2018 1st round pick is Josh Rosen

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep running this through my mind. SK picks up Bradford in FA because he isn't going to pay Cousins that stupid money and Bradford is a quality QB, just has trouble staying healthy. Then he signs Glennon as insurance for Bradford's injuries and possibly long term back up QB.

Talk about keeping your powder dry, SK has not over paid in the past couple of drafts to get a QBOTF and simply let's the draft come to him this year to land Rosen. Giving up a 3rd and 5th round pick to get you QBOTF is crazy good. Many fans said SK didn't have the cajones to trade up or even simply spend a draft pick to get a QBOTF. Thing is SK knew that at some point the right situation would come up for him to make his move without overpaying.

Rosen has the IT factor and could/should be a top elite QB and the Cards stole him like the Packers stole Rodgers. I couldn't be more excited about the Cards future.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I keep running this through my mind. SK picks up Bradford in FA because he isn't going to pay Cousins that stupid money and Bradford is a quality QB, just has trouble staying healthy. Then he signs Glennon as insurance for Bradford's injuries and possibly long term back up QB.

Talk about keeping your powder dry, SK has not over paid in the past couple of drafts to get a QBOTF and simply let's the draft come to him this year to land Rosen. Giving up a 3rd and 5th round pick to get you QBOTF is crazy good. Many fans said SK didn't have the cajones to trade up or even simply spend a draft pick to get a QBOTF. Thing is SK knew that at some point the right situation would come up for him to make his move without overpaying.

Rosen has the IT factor and could/should be a top elite QB and the Cards stole him like the Packers stole Rodgers. I couldn't be more excited about the Cards future.

Let's be realistic though, SK was offering all of the money in the world for Cousins, he just took a better situation.

If you had asked me if I wanted Cousins for that contract or what we paid for Rosen in picks, I know my answer all day long, and it's Rosen. But I would have laughed at the idea that we could possibly get Rosen for any compensation, much less the paltry amount we gave away.

I'm still in love with this.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
SK was offering all of the money in the world for Cousins, he just took a better situation.

I'm not so sure that this is true, unless I am miss something. He took 90 mil guaranteed, but if they tag him for a couple of years probably adds about 65 mil to his 90. Isn't that what the Cards were offering? I mean I think the money was close, I personally think it had more to do with being closer to their family in Michigan.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that this is true, unless I am miss something. He took 90 mil guaranteed, but if they tag him for a couple of years probably adds about 65 mil to his 90. Isn't that what the Cards were offering? I mean I think the money was close, I personally think it had more to do with being closer to their family in Michigan.
Well, I didn't necessarily mean the better financial situation in terms of total dollars, just the chance to win... and be back on the market in three years.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Andre Smith: Cardinals’ Rosen ‘demands our attention’ in huddle
“The command, he demands our attention in the huddle, the way he speaks out the play, there’s no mumble or jumble, he says it very well,” offensive lineman Andre Smith said of rookie quarterback Josh Rosen while on with Bickley & Marotta on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station Wednesday. “He’s just a great leader and he’s showing it right now.”
http://arizonasports.com/story/1530213/andre-smith-cardinals-rosen-demands-our-attention-huddle/

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draft moves are always a roll of the dice.

That said - the move to trade up for Rosen didn't cost us the farm and sets us up for a Plan B should Bradford get injured or Glennon lack the chops.

It's a lot easier to address other roster problems when you're not continually wondering: "But what are we gonna do at QB?"

So far, what I see is a young rookie who's checking off all the athletic, mental boxes and intangible boxes as he progresses from day to day.

While you never can totally predict how a young QB will do in real games (with "live" bullets whizzing overhead)...so far so good - Gotta be fairly happy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

three years fully guaranteed... then if they play the franchise tag game he can get a couple more years fully guaranteed...he got the last couple seasons fully guaranteed....if he forces another contract like this one,...hell Cousins may end up with ten years of fully guaranteed nfl contracts with average salaries around 28mil a year.

he played on the desperation of the vikes and milked them like a bloated heifer...

Keim was never going to offer that short a deal...we needed a qb to ensure the teams future...not just another short term stop gap.... where as the short term was mandatory for cousins...so he can milk them yet again while he is still in his prime.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Draft moves are always a roll of the dice.

That said - the move to trade up for Rosen didn't cost us the farm and sets us up for a Plan B should Bradford get injured or Glennon lack the chops.

It's a lot easier to address other roster problems when you're not continually wondering: "But what are we gonna do at QB?"

So far, what I see is a young rookie who's checking off all the athletic, mental boxes and intangible boxes as he progresses from day to day.

While you never can totally predict how a young QB will do in real games (with "live" bullets whizzing overhead)...so far so good - Gotta be fairly happy.
yep.

suxx that as a cardinal fan we cant just be happy and excited about it.

because we all know, all it takes is one game and suddenly Mike Glennon is our starting QB all year.

excitement always has to be tempered down to cautiously optimistic with us, lol

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
three years fully guaranteed... then if they play the franchise tag game he can get a couple more years fully guaranteed...he got the last couple seasons fully guaranteed....if he forces another contract like this one,...hell Cousins may end up with ten years of fully guaranteed nfl contracts with average salaries around 28mil a year.

he played on the desperation of the vikes and milked them like a bloated heifer...

Keim was never going to offer that short a deal...we needed a qb to ensure the teams future...not just another short term stop gap.... where as the short term was mandatory for cousins...so he can milk them yet again while he is still in his prime.

None of that is my point, it was reported that the cards offered him somewhere near 156 Mil with 90 guaranteed. So the last two year of the contract would be worth somewhere near 66 mil, about the same as he would get from being tagged in MN. So my point was it's the same money, so IMO that was not the deciding factor, and why I believe as it was reported that his wife wanted to be close to Michigan and her family.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“They’re new members of the NFL and say, ‘Hey, I want to stick around and practice,’” said Ahmad Nassar, president of NFL Players, Inc., the licensing and marketing arm of the union. “We understand that and so does the NFL. The reality is we can’t force them to come.”

While the minutiae of the interpretation of the CBA might not move the needle, it’s at least a bit of evidence (such that he should have to provide any) that Rosen wanted to stay in Arizona and work on his craft.

That’s the kind the thing that people who care about football do.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals rookie quarterback Josh Rosen not a long shot to start over Sam Bradford

Odds remain favorable Sam Bradford will start at quarterback when the Cardinals open the seasonSept. 9 against Washington.

But this week, coach Steve Wilks reiterated what he said during the draft: Rookie Josh Rosen could beat out Bradford between now and September.

“Smart, this guy is extremely smart,” Wilks said of Rosen, the 10th overall pick. “His ability to see certain things from the defense and pick it up quickly and execute … I don’t want to say this, but he has the mindset of a vet, the way he sees the game.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...osh-rosen-sam-bradford-steve-wilks/641426002/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals RB D.J. Foster: Josh Rosen will be ‘exciting for the future, or now’
“It’s unbelievable to see his confidence as a rookie to come in here and make some of the passes he has been making,” Foster said. “He’s definitely a very talented young man and it’s exciting to watch him go out there and do some of the spectacular things he can do.

“You can tell he is just getting started. He is going to be exciting for the future, or now.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1537...rosen-will-be-exciting-for-the-future-or-now/

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Woot woot! All aboard the hype train!

Perhaps, by the 3rd pre-season game, we can have Rosen firmly established as "franchise savior", and the shrine-making can begin in earnest. :)

I'm joking some, but I'm also still a little traumatized by the Leinart crash and burn. Matt was not quite as highly touted a prospect coming out of USC as is Rosen correct? But it's close enough so that maybe we should keep 2007 in the back of our minds.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Woot woot! All aboard the hype train!

Perhaps, by the 3rd pre-season game, we can have Rosen firmly established as "franchise savior", and the shrine-making can begin in earnest. :)

I'm joking some, but I'm also still a little traumatized by the Leinart crash and burn. Matt was not quite as highly touted a prospect coming out of USC as is Rosen correct? But it's close enough so that maybe we should keep 2007 in the back of our minds.
Leinart was much more highly touted. Had he come out a year earlier, he would have been the unanimous choice for #1 overall, to the 49ers.

Instead he went back to school to take ballroom dancing, and play out his final year of eligibility. I truly think if he hadn’t lost that championship game to Vince Young, he would have been picked by the Titans at #3 at least.

Rosen was always questioned among Darnold, Jackson, and Rudolph in his college career.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave