2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we even have a roster spot available? I thought Torres Craig used the final spot.

I'm not sure who would be waived and I don't see James Jones waiving someone here for someone who was bought out. I guess I'd waive Galloway if I had to cut someone loose but I wouldn't be eager to.

The Suns do have a full 15 man roster although they still have one two-way spot open. The last I heard, it was proposed a two way player could play in the playoffs.

Also Injury could create a roster spot. Waiving a player would as well.

If the Suns decided to waive a player I would reluctantly select E'Twaun Moore.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an excellent article on the buyout market which was never intended to exist. It needs to read in the entirety but below is an excerpt.

From Sports Illustrated:

By Howard Beck Updated: Mar 29, 2021 Original: Mar 29, 2021

Some team executives have pushed for reform, to no avail. One suggestion is to make buyout players ineligible for the playoffs unless they have been released at some date before the trade deadline—say, in early February—thus incentivizing teams to trade for the players. Another option would be to create a compensation system, in which the team signing the player has to send a draft pick (or possibly multiple picks, depending on the player) to the player’s former team. A third proposal would be to give each team a cap exception specifically for buyout signings—and limit it to one per season, or even one every two years. A fourth option would be to have teams place a blind bid for bought-out players, using whatever cap room or cap exceptions they have available, with the player awarded to the highest bidder.

The small-market execs hope the issue gets addressed in the next CBA, which would begin in 2024, after the current deal expires. But they are not particularly optimistic. As they see it, NBA officials are driven by marketing and money, and having marquee names congregate in glamor markets, or on title contenders, is good for ratings.

“The way you know the NBA doesn’t think it’s a problem is they’re reticent to acknowledge it’s been a problem,” says one of the small-market execs. “The inaction tells you, ‘We’re cool with it.' "

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/03/29/nba-buyouts-andre-drummond-blake-griffin

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a link to an excellent article on the buyout market which was never intended to exist. It needs to read in the entirety but below is an excerpt.

From Sports Illustrated:

Some team executives have pushed for reform, to no avail. One suggestion is to make buyout players ineligible for the playoffs unless they have been released at some date before the trade deadline—say, in early February—thus incentivizing teams to trade for the players. Another option would be to create a compensation system, in which the team signing the player has to send a draft pick (or possibly multiple picks, depending on the player) to the player’s former team. A third proposal would be to give each team a cap exception specifically for buyout signings—and limit it to one per season, or even one every two years. A fourth option would be to have teams place a blind bid for bought-out players, using whatever cap room or cap exceptions they have available, with the player awarded to the highest bidder.

The small-market execs hope the issue gets addressed in the next CBA, which would begin in 2024, after the current deal expires. But they are not particularly optimistic. As they see it, NBA officials are driven by marketing and money, and having marquee names congregate in glamor markets, or on title contenders, is good for ratings.

“The way you know the NBA doesn’t think it’s a problem is they’re reticent to acknowledge it’s been a problem,” says one of the small-market execs. “The inaction tells you, ‘We’re cool with it.' "

It's a problem. It's only the receiving markets--LA and NY--that don't think so. Teams that lose players should be compensated. Teams that get them should have to pay. I can sure see how a team would be frustrated at having to pay the salary for a star player while they pursue a championship for a major market on the cheap--and it all happened because the player quit on you.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

From Sports Illustrated:

Good read. I think they should change it up like they did years back when amnesty players were waived and other teams bid for them. That's how the Suns got Luis Scola, for reference. There was a blind bidding system to it and also priority based on record like the waiver wire.

Short of that limiting how often a team can sign a buyout player would help also. The Nets adding both Griffin and Aldridge this year was unusual but shouldn't be allowed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read. I think they should change it up like they did years back when amnesty players were waived and other teams bid for them. That's how the Suns got Luis Scola, for reference. There was a blind bidding system to it and also priority based on record like the waiver wire.

Short of that limiting how often a team can sign a buyout player would help also. The Nets adding both Griffin and Aldridge this year was unusual but shouldn't be allowed.

and thats on top of a harden trade. the trade is legit but getting two more guys do to the buyout is an issue. Maybe one guy but two?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a problem. It's only the receiving markets--LA and NY--that don't think so. Teams that lose players should be compensated. Teams that get them should have to pay. I can sure see how a team would be frustrated at having to pay the salary for a star player while they pursue a championship for a major market on the cheap--and it all happened because the player quit on you.

I'd like to see them make buyout players ineligible for the playoffs unless waived well before the trade deadline.

Also I like the idea of a bidding system as Hoop Head suggested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awhile back the Suns were reportedly one of the teams interested in Alize Johnson.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kevin Durant is embarrassing himself on social media again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...homophobic-misogynistic-dms-from-kevin-durant

I think the only surprising part of that story is that Durant didn't create a second account to agree with himself.

The Nets might be the first team to have the 3 most loathable stars in the league all on the same squad.

I know he's no longer a star but add Blake Griffin to that trio to make it a loathsome foursome. He had been one of the leagues most detestable stars before the public turned on KD, Harden, or Kyrie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember Richard Jefferson once saying a lot of pro athletes are still in middle school from an emotional standpoint.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies aren’t hood enough in these situations. It was a one-word blunder. It was a tirade. It’s who he is.

Neither one of these guys would make my buddy list but man, to take a private conversation public like that - that's low even for Rapaport.

As for the apology, I don't know what to think. I know that earlier in my life I'd occasionally make inappropriate comments in closed situations that were solely for effect, they did not represent the way I really felt. No surprise, alcohol usually played a huge role in those conversations.

Anyway, while I don't think it's necessarily fair to assume his private conversation with Rapaport is representative of the way he feels, I'm not quite comfortable in writing Durant's words off as "locker room" talk either. Which is another way of saying his apology is better than silence but it probably won't change anyone's perception of the man. He's given us glimpses into who he is long before this incident.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Neither one of these guys would make my buddy list but man, to take a private conversation public like that - that's low even for Rapaport.

As for the apology, I don't know what to think. I know that earlier in my life I'd occasionally make inappropriate comments in closed situations that were solely for effect, they did not represent the way I really felt. No surprise, alcohol usually played a huge role in those conversations.

Anyway, while I don't think it's necessarily fair to assume his private conversation with Rapaport is representative of the way he feels, I'm not quite comfortable in writing Durant's words off as "locker room" talk either. Which is another way of saying his apology is better than silence but it probably won't change anyone's perception of the man. He's given us glimpses into who he is long before this incident.
An inappropriate comment here or there is certainly not uncommon amongst friends. Durants tirade went way beyond that imo. But that’s just my opinion.

As for rappaport making it public, I suppose (a) it depends, are they buddies? If so not cool. If not, Durant is an idiot for thinking it would stay private; and (b) Durant is still an idiot bc a public figure like him should never put anything in writing that he doesn’t want out in the public eye.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah, I watched the game last night with the Clippers. Playoff intensity and "foul style". Denver is really strong. They still don't defend, but the offense is top-notch.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve adapted psychologically to not worry about the haves in the league. I’m thrilled the Suns have improved and am so excited for the playoffs. If it ends up being Lakers-Nets in the finals, I just don’t really care about the finals aside from hoping Nash wins while I don’t watch.

I wish the Suns were able to improve at the deadline or with a buyout, but they didn’t have much room to do so and I’m glad they have improved in ways they can control.