2018 1st round pick is Josh Rosen

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Case / Worst Case scenarios for 11 offensive rookies:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...st-bestcaseworstcase-for-11-offensive-rookies

Josh Rosen, QB, Arizona Cardinals

No. 10 overall pick, Round 1, UCLA

Best-case scenario: The Cardinals want to start veteran QB Sam Bradford, but Rosen's exceptional talent and high IQ could make it tough to keep the rookie on the bench, particularly if he lights up the preseason. Rosen has the arm talent to make all of the throws to every area of the field, while also displaying the anticipatory skills to throw pass catchers open in traffic. With established playmakers like Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson creating big-play opportunities for newbies like receiver Christian Kirk, Rosen could make a play for the Offensive Rookie of the Year award as a starter.

Worst-case scenario: Rosen isn't able to overtake Bradford immediately, but he gets his shot to run the team when the veteran quarterback succumbs to an injury behind a shaky offensive line. The leaky front five could keep No. 3 on the run, affecting his accuracy, judgment and ball security. Considering the correlation between turnovers and winning football, the Cardinals' suspect offensive line could prevent Rosen from playing like an all-rookie quarterback, despite the presence of a solid supporting cast around him.

Projected stats: 62 percent completion rate, 3,200 passing yards, 18 touchdowns, 12 interceptions

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Bills camp:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Bills camp:

Wait, a QB with accuracy issues in college is still showing accuracy issues? Haven't they coached that out of him yet? I thought it was just a matter of spending a few hours on a Tuesday to work on some footwork/mechanics.

Every year some team falls in love with the big armed inaccurate guy, convincing themselves the accuracy will improve.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So glad we got Rosen and not Allen.

Well yea, I think we did the best we could considering the corner BA painted us into over the last few years with no future plan for QB for when Palmer eventually declined/retired/got injured, let alone a backup plan (oh, that was Stanton!). That crap is what kept Stanton in the #2 spot for all those years, and you never know what could have happened, but if he had a solid backup in the wings instead of him things might have been different in 2014, and maybe even 2015. I'm really glad to see the BA era behind us, but he left us in a bad spot where we were forced to pick between a year of cycling thru retreads or drafting in one of the weakest QB years.

I'm not a Rosen fan (hopefully he can change that with his pro play), but the risk/reward ratio is favorable. I would have happily traded the QB roster we have today for the two years. I'm excited to see if Wilks will, like any consistently successful HC, run the team like a business instead of a social club. If BA could had the wherewithal to be continually trying to upgrade deficient positions despite the personal relationships, I feel like he could got to a SB here in AZ.

A big question I want to see is will SK thrive without BA here or continue to be mediocre. I think is was safe to say that BA had a lot of influence over SK, more so than I believe most HCs have in the GM role. Will SK have more flexibility to make the right moves, and patch holes quickly, or will it be more of the same? If SK doesn't step his game up this year he needs to hit the bricks too, whether or not Rosen turns out to be star or not - he can't keep hanging his hat on making one good move each year.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wait, a QB with accuracy issues in college is still showing accuracy issues? Haven't they coached that out of him yet? I thought it was just a matter of spending a few hours on a Tuesday to work on some footwork/mechanics.

Every year some team falls in love with the big armed inaccurate guy, convincing themselves the accuracy will improve.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
And I'm glad it wasn't the cards ... and I'm glad we didn't have the guy that didn't sign his contract either.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Darnold slotted how has he not signed yet
Off set language, similar to Joey Bosa from a few years ago. I find it interesting that there are still teams that worry about it. If you think there is a chance you would end up cutting your top 10 pick, then you need new people to make those picks.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't Darnold slotted how has he not signed yet
The contract standoff between Darnold and the Jets has been characterized as being about one issue — offsets in his contract. But that is only one issue. There is contract language that the two sides are fighting over. It involves how money is paid out, and when and why the team could void Darnold’s guaranteed money. Teams sometimes insert provisions about voiding a player’s contract for a suspension or even a fine. It is unclear specifically what the Jets and Darnold are haggling over, but the language in the contract appears to be the biggest issue.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/28/jets-sam-darnold-saga-continues-with-new-hurdle/

Reaction score
A big question I want to see is will SK thrive without BA here or continue to be mediocre. I think is was safe to say that BA had a lot of influence over SK, more so than I believe most HCs have in the GM role. Will SK have more flexibility to make the right moves, and patch holes quickly, or will it be more of the same? If SK doesn't step his game up this year he needs to hit the bricks too, whether or not Rosen turns out to be star or not - he can't keep hanging his hat on making one good move each year.

He's been the best GM we've had & he has the 7th best winning record in the last 5 years. That ranking would be higher if not for all of the injuries.

''Since Keim became general manager, Arizona is 49-30-1 in the regular season, good for the seventh-best winning percentage (61.9) in the NFL. Arizona's 49 wins are the most in any five-year period in franchise history.''

https://www.upi.com/Arizona-Cardinals-extend-contract-of-general-manager-Steve-Keim/4491518467568/