2020 All Star Watch

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know that last year there was a lot of talk about us trimming our scouting department down to the bare bones. I haven’t heard about any new hires so I assume we are still rolling out an understaffed scouting department... which is a complete joke.

True, but aren't they paying about six recently fired head coaches?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost posted about the Luol Deng draft, I had a line written but deleted it. That is something that will continue hang over this franchises' head going forward since it was technically Sarver's first draft as owner.

The Suns trying to save a buck never works out.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this interesting write up about how the NBA should find a way to get Sixth men involved in the All-Star game and I was on the fence when I started reading but I agree with it. It sort of makes the case for the 6th man being involved similar to how relief pitchers and closers are selected to the MLB All-Star game.

I think it would need to be an additional spot, let the selection process work as is but add a separate spot for 6th man voting. That can be divided equally amongst fan voting, player, press, and coaching selections as well.

Having 13 All-Stars per team shouldn't be an issue. There were 13 each last year when Silver added Dirk and Wade to the All-Star game based on their career accomplishments.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2020/01/19/nba-all-star-game-vote-sixth-man/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Found this interesting write up about how the NBA should find a way to get Sixth men involved in the All-Star game and I was on the fence when I started reading but I agree with it. It sort of makes the case for the 6th man being involved similar to how relief pitchers and closers are selected to the MLB All-Star game.

I think it would need to be an additional spot, let the selection process work as is but add a separate spot for 6th man voting. That can be divided equally amongst fan voting, player, press, and coaching selections as well.

Having 13 All-Stars per team shouldn't be an issue. There were 13 each last year when Silver added Dirk and Wade to the All-Star game based on their career accomplishments.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2020/01/19/nba-all-star-game-vote-sixth-man/
There would have to be stringent rules about reserves who start some, or are pressed into starting some, games. Or starters who get benched. That could get sticky.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There would have to be stringent rules about reserves who start some, or are pressed into starting some, games. Or starters who get benched. That could get sticky.

I don't see how it would be much different than Sixth Man of the Year voting. Sure, the fan voting would be a bit of a nightmare but it usually is anyways. The players, coaches, and press understand who the Sixth men in the league are.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't see how it would be much different than Sixth Man of the Year voting. Sure, the fan voting would be a bit of a nightmare but it usually is anyways. The players, coaches, and press understand who the Sixth men in the league are.
But do the fans? They don't follow 30 teams. Except for some posters on ASFN, of course. :)

Heck, fans across the country don't even know that Devin Booker should be an All Star. :):)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But do the fans? They don't follow 30 teams. Except for some posters on ASFN, of course. :)

Heck, fans across the country don't even know that Devin Booker should be an All Star. :):)

I mentioned fan voting would be a mess and how that wouldn't be the sole criteria used for selection and you disregard that entirely to take a snarky shot at ASFN posters and Suns fans. I hope you feel better getting that out of your system.

As stated, the process for selecting them can be discussed and debated but they are players who play an important role in a teams success. Outside of one individual being awarded at years end, a lot of their contributions go unrecognized. Adding a Sixth Man to the All-Star team would be crediting them for what they do and also acknowledging that they may produce similar stat lines if they started rather than coming off the bench for their team.

To quote the article I originally linked...

"The Sixth Man of the Year Award is one of the most anticipated awards that gets discussed throughout the year – but historically, it hasn’t been significant enough to warrant an All-Star appearance. How can we ignore the sacrifices these players make for the betterment of their teams? How good would these players be if they started instead?"

Lou Williams is a perfect example of someone who posted near All-Star numbers last year and being the best player on a Clippers team that made the playoffs and gave the Warriors a good fight in round 1 but as a Sixth Man he wasn't even considered a snub for a All-Star spot.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I mentioned fan voting would be a mess and how that wouldn't be the sole criteria used for selection and you disregard that entirely to take a snarky shot at ASFN posters and Suns fans. I hope you feel better getting that out of your system..

I don't follow the rosters of every team in the NBA. That would be a chore.

I respect our posters who do. I learn a lot from it. But I don't think the average
fan across the country knows the best 6th man on every team either.

I would suggest you not be so quick to attack with name calling. Are you really
insulted because I questioned the idea that you described as a "nightmare"?

I have never insulted a fellow poster because I question his suggestion. It is
unfair when you say I'm taking "a snarky shot at ASFN posters and Suns fans".

I was using humor. 'Sorry if it offended you.

Hoop, you are too good a poster to play the villain. Peace, brother! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lillard injured. He mentions Devin Booker as a replacement.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the video of Damian Lillard mentioning Devin Booker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So hope Booker gets the invite. That laugh tells me he wants it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Booker deserves it, and still does over at least three of the guys who were picked as reserves, but given the landscape of the NBA, it would not surprise me if Ja Morant was given the invite.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So hope Booker gets the invite. That laugh tells me he wants it.

It's a good answer. He doesn't want to appear desperate, so he invokes the existing plans he's made with his family as a reason he might decline. Realistically, I don't think he can decline; he has a brand to build, and turning down an All-Star invite would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

Reactions: TJ

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good answer. He doesn't want to appear desperate, so he invokes the existing plans he's made with his family as a reason he might decline. Realistically, I don't think he can decline; he has a brand to build, and turning down an All-Star invite would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

Agree Booker's answer was good but I think his feelings showed through in the interview. From what I can tell, he really wants to make the All-Star team. I hope he gets selected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No one turns down their first invitation as an all star.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woot grats Booker you deserve it!!!

Looking forward to watching all star game now and 3 pt contest!!!! Very awesome

I really feel if booker stays here under monty they will find the right lineup to sneak into playoff

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woot grats Booker you deserve it!!!

Looking forward to watching all star game now and 3 pt contest!!!! Very awesome

I really feel if booker stays here under monty they will find the right lineup to sneak into playoff
He hasn’t been named has he?