2020 Draft

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 25, 2020.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

If we make a move at the deadline, it might include trading away this year's first round draft pick. It might make sense to have a sense of what that pick might bring.

Here are some players that intrigue me.

1. Vernon Carey Jr. Plays a bit slow, but big, strong, and while he does not shoot many threes but has a decent percentage from the three. Shot blocker. He might fit at pf beside Ayton. Should be available wherever the Suns pick.

2. Onyeka Okongwu. Shot blocker, efficient scorer, not an outside shooter. Suns would have to get lucky to be able to pick him.

3. Tyrese Haliburton. Does a lot of stuff well. All around pg. This is one of the players in the SGA, Shamet mold. Suns would probably have to get lucky in the lottery to get a shot.

4. Obi Toppin. Interesting. Has some potential as a shooter, but I would not count on it. Blocks a few shots. Efficient scorer. Might be in the late lottery. He would have to drop a little for the Suns to get him.

5. Tre Jones. Probably one of the better pg's in this draft, but still projects to be a back up NBA pg.

Players I do not want.

1. Nico Manion. To me, he has NBA flop written all over him. Size, shooting percentage, and lots of other issues that would be concerns.

2. LaMelo Ball. Athleticism and scoring efficiency are not good.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    mjb21aztd likes this.
  2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

You mentioned the two we should target. Obi Toppin and Tyrese Halliburton.

SunnyBaller and offset like this.
  3. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

From my post in the other thread:

Most likely Suns Lottery pick, based on the M.O. of Sarver and James Jones:

Nico Mannion
    Markus Howard
    Payton Pritchard
    Jordan Nwora
    Paul Reed
    Omer Yurtseven
    Deni Avdija
    Udo Azubuike
    Chris Smith

Who the Suns SHOULD be targeting (further comments added in patentheses):

Vernon Carey (Gives us needed size, strength, toughness, rim protection and interior offense and rebounding.)
    Isaiah Stewart (Gives us needed size, strength, toughness, athleticism, rim protection and interior defense and rebounding.)
    Zeke Nnaji (Gives us needed length, toughness, athleticism, interior defense, rim protection and rebounding with a somewhat promising outside shot that could be developed.)
    Onyeka Okongwu (Gives us needed athleticism, rim protection, rebounding and some outside shooting.)
    Obi Toppin (Gives us some needed toughness, interior offense and rebounding, but I am not as high on him as the other power forward prospects.)
    Precious Achiuwa (Gives us needed length, athleticism, toughness, rebounding and versatile inside and outside scoring, though inconsistent effort is a flag for me.)
    Tyrese Haliburton (Good size, decent athleticism, good decision maker, decent shooter, decent passer, smart, steady, effective. In my opinion, the best Lottery prospect for a current back-up PG with potential to develop into our PG of the future.)

Players the Suns should be avoiding at all costs (further comments added in parentheses):

Mannion (Wilts under pressure, with awful games against every decent opponent he has played, erratic shooting, poor shot selection, flashy but sloppy passing, inconsistent defensive effort. Reminds me more and more of Mustafa Shakur every time I see him play.)
    Avdija (Dragan Bender part deux)
    LaMelo Ball (All flash, no substance, below average athleticism, plus the Lavar factor. Basically Lonzo Ball with poorer passing and decision making ability.)
    Jaden McDaniels (Can jump out of the building, but appears to have a very low BBIQ and inconsistent effort. Reminds me frighteningly of Marquese Chriss.)
    Theo Maledon (Looks like a Frank Ntilikina clone. Last thing we need is a point guard who can't shoot who has zero experience against decent competition and who profiles exactly as Ntilikina.)
    RJ Hampton (See Maledon, only substitute Dante Exum for Frank Ntilikina.)
    Tyrese Maxey (Poor attitude, poor BBIQ and inconsistent effort. Looks like a small guard version of Josh Jackson, and I learned my lesson there the hard way.)

I don't think Tre Jones will declare for the draft, but if he does I put him in the Dotson/Pritchard/Howard category: Great for a flyer at the top of the second round, lousy for a Lottery pick.

offset, WildBB and mjb21aztd like this.
  4. offset

offset i have a special purpose

If I could be assured that we would come away from the draft with either Halliburton, Toppin, or Okongwu then I would be all for keeping our pick. Other than that, I would just assume trade it for some proven talent (assuming that talent is indeed proven, and has multiple years left on their contract).

5. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

I like Halliburton's length, pass 1st mentality and maturity but his awkward jumpshot is scary.

WildBB likes this.
  6. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

It's a weird shot but he's shooting a good clip this season

7. offset

Has anyone gotten the chance to watch Killian Hayes extensively? Seems like an interesting prospect, but my opinion is based purely on his highlights, which I don’t put much stake in. It is hard to get a really good sense of a player without watching a few full games which is harder to due with the foreign prospects.

8. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

So did Mikal in college.

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

who's old, unathletic and someone a few posters will point out those limitations only to be lambasted by the majority of the board? whoever that is will be our pick.

10. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

The Cam Johnson pick was almost universally panned on this board.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  11. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Only now to be defended.

12. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Meanwhile, Nico Mannion is getting outplayed yet again, this time by Remy Martin.

Mannion has bust written all over him, and I dread that he is going to be the Suns' lottery pick this year.

13. offset

I haven’t seen anyone defend the pick. The only thing being defended is his ability to be a solid role player. But let’s not get off track... this is a 2020 draft thread.

14. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

To me haliburton looks very similar to lonzo in college , only without a lavar

15. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

By who? I don't know that I have seen anyone say that the trade down, combined with selecting him at #11 was a shrewd maneuver.

What you are struggling with is the ability to recognize that Cam Johnson is an actual NBA talent. He is not an unmitigated disaster. Is that what we should be hoping for as a team who had the #6 pick in the draft? Hell no. I wanted Clarke, I still would unquestionably prefer Clarke. But it doesn't prevent me from recognizing that Cam Johnson is a player that, barring the legit injury concerns, will likely have a long career in the league as a solid role palyer. You however are so wrapped up in your myopia that you make insane claims like that his shooting motion is so slow that he can't even get a shot off... meanwhile he unobjectively has one of the quickest releases in the league.

Cam Johnson has warts, but he also has legit NBA skills. You seem to think that when someone goes above saying that Cam Johnson should be sent to a gulag, it means they think it was a great move to take him at #11. Meanwhile no one has been pimping that trade or selection.

Johnson was a reach, drafting him at 11 was a mistake, but he is still an NBA caliber player.

Deal with it.