2020 Draft

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I was pointing out that Cam alone doesn't equal trend. I'm concerned about what we do with quality pick spots. What we do at the 32nd or 59th pick matters little in the scheme of things, what we do over the long run with picks in the top 20 or so makes or breaks a franchise. I have no problem with drafting low ceiling 4 year players in the second round but I would hope for more than that when we're drafting in the lottery.

Not Cam alone. You have to factor in Jerome as well. Plus the free agent targets and trade targets all of whom also lacked athleticism.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Cam alone. You have to factor in Jerome as well. Plus the free agent targets and trade targets all of whom also lacked athleticism.

This is outside the flow of the conversation. I was responding to a comment suggesting that we now, as a trend, we're drafting 4 year college shooters. I disagree that it's a trend, that's all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just talked me into Terry. With the way the game has changed, Eddie House would be a star in today's NBA. But seriously, I'm closer to neutral on Terry. I only saw him twice last season and as I recall, he was very good against UCLA but a complete ghost against Arizona.

If the front office, scouts and coaches think he can/has developed overall to the point they can project him as an eventual backcourt mate with Booker, I'm fine with his selection. I'd still rather add an all around big that can help our defense but we need guard help now and in the near future too.

I'm not advocating for Terry but I do like his quick compact release on his shot.

It's amazing how small guard have helped Dallas like Trey Burke and Seth Curry although they are not starters. I expect Terry to be a much better player. Maybe a starter in time if his new measurements hold up.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
This is outside the flow of the conversation. I was responding to a comment suggesting that we now, as a trend, we're drafting 4 year college shooters. I disagree that it's a trend, that's all.
I completely agree. With only one draft under his belt it is impossible to know if JJ has a specific drafting preference or if he just had a specific draft plan for a specific draft and Suns team. That’s what makes this draft so hard to predict. After this draft though, if the Suns draft a player like Bane then I think we can definitely say that Jones has a specific drafting preference.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Killian Hayes would be a nice player to groom. He has all the tools especially if he can nail that 3-point shot with consistency.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. With only one draft under his belt it is impossible to know if JJ has a specific drafting preference or if he just had a specific draft plan for a specific draft and Suns team. That’s what makes this draft so hard to predict. After this draft though, if the Suns draft a player like Bane then I think we can definitely say that Jones has a specific drafting preference.

Hopefully James Jones looks for more athletic players in this draft or adds them elsewhere.

I'm more concerned about having a roster with a number of less than stellar athletic players. Examples last season were Baynes, Kaminsky, Jerome, Saric and even Cam Johnson to a lesser extent.

Some are fine but not this many.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully James Jones looks for more athletic players in this draft or adds them elsewhere.

I'm more concerned about having a roster with a number of less than stellar athletic players. Examples last season were Baynes, Kaminsky, Jerome, Saric and even Cam Johnson to a lesser extent.

Some are fine but not this many.

Indeed. With this history, I remain concerned that Jones is over-enamoured with players who resemble himself from his playing days. Reaching for someone who fits that mold, like Bane or Terry, at 10 would reinforce that notion, in my opinion.

Particularly in today's NBA, you can't win with a roster consisting primarily of James Joneses...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see this as a trend in any way. There is a huge difference between taking a 4 year player in the second round or bottom of the first versus taking one in the lottery.
It has nothing to do with where they are taken, its the type of player they are going for. Instead of a younger prospect with more potential, they have been going for mature, seasoned guys who have the same trait in common, shooting. I understand being burned by guys like Bender, Chris & Jackson but you can't give up on athletic guys with potential.

I know this league is for shooters but I'd prefer shooting and another skill, particularly if the player is not athletic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with where they are taken, its the type of player they are going for. Instead of a younger prospect with more potential, they have been going for mature, seasoned guys who have the same trait in common, shooting. I understand being burned by guys like Bender, Chris & Jackson but you can't give up on athletic guys with potential.

I know this league is for shooters but I'd prefer shooting and another skill, particularly if the player is not athletic.

Indeed. Every single contender has either strength (e.g., Raptors, Pacers, Thunder, Grizzlies) or speed/athleticism (e.g., Celtics, Rockets, Blazers). Many have both (e.g., Lakers, Heat, Clippers, Nuggets, Bucks). The Suns have neither (with only Ayton having NBA level strength for his position, and with only Oubre, Ayton, Payne and Carter having NBA level speed and athleticism for theirs).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So you really believe that who we take at 59 or 32 tells a story about the kind of players we are trying to draft in the lottery? I'm surprised, honestly. You're sifting through the dumpster at 59, I see no connection between that type of player and someone you select when you have most of the draft board available to you.

If you were to say that JJ seems to value shooting, character, leadership and work ethic over athleticism based on Cameron and the GM's comments, I would agree. But no, I do not believe you can look at King and Reed and say anything about the kind of player we are looking to draft. You rarely target the same kind of player with your (nearly) throwaway picks that you'd target with your high value picks and the trend with high value picks is the only one that has any real relevance IMO.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this interesting article on wingspans for NBA players. It lists the longest in NBA history and also lists the longest in the league now as well as giving the measurements for a lot of stars.

One I was really surprised by was Jimmy Butler, who is 6'8" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

Another I found surprising was Oubre, who is 6'7" and has a 7'2" wingspan.

Just thought I'd share because wingspan is always discussed and this is the best collection of info I've seen in one place.

I imagine @Mainstreet will enjoy this and others

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/The-21-Most-Incredible-Ape-Indices-in-NBA-History

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting article on wingspans for NBA players. It lists the longest in NBA history and also lists the longest in the league now as well as giving the measurements for a lot of stars.

One I was really surprised by was Jimmy Butler, who is 6'8" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

Another I found surprising was Oubre, who is 6'7" and has a 7'2" wingspan.

Just thought I'd share because wingspan is always discussed and this is the best collection of info I've seen in one place.

I imagine @Mainstreet will enjoy this and others

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/The-21-Most-Incredible-Ape-Indices-in-NBA-History

Very interesting stuff.

The average wingspan of a power forward is 7'1" so Oubre is an inch over the average. He is listed as a small forward but he could play power forward if needed in a small ball lineup.

Interesting, Rondo is 6'1" but has a 6'9" wingspan. Also Bledsoe is 6'1" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

Under the hand size category I wish they had more listings. That's important too.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very interesting stuff.

The average wingspan of a power forward is 7'1" so Oubre is an inch over the average. He is listed as a small forward but he could play power forward if needed in a small ball lineup.

Interesting, Rondo is 6'1" but has a 6'9" wingspan. Also Bledsoe is 6'1" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

Under the hand size category I wish they had more listings. That's important too.

Oubre only weighs 205 pounds. Power forwards would just kill him with strength.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre only weighs 205 pounds. Power forwards would just kill him with strength.

Very few do. It's really only someone like Anthony Davis that is a major problem.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah I really don't care much about wingspans on guards. I care if they can handle, shoot, pass, and move their feet on D.

Unfortunately, among those, Terry and Bane can shoot and nothing else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I really don't care much about wingspans on guards. I care if they can handle, shoot, pass, and move their feet on D.

Shorter wingspans can effect the shot unless the player has a quick release. We've seen something like this with Jerome.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shorter wingspans can effect the shot unless the player has a quick release. We've seen something like this with Jerome.

It also affects the ability to defend, unless the player has quick feet and lateral movement. We've also seen something like this with Jerome.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also affects the ability to defend, unless the player has quick feet and lateral movement. We've also seen something like this with Jerome.

I remember before the 2019 draft thinking basketball IQ might help compensate on offense. He was a good shooter and passer in college. However, defense will always be a weakness. This goes for a lot of players that have only average athleticism.

Jerome still has a chance to make it in the NBA but it's not an easy journey. Certainly his first season was not encouraging. Below average wingspan only makes it harder.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember before the 2019 draft thinking basketball IQ might help compensate on offense. He was a good shooter and passer in college. However, defense will always be a weakness. This goes for a lot of players that have only average athleticism.

Jerome still has a chance to make it in the NBA but it's not an easy journey. Certainly his first season was not encouraging. Below average wingspan only makes it harder.

Professional sports at the highest level require at least a baseline of physical and athletic ability, to go along with skills and smarts. That's why a lot of great college players end up in Europe or some other secondary league, rather than the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Professional sports at the highest level require at least a baseline of physical and athletic ability, to go along with skills and smarts. That's why a lot of great college players end up in Europe or some other secondary league, rather than the NBA.

Sometimes it can be a fine line. Even scouts have trouble getting it right.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson