in the late lottery. He would have to drop a little for the Suns to get him.

5. Tre Jones. Probably one of the better pg's in this draft, but still projects to be a back up NBA pg.

Players I do not want.

1. Nico Manion. To me, he has NBA flop written all over him. Size, shooting percentage, and lots of other issues that would be concerns.

2. LaMelo Ball. Athleticism and scoring efficiency are not good.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From my post in the other thread:

Most likely Suns Lottery pick, based on the M.O. of Sarver and James Jones:

Nico Mannion
Markus Howard
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Nwora
Paul Reed
Omer Yurtseven
Deni Avdija
Udo Azubuike
Chris Smith

Who the Suns SHOULD be targeting (further comments added in patentheses):

Vernon Carey (Gives us needed size, strength, toughness, rim protection and interior offense and rebounding.)
Isaiah Stewart (Gives us needed size, strength, toughness, athleticism, rim protection and interior defense and rebounding.)
Zeke Nnaji (Gives us needed length, toughness, athleticism, interior defense, rim protection and rebounding with a somewhat promising outside shot that could be developed.)
Onyeka Okongwu (Gives us needed athleticism, rim protection, rebounding and some outside shooting.)
Obi Toppin (Gives us some needed toughness, interior offense and rebounding, but I am not as high on him as the other power forward prospects.)
Precious Achiuwa (Gives us needed length, athleticism, toughness, rebounding and versatile inside and outside scoring, though inconsistent effort is a flag for me.)
Tyrese Haliburton (Good size, decent athleticism, good decision maker, decent shooter, decent passer, smart, steady, effective. In my opinion, the best Lottery prospect for a current back-up PG with potential to develop into our PG of the future.)

Players the Suns should be avoiding at all costs (further comments added in parentheses):

Mannion (Wilts under pressure, with awful games against every decent opponent he has played, erratic shooting, poor shot selection, flashy but sloppy passing, inconsistent defensive effort. Reminds me more and more of Mustafa Shakur every time I see him play.)
Avdija (Dragan Bender part deux)
LaMelo Ball (All flash, no substance, below average athleticism, plus the Lavar factor. Basically Lonzo Ball with poorer passing and decision making ability.)
Jaden McDaniels (Can jump out of the building, but appears to have a very low BBIQ and inconsistent effort. Reminds me frighteningly of Marquese Chriss.)
Theo Maledon (Looks like a Frank Ntilikina clone. Last thing we need is a point guard who can't shoot who has zero experience against decent competition and who profiles exactly as Ntilikina.)
RJ Hampton (See Maledon, only substitute Dante Exum for Frank Ntilikina.)
Tyrese Maxey (Poor attitude, poor BBIQ and inconsistent effort. Looks like a small guard version of Josh Jackson, and I learned my lesson there the hard way.)

I don't think Tre Jones will declare for the draft, but if he does I put him in the Dotson/Pritchard/Howard category: Great for a flyer at the top of the second round, lousy for a Lottery pick.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If we make a move at the deadline, it might include trading away this year's first round draft pick. It might make sense to have a sense of what that pick might bring.

Here are some players that intrigue me.

1. Vernon Carey Jr. Plays a bit slow, but big, strong, and while he does not shoot many threes but has a decent percentage from the three. Shot blocker. He might fit at pf beside Ayton. Should be available wherever the Suns pick.

2. Onyeka Okongwu. Shot blocker, efficient scorer, not an outside shooter. Suns would have to get lucky to be able to pick him.

3. Tyrese Haliburton. Does a lot of stuff well. All around pg. This is one of the players in the SGA, Shamet mold. Suns would probably have to get lucky in the lottery to get a shot.

4. Obi Toppin. Interesting. Has some potential as a shooter, but I would not count on it. Blocks a few shots. Efficient scorer. Might be in the late lottery. He would have to drop a little for the Suns to get him.

5. Tre Jones. Probably one of the better pg's in this draft, but still projects to be a back up NBA pg.

Players I do not want.

1. Nico Manion. To me, he has NBA flop written all over him. Size, shooting percentage, and lots of other issues that would be concerns.

2. LiMelo Ball. Athleticism and scoring efficiency are not good.

If I could be assured that we would come away from the draft with either Halliburton, Toppin, or Okongwu then I would be all for keeping our pick. Other than that, I would just assume trade it for some proven talent (assuming that talent is indeed proven, and has multiple years left on their contract).

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Halliburton's length, pass 1st mentality and maturity but his awkward jumpshot is scary.

Last edited:

JerkFace

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the chance to watch Killian Hayes extensively? Seems like an interesting prospect, but my opinion is based purely on his highlights, which I don’t put much stake in. It is hard to get a really good sense of a player without watching a few full games which is harder to due with the foreign prospects.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who's old, unathletic and someone a few posters will point out those limitations only to be lambasted by the majority of the board? whoever that is will be our pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
who's old, unathletic and someone a few posters will point out those limitations only to be lambasted by the majority of the board? whoever that is will be our pick.

The Cam Johnson pick was almost universally panned on this board.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Nico Mannion is getting outplayed yet again, this time by Remy Martin.

Mannion has bust written all over him, and I dread that he is going to be the Suns' lottery pick this year.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Only now to be defended.
I haven’t seen anyone defend the pick. The only thing being defended is his ability to be a solid role player. But let’s not get off track... this is a 2020 draft thread.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only now to be defended.
By who? I don't know that I have seen anyone say that the trade down, combined with selecting him at #11 was a shrewd maneuver.

What you are struggling with is the ability to recognize that Cam Johnson is an actual NBA talent. He is not an unmitigated disaster. Is that what we should be hoping for as a team who had the #6 pick in the draft? Hell no. I wanted Clarke, I still would unquestionably prefer Clarke. But it doesn't prevent me from recognizing that Cam Johnson is a player that, barring the legit injury concerns, will likely have a long career in the league as a solid role palyer. You however are so wrapped up in your myopia that you make insane claims like that his shooting motion is so slow that he can't even get a shot off... meanwhile he unobjectively has one of the quickest releases in the league.

Cam Johnson has warts, but he also has legit NBA skills. You seem to think that when someone goes above saying that Cam Johnson should be sent to a gulag, it means they think it was a great move to take him at #11. Meanwhile no one has been pimping that trade or selection.

Johnson was a reach, drafting him at 11 was a mistake, but he is still an NBA caliber player.

Deal with it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
By who? I don't know that I have seen anyone say that the trade down, combined with selecting him at #11 was a shrewd maneuver.

What you are struggling with is the ability to recognize that Cam Johnson is an actual NBA talent. He is not an unmitigated disaster. Is that what we should be hoping for as a team who had the #6 pick in the draft? Hell no. I wanted Clarke, I still would unquestionably prefer Clarke. But it doesn't prevent me from recognizing that Cam Johnson is a player that, barring the legit injury concerns, will likely have a long career in the league as a solid role palyer. You however are so wrapped up in your myopia that you make insane claims like that his shooting motion is so slow that he can't even get a shot off... meanwhile he unobjectively has one of the quickest releases in the league.

Cam Johnson has warts, but he also has legit NBA skills. You seem to think that when someone goes above saying that Cam Johnson should be sent to a gulag, it means they think it was a great move to take him at #11. Meanwhile no one has been pimping that trade or selection.

Johnson was a reach, drafting him at 11 was a mistake, but he is still an NBA caliber player.

Deal with it.

He hasn't shown himself to be thus far...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Keep a watch on the PG Theo Maledon.

Great frame 6-4, 6-8(?) wingspan.
High twitch athlete. Dangerous first step and change of direction.
Excellent court vision and is always looking for his teammates. Solid P&R passer, eyes are always up.
Excellent handles.
Great in the open court. Shows high basketball IQ.
Really nice form on his shot. Has a great line. Didn't score a ton, but has booming potential (ala Ja Morant).
Really good defender with anticipation. Has a ton of potential above his solid production.
Has a lot of IT to him. Plays with passion, attacks the basket, shows flashes of greatness, fights for every ball, throws it down, finishes multiple ways, and looks to win.

And... playing pro basketball since he was 14 (4 years).

I highly doubt he's available June 25 at our draft spot. But you never know. I love the idea of him backing up Ricky for a few years and honing his game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Keep a watch on the PG Theo Maledon.

Great frame 6-4, 6-8(?) wingspan.
High twitch athlete. Dangerous first step and change of direction.
Excellent court vision and is always looking for his teammates. Solid P&R passer, eyes are always up.
Excellent handles.
Great in the open court. Shows high basketball IQ.
Really nice form on his shot. Has a great line. Didn't score a ton, but has booming potential (ala Ja Morant).
Really good defender with anticipation. Has a ton of potential above his solid production.
Has a lot of IT to him. Plays with passion, attacks the basket, shows flashes of greatness, fights for every ball, throws it down, finishes multiple ways, and looks to win.

And... playing pro basketball since he was 14 (4 years).

I highly doubt he's available June 25 at our draft spot. But you never know. I love the idea of him backing up Ricky for a few years and honing his game.

Like I said, a Frank Ntilikina clone. No, thanks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw a name in a kid I've been watching all year just keeps getting better, Chris Duarte from Oregon. 6'6" from the Dominican also lived in Canada. You could see all year the talent is there he was just adjusting to D1 from juco. Last 2 games he had 30, 11 boards and EIGHT steals against USC. Today in one half against UCLA he has 20 5 boards 5 steals and 4 assists. The steals are somewhat misleading, ORegon is pressing fullcourt something he won't do in the NBA, but he has great length and uncanny anticipation, 13 steals in the last 60 minutes of games. Has a nice shot, good mechanics today has made two from 26 feet out. He's not as good as his last 2 games but I see a kid who has a chance to be an NBA player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll throw a name in a kid I've been watching all year just keeps getting better, Chris Duarte from Oregon. 6'6" from the Dominican also lived in Canada. You could see all year the talent is there he was just adjusting to D1 from juco. Last 2 games he had 30, 11 boards and EIGHT steals against USC. Today in one half against UCLA he has 20 5 boards 5 steals and 4 assists. The steals are somewhat misleading, ORegon is pressing fullcourt something he won't do in the NBA, but he has great length and uncanny anticipation, 13 steals in the last 60 minutes of games. Has a nice shot, good mechanics today has made two from 26 feet out. He's not as good as his last 2 games but I see a kid who has a chance to be an NBA player.

Worth a second round flyer. Nothing more.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m going to continue to hype up Jalen Smith. Dude can do it all, may not be as active or aggressive as some may like but can play inside and outside with a developing 3pt shot and is a rim defender (2.2 bpg). His stock could rise with a good tournament.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m going to continue to hype up Jalen Smith. Dude can do it all, may not be as active or aggressive as some may like but can play inside and outside with a developing 3pt shot and is a rim defender (2.2 bpg). His stock could rise with a good tournament.

I could see that, but he would have to put on about 20 pounds and maintain his speed and athleticism.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nico needs another year of college so bad. Not everyone needs to be one and done if they have a smidge of talent.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cam Johnson pick was almost universally panned on this board.

Yeah, there have definitely been some "I was right" posts about Cam that reflect concerns so obvious they weren't even really debated here. Some people chose to cheer for him anyway, but apparently that's not how you be a fan.