2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That to me disqualifies him.

No other reason, I just don’t like jerks and he went to ASU. So I guess at least one other reason.

In the ESPN article James Harden's reported quote is more nuanced. Note the inclusion of the word "feel."

Malika Andrews ESPN Staff Writer:

"Do I feel like I belong in it? I feel like I am the MVP," the Brooklyn Nets star said. "I mean, it's just that simple. I don't want to be speaking individually on myself. I am just going to leave it at that."

When asked to bolster his MVP case, Harden chuckled and added: "Numbers are showing it for itself, and we're winning. That's all I can say."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ks-mvp-another-huge-performance-brooklyn-nets

There is nothing wrong with Harden saying this. He has played like the MVP. If he is a former Sun Devil, so much the better.

:sparky:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well in all seriousness, I guess if you consider how bad the Rockets got after he left, he was pretty damn valuable. And he’s carrying that Nets team with their absences.

Looking around the league you have to wonder where his competition is. Giannis right now maybe, and I hate to say it, if the Jazz stay in that #1 seed for the rest of the season, does Donovan Mitchell get consideration?

Mitchell isn't a good enough defender for consideration right now. He's not terrible but Gobert carries that teams defenses and everyone knows that. Mitchell is their bucket getter but their offense is balanced pretty well so he doesn't really carry them offensively either.

You're forgetting Jokic and Embiid, who will both finish top 5, maybe even top 3 in voting. If Denver gets hot and can clinch a top 2 or 3 seed in the West then I think Jokic will become the favorite.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitchell isn't a good enough defender for consideration right now. He's not terrible but Gobert carries that teams defenses and everyone knows that. Mitchell is their bucket getter but their offense is balanced pretty well so he doesn't really carry them offensively either.

You're forgetting Jokic and Embiid, who will both finish top 5, maybe even top 3 in voting. If Denver gets hot and can clinch a top 2 or 3 seed in the West then I think Jokic will become the favorite.

agree on Mitchell. If he was totally lighting up the league there would be more talk but he’s about the same he always has been, which is very good to great but not MVP. That team just has great chemistry right now. The whole being more than the sum of its parts.

I think Embiid gets dinged because of his injury and the fact that the Sixers are still winning without him.

Jokic makes a run at it if Denver keeps coming on strong, but I think it’s Harden’s to lose right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Harden is a jerk because his team made every move he asked yet he still quit on them. He waited until the start of the season to demand a trade then showed up fat and dogged it on the court for a rookie HC. Going to ASU certainly didn’t help. :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Harden is a jerk because his team made every move he asked yet he still quit on them. He waited until the start of the season to demand a trade then showed up fat and dogged it on the court for a rookie HC. Going to ASU certainly didn’t help. :D
I just can’t stand what he’s done with to the game with all the flopping. To me that’s not basketball. I also hate the stupid “rip through.” I know Paul does it, and as long as it’s called I guess I’m “happy” my team takes advantage of it too, but that’s also just not basketball. Like, you’d never do that in a pickup game of basketball. It’s not really a “basketball move.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've mentioned Harden's weight over and over in many of your posts.

Does it trouble you fat guys really know how to play basketball? :mrgreen:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I don't know. I'm not forgetting Jokic or Embiid. Denver has had a subpar (for them) year, and if they go on a winning streak now it's because of the trades they just made, not Jokic. And isn't Embiid injured right now? But the reality is that the NBA is terrible at choosing the MVP -- it should be MPP, Most Popular Player, because by definition, Most Valuable Player means something different than what usually happens.

I agree with you about Mitchell, but if the Jazz do maintain the #1 seed, they have to consider him. I don't think they would ever consider Gobert as an MVP, even though technically he should be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad Al Horford couldn't have found his way his way to the Suns via a buyout.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver has had a subpar (for them) year, and if they go on a winning streak now it's because of the trades they just made, not Jokic. And isn't Embiid injured right now? But the reality is that the NBA is terrible at choosing the MVP -- it should be MPP, Most Popular Player, because by definition, Most Valuable Player means something different than what usually happens.

I agree with you about Mitchell, but if the Jazz do maintain the #1 seed, they have to consider him. I don't think they would ever consider Gobert as an MVP, even though technically he should be.

Do you really think that's accurate? To me (and off the top of my head), the award has gone to the actual or at least arguable most valuable player probably more than 80% of the time. I think the All NBA teams are based a lot more on reputation and popularity than the MVP award is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to actively root against the Nets with the talent they have but with Nash as their head coach I can't bring myself to do it. Seeing him get a ring as a head coach in his first year would be cool, so long as its not against us in the finals.

He has Amare and D'Antoni as assistants also and I wouldn't mind seeing Amare get one also.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to actively root against the Nets with the talent they have but with Nash as their head coach I can't bring myself to do it. Seeing him get a ring as a head coach in his first year would be cool, so long as its not against us in the finals.

He has Amare and D'Antoni as assistants also and I wouldn't mind seeing Amare get one also.

didn’t think about that. I’d rather see Nash get a ring as HC than LeBron and the Lakers get another one.

If we’re not in it, I still want to see Lakers v. Nets so we can have the equivalent of a rubber match between LeBron and KD if they’re both healthy.

Bron beat him with the stacked Heat. KD beat him with the stacked Warriors. One final showdown with both teams stacked would just be fun for history sake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report Mitchell Robinson suffers fractured right foot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media