2020 All Star Watch

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I doubt they would even mention it on the broadcast.

If they did they would just say how disrespectful it was of Ayton to turn down the invitation.

Might be true but that just feeds the narrative of our irrelevancy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Are you F'ng kidding me.

I love Morant's game - but he is a damn rookie averaging 17 points a game. That is 5 times as disrespectful if he makes it in over Book compared to the others.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Booker getting snubbed shows the flaws in voting for reserves as well. They tried fixing how starters are voted in, splitting it between fan voting, player voting, and press voting. I think they should have the player and press voting used for the reserves as well instead of it being strictly the coaches who select the reserves.

Booker finished 4th amongst guards with the player voting. He was only behind Harden, Luka, and Lillard. For media voting there was a 7 person tie for 4th, with Harden, Luka, and Lillard finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, respectively. The tie included Steph Curry, which makes me wonder if there just an error putting the image together because I don't see how or why the media would vote him in when he hasn't played for months and isn't even talking about returning until March.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No respect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The All-Star selections probably mirror how the coaches and referees look at the Suns.

I'm sure this has an impact on the officiating. The Suns do not seem to get the close calls many other teams and players get.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think Booker getting snubbed shows the flaws in voting for reserves as well. They tried fixing how starters are voted in, splitting it between fan voting, player voting, and press voting. I think they should have the player and press voting used for the reserves as well instead of it being strictly the coaches who select the reserves.

Booker finished 4th amongst guards with the player voting. He was only behind Harden, Luka, and Lillard. For media voting there was a 7 person tie for 4th, with Harden, Luka, and Lillard finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, respectively. The tie included Steph Curry, which makes me wonder if there just an error putting the image together because I don't see how or why the media would vote him in when he hasn't played for months and isn't even talking about returning until March.

Media (and maybe players as well) only vote for the 3 forward and 2 guard spots, and essentially all of them had some combination of Harden, Luka and Lillard for those spots. Nobody else received a vote from the media.

That is what I understood from some random reddit thread when i saw it earlier this week.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson made a pre-game comment about Ayton's suspension
playing a role in why Book was not selected.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I pretty much think all Phoenix sports do not get enough respect. We are the fifth biggest metropoltan area in the US, not some sleepy cow town anymore. Pretty much none of our teams get any respect. When the Dbacks won the World Series there was more hating because Collangelo and company pulled it off so quickly. I just think PHX always has to overcome the odds.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aaaaand their comments come 100% true tonight at the end of game when Paul stepped up for a win and book choked for a loss.

Cause and effect backwards. Booker is completely dejected. You could tell from this game, just as you could tell from his statements today (particularly those discussed by Burns and Gambo).

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I pretty much think all Phoenix sports do not get enough respect. We are the fifth biggest metropoltan area in the US, not some sleepy cow town anymore. Pretty much none of our teams get any respect. When the Dbacks won the World Series there was more hating because Collangelo and company pulled it off so quickly. I just think PHX always has to overcome the odds.

Phoenix in general still has the sleepy cow town feel. There is nothing here that says big city metropolitan area regardless of the population. Not sure what Phoenix is known for except being hot. Maybe that has something to with it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix in general still has the sleepy cow town feel. There is nothing here that says big city metropolitan area regardless of the population. Not sure what Phoenix is known for except being hot. Maybe that has something to with it.

I think the bigger problem is that Suns fans got spoiled. From about 1988 through 2010 it seemed like winning 50 games was a given. The fan base was rabid, when we were in the playoffs the city streets were like a ghost town during games.

Good I miss those days.

Listen to that crowd, freaking rabid.

Also, why is Jeff Munn not the PA announcer anymore? Maybe he makes more money doing the random play by play gigs he gets. I'm friends with Vince Marotta but man... Vinny ain't no Jeff Munn when it comes to introducing a starting lineup.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
The fan base was rabid, when we were in the playoffs the city streets were like a ghost town during games.

I remember that too...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I pretty much think all Phoenix sports do not get enough respect. We are the fifth biggest metropoltan area in the US, not some sleepy cow town anymore. Pretty much none of our teams get any respect. When the Dbacks won the World Series there was more hating because Colangelo and company pulled it off so quickly. I just think PHX always has to overcome the odds.

To set the record straight, once again, Phoenix is the fifth most populated city in the country, not metropolitan area.

When I researched it a little over a year ago, we were the 14th largest NBA market. Which put us right in the middle.

But, yes, throughout our history, we have never acted like anything other than a small market team. So your point is
well taken.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... Also, why is Jeff Munn not the PA announcer anymore? Maybe he makes more money doing the random play by play gigs he gets. I'm friends with Vince Marotta but man... Vinny ain't no Jeff Munn when it comes to introducing a starting lineup.

Jeff was not only a great court side announcer, he was excellent calling basketball and baseball play-by-play the few times he was called upon.

The D-backs once held an MLB trivia contest for its employees and Jeff came in second only to Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick, he of
old-time baseball card fame, whose age put him a lot farther back than Jeff.

I emailed Jeff, wondering why he was not given the chance to do play-by-play and commenting that he was like the smoothest of them all --
Vin Scully. Jeff responded, in a passive way, that he didn't get the breaks. Which sounded like he didn't have it in him to play politics.

That was a shame. To have an announcer in the style of the great Vin Scully right here in Phoenix would have been awesome.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To set the record straight, once again, Phoenix is the fifth most populated city in the country, not metropolitan area.

When I researched it a little over a year ago, we were the 14th largest NBA market. Which put us right in the middle.

But, yes, throughout our history, we have never acted like anything other than a small market team. So your point is
well taken.

Phoenix passed Boston this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

well taken.

Phoenix is the #11 media market in the country. There are various ways of measuring but I think Nielsen is the gold standard.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the bigger problem is that Suns fans got spoiled. From about 1988 through 2010 it seemed like winning 50 games was a given. The fan base was rabid, when we were in the playoffs the city streets were like a ghost town during games.

Good I miss those days.

Listen to that crowd, freaking rabid.

Also, why is Jeff Munn not the PA announcer anymore? Maybe he makes more money doing the random play by play gigs he gets. I'm friends with Vince Marotta but man... Vinny ain't no Jeff Munn when it comes to introducing a starting lineup.
Barkley was our Michael Jordan. With the games that man played for us and the numbers he put up when he was here, I cannot believe the Suns Franchise won't at least have a luke warm recognition of him. Would be nice to see him occaisionally in a Sun related fan fest, etc. Even just the once a year sit courtside with the owner. It was really cool to see Bill Russel at the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson