2018 1st round pick is Josh Rosen

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the Cardinals' case, Rosen gets the headlines. He was proclaimed the most NFL-ready by most draft experts of all the QBs that came out, so it stands to reason now that he is on a team people are waiting to see -- or predicting -- that Rosen indeed will supplant Bradford in the starting lineup. And it's true that Rosen has looked solid in OTAs. Those who have been out there can see it themselves, and coach Steve Wilks has definitely offered praise.

But, as noted in the headline, it's just June.

This isn't to throw cold water on Rosen expectations. Bottom line, he's the QB of the future. That's what he was selected to be, and what the Cardinals count on. There, however, is a long way between now and Sept. 9 against Washington. There is a long way between practice football without pads and QBs never getting hit (this time of year) to practice football with pads but still never getting hit (training camp) to preseason games where you can get hit but gameplans both offensively and defensively are fairly basic, to regular-season football.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/qb-story-intriguing-but-it-s-just-june

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very exciting for training camp, and preseason.

I am in the camp that it would be best to let Rosen sit and watch for a few before sending him out there.

This time is going to be competitive, but I do not think they are contenders yet. Might as well let the team gel under the new system and "get the bugs out" before adding a new QB, to both the team and league into the mix as well.

JMHO
+1

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Mine too! Except I broke my foot on Cinco de Mayo — no one's more relieved than Roadrunner Sports, where I'd exchange my worn out shoes before their 90-day return policy expired.

I adore their Adi-zero shoes because it keeps the impact at the forefront of the foot which is the natural fall of the foot and not the heel. All those support shoes with the large rear arch actually promote more pressure on the joints by encouraging you to land on the heel. A good change up if you ever have any foot problems is Brooks, their Launch 4 is a great shoe and I use a pair every so often since at my age and the speed I run I picked up the dreaded plantar fasciitis which makes itself known to a degree every so often... it allows me to still run with a light shoe with adequate support that does not feel clunky, without missing a beat and going back to the Adidas which just feel right

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals’ Rosen chases perfection not worrying about rookie hurdles
Cardinals rookie quarterback Josh Rosen doesn’t get caught up in expectations.

He doesn’t think about where he should be weeks into his professional career. He only knows that he’s chasing perfection that he’ll likely never achieve.

Maybe that’s why he has drawn praise from his Arizona teammates and coaches over rookie mini-camp and OTAs.

“I try to think on a small scale from a day-to-day basis, hour-to-hour, just try and get better everyday — try to not think about the whole offense but think about that day’s installs,” he told Bickley & Marotta Tuesday on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station. “Regardless of the situation with depth charts or teams, OCs, whatever it is, you always are just trying to put your best foot forwards in any sense. Nobody is going to say you’re stepping on toes if you’re just doing as much as you can every single day. Because if other guys are seeing you doing that, even if you’re the backup, they’ll say, ‘Alright, he’s getting our starter better then.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1550808/cardinals-rookie-qb-josh-rosen-chasing-perfection/

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It’s just sort of a never-ending pursuit for perfection,” Rosen said. “Perfection is unobtainable. You can never actually get it, but you can get closer day by day — actually stole that from Jeff Bridges and a ‘Tron Legacy’ quote. I see sort of competition as competing against yourself and constantly trying to better yourself each day. And hopefully you’ll get as close as you possibly can to perfect — you’ll never actually get there so you can’t drive yourself crazy in the process.

“I just want, whatever activity it is, I want to be great at it. I want to be the best at it. And football in particular, I wanted to sort of put school to the side for a little bit and put everything I had into this just to see how good I could be because I’m really curious.”
What's not to like about this guy? Crazy that he fell to #10 largely on "personality" issues.

...dave

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals rookie QB Josh Rosen impressive but Sam Bradford still the favorite to start season
Over the past month or so, several factors combined to form the perception that Cardinals rookie quarterback Josh Rosen narrowed the gap between himself and Sam Bradford, the starter.

In reality, little, if anything, has changed since the evening of April 26 when the Cardinals drafted Rosen 10th overall.

Bradford, who signed a two-year deal in free agency, remains the starter.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...adford-quarterback-nfl-steve-wilks/673157002/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“With Sam, Mike and Chad (Kanoff), it’s a really awesome, productive, up-tempo quarterback room,” Rosen said Tuesday. “I’m finishing reps, coming off the two-minute period today, and Sam’s giving me tips here and there. I’ll be there for him for anything he ever needs from me. He’s been flattening out the learning curve for me.”
Wilks has made it clear that Bradford will enter training camp as the team’s starting quarterback, but Rosen will have an opportunity to win the job on merit. It’s an open competition that seems to hinge on the degenerative knee of a duct-taped veteran, and if Rosen’s brainpower and arm strength are indomitable forces.

The rookie has a unique advantage. He excels at communication. He hates clichés and people who bring their cellphones to dinner. He’s personable and fully engaged, exhibiting early traits of a great leader. His persona is much different than Bradford’s, an Oklahoma native who is more humbled, reserved and laid-back.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1551...rterback-competition-josh-rosen-sam-bradford/

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
yesterday I watched "a football life" on Troy Aikman.... it surprised me to see the similarities between he and rosen in regards to the scouting reports.

Troy was called the chosen one...we have the Rosen one

best natural mechanics...

mechanics dont break down in the face of the rush...

mind can easily digest the pro game...

it was uncanny...which made me laugh a bit recalling how aikman himself said there was not a franchise qb in the 2018 draft

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Unless he gets hit by a meteorite going to practice (or a Ram defender without his shots), we have a franchise QB. Thank you to the rest of the NFL for being over evaluated morons on supposed character issues... oh, and Buffalo, maybe you need to stop talking up your guy Allen and putting salt on the wound once he starts sucking in actual games :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Unless he gets hit by a meteorite going to practice (or a Ram defender without his shots), we have a franchise QB. Thank you to the rest of the NFL for being over evaluated morons on supposed character issues... oh, and Buffalo, maybe you need to stop talking up your guy Allen and putting salt on the wound once he starts sucking in actual games :)
it surprised me to see that of all the rookie qb's,... Rosen gets way more coverage on NFLN than the others. actually more than all the others combined.

at least in the few hours a week I watch

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
it surprised me to see that of all the rookie qb's,... Rosen gets way more coverage on NFLN than the others. actually more than all the others combined.

at least in the few hours a week I watch

Brains and accuracy is what secures the position and he has both. I was watching a video from his high school days where they where highlighting his accuracy on a local newscast. Of course anything can go awry, but I think the media is latching on to a story with uncanny duplicity which they enacted initially on one side of the spectrum and now turning it into something when Rosen's "nine mistakes before me" comes true... we have a quarterback and basically gave up a fifth to move up five spots and get him :)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully he can do it. But the media needs to pump the brakes and stop foisting pressure on him like he's Peyton Manning or something.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was reading a pre-draft publication that listed the top potential picks in the latest draft. Nine of the top 50 were 5 star High School recruits and Rosen was number 2 on that list.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“It’s all about building your internal clock,” rookie quarterback Josh Rosen said. “You can’t hold on to the ball too much. You can’t have a completion and applaud yourself even though you saw three defensive linemen run by you. You have to play it realistically and get the ball out of your hands as quickly as possible, because your best protection is a quick throw. I’m trying to do my offensive line as many favors as I can and get the ball out quick.”
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-quarterbacks-build-internal-clocks

Coach Steve Wilks said quarterbacks coach Byron Leftwich does a great job emphasizing the importance of decisiveness, and a play by Rosen at Wednesday’s minicamp was a good example that he’s grasping the instruction.
“Josh really felt the pressure in the pocket starting to collapse, did a great job stepping up, keeping his eyes down the field and making a completed ball,” Wilks said. “You can see his athleticism, but most importantly, his focus not to be a runner first and still have his attention down the field, trying to execute the pass.”

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose